Pikach-Chooses You!

How useful has Pikachu been to you in NU battles?

• Total voters
still its realy just brain storming

What about a double Set up sweeper

Pikachu@Light Ball
Trait:Lighting Road
Nature: Timid
Ev:252 SpAtk/252 Spe
-Thunder Bolt
-Nasty Plot
-Agility
-Hp-Ice/Grass Not

If he can set up both a nasty plot and an agility(which will be harder than trying to just straight attack by a land slide) you could have a real big problem on your hands.

We're not going to go over all the shoulda, coulda and woulda's. By the time you've tried to set up a nasty plot AND an agility, your Pikachu would most likely be dead or countered by most teams. Pikachu is not viable in the current meta, as there are many alternatives to choose from... using a double set up sweeper Pikachu is just going the extra mile for something that will most likely never, ever happen.

We're not going to go over all the shoulda, coulda and woulda's. By the time you've tried to set up a nasty plot AND an agility, your Pikachu would most likely be dead or countered by most teams. Pikachu is not viable in the current meta, as there are many alternatives to choose from... using a double set up sweeper Pikachu is just going the extra mile for something that will most likely never, ever happen.
Double Dance doesn't mean trying to get both boosts, it is meant to use that set-up move that you think is useful for that situation.

However double dance seems neat on paper, but I don't think it can work. There's enough priority that even Raichu has trouble setting up, and do note that Raichu fares far better in NU than Pikachu will ever be.

Alas, Pikachu just won't do. Light Ball is an interesting item to have, but since only Pikachu can use it, it's fairly useless in the end: Pikachu is frail, has a 'meh' speed and lacks good breaking-power.

Double Dance doesn't mean trying to get both boosts, it is meant to use that set-up move that you think is useful for that situation.

However double dance seems neat on paper, but I don't think it can work. There's enough priority that even Raichu has trouble setting up, and do note that Raichu fares far better in NU than Pikachu will ever be.

Alas, Pikachu just won't do. Light Ball is an interesting item to have, but since only Pikachu can use it, it's fairly useless in the end: Pikachu is frail, has a 'meh' speed and lacks good breaking-power.

But the situation DragonBorn described makes use of both set ups, Double Dance can work, but it's the situation in which both boosts are necessary that it will cause problems. Alas, this will never be a situation, unless you play against a player who's either bad or not suspecting it.

I agree with the rest of your post, as I tried to say myself;
Raichu will always be way better than Pikachu in NU, although it's a good mon for a cute team. :3

But the situation DragonBorn described makes use of both set ups, Double Dance can work, but it's the situation in which both boosts are necessary that it will cause problems. Alas, this will never be a situation, unless you play against a player who's either bad or not suspecting it.

I agree with the rest of your post, as I tried to say myself;
Raichu will always be way better than Pikachu in NU, although it's a good mon for a cute team. :3
well he did mean 'if', from what I can tell. No matter though, Raichu's acceptable enough in NU, there's no need for Pikachu here.

Governess

A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Speaking of Raichu.. Quick Late Valentine's Day Pun (should've done it yesterday, but that's ok) -I should've Raichu A Love Song! Get it? Raichu- write you.. ;-; Yea.

But, with Raichu, the power loss is noticeable, as Pikachu @ Light Ball is very strong offensively, mind you. But Raichu can have more freedom with Choice Items, or Life Orb, etc. It really just depends on what you want your electric type to accomplish.

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
While I can see the niche of Pikachu with espeed and its incredible offense, it's still too frail for my taste. Any ground, rock or steel type can deal with it, even with Brick Break. A well used Lighningrod gets it very powerful attacks, but that's it. I'd trade a little offense for survivability and freedom on items. I'd rather use Raichu, but I think Eelektross shadows it too.

Governess

A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ah, Eelektross. That guy is a great wall. I used it in OU, and it walked quite well surprisingly. But staying on track with Pikachu, yes, it's frailness makes it easily KO'd. It's Lightningrod ability does help with good timing, to get astounding offenses, however.

actually Raichus choice specs set isnt that much stronger so i think id rather have be able to hit almost as hard AND have the ability to change my moves instead of Raichu being choice locked into a move thats just a little bit more powerful. Really the only way Raichu is better is that it can survive hits better and Choice Scarf

Specs Raichu vs Light Ball Pikachu
252+ SpA Light Ball Pikachu Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Lickilicky: 154-183 (36.32 - 43.16%)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Raichu Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Lickilicky: 163-193 (38.44 - 45.51%)

see its only 9-10 points weaker, even though that can make a deference in some cases, so offensivly Pikachu is a better opiton for Pure Power as it can still switch moves

I say that he is a viable NU sweeper. I've used a physically based Pikachu with Extremspeed with mixed success. Set up some hazards and it can run through unprepared teams.

I voted never, ever. There are better Electric-type options in NU that have better bulk, good speed and/or power.

Zebstrika- Good power and speed with two nice abilities in Sap Sipper and Lightingrod.

Electabuzz-Similar to Zeb, has good speed and power with a nice ability in Vital Spirit. Also has a decent Sp. Def stat if Evolite is equipped.

Eelektross- Although on the slow side, the electric eel has a nice defenses and some power. Another Electric type with a good ability.

Ampharos-Slow, but can either act as a good powerhouse or a nice special wall.

Also: Rotom-S and Electrode.

I can't see myself using Pikachu when there are better options overall.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)