A Mushroom in The Sandstorm

RMT: A Mushroom in The Sandstorm

Hello there Smogon! Some months ago I came up with the idea of making a sandstorm semi-stall team. Curiously enough, my defensive team with only one revenge killer and one sweeper transformed into a real threat with 3 sweeper and a wallbreaker. First of all, I play on Mexico's server so we have slightly different rules. It also is a very small server (there are about to 50 players and their alternate test nicks) so in about two or three days your team is well known around the server. Now that the introduction is done I'll guide you through the team's evolution.

TEAM BUILDING

Hippowdon, The Summoner.

First of all, lets bring the sand. This wasn't the standard Hippowdon we all known. He was specially invested so he could take attacks from non-offensive-invested bulky waters. It also had a red card so he can setup SR, phaze the enemy and with some luck slack off in front of a support Pokemon. He is also my sand summoner to keep up the stall with passive damage and stopping the opposing team from getting bonuses.

Skarmory, The Wall

My spiker and physical wall, he can setup in front of every physical sweeper, roost the damage and phaze it. He keeps doing whirlwinds to force enemies out and make them take passive damage. It´s also a great check to Breloom after a teammate absorbs the Spore (normally Hippowdon as he only puts SR and then proceed to endure the battle).

Swampert, The Lifesaver

I needed someone to take fire attacks and absorb Volt Switch from Rotom-W in order to keep Skarmory alive. He can force switches and is a mixed tank, so he doesn't care to much about being burned or defensively based Rotoms. Takes care of Jirachi, Landorus, Tornadus and Thundurus (in case he is not running Grass Knot). It also takes care of Donphan and Tentacruel.

Tyranitar, The Tank

Tyranitar. He came to my mind as I REALLY needed to win the weather war in order to win a match. He is really strong and functions well as my special wall thanks to the ev investment and the sandstorm Sp. Def. boost. It is mixed with Flamethrower, Crunch, Pursuit and Stone Edge. He resisted Politoed´s attacks and retaliated harder, but he later transformed into TyranBOAH in order to break some walls for the team.

Scizor, The Avenger

After all the defensive team members I needed someone to go on offensive. CBScizor made it well as he could revenge kill using Bullet Punch and keep momentum with U-turn. He can be a late sweeper if the enemy team gets into Bullet Punch range. He also gets Superpower and Pursuit to OHKO Magnezone on the switch or to hit hard a fleeing Pokemon, in any case prediction is needed to keep Scizor alive. Many times he has pulled a victory even when loosing 6-1 thanks to the great job the team has worn out the enemy.

Alakazam, The Master Mind

And finally, the Master Mind behind everything. Alakazam is my late sweeper and last stander. He hits everything in the game at least neutral, and providing the team did well their work he can sweep all the enemy's team by himself due to the low or average HP they will have after fighting their way to Alakazam. With Focus Sash he can survive a priority move or endure a Scarf user and retaliate with a Super Effective move. As Scizor, he has pulled an impressive victory, even at 6-1.

First Change: Suicune, The Crystal Princess

It was all glory for the team, we peaked at 1380 but one day we met with a powerful enemy: Full Stall. With the excesive use of Toxic Spikes in the server (I told you it is a small server and very soon you get countered), Swampert's life span was drastically shortened so he couldn't tank and retaliate threats making HAXrachi my perfect counter. CroCune became the new member, even though she was weak to Rotom-W after one Calm Mind she could tank and setup while Rotom switched out, proceed to Rest and attack while ignoring the Toxic Spikes. With Cune I didn't had to win the weather war to stop the enemy (rain) so desperately and Tyranitar drastically morphed into the mighty forgotten legend of TyraniBOAH, the one destroyed the SkarmBliss combo and CeleTran combos, luring Scizor, Terrakion and Breloom proceeding to OHKO with Flamethrower or Focus Punch. Also Hippowdon went on physical so he could resist Terrakion in case BOAH lost his Sub.

Virizion and Heatran, A Legendary Duo

CroCune kept the team on the 1300's peaking at 1410. But then, after only three days, new menaces appeared: Choice Trickers, Offensive Rotoms, Water Absorbers, and Clear Smog Amonguss. So Virizion came to place, sponging Rotom´s Hydro Pumps, Doing a Calm Mind, and if I got lucky, someone could give me a Scarf or a Spec. This one rampaged through Rain Teams and Sandstorm teams. I also made Alakazam retire as Volcarona could enter the arena after the Spinner blows away the hazards and sweep through all the team. Heatran was made to absorb the Fire attacks launched at Virizion, counter Sun Teams and to make the role of a special sweeper. Even after modifying the team, it fell to the sadness of the 1100 and peaked at 1200. Also I had an enourmous Fighting weakness, so I dropped the team for a while.

Haxorus and Breloom, Final Transformation.

For some time I left the team and used another team with Gliscor, MixMence, CroCune, Rotom-W, TyraniBOAH and Scizor, it worked well, but struggled against 4drag2mags teams. Finally I saw the answer of what the old team needed when I lost 6-0 at a Haxorus, Breloom offensive combo. Even it was a CBHaxorus it hit hard enough to punch holes into the team, leaving Breloom the sweep. I didn´t lost against that 2 Pokémon, but to the all the effort of the complete team and that´s where I saw I was focusing to much on individuals rather than teamwork. Finally, Haxorus dragon danced into the team and Breloom came to shut down one enemy Pokémon, revenge kill, or setup and sweep.

AT A GLANCE

THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS

Erymanthos (M) @Leftovers |Sandstream Impish
252 HP, 4 Atk, 212 Def, 40 Sp. Def

-Stealth Rock
-Whirlwind
-Slack Off
-Earthquake

He is my Fake Lead, as team preview often makes my oponent to switch out Rotom-W, Spinner or Politoed in the first place. He threatens Ninetales while in the sandstorm due to the 50% reduction to Solarbeam, can attack with EQ or setup the SR. Also he can sponge CBTerrakion Close Combats and Slack Off the damage. He forces many switches by his mere presence so after seating up SR and spikes with Skarmory he can do a good work phazing and racking up some passive damage. It has good synergy with Heatran as he can scare and taunt spikers that try to lay the hazards on my ground.

Stymphala (F) @Leftovers |Sturdy Impish
228 HP, 252 Def, 28 Speed
-Roost
-Spikes
-Whirlwind
-Brave Bird

My beloved Skarmory. She really rocks as she lay of the hazards, sponge physical attacks, phazes the enemy and counters enemy Brelooms after someone absorbed the Spore. Brave Bird to give Sableye a nasty surprise when he tries to taunt me, and sometimes it can be a kamikaze, sacrificing itself (while keeping its sturdy) and fully attacking enemy Volcaronas. She takes the bullet for the team at times, but she prepares the way for them in order to win. She likes Gliscor (or any physical attacker) to setup her Spikes, Roost and Whirlwind, very hard to take down and really annoys the opponent. Good synergy with Haxorus, as he can Taunt enemy spikers and switch out to Skarmory, then proceed to lay a layer of Spikes or Whirlwind depending the situation. Heatran is also a good teammate as he absorbs Fire attacks aimed at Skarmory and return a powerful Flash Fire + STAB Fire Blast.

Persephone (F) @Lum Berry |Mold Breaker Jolly
252 Atk, 252 Speed, 4 Hp
-Dragon Dance
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-Taunt

This beautiful lady really gives a lot of trouble to enemy teams. She barely survives an HP Ice from Keldeo while Dragon Dancing and starts to wreak havoc in unprepared teams. Also, she bluffs like a Choice Band Haxorus making the opponent to bring his Jirachi, Landorus, Dragon (any dragon) early and get surprised by a powerful EQ, Dragon Dance on the switch or STAB + 1 Outrage. She has a Lum Berry for curing her confusion or to not get crippled by WoW Sableye. It can tank a Rotom-W Hydro Pump in the Rain or his Volt-Switch and proceed to kill with EQ thanks to Mold Breaker, she Laughes at Bronzong's attempts to wall her, but I need to be careful of Trick Room and Gyro Ball. The best way to do that is getting a +2.

Tartaros (M) @Leftovers |Sandstream Quiet
252 HP, 52 Atk, 176 Sp Atk28 Speed
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Fire Blast
-Dark Pulse

Oh! The Mighty TyraniBOAH! Doom of CeleTran and SkarmBliss. The Cunning Predator that can bring Terrakion, Coballion, Scizor, Jirachi, Skarmory, Blissey, Jellicent, Latios, Latias, Slowbro and any foolish enough that try to switch in into you! I was remembering the old times when i had this guy on my team and decided to get him back. His biggest pro is that nowadays nobody expects TyraniBOAH so if I send him to Blissey the enemy will switch to his Tyranitar counter only to see how a massive Focus Punch slains Terrakion, they proceed to send Skarmory who gets fried by an infernal Fire Blast, he didn´t gained the nickname Tartaros for free, he worked hard in breaking walls and killing spikers or counters my team has some trouble with. He has good synergy with... Well, everyone. Hippowdon sponges fighting attacks even from Terrakion and helps Tyranitar. Skarmory can take on Scizor and give him some spikes or simply phaze the new switch in racking up some damage. Breloom helps him to take down enemy such as Donphan by Sporing him early game, an enemy TyraniBOAH (some players are starting to use it again) or taking non-offensive water attacks, in exhange, Tyranitar can get rid off Celebi, Lati Twins, Chandelure and a lured Mamoswine. Haxorus can get in and finish the job he couldn´t acomplished and also get Heatran (after the substitute breaks) Jirachi and Volcarona. And Heatran can switch in a Choice Landorus doing Earthquakes and threaten him with a powerful HP Ice.

Lee (M) @Lum Berry |Technician Adamant
252 Atk, 252 Speed, 4 Hp
-Swords Dance
-Spore
-Bullet Seed
-Mach Punch

He is a harder, better, faster and stronger version of Scizor even though he doesn´t have the instant power Scizor had with CB he makes this up by shuting down one of the enemy all the match and the freedom to choose how to attack.. Depending on the match, he can neutralize a Spinner, Spiker, Wall or Sweeper. Making the teams job easier. Enemy spiker? Shut him down! Enemy spinner? Spore! Enemy wall? Go to sleep! He can then do some dancing and start sweeping the enemy with a combination of Bullet Seed and Mach Punch (assuming his counters are down). He has a great synergy with Heatran as Breloom can shut kill the pink blobs, tank a little water or revenge killing him. After a Swords Dance he does about 45% to Thundurus and Tornadus even when it is resisted. Same goes to Lati Twins (Latias can get about 37% so I have to watch out). HAXrachi (somewhat bulky) gets 50% so the entry hazards are a true blessing. He is also my counter to rain teams as he can OHKO almost anything on rain teams (Ok, 2HKO if you say Bullet Seed counts as two hits) and Sand Teams bar Grass Types, Lati Twins and Chandelure (all KOed by TyraniBOAH). He has good synergy with Heatran as he absorbs Fire attacks, Tyranitar to absorb Psyshocks, Skarmory to protect him from another Skarmory and Hippowdon and Haxorus as he gets rid of Amomasnow and Ice moves users.

Vulcano (M) @Air Ballon |Flash Fire Modest
252 Atk, 252 Speed, 4 Sp Def
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-HP Ice
-Taunt

My special sweeper. He is not timid because he really needs the power to hit through things and he outspeeds or really can't get damaged from the foes I´m trying to catch with him. Jirachi does pitful damage and Heatran can gave him the KO. HP ice for dragons, genies, and Gliscor and taunt to stop the Blobs tryng to Heal, so he can let TyraniBOAJ scare them off and getting some entry hazard damage the next time they come in. Taunt also stops defensive Gliscors on their tracks if they try to Stall the HP Ice when they already have a Sub, it also stops enemy Hippowdons lacking of any attacking move besides of EQ. He is also my primary Volcarona counter, as he absorbs the Fire, and Return a more powerful one (provided Volcarona hasn´t got HP Ground), taunting Volcarona also stops her from boosting, and after SR and spikes damage it wont survive a Flash Fire + STAB Fire Blast.

Some Questions

You relay heavily on hazards and you don´t have any ghost type?
This may sound strange indeed, but many members of my team can neutralize the spinner easily by sleeping him or OHKO-ing it. Then I´ll proceed to put them again.

No spinner, noob?
Again, my team doesn´t need to spin because of the threat my Pokemon give to spikers. In a normal game my opponent can only setup SR, which my team memebers doesn´t care too much.

Theres no competition on Pokemon Mexico.
Take into account that when even in PO there are much more players, the server is too big to get easily countered, While en POM there little players, they know each other very well so they prepare a counter if you get noticed with a good team. Beacuase of that ranking is a little harder as they know very well your team in little time (max rank is about 1450 for that reason).

Use the power of more Legendary Pokémon!
I really have fun using standard Pokemon. I´m NOT saying "Legendaries are for cheaters" but I really like common Pokémon.

Are you forgetting Sleep Clause?
No, I don´t. That's why team preview is useful, so I can analyze which Pokemon is crucial for my team to sleep.

TyraniBOAH is obsolete.
Well, he is not an OverUsed Pokemon. Take into account this tier is about usage level instead of power (even when they are related). It works for my team, even more than a MixMence or Hydreigon.

Still Evolving

Thanks for reading and rating my team. I would like to read your comments to make the team stronger. I have fun using common Pokemon, but feel free to suggest a legendary if you think it will make this better. Even when I don´t like the idea at first, you can be sure I will try guys (Thats how I got into TyraniBOAH again). Right below I´ll leave you the other Pokémon that couldn´t keep up the pace.

Virizion

Virizion @Leftovers |Justify Timid
252 Atk, 252 Speed, 4 Sp Def
-Calm Mind
-Giga Drain
-HP Ice
-Focus Blast

Swampert

Swampert (M) @Leftovers |Torrent Relaxed
252 Atk, 216 Def, 4o Sp Def
-Scald
-Ice Beam
-Earthquake
-Roar

Scizor

Scizor (F) @Choice Band |Technician Adamant
252 Atk, 248 Hp, 8 Sp Def
-Bullet Punch
-Superpower
-U-turn
-Pursuit

Alakazam

Alakazam (M) @Focus Sash |Magic Guard Timid
252 SP Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
-Psyshock
-Focus Blast
-Shadow Ball
-HP Ice

Suicune

Suicune @Leftovers |Pressure Bold
252 Hp, 252 Def, 4 Sp Def
-Calm Mind
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Scald

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Hey man, cool team.

I really like this team, it's fairly standard, yet still solid on paper, and definitely good in practice. I like the usage of an ancient threat in Focus Punch Tyranitar, so huge props to you on that. However, there are some flaws in this team that I see, so hopefully my rate will iron out those flaws and help this team improve. With that said, let's get to the rate. Alright, first up, I would like to suggest running an EV spread of 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD over your current spread. With the aftermentioned EV spread, Hippowdon is able to take on more Specially based mons, as with it's naturally high bulk, it doesn't need that much investment in the Defense departmant. Moving on with your team, I would recommend running Superpower in place of your current choice of Taunt on Haxorus. With Superpower, Haxorus is able to get past it's worst enemies in Ferrothorn and can do some solid damage to opposing Skarmory, another Pokemon that Haxorus has some trouble with. Staying on Haxorus, I would like to suggest running an Adamant Nature over your current choice of a Jolly Nature. When running an Adamant Nature, Haxorus' Attack reaches a sky high level of 648, while still being to outspeed the whole OU meta bar those Pokemon that carry Choice Scarf. Moving forward with this team, I would like to suggest running a Life Orb on Breloom over your current choice of a Lum Berry. When you factor in Technician and STAB, the power of Brelooms attacks are already strong, but when you add in a 1.3x increase in the power of those moves, a sweep is almost guaranteed. Well, that's all I have to say for now. I hope my advice helped. Have fun and good luck in your future endeavours!​

• Hippowdon
    : 252 HP / 4 Atk / 212 Def / 40 SpD -> 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
  • Haxorus
    :​
  • Taunt -> Superpower​
  • Jolly -> Adamant​
  • Breloom
    : Lum Berry -> Life Orb​

~Dr Ciel~

Hey man, cool team.

I really like this team, it's fairly standard, yet still solid on paper, and definitely good in practice. I like the usage of an ancient threat in Focus Punch Tyranitar, so huge props to you on that. However, there are some flaws in this team that I see, so hopefully my rate will iron out those flaws and help this team improve. With that said, let's get to the rate. Alright, first up, I would like to suggest running an EV spread of 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD over your current spread. With the aftermentioned EV spread, Hippowdon is able to take on more Specially based mons, as with it's naturally high bulk, it doesn't need that much investment in the Defense departmant. Moving on with your team, I would recommend running Superpower in place of your current choice of Taunt on Haxorus. With Superpower, Haxorus is able to get past it's worst enemies in Ferrothorn and can do some solid damage to opposing Skarmory, another Pokemon that Haxorus has some trouble with. Staying on Haxorus, I would like to suggest running an Adamant Nature over your current choice of a Jolly Nature. When running an Adamant Nature, Haxorus' Attack reaches a sky high level of 648, while still being to outspeed the whole OU meta bar those Pokemon that carry Choice Scarf. Moving forward with this team, I would like to suggest running a Life Orb on Breloom over your current choice of a Lum Berry. When you factor in Technician and STAB, the power of Brelooms attacks are already strong, but when you add in a 1.3x increase in the power of those moves, a sweep is almost guaranteed. Well, that's all I have to say for now. I hope my advice helped. Have fun and good luck in your future endeavours!​

• Hippowdon
    : 252 HP / 4 Atk / 212 Def / 40 SpD -> 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

• Haxorus
    :​
  • Taunt -> Superpower​
  • Jolly -> Adamant​

• Breloom
    : Lum Berry -> Life Orb​

~Dr Ciel~
Thanks! Superpower + Adamant really makes the difference against opposing Skarmory´s. I also tried the Life Orb Breloom, but he dies really fast with Sandstorm + recoil. Maybe a Fist Plate should fit better to get a better revenge killer? And Hippo was Specially Defensive on the first place. I´ll try it once more with his new teammates in order to see if he is now fit to get into Special again :)

Hi there,

Cool team, I like the Dragon Dance Taunt Haxorus a lot and can attest to it's effectiveness. Anyway, as for your team I'm kind of concerned that you're running balance without a Specially Defensive wall. It looks like you're going to be incredibly hard pressed against Rain Teams, as many common members of Rain Teams [Politoed, Keldeo, Thundurus-T, Rotom-W, Latios] all look incredibly threatening. Your team is really not offensive enough to work around this problem, and you really lack a safe switch for any of these. The easiest way to integrate some kind of Special Wall into your team would probably be to try out a Specially Defensive set on Breloom. It at least gives you a buffer for the onslaught of Rain spam teams currently in this metagame, as you are incredibly weak to all of the aforementioned threats. I understand the role of Breloom on this team however, and another option would be to revert back to your Specially Defensive Hippowdon. I'd argue that either works, but if you choose to go with Hippowdon then you might want to add something else for Rain, as Hippowdon is not switching into Rain boosted water moves.

Another thing I noticed was the Tyranitar set you're running. I understand the novelty of Tyraniboah, but it really isn't effective in this metagame. Tyranitar performs much better and for your team, much more important roles. If anything, Tyranitar just opens up some of your weaknesses further [Offensive Volcarona, Calm Mind Latias, Life Orb Latios]. For a team with a pretty big weakness to the latter two, I think you could change your set slightly to benefit your team more. If you don't want to go with either the Breloom or Hippowdon suggestions, then I'd strongly consider trying out a Specially Defensive Tyranitar over your current set. It allows you to beat Latias / Latios, while checking Volcarona -- you also fare well against Celebi + Heatran, and Skarmory + Blissey, just like Tyraniboah does.

If you don't want to go with the Specially Defensive Tyranitar suggestion, and you think that Breloom or Hippowdon would make better Special Walls, then another option could be to try out Scarf Tyranitar, which similarly allows you to beat Latias / Latios / Volcarona, while you can apply much more pressure against Politoed and friends. For B/W2, I've found that to have a Scarfer on every team works wonders, as you really cannot rely on your defensive core to check everything. Scarf Tyranitar is more of a catch-all revenge killer if anything, while helping you with your weather troubles considerably.

I know this was kind of a pick and mix rate, but I felt there were some issues to address. Consider trying out these changes, good luck!

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 232 HP / 216 SDef / 60 Spe
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Spore
- Seed Bomb / Leech Seed
- Focus Punch
- Substitute

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spe)
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Superpower / Rock Slide
- Fire Blast / Crunch

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Hi there,

Cool team, I like the Dragon Dance Taunt Haxorus a lot and can attest to it's effectiveness. Anyway, as for your team I'm kind of concerned that you're running balance without a Specially Defensive wall. It looks like you're going to be incredibly hard pressed against Rain Teams, as many common members of Rain Teams [Politoed, Keldeo, Thundurus-T, Rotom-W, Latios] all look incredibly threatening. Your team is really not offensive enough to work around this problem, and you really lack a safe switch for any of these. The easiest way to integrate some kind of Special Wall into your team would probably be to try out a Specially Defensive set on Breloom. It at least gives you a buffer for the onslaught of Rain spam teams currently in this metagame, as you are incredibly weak to all of the aforementioned threats. I understand the role of Breloom on this team however, and another option would be to revert back to your Specially Defensive Hippowdon. I'd argue that either works, but if you choose to go with Hippowdon then you might want to add something else for Rain, as Hippowdon is not switching into Rain boosted water moves.

Another thing I noticed was the Tyranitar set you're running. I understand the novelty of Tyraniboah, but it really isn't effective in this metagame. Tyranitar performs much better and for your team, much more important roles. If anything, Tyranitar just opens up some of your weaknesses further [Offensive Volcarona, Calm Mind Latias, Life Orb Latios]. For a team with a pretty big weakness to the latter two, I think you could change your set slightly to benefit your team more. If you don't want to go with either the Breloom or Hippowdon suggestions, then I'd strongly consider trying out a Specially Defensive Tyranitar over your current set. It allows you to beat Latias / Latios, while checking Volcarona -- you also fare well against Celebi + Heatran, and Skarmory + Blissey, just like Tyraniboah does.

If you don't want to go with the Specially Defensive Tyranitar suggestion, and you think that Breloom or Hippowdon would make better Special Walls, then another option could be to try out Scarf Tyranitar, which similarly allows you to beat Latias / Latios / Volcarona, while you can apply much more pressure against Politoed and friends. For B/W2, I've found that to have a Scarfer on every team works wonders, as you really cannot rely on your defensive core to check everything. Scarf Tyranitar is more of a catch-all revenge killer if anything, while helping you with your weather troubles considerably.

I know this was kind of a pick and mix rate, but I felt there were some issues to address. Consider trying out these changes, good luck!

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 232 HP / 216 SDef / 60 Spe
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Spore
- Seed Bomb / Leech Seed
- Focus Punch
- Substitute

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spe)
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Superpower / Rock Slide
- Fire Blast / Crunch

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
Thanks for the advise, until now I didn´t realized my lack of special walls. I made Hippo on Special, and Tyrano was a Special Tank at first, but after many tries, he turned into the BOAH, CM Lati@s aren´t a problem to Tyrano and Offensive Volcarona owns him anyway. The rain monsters you say are a probleem, indeed, but after switching into battle and taking some hits Breloom can take them out really esaily if their HP is lower than 50% or 30% on Thundurus without no SD boost.

Right now, special Landorus is giving me trouble

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)