Simple Questions & Simple Answers & General Resources (OU Edition) MK II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can some explain what the Dark Horse Project is? and when does it start up again?
I'm not sure when it starts up again, but the point of the project is for participants to create teams focusing on a Pokemon that has a usage percentage of 5% or lower. It's produced some very successful teams, and you can read much more about it here.

Okay I am curious.
This doesn't really completely pertain to the OU game specifically "More like every teir, I just think this is the best place to ask" and I am probably brain storming a bit, but here goes.

I am growing more and more frustrated with competitive pokemon, especially with the prominence of fighting, steel and rock type pokemon. Who all resist dark, bug, normal and poison type pokemon. "Many of which tend to dwell in lower tiers" It feels overly centralized.
One thing I don't and probably never will understand is why put restrictions on sleep inducers? Originally when 5'th generation was released the reasoning was that there shouldn't be moves that force you to set your pokemon a certain way. The sleep inducers would simply force players to have to play a certain way and that that isn't fair.
I point at stealth rock. Now don't get me wrong guys I'm not trying to pick on the meta game. But it basically forces you to have a rapid spin user or suffer extreme consequences. I understand that this move helps deal with focus sash and sturdy and that's all well and good, but there's no denying that stealth rock DOMINATES this game.
I got to thinking, because I play NU quite a bit, that there simply isn't that many ways to deal with stealth rock users. There's hardly any rapid spinners left "Not that many to begin with" and only armaldo, torkoal and wartortle are even viable. I tend to lead with electrode, because he can drop a really fast taunt and then help me set up but I digress. That eventually those rocks will go down and I will have to spin them or suffer the consequences.
One way I thought of dealing with stealth rock "Just casually one time" was maybe I can punish them by putting them to sleep. Then I realized just how bad sleep inducing moves really are. Because of the prominence of T-Wave and Toxic, lum berry and heal bell are pretty common place. I found it really restricted the usefulness of sleep inducing moves. Sleep only lasts for a randomly chosen duration of 1 to 3 turns, often I found that actually using my sleep inducer to set up was extremely difficult against players who are experienced.
The reason I mentioned dark, bug, normal and poison type pokemon earlier, is because these pokemon tend to be the sleep inducers "Obviously psychic pokemon can do it too, but they've always kicked ass." Pokemon like butterfree would actually get a chance to shine should the sleep clause be absconded with. Which could be neat considering that sleep inducing is obviously what game freak set it up to do. I think that returning the ability to effectively induce sleep would give a lot of these pokemon a fighting chance against the overly popular pokemon who simply dominate them.
And like I said, the only reason I was given was that it would force players to use certain sets and pokemon "Which is unfair they say.". To which I can only respond "Like stealth rocks?"
They say that sleep "Takes one pokemon out of the game" I think that's an extreme overestimation. Stealth rock is a move that essentially renders many pokemon unusable. And before you disagree please realize that the BST 580 Legendary Articuno is NU and one of the reasons given is "but it's utterly crippled by Stealth Rock".

I could be completely full of shit and have no idea what I am talking about here, but this is where the actual question comes in.
If people are forced to find a way around stealth rock why can't we find a way around sleep inducing "Besides crippling it". Just like with rapid spinners and stealth rock users, lum berry and heal bell is already common place. You can just as easily taunt a sleep inducer as a stealth rock user. And many sleep inducers are weak to scarf users "Mega common" and stealth rock "Also mega common and renders focus sash useless, also makes them easier to be killed by scarf users" I mean come on.
I was thinking about gathering about 16 or so players just for fun. Then they all build teams for various tiers "To give a better spectrum of sleep inducers". The difference is there is no sleep clause and everyone would be informed as much.
What do you think would happen?

I wonder what you guys think, you're the experts.

Here's a question that's been bothering me for a while.

Let's say I have a Zoroak (with Illusion). It changes into the last pokemon in my party. I've encountered people who say stuff like "sometimes I have Zoroak appear like my Breloom, other times like Keldeo."

If Zoroak changes into the last slot into your party, how do you control what it becomes? Can you change it mid-match? And what if the last pokemon in your party is dead? Does Zoroak become a dead weight?

I'm currently working on a bulky offensive rain team based around this Dragonite:

Dragonite (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 76 Atk / 252 SAtk / 180 Spd
Mild Nature
-Outrage
-Hurricane
-ExtremeSpeed
-Dragon Dance

At the moment, the rest of the team consists of Offensive Politoed with Leftovers, Standard Ferrothorn and Tentacruel, and Drizzle Volcarona. I'm thinking of making the sixth member Scarf Keldeo to handle things like Terrakion, Steel types that Volc might not be able to handle, and Dragon types that would give the above Dragonite trouble.

I have a couple questions:
1. I went with the Dragonite since in theory at least a mixed sweeper would be harder to wall than a purely physical or purely special sweeper, and it was the best thing I could think of. Is there a better mixed sweeper that would work with the rest of the team? Is there any point to using a mixed sweeper?
2. Is there a better Pokemon than Scarf Keldeo to handle the threats I'm trying to address (Terrakion, opposing Dragons, etc.)? Or failing that, are there any obvious threats to my team that I'm missing and need to shuffle around my current setup to handle?

So I'm planning on using a mixed Hydreigon set on this new team, lemme know how batshit insane you guys think it is (and gimme some EVs to shoot for, I have no idea how to do this stuff).

Hydreigon @ Salac Berry
Trait: Levitate
EVs: ????????
Lonely/Naughty/Rash/Mild/Hasty/Naive Nature
- Substitute
- Work Up
- Dragon Pulse
- Earthquake

Basically, a Sub-booster with Salac Berry. This would be so much better if got Nasty Plot or Calm Mind, but whatever.

So I'm planning on using a mixed Hydreigon set on this new team, lemme know how batshit insane you guys think it is (and gimme some EVs to shoot for, I have no idea how to do this stuff).

Hydreigon @ Salac Berry
- Substitute
- Work Up
- Dragon Pulse
- Earthquake

Basically, a Sub-booster with Salac Berry. This would be so much better if got Nasty Plot or Calm Mind, but whatever.
Lol this reminds me of running max attack, max special attack hydreigon in doubles with TR or Tail Wind.

Umm, 200 attack EVs grants you the OHKO on SDef Jirachi at +1.
You're can't really afford to go max speed, so 200/252/56 could work.. with a Mild nature. You just have to make sure you have your sub up against Scarf Kyurem/Cube/Haxorus.

Good luck with this set.

I hope somebody can help me with this:

What is the minimum base Special Attack (-nature, no SpA Evs) required to accomplish the following:

• 2HKO standard Ferrothorn with unSTABed Hidden Power Fire (no weather, no hazards)
  • 2HKO defensive Latias with unSTABed Hidden Power Ice after one round of Stealth Rock
Thanks in advance. Help will be greatly appreciated.

To 2HKO standard Ferrothorn without LO you need at least 285 SAtk. With a negative nature that would require at least base 141: Chandelure, Kyogre outside of rain, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Reshiram, Kyurem-W, Mewtwo, Deoxys and Deoxys-A. HP Fire is a waste on Kyogre and everything but Deoxys has stronger Fire moves.
Edit: Forgot Darmanitan-Z, but Tobes said it shouldn't be mendioned. Will I get infracted for that?

To 2HKO physically defensive Latias with HP Ice after SR you need at least 494 SAtk. Due the restrictions of the game to 16 bit the maximum hackable base stat would be 255, equal to 491 SAtk. In theory, you need base 257 to reach such a level. But as said, the maximum possible base stat is 255 due limitations.

Simple, isn't it?

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor

Hydreigon @ Salac Berry
- Substitute
- Work Up
- Dragon Pulse
- Earthquake

Looks like it could be a good set but ultimately it looks really outclassed by Garchomp, except for its typing. I would try an all-out special attacker with Dragon Pulse and Focus Blast and run Timid, and run 303 to outpace Modest Landorus and below. Put max SpA and the rest into HP for additional bulk. FB is so needed to handle threats like Ferrothorn or Bronzong, and its a shame it can't abuse Dual STAB either. GL with testing! :)

To 2HKO standard Ferrothorn without LO you need at least 285 SAtk. With a negative nature that would require at least base 141: Chandelure, Kyogre outside of rain, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Reshiram, Kyurem-W, Mewtwo, Deoxys and Deoxys-A. HP Fire is a waste on Kyogre and everything but Deoxys has stronger Fire moves.
Edit: Forgot Darmanitan-Z, but Tobes said it shouldn't be mendioned. Will I get infracted for that?

To 2HKO physically defensive Latias with HP Ice after SR you need at least 494 SAtk. Due the restrictions of the game to 16 bit the maximum hackable base stat would be 255, equal to 491 SAtk. In theory, you need base 257 to reach such a level. But as said, the maximum possible base stat is 255 due limitations.

Simple, isn't it?
Thanks. I never thought it would require that much base SpA to manage those 2HKOs. btw, how did you calculate those? In case I wanted instead to know how much minimum base Attack is required to OHKO standard Ferrothorn with a +2, 255 Atk EV, STAB Earthquake without hazards, how do I calculate that? Is there an online calculator somewhere which could help? I don't want to always ask here in case I need to know something like this.

To 2HKO Ferrothorn with STAB +2 EQ you need at least 306 Atk. You need at least a base 90 attacker with positive nature or a base 104 with neutral nature.

Since you are talking about +2, you probably consider Swords Dance. Your choices are Rhydon, Rhyperior, Torterra, Garchomp, Excadrill, Landorus and Landorus-T. Gliscor only with Adamant nature.

For a damage calculator, look at the main page. We have used this one to help you.

Looks like it could be a good set but ultimately it looks really outclassed by Garchomp, except for its typing. I would try an all-out special attacker with Dragon Pulse and Focus Blast and run Timid, and run 303 to outpace Modest Landorus and below. Put max SpA and the rest into HP for additional bulk. FB is so needed to handle threats like Ferrothorn or Bronzong, and its a shame it can't abuse Dual STAB either. GL with testing! :)
Hydreigon: Cursed with base 98 Speed and a Dark sub-typing. Man, if there were ever a time when we should have gotten Dragon/Fighting... I would run SubSDSalacchomp on this team (that thing has been the MVP of so many games already) but my team is already overflowing with physical attackers.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Here's a question that's been bothering me for a while.

Let's say I have a Zoroak (with Illusion). It changes into the last pokemon in my party. I've encountered people who say stuff like "sometimes I have Zoroak appear like my Breloom, other times like Keldeo."

If Zoroak changes into the last slot into your party, how do you control what it becomes? Can you change it mid-match? And what if the last pokemon in your party is dead? Does Zoroak become a dead weight?
On switching in, Zoroark immediately copies the appearance of the last Pokemon in your party, no matter which point in the match it is. So if you lead with Zoroark with Terrakion in the last slot, Zoroark will look like Terrakion. If Starmie is switched out for Terrakion, Starmie takes the last slot, and Zoroark will appear to be Starmie when it gets sent out next. If Zoroark is in the last slot, the ability fails and Zoroark is sent out looking like itself.

LilOu

PO poopyhead
Other than Magnezone what is the best partner for Mono attacking latias?
Is Sand help or hurtful to this latias set?
In my opinion, some pokemons that can cause a lot of trouble to Latias are Tyranitar, Scizor, Jirachi, Ferrothorn and Chansey. If you think a little about this, Garchomp seems to be a nice offensive partner. Gyarados too, but he can't deal with Ferrothorn, Terrakion is also a good option, but you have to take care of bullet punches.

I'm trying to EV train Latios in XD: Gale of Darkness. It's nature is Quiet (+ Sp.Atk, -Speed), and his Hidden Power is "Fighting." What would be a recommended EV training set? I have no intention of using it on WiFi, I just would want my Latios' stats to be higher. :x

Other than Magnezone what is the best partner for Mono attacking latias?
Is Sand help or hurtful to this latias set?
Dugtrio is a very good option. It traps and kills jirachi, t-tar, roar heatran, and the blobs. I'd use sub on the set and 201 hp which allows you to beat blissey with toxic more easily.

LilOu

PO poopyhead
I'm trying to EV train Latios in XD: Gale of Darkness. It's nature is Quiet (+ Sp.Atk, -Speed), and his Hidden Power is "Fighting." What would be a recommended EV training set? I have no intention of using it on WiFi, I just would want my Latios' stats to be higher. :x
Quiet nature is horrible on a Latios :S but considering that you eill not use it on WiFi, i'll suggest 252 Satk / 252 Speed / 4 Hp. Just as simple as that.

post what you have so far here

actually speaking of which, I'm trying to find a good defensive core to go with this offensive one, any ideas?

Lucario @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- ExtremeSpeed
- Crunch(Thinking of changing to Ice Punch, way more Gliscor than Jellicient around it seems)

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Recover

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Ice]

hey, guys, I have been out of it for a long while, but i was on showdown just now, and I battled a dude running poison heal/ roost gliscor. Is that even legal, man?

Granted, im just dabbling for the first time since the beginning of bw1, but i wasn't aware they made roost a tutor move.

hey, guys, I have been out of it for a long while, but i was on showdown just now, and I battled a dude running poison heal/ roost gliscor. Is that even legal, man?

Granted, im just dabbling for the first time since the beginning of bw1, but i wasn't aware they made roost a tutor move.
Yes, that's legal now because Roost is a tutor move.

LilOu

PO poopyhead
How can I change my display name on Smogon's forums? Something told me that you need to be a badgeholder, so I read the new things you can do once you earn a badge...but nothing about names.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
You can change your name only once under details; badge holders just get this title thing under the name. Go to CP / Settings and details to change your name :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)