Mafia From the Depths - GAME OVER, INSANE WIN

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
More Cowbell (15 Posts)

Post 1: "I'm village don't vote me srsly guize"

Post 2: Rides the Walrein wagon and DLE sentrywagon with no explanation

Post 3: Claims that his vote on me was half-randvote and half "wanting to be sentried means he's mafia", despite me saying that I'm not trying to get people to sentry me. Asks Spiffy for his top 3 scumreads

Post 4: Claims his vote on me is temporary and "nothing to get wound up about"

Post 5: Votes no lynch. Says me and a few others "jumped the gun" at the beginning, and that he wants to "stay neutral" for now. Admits to having trouble getting reads due to inexperience.

Post 6: Says that his NL vote is a placeholder and that he knows it's a bad course of action

Post 7: Gives a reason for inactivity. Votes zorbees for switching vote targets a lot and being "all over the place"

Post 8: Gives some reads. Town on Spiffy ("appears to be contributing"), null on TPM and Cypher due to lack of posts, town on lightwolf (despite being "suspicious at the start"), null on SS due to voting NL but then switching, and says he would expect aska to contribute more. Says he's still really confused.

Post 9: Says he is confused by Metal Sonic, specifically his annoying tendency to multipost. Asks for Metal Sonic's preferred vote.

Post 10: Says he favors a MS lynch over a SL lynch, but says that both have posted suspiciously (though SL "hides it better")

Post 11: Says that SL feels more under-the-radar than Metal Sonic, making the latter an easier target

Post 12: Says he'll eventually change off of zorbees. Asks Metal Sonic for his opinion on SL.

Post 13: Claims newness again, asks SL what he wants out of him.

Post 14: Says he was disappointed by SL's post, specifically his failure to ask anything of Cowbell

Post 15: Says he's bailing since SL has vanished, invites others to still ask him questions.

More Cowbell seems to be legitimately attempting to help, but I get the feeling he doesn't quite know what to do. He doesn't post much without being prompted, but I feel like this is more out of newness than anything else. He IS attempting to promote discussion, unlike some other players.

Conclusion: He's probably a newbie town that isn't quite sure what he's doing, but wants to help nonetheless.

I just realized my vote is still on zorbees, while by now, I feel Shining Latios to be more suspicious, to be honest. While on Lynch -1, he decided to throw my name in there to lure away some attention, and then a lot of people vote infinity.cypher. That's ok, of course, but I still feel Shining Latios is more suspicious, given the fact that he backed down from supporting his lynch vote, and instead decided to respond with some trivial sheriff talk that adds nothing to anything. So,

Unvote
Lynch Shining Latios

I really dislike the mindset of "let's lynch players who are likely to hurt the village later on" mainly because it appears to be an attractive option when it is anything but. the fact of the matter is that we shouldn't lynch bad players, we should lynch players who are likely to be mafia (i suppose this is mainly directed at a lw post a bit back). we shouldn't be biased towards lynching a player based on "who is likely to be helpful in the latter stages of the game." that's not a strategy for success. that being said, it's still probably better to sentry the "better" players, for lack of a better term, seeing that the mafia kills will be namekills for the entirety of the first couple of nights.

Still hate post by post analysis a la walrein on more cowbell. i can see the point of them ("analyze so-and-so's action to this point in the game"); the issue i have with them is that they inevitably don't have any analysis in them. look at walrein (sorry for picking on ya bud!), his post is basically a summary of somebody's posts (which isn't helpful unless you happen to be lazy). there's maybe one or two lines of analysis, but it's mostly bare of any thought from walrein on mc. if you think someone is posting a certain way because they are new, then just say that. making tl;dr that don't say stuff is scummy imo because it goes back to the "contributing when you actually aren't."

yeah i'm just chilling and going to be rereading this thread welp

Ampharos

Infinity.Cypher (7 Posts)

Post 1: GLHF

Post 2: Gives reads. Sketchy on me for "trying to steal the sentry from DLE", null on Cowbell due to newness, town on aska for wanting DLE sentried, calls Jalmont a troll and votes him to get him to contribute, town on Empoof because Cypher agrees with everything he says, sketchy on Metal Sonic for random sentry.

Post 3: Unvotes Jalmont because he posted.

Post 4: Votes Metal Sonic based on SL's reasoning. Asks about the possibility of mafia using their sentry bypass to kill DLE. Asks who is going to die that night.

Post 5: Unvotes Metal Sonic after he points out that bandwagoning on SL's logic isn't a fantastic choice. Says he may hop on the SL wagon.

Post 6: Admit's he's mainly just bandwagoning on the opinions of others. Votes SL due to generally shitty posting. Claims SL tricked him into voting for Metal Sonic. Voices suspicion of Spiffy and aska for saying SL is a confused townie. Says Jalmont still seems shifty. Reads too much into a Jalmont troll.

Post 7: Frownie faces the votes against him. Asks what people require of him. Votes Jalmont because of inactivity.

Cypher has literally done nothing all game but bandwagon on the opinions of others, even going so far as to accuse SL for tricking him into a vote when all he did was hop on the bandwagon that SL was attempting to start. When a bandwagon dies out, he goes straight to the next one, most recently jumping from SL to Jalmont with barely any explanation of why he thinks Jalmont is scum, or why he trusts SL more now. He is attempting to use his inexperience as a shield even moreso than More Cowbell, claiming it makes him "easy to influence".

Conclusion: Unvote, Vote Infinity.Cypher. Now that I've actually taken a look at Cypher's posts more thoroughly, I really like this lynch. I still think SL is probably scum, but I'm starting to feel much more ceratin about Cypher's insanity.

Ampharos

@zorbees: the post-by-post analysis thing is almost for myself than it is for anyone else's benefit. It allows me to make sure that I don't miss anything and really take an indepth look at every single post a person makes, rather than just kinda half-skimming through the thread (a fault I am sometimes guilty of).

I like the in-depth posts. This thread is already 12 pages, its hard for me to remember the content of every single post a player has made. The recap helps me remember why I feel a certain way about a player.

some random thoughts

Okay well I guess I'll post my thoughts:

Both Walrein and Empoof seem village to me, Walrein wouldn't be so stupid to post something like that if he was Mafia, and Empoof has been heavily involved in the current affairs.

Shady people:

Metal Sonic: Makes rash posts and hasn't really contributed to anything.
More Cowbell: Really needs to post more and actually vote someone.
Jalmont: Has been extremely quiet, and hasn't contributed anything whatsoever.
Infinity.Cypher: Hasn't even posted any votes (unless I'm mistaken)

Additionally, I think TPM shouldn't be accused of mafia yet, using the argument of "well, he said that he didn't want to be suspicous" isn't really evidence, it's a pretty weak argument imo.

So er.. unlynch Shining Latios

Vote Infinity.Cypher

let's see the response, and hopefully the votes.

Also, this has pretty much been established already, but no lynch is a terrible idea. I think we need to vote and get lucky; it is much better than waiting for the mafia to kill one of our people. We also gain more information from the results; we can see who died, who voted for who in more clarity. SO YEAH
this was a very interesting post that no one responded to, and i found it quite telling. it reads to me like something a mafia would post; no real content or opinions; the opinions that are actually offered are strange and don't make a lot of sense. the fact that no one called it out was interesting as well; spiffy has been hounding me for not posting content, yet i'm not sure how he could have missed this post.

to clarify i'm going with spiffy + eagle4 + cypher? + ??? for the maf atm

i almost wish people would stop reminding the scum not to hammer, if they hammered that would make our lives a ton easier!

i am of the belief that it is in the mafia's interests to not act and talk like idiots. what i mean is that they tend to avoid short posts and multiposting as those sorts of things are most likely to get attention from other players. it's much easier to focus on reading shorter quips about nothing over a doctoral thesis on why no lynching is a bad idea. that being said, i firmly believe that finding mafia involves searching for players who make longish posts, (looking long at least) that don't really say much (ie lots of summary, no personal opinions). i think the above is a really good example of looking like its saying a lot when it really isn't. i'd love to hear others opinion on this as i could just be completely off the mark here lol!

while a recap may be nice and convenient, it also makes it real easy for a scum to squeeze on through, by simply doing stuff like that. the post looks like it's saying a lot, when really, the only new information that is being offered consists of one or two sentences maybe. not trying to eliminate that format; rather it would be better if some solid analysis was provided for each post as well (ie "I think it was strange when x said y in this post")

ugh, I'm half-asleep, and I'm a pretty shitty NOC player by the looks of it... I'm town town town town town town and I just play terrible. There's ~1.5 hours left, I'm tired and I don't want to deal with this. Yes I have given up

If my death is going to help the village in some way, do it, I don't care anymore. If I somehow live, then idk. In the end, a SANE is going to die. In the end, the information you're going to get from me dying is a shit NOC poster has died, how wonderful

Also, I still say that Jalmont is suspicious. Why? He just started posting now, instead of how he could have before and generated and contributed some discussion. Start talking now with the Cypher bandwagon (though hiding it) to defend yourself from future accusation

inb4 cypher is town and this post makes me look like an idiot

some random thoughts

this was a very interesting post that no one responded to, and i found it quite telling. it reads to me like something a mafia would post; no real content or opinions; the opinions that are actually offered are strange and don't make a lot of sense. the fact that no one called it out was interesting as well; spiffy has been hounding me for not posting content, yet i'm not sure how he could have missed this post.

to clarify i'm going with spiffy + eagle4 + cypher? + ??? for the maf atm

i almost wish people would stop reminding the scum not to hammer, if they hammered that would make our lives a ton easier!

i am of the belief that it is in the mafia's interests to not act and talk like idiots. what i mean is that they tend to avoid short posts and multiposting as those sorts of things are most likely to get attention from other players. it's much easier to focus on reading shorter quips about nothing over a doctoral thesis on why no lynching is a bad idea. that being said, i firmly believe that finding mafia involves searching for players who make longish posts, (looking long at least) that don't really say much (ie lots of summary, no personal opinions). i think the above is a really good example of looking like its saying a lot when it really isn't. i'd love to hear others opinion on this as i could just be completely off the mark here lol!
Okay, okay, how was that post lots of summary, no personal opinions? That post was mainly all personal opinions; I said who I thought were definitely the good people, who I thought were the bad, or at least sketchy people, my views on no lynching. Also, I think the opinions make perfect sense. Do you want me to explain in more detail?

Actually, fuck it, giving a pseudo-grace period like this is kind of dumb. HAMMER, STOP POSTING.

~*~

Votecount 1.11 - Nighty Night

Lynch:
Infinity.Cypher: (8) zorbees Eagle4 Da Letter El zorbees Spiffy Empoof askaninjask shinyskarmory TPM Walrein LYNCH
Shining Latios: (4) Empoof Eagle4 zorbees Walrein LightWolf shinyskarmory Metal Sonic Eagle4 Infinity.Cypher More Cowbell
Jalmont: (1) Infinity.Cypher askaninjask Spiffy Infinity.Cypher
More Cowbell: (1) Shining Latios
askaninjask: (1) Jalmont
zorbees: (0) shinyskarmory More Cowbell
shinyskarmory: (0) LightWolf zorbees Spiffy Shining Latios TPM
Spiffy: (0) Walrein Empoof
Metal Sonic: (0) zorbees Da Letter El Empoof TPM Shining Latios Infinity.Cypher Eagle4
TPM: (0) zorbees
No Lynch: (0) shinyskarmory More Cowbell
Walrein: (0) Da Letter El askaninjask Shining Latios Metal Sonic More Cowbell
LightWolf: (0) zorbees Spiffy Empoof
TPM: (0) Spiffy
Empoof: (0) zorbees
Eagle4: (0) zorbees
Not Voting: (0) None!

~*~

As far as you could tell, the sun had set. It was time to get rid of your first suspect.

"... town town town town town! Really!"

He put up a decent defense, but no one would fall for that.

Infinity.Cypher was Sane.

Nevermind. Whoops.

~*~

Deadline for the scum kill is in 24 hours unless they give me an early reply, in which case an update is likely in 13 hours.

Lightning had struck. You're not sure what the odds are of a bolt of electricity striking all the way down here, but at the same time, you don't happen to care that much. There is mourning to be done.

Da Letter El was Sane.

Things just got wild.

~*~

Votecount 2.1 - A Storm's Brewing

Lynch:
Not Voting: (13) Walrein, Shining Latios, Eagle4, LightWolf, Spiffy, More Cowbell, askaninjask, zorbees, TPM, Jalmont, shinyskarmory, Empoof, Metal Sonic.

Sentry:
Not Voting: (13) Walrein, Shining Latios, Eagle4, LightWolf, Spiffy, More Cowbell, askaninjask, zorbees, TPM, Jalmont, shinyskarmory, Empoof, Metal Sonic.

With 13 alives it takes 7 to lynch. Deadline is in 120 hours, 10:00 PM GMT (midnight GMT+2).

Okay well I guess I'll post my thoughts:
Both Walrein and Empoof seem village to me, Walrein wouldn't be so stupid to post something like that if he was Mafia, and Empoof has been heavily involved in the current affairs.

Shady people:

Metal Sonic: Makes rash posts and hasn't really contributed to anything.
More Cowbell: Really needs to post more and actually vote someone.
Jalmont: Has been extremely quiet, and hasn't contributed anything whatsoever.
Infinity.Cypher: Hasn't even posted any votes (unless I'm mistaken)

Additionally, I think TPM shouldn't be accused of mafia yet, using the argument of "well, he said that he didn't want to be suspicous" isn't really evidence, it's a pretty weak argument imo.

So er.. unlynch Shining Latios

Vote Infinity.Cypher

let's see the response, and hopefully the votes.

Also, this has pretty much been established already, but no lynch is a terrible idea. I think we need to vote and get lucky; it is much better than waiting for the mafia to kill one of our people. We also gain more information from the results; we can see who died, who voted for who in more clarity. SO YEAH
So going back to this post I want to point out a couple things.

1. It's vague. There's just a lot of vagueness in this post. "heavily involved in current affairs" and "post that" don't really say anything about anyone.

3. Lacks analysis. For the list of supposed "shady" people, it does that pretty well. It's just a list that uses (imo) the weakest arguments for someone being mafia; someone who posts little or not at all. I think it's pretty interesting that he was echoing Spiffy's viewpoint of me not contributing. Maybe it's just me, but I thought that was pretty out of the blue (although I could've missed a post asking him to talk about me so yea)

2. Reiterating stuff already said. The last part is something was a discussion on no lynching that had already been discussed and beaten to death. Why else reestablish a well known fact? Well, it's because as a mafia you want to be seen as "contributing" and talking about unimportant stuff like that is the best way to be seen as "contributing" while avoiding offering any real opinions.

this post really comes off as a mafia who is unsure how to play the situation; at first glance you might think it's someone who is trying to help until you realize it isn't very helpful at all.

on the other hand spiffy is playing like an experienced mafia but that's something for another post!

I think it's very interesting the people eagle doesn't mention; I would hazard a guess to say if he flips mafia then the people mentioned in this post are likely to be villagers.

Lynch Eagle4
Sentry Jalmont

i am unsure how articulate i am being on this position so please feel free to question my points if you want!

Holy fuck they already decided to penetrate Sentry?

Okay, so right now at the beginning of day two, my top mafia reads are Shining Latios, Metal Sonic, and Eagle4-however, it is extremely unlikely that all three of them are mafia because that would be a recipe for disaster in a NORMAL game, let alone an NOC.

So for now:

Use STAB Blizzard on Shining Latios
Sentry shinyskarmory

shinyskarmory why are your top mafia reads those three players? stating that without giving an explanation isn't very helpful to anyone at all, except for the mafia of course!

A tiny request -- mention who your vote was on when you unvote ("unvote: user"). It really helps while making VCs.

Also remember to notify me in advance if you think you won't be able to post for 24 hours. I obviously won't make any exceptions if I see you've been online and not posting but if not then, uh, yeah.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)