OU Stats — January 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Psyshock is still superior. Other wise your special attacker gets walled by Blissey.
No, Psychic is superior. Psychic deals more damage to neutrally defensive targets and means that Pokemon like Gliscor can't stall you out of Trick Room.

No matter what you choose, there will always be something Reuniclus can't get past, but he's walled by more things by using Psyshock than by using Psychic.

I'd say in most cases that trainers do try to win by using Pokemon that are not often seen all the time. I remember getting defeated by someone with an outstanding Golurk and that was some true skill.

As Karen used to say, "Strong Pokemon. Weak Pokemon. That's just the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with the Pokemon they love best."

Deluks917

Ride on Shooting Star
^anime seems very inconsistent on that. Didn't the guy with the Darkrai/Latios win a major League losing one pokemon the entire League? Just sayin.

On topic: I have seen alot of sand (semi) stall near the top of suspect. I would imagine hippowdon usage has gone up somewhat.

I don't really understand how hippowdon could have been number 51. Hippo teams seem to do well against rain and sun.

Blissey is really uncommon. I would use psychic over psyshock on TR reuniculus. 1/8th more power is huge. That is the difference between (252 spa evs) Latios' and Latias' Special attack.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
No, Psychic is superior. Psychic deals more damage to neutrally defensive targets and means that Pokemon like Gliscor can't stall you out of Trick Room.

No matter what you choose, there will always be something Reuniclus can't get past, but he's walled by more things by using Psyshock than by using Psychic.
absolutly seconding this other than blissey there is no reason to use Psyshock and Psychic is kinda superior against everything else since you will hit most special walls with you coverage attacks anyway.

Both Psychic and Psyshock can be chosen for a Psychic type Pokemon depending on the trainer's needs. Psyshock is for dealing with specially defensive walls like Blissey but does less damage on physically defensive Pokemon while Psychic does more damage to defensive Pokemon and less on specially defensive Pokemon. It depends on the trainer's choice, really.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
okay this psychic/psyshock thing really needs to be cleared up so here it goes:

psychic is far superior to psyshock if you're using the trick room set. literally the only reason you'd want to use psyshock over psychic is for chansey and blissey, but both of those take under 50% from psyshock anyways due to its inferior power compared to psychic, so the pink blobs can just softboiled off the damage and then start laying into you with seismic toss once trick room goes away. tr reun was never meant to handle bliss or any big special wall anyways, it's purely to dump on offensive teams late-game. psychic is always the better choice for the tr set, because if you're using it, you can be walled by physically defensive stuff like gliscor and landorus-t, who you would otherwise ohko after rocks. huge power discrepancy there. as for the calm mind set, i'd still advocate psychic over psyshock, as once again, the only reason to go with psyshock is for the pink blobs, and stall is so ridiculously rare now that those really aren't of any concern. i guess winning cm wars with stuff like latias is also a factor, but reuniclus usually wins those anyways plus they're extremely uncommon in this metagame, so being able to beat much more common stuff, plus having the extra 10 point power boost, is far more valuable than the ability to hit special walls on the physical side.

that's my take on it, makes sense to me.

I agree, but Latias has been rising in usage very quickly in the past couple months, especially with the bans so far, which have worked well in her favor. Thus, SubCM Latias' are flying all over OU, but Reuniclus can usually deal with them. What I have yet to see is another CM Reuniclus, as I haven't seen many of those since 1st BW. Though as a whole, Reuniclus has dropped incredibly, virtually switching places with Alakazam in the earlier BW days.

THIS. 100 times this.

It will stall you to hell and back.
I actually used to use a Dual Screens set before B&W2 and it was very effective. Now that it has Roost, it can run a Mono Dragon-type attack with the other 3 previously mentioned moves.

| 84 | Kyurem | 1.16590% | 9499 | 0.999% | 6735 | 0.879% |
I don't understand why this thing is so low. It may be somewhat outclassed by kyurem-b, but still is viable. Things like machamp and ninjask are used more than kyurem. Can somebody explain this to me?
| 50 | Hippowdon | 4.27449% | 35238 | 3.707% | 31854 | 4.158% |
Hippowdon needs more usage. It is a pretty good weather inducer and a great physical wall.

It's outclassed in every way except for pressure-stalling by Kyu-B. There's literally no reason to use it. Combine that with the massive, massive amount of other dragons in OU that also outclass it, I'm not surprised Kyu is not getting use.

It's outclassed in every way except for pressure-stalling by Kyu-B. There's literally no reason to use it. Combine that with the massive, massive amount of other dragons in OU that also outclass it, I'm not surprised Kyu is not getting use.
Well kyurem has higher SpA for one. And the other thing is that kyurem performs a super different role from any other dragon in OU (or in the game for that matter), and does it better than kyurem-b. Because i mean, yes it doesn't have a ton > kyu-b even when talking about subroost stalling except for pressure and higher SpA...but kyub doesn't have anything above it in regards to subroost, so it's the best at that job. So kyurem does have a niche (a small one, admitted), and people are undersetimating that niche.

Totally agreed that psychic is the way to go with TR, but I'd actually lean slightly in favor of psyshock for CM since ideally you should be able to get to +6, at which point nothing can wall you anyway except for the blobs and other CMers, both of which psyshock defeats. Psychic is again more initially powerful true, but in this case you don't have the investment to take advantage of that imo.

I tried the subroost set and it did pretty well. I only lost this one battle because the foe had a cryonogal. I successfully pp-stalled the foe and kyurem's massive 130 special attack allowed me to heavily dent the opponent.

10 points of SAtk isn't a huge difference, and you're giving up Mold Breaker for that. That gets rid of Sturdy, Multiscale, and lets your coverage move hit Heatran/Bronzong. Mold Breaker is far more useful for basically any set.

10 points of SAtk isn't a huge difference, and you're giving up Mold Breaker for that. That gets rid of Sturdy, Multiscale, and lets your coverage move hit Heatran/Bronzong. Mold Breaker is far more useful for basically any set.
Yes...with the exception of subroost, which is kyruem's only niche anyway. There, pressure is way better since it actually allows you to crush the pink blobs p easily, whereas you won't be OHKOing anything with sturdy/multiscale anyway (and you KO dnite through multiscale iirc). Kyurem doesn't have a ton of advantages > -b, but it IS better at subroost stalling, which is all you should really be using it for anyway.

ElectivireRocks

Banned deucer.
Most of the attacks used to deal with Kyurem have 8 PP - Focus Blast, Draco Meteor, Stone Edge and Close Combat come to mind.
Couple that with 130 Sp.Atk and great coverage in 2 attacks and you have one hell of a SubRoost abuser in your hands.
No other dragon can pull that off.

Kyu-B might be overall better, but a lot of teams (especially rain teams) are completely screwed by normal Kyurem's Pressure stalling.

Most of the attacks used to deal with Kyurem have 8 PP - Focus Blast, Draco Meteor, Stone Edge and Close Combat come to mind.
Couple that with 130 Sp.Atk and great coverage in 2 attacks and you have one hell of a SubRoost abuser in your hands.
No other dragon can pull that off.

Kyu-B might be overall better, but a lot of teams (especially rain teams) are completely screwed by normal Kyurem's Pressure stalling.
This is completely true, but take mind that common prority is nearly as frequent as the moves you listed above, which just fucks with Kyurem as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)