5th Gen OU Analysis Index - 89 BW2 Revamps On Site!

Magikarp is getting Hydro Pump via a Japanese Event, but the Magikarp is only available at level 99, so it is illegal in LC. It remains legal in OU, its best tier.

STAB Hydro Pump in the rain (teammate's Rain Dance or opponent's rain, because Swift Swim + Drizzle is banned) is gonna plow through the biggest defensive behemoths in OU like Rhyhorn or Geodude, and even the unbelievably bulky Magcargo.

252 SpAtk Choice Specs Magikarp (+SpAtk) Hydro Pump in the rain vs 252 HP/252 SpDef Magcargo (+SpDef) : 189,47% - 223,03%
Guaranteed OHKO

Worth updating the analysis a little imo.
OU? Pfft, Magikarp for Ubers mate.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Magikarp Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 84 SpD Ho-Oh in rain: 228-270 (54.93 - 65.06%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I just wanted approval for this idea before I make the edit on SCMS. I think the Skarmory spreads on its analysis should have 224 HP EVs instead of 252 because that way, it regains Sturdy after SR + 2 layers of Leftovers. In my experiences, that has been much more useful than the almost irrelevant extra bulk max HP gives.

So the spreads on each set would be:

224 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD / 24 Spe

and

224 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD / 24 Spe

Y/n?
Skarmory doesn't even need Speed EVs anymore. Timid Wobbuffet is no longer a thing, as evidenced by the OU moveset statistics. Additionally, the Speedy Wobbuffet set on its current analysis only hits 147 Speed, so it is never outspeeding Skarmory under any circumstances. Since there isn't really anything else Skarmory could invest in Speed to outrun without said Speed investment being considered Speed creep, I think we should just stick to 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe for the Defensive set and 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe for the Specially Defensive set. That, and.... When in a match are you actually going to regain Sturdy? It's just not very likely to happen, considering Skarmory is not going to be at maximum health for the majority of the match.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Agreeing with LucaroarkZ, no real reason to use Speed EVs anymore. Anyone that wants to speed creep opposing Skarmory, defensive Toed or whatever, can do it on their own discression.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Idk, SMB - seems very situational on paper. We should vote on this :o
It's fairly situational, but it has actually helped me win some games in the past. Skarmory really appreciates having Sturdy intact when dealing with certain teams, or even just setting up another layer of Spikes against Magnezone. Moving its HP down to 224 doesn't noticeably hinder its bulk at all, especially when you're compensating by moving those EVs into its defenses.

But yea, eliminating the Speed EVs is fine with me.

Dark Fallen Angel

FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!
I can grab up one more analysis if I am permitted, despite currently working on three already. (I don't know if there's a limit on the number of analysis where you can work)

Not sure if this is the right place to post it, but custap berry has be released for a while now, and it is no were to be found on wobbbufett's analysis. I'm just wondering if it included in there, since it's kind of huge. Custap+Destiny bond works really together, I think that may deserve its own set.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It's not worth it's own set, but I can SCMS it in when I have time. When that analysis was written, all of the pinch berries were released except Custap, which was released shortly thereafter the analysis went on-site.

Yo, is anyone planning on doing a Ferrothorn revamp anytime soon? The old EV spread is outdated (EVing to survive a Haxorus EQ is pointless now that it has Superpower at its disposal), and I don't think I've ever seen Banded Ferrothorn. Ever. I'd offer to do it myself, but I'm a bit tied up with school atm.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
i think we're handling Ferrothorn via SCMS changes, but I wont mind you put up a thread of the specific changes you want to see on the analysis

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)