2013 Winter Friendly

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I probably won't have time to EV train some uber pokemon I have in my 4th gen games, will most likely use random pokemon at the last minute just for the heck of it lol.

I think I made a HUGE mistake. I locked my battle box without a check/counter to Kyurem-W (and according to the Reports on the PGL site, he was the MOST used pokemon and the prefered item was a choice scarf and a Timid nature)

Just to keep in mind: Timid Scarf Kyurem-W
outspeed Scarf Timid Kyogre
outspeed Scarf Jolly Zekrom
speed tie with a +1 Rayquaza

But, how to beat it?
Scarfed Garchomp OHKO it with outrage (even the Adamant outspeed it)
Scarfed Modest Palkia OKHO it with Spacial Rend (the Timid one have 57% change)

As you already figured out, your best bet against Kyurem-W is to revange kill. (anyone of you with enough guts to try priority againts it?, Lucario, Scizor, Metagross, any mach punch user, all of then got decimated by Fusion Flare or Draco Meteor, so if not is a clean OHKO don't try it)

So any Kyurem-W user you have my permission to plow my entire team, lol.

My personal concern is Scarf-Zekrom because we have to sack one of our Pokemon in order to revengekill it. Couldn't fit in Ferrothorn.
At least we are prepared. Hopefully there won't be too much sand, we have Lugia as a supporter and Tyranitar is darn annoying because of its STAB moves.

LOL why are people locking their Battle Boxes a week beforehand?

I just realized my team is a bit Ho-Oh weak so I might have to retool half my team. Rotom-W seemed like a better counter to it before I looked at damage calcs. Even with its resists, it takes close to 50% damage before it can put up a screen. :(

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Personally I don't think Tyranitar will be too common, but even if it is, I'm not worried about it in the slightest.

I just thought of something. What if someone did use Tyranitar? They are most likely guarenteed the weather-win.

And what if you pair that with a Shell Bell Aron?

Tyranitar can hit ghosts with a Super Effective Crunch. And all Aron has to do is Endavour against most legendaries.

I'm not going to troll people with that though :P

And all Aron has to do is Endavour against most legendaries.
I did say most :P

I know that the first four can break through Aron's Sturdy. Giratina is countered by T-Tar as well. But this is a rotation battle and it's a battle of rock-paper-scissors in the end. Good luck to everyone ^_^

Ubers Rotation. That is ridiculously cool. And also something which probably nobody here has ever attempted.
Although I usually just do the tournaments for the abundance of battles without expecting to place well, I'm hoping to do pretty dang well here because of my experience with GBU Rotation.

I find myself feeling less and less bothered to EV train some legends. At least I still have a few more days. I thought about doing the Aron thing too, it's probably more effective against ubers.

Anyone else think it is close to pointless running a choice item?

I don't anticipate much if any switching to reset the item, and being locked into a disadvantageous move could spell disaster for your team. Thoughts on this?

Regarding Substitute. I love being able to set up a Sub and rotate out while preserving that Sub. Has come in super handy.

Anyone have a decent place in game to practice? Best I've got is PWT Mix Tournament. There I can at least face one likely opponent..

Anyone else think it is close to pointless running a choice item?

I don't anticipate much if any switching to reset the item, and being locked into a disadvantageous move could spell disaster for your team. Thoughts on this?

Regarding Substitute. I love being able to set up a Sub and rotate out while preserving that Sub. Has come in super handy.

Anyone have a decent place in game to practice? Best I've got is PWT Mix Tournament. There I can at least face one likely opponent..
PWT is probably the best place to practice in game, you could always try to find a real person to play though, Thats what i've been doing. Oh and sub is busted :)

PWT is probably the best place to practice in game, you could always try to find a real person to play though, Thats what i've been doing. Oh and sub is busted :)
As a 28yo guy, it's pretty hard without being seen as a huge creeper. Even the local comic shops that host weekly TCG tournaments treat me like a weirdo when I e-mail them about it.. Little do they know I'm a totally normal dude working in financial services who just happens to love Pokemon haha

Re: Sub.. How do you mean it's broken? Dare I ask?

Sub is just really, really effective in Rotation. You can often "arrange" things so that you get two turns off the same sub by rotating into a resist or immunity.

Choice items are an obnoxious issue for me at the moment. I think the best way to go about it would be to keep the choice user as a cleaner and have a couple of mons who can support them. Like, I would encourage somebody to try ScarfOgre here if they think they can eliminate Latias, other Kyogre, etc. But what I don't like about it is how useless a choice mon's coverage moves can be. Unless that coverage move is going to kill that one otherwise insurmountable obstacle, it's not worth it to lock yourself into a nonSTAB. Of course I'm generalizing and rambling, but I just like talking about Rotation.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Still need one more Pokemon to finish my team. Decided to try a Magic Room based team (probably will fail, but whatever) because Scarfed Tail Glow Manaphy FTW!

Welp, I can't enter this competition now because our hi-speed internet got taken away from us. I wanted to wait until tomorrow before locking in my team (still planned on using Darkrai btw), but Comcast decided to be a jerk and cut us off now until the bill's caught up on Friday. :|

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
As long as you've already registered on the website, that's not a problem. You can lock your Battle Box any time before your first match. You don't need to do it before the competition starts. If you get internet access back on Friday, you can start playing on Friday with no problems.

this'll be fun, time to dust off that uber team from when i was 12... brave mewtwo? what was i thinking? time to hit the GTS.

Still need one more Pokemon to finish my team. Decided to try a Magic Room based team (probably will fail, but whatever) because Scarfed Tail Glow Manaphy FTW!
If you use a magic room team I give you props . I like it when people try something different that hasn't or hardly gets used. Although it will be difficult to pull off in this tournament. Just wish you luck and hopefully you have success unlike me who failed with a gimmicky gravity team in the last wifi tournament.

I am using a sandstorm team because I am tired of losing matches do to my gimmicks.

As long as you've already registered on the website, that's not a problem. You can lock your Battle Box any time before your first match. You don't need to do it before the competition starts. If you get internet access back on Friday, you can start playing on Friday with no problems.
Well shoot, good thing I reg'd on the PGL website before I got cutoff. Thanks for that heads-up and GL everyone who competes. Let's bop those noobs!

I have had a few rage quits so far. My best battle today was when I had an LO Arceus vs another paralyzed +2 arceus and a white kyurem. I won with 2 extremespeeds, which was awesome. 6-0 right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)