VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
is there any legal way to get a torchic with its dream world ability?
If you don't have a Japanese game, it can only be obtained by trading. I have a Rash one with HP Ice; if that's not what you're looking for then maybe one of the other people here can help you out or you can ask in the Wi-Fi forum.

If you don't have a Japanese game, it can only be obtained by trading. I have a Rash one with HP Ice; if that's not what you're looking for then maybe one of the other people here can help you out or you can ask in the Wi-Fi forum.
thank you for the help. second question is can you use pokemon you receive from pokecheck at the VGC? i saw somewhere that you could but it said you had to get them with out the ribbon, I don't understand?

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
thank you for the help. second question is can you use pokemon you receive from pokecheck at the VGC? i saw somewhere that you could but it said you had to get them with out the ribbon, I don't understand?
As long as they're legal and don't have the Premier Ribbon, yeah. You have to use Pkm. Files to bypass the ribbon.

How viable is Magnezone on a Goodstuffs team? I was originally going to go with Metagross, but I am in need of a good special attacker and it seems that Magnezone would be a better counter to all the water and flying types I've seen. However, it seems like Magnezone is a lot less popular than Metagross. Are they even comparable, or is this just a bad idea?

How viable is Magnezone on a Goodstuffs team? I was originally going to go with Metagross, but I am in need of a good special attacker and it seems that Magnezone would be a better counter to all the water and flying types I've seen. However, it seems like Magnezone is a lot less popular than Metagross. Are they even comparable, or is this just a bad idea?
Magnezone is... okay, but it's typing & movepool turns one off. Great stats though. It depends on the way your using it. Metagross is such a good Pokemon with it's massive defenses and offense. As well as two stabs that do neutral to a lot of things, and it's priority ability with Bullet Punch. Overall Metagross > Magnezone

Magnezone is a bad idea without proper support.

Thanks. I had a feeling it was something like that... it looks like Metagross is just generally safer. What other Pokemon does Magnezone work well with, and what kind of specific support does it need to succeed?

Also, I guess in regards to my worries, is it a really bad thing to primarily have more physical than special attackers? So far I've got one Special Attacker - I feel like I'm setting myself up for failure that way.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
Well, what exactly are you trying to do with it? If you're just looking for a special Steel-type, it's hard to go wrong with Heatran (unless you're using a rain team, obviously).

To be honest, I was considering Heatran as well, but I'm just worried about the rain teams that seem to be all over the place.

I may need to completely revamp my team. I originally just wanted a hardy, tough steel type to be able to take dragon moves and dish out powerful moves in return, which is why Metagross seemed to fit perfectly. But honestly... I think I am spreading it too thin if it ALSO has to be a good special attacker AND be able to handle itself in case of rain. I might be best off replacing somebody else.

Bah! It's always one step forward two steps back with this team XD There are so many options and I still don't really know what actually works as opposed to what only works in theory! I guess that only comes with experience.

Hey guys!! Is there any good rain room ( Rain + trick room) VGC RMT that u guys know of? I wanna make a Rain room team to counter those that always use thunder wave to take care of rain teams.

Any ideas or opinions? My current idea in mind was using politoed + bronzong as my leads. And main attackers being gyarados and marowak.

Hey guys!! Is there any good rain room ( Rain + trick room) VGC RMT that u guys know of? I wanna make a Rain room team to counter those that always use thunder wave to take care of rain teams.

Any ideas or opinions? My current idea in mind was using politoed + bronzong as my leads. And main attackers being gyarados and marowak.
Here:

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f521/competitive-doubles-vgc-rain-team-137292/

http://www.serebiiforums.com/archive/index.php/t-589907.html

are a couple I got from a simple google search for rainroom teams

Thank you for the links! How about your opinion on rain room? :)
This is one of those strategies that you need to be able to execute correctly. If you feel you can handle it, then go for it because it is very successful when done correctly. I actually made one before so PM me and I can help you build one if you would like :)

Thank you for the links! How about your opinion on rain room? :)
I like rain room, but your team shouldn't rely on it. Have some backup sweepers like Kingdra, ludicolo, etc. also, jellicent is a good TR setter for powerful water spouts.

Yo guys!
I've been thinking for a good Ground Type pokemon to fit in my electric type weak rain team, on my path I crossed with many good pokemons (Sand Force Hippowdon, Garchomp, Rhyperior, Krokodile, Landorus-I, Landorus-T) but most of then come with a Grass weakness that I don't like, some other come with an Ice weakness that I din't want to take the risk. But there was one that stand out the most: Excadrill

Since I run a mono wheather team (just have DrizzleToad) I won't see the benefit from a Sand Rush Excadrill, on nuggetbridge I saw a Mold Breaker Exca that looks like a good idea, but I felt that he was missing something.... Bulk.

On the Uber subforum I found examples of Bulky Excadrill, but all of then was biased for a 1 Vs. 1 metagame (duh!)

My simple question is: Do you think that a Bulky Excadrill could be viable in the VGC2013 metagame?, of course if this Excadrill is Bulky, Sand Rush is a lesser option in favor of Mold Breaker, IMO.

(In your comments don't restrain the bulky exca to my needs of a check to electryc type, think about him on a broader aspect)

Yo guys!
I've been thinking for a good Ground Type pokemon to fit in my electric type weak rain team, on my path I crossed with many good pokemons (Sand Force Hippowdon, Garchomp, Rhyperior, Krokodile, Landorus-I, Landorus-T) but most of then come with a Grass weakness that I don't like, some other come with an Ice weakness that I din't want to take the risk. But there was one that stand out the most: Excadrill

Since I run a mono wheather team (just have DrizzleToad) I won't see the benefit from a Sand Rush Excadrill, on nuggetbridge I saw a Mold Breaker Exca that looks like a good idea, but I felt that he was missing something.... Bulk.

On the Uber subforum I found examples of Bulky Excadrill, but all of then was biased for a 1 Vs. 1 metagame (duh!)

My simple question is: Do you think that a Bulky Excadrill could be viable in the VGC2013 metagame?, of course if this Excadrill is Bulky, Sand Rush is a lesser option in favor of Mold Breaker, IMO.

(In your comments don't restrain the bulky exca to my needs of a check to electryc type, think about him on a broader aspect)
Not really, it just doesn't have the stats. =/

If you want a pokemon that isn't weak to grass, and resists Electric, try Lightningrod Zapdos. It can fill a bulky role quite well. This is what I would use because it draws the attacks in, to up it's special attack. So I would go with this. Your just gonna have to take the ice weakness. With the Lightningrod, you can afford to drop Ev's out of special attack into it's defenses.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Not really, it just doesn't have the stats. =/

If you want a pokemon that isn't weak to grass, and resists Electric, try Lightningrod Zapdos. It can fill a bulky role quite well. This is what I would use because it draws the attacks in, to up it's special attack. So I would go with this. Your just gonna have to take the ice weakness. With the Lightningrod, you can afford to drop Ev's out of special attack into it's defenses.
Lightningrod Zapdos has not been released, it is not legal in the VGC '13 metagame at this time.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
Excadrill actually has surprisingly decent bulk when invested, so it's not as bad an option as GP would lead you to believe.

Yo guys!

Excadrill actually has surprisingly decent bulk when invested, so it's not as bad an option as GP would lead you to believe.

This is true. Its steel type gives it some god resists. a spread of 172 HP / 60 Atk / 116 Def / 156 SpD / 4 Speed works. The extra bulk allows Excadrill to survive Earthquake from Adamant Landorus-I, Heat Wave from Modest Chandelure, Drain Punch from Adamant / Brave Scrafty, Conkeldurr's Mach (and I assume Drain) Punch and Close Combat from Adamant Terrakion with the aid of Chople Berry. With Shuca Berry, Excadrill is
able to survive more ground attacks (haven't calced these, sorry!)

Lightningrod Zapdos has not been released, it is not legal in the VGC '13 metagame at this time.
I thought it was the available with the release of BW2, my bad sorry. Eh, anyway, if you want another option you can try Steelix, but getting hit with surf isn't really worth it. Which leads me into Excadrill! Why do I not like it? Well for starters if "It just doesn't have the stats" leads you to believe it's terrible, then you should probably reread it. It's not really bad, but I wouldn't use it on your rain team because Surf is a common tactic. Unless you don't have a single spread water move on a rain team, it will get hit evantually. Lanturn is much better. Volt Absorb, or water absorb, but VA seems more suited for what say. Lanturn is only weak to grass, and the HP stat is MUCH better than Excadrill's. It also resists surf's so that's a plus. Better user of status moves also.

Would eviolite golbat be good? It looks good on paper with high defenses, super fang toxic, roost, and air slash (flinch)

It's not really bad, but I wouldn't use it on your rain team because Surf is a common tactic. Unless you don't have a single spread water move on a rain team, it will get hit evantually. Lanturn is much better. Volt Absorb, or water absorb, but VA seems more suited for what say. Lanturn is only weak to grass, and the HP stat is MUCH better than Excadrill's. It also resists surf's so that's a plus. Better user of status moves also.
My primary attackers are Specs Hydro Pump Politoed and Muddy Water Kingdra, all the others pokemon in my teams are for support and/or counter common tactics (like prankster T-wave on my Kingdra, that's just nasty)

About Lanturn, I totally forget about him, but that Grass weakness don't give me many switch options, but hey, you cannot cover every weakness!

My primary attackers are Specs Hydro Pump Politoed and Muddy Water Kingdra, all the others pokemon in my teams are for support and/or counter common tactics (like prankster T-wave on my Kingdra, that's just nasty)

About Lanturn, I totally forget about him, but that Grass weakness don't give me many switch options, but hey, you cannot cover every weakness!
Can I have the rest of the pokemon and what they do exactly. Preferably damage dealing moves. You can give Lanturn a Rindo Berry to counter those few grass HP's, and Chandelure's with Energy Ball. Few of those, but I see them every now and then. Lanturn is a great support mon, so I suggest developing a set akin to your team, or I can help if you give me details? ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)