NU Stats - February 2013

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus
regirock is nice but it faces so much competition from golem (recently got a huge boost in custap berry), golurk (can beat sawk), probopass (can avoid the ko from samurott and has volt switch to keep momentum), piloswine (a hard counter for many pokemon, most notably electric-types), and other stealth rock users. although it has huge bulk it doesn't really have much else to help beat out the competition, and fitting more than one of these pokemon on a team is usually a bad idea so that's probably why regirock is so low.
Yes indeed he faces competition but all of them does, as all of them serves a different role from eachother even tho their main point is to get up Stealth Rock, but again Regirock is by far not outclassed by other Stealth Rock setters in this tier, but you also can't fit Regirock on every team and that wasn't my point. Anyway as I said Regirock poses great defenses and a decent attack stat which let it stand a chance against setup sweepers with a great supporting move in Thunder Wave, and great STAB in Rock Slide. Regirock isn't for no reason a top tier pokemon, and I really think it deserves more usage, but that is indeed my opinion.

Glad to see Seismitoad Rising. It is a great special wall since it beats the rotoms, Gardevoir, and others. It can beat many common stealth rock users and set up stealth rocks itself, and maintain an offensive presence. I hope to see it rise more. :)

Why is Liepard so high? The only thing it is good at is being annoying as crap.

I also honestly dont see why armaldo is in the top ten. It is ok, but its not great. Many other things does its job of setting up rocks better such as Golem. It has rapid spin sure, but really... it doesnt deserve top ten IMO.

Why is miltank so high? Its a good wall, but many common threats destroy it like sawk. It is just not Metagame friendly.

Misdreavus is rising. :D I love this thing. Keep going! It can sweep, wall, trick, its so versatile.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Glad to see Seismitoad Rising. It is a great special wall since it beats the rotoms, Gardevoir, and others. It can beat many common stealth rock users and set up stealth rocks itself, and maintain an offensive presence. I hope to see it rise more. :)

Why is Liepard so high? The only thing it is good at is being annoying as crap.

I also honestly dont see why armaldo is in the top ten. It is ok, but its not great. Many other things does its job of setting up rocks better such as Golem. It has rapid spin sure, but really... it doesnt deserve top ten IMO.

Why is miltank so high? Its a good wall, but many common threats destroy it like sawk. It is just not Metagame friendly.

Misdreavus is rising. :D I love this thing. Keep going! It can sweep, wall, trick, its so versatile.
Yep, seismitoad rising sure is great.

Liepard, when used correctly is a massive threat. Unfortunately 95% of Liepard you run into will be used badly thus giving it the reputation you mentioned, since the noobs get thrashed by a liepard and then try it for themselves most likely.

It is the only viable rapid spinner in the tier, the next best rapid spinner is... well, to be quite honest it anorith.

Lickilicky, the apparently best mixed wall of NU, is thrashed by sawk as well. Miltank is just properly good, offensive can also be pretty viable, but mainly the nice defensive set works the best. One of the top walls of NU imo.

Misdreavus is alright, but mainly as a spin-blocker, and who wants to use a pokemon with rapid spin anyway in NU?

| 26 | Wartortle | 6.88825% | 6086 | 6.612% | 4940 | 6.614%

Too high, it is mostly dead weight when not spinning, has no offensive presence, is easy to wear down and is just begging to be set up on by things like ludicolo and substitute users. All it has going for it is rapid spin, and this metagame is not friendly to rapid spinners. Expect to drop 5-10 places.

| 51 | Tauros | 3.65223% | 3360 | 3.650% | 2599 | 3.480% |

This is far too low, it needs to be in the late 20's, early 30's. It's a powerhouse and late-game cleaner all in one. This guy can sweep offensive and defensive teams alike, providing scarfers are down. I've won so many games with Tauros and he always pulls his weight. Just make sure to avoid Burn/Para.

Rest of the stats I find are working alright, good to see people realising just how good Misdreavus is with Sawks and Golurks everywhere, can be a very good check to these threats.

Misdreavus is alright, but mainly as a spin-blocker, and who wants to use a pokemon with rapid spin anyway in NU?
you have a skewed perception of misdreavus if you really believe that its decency primarily comes from being a spinblocker; it's a solid switch-in to sawk and gurdurr, and ruins many defensive or slower pokemon with a fast (base 85) taunt and/or will-o-wisp. the emphasis should be placed on its ability to either be an effective stallbreaker or utility pokemon, especially with how stall has gained a bit of popularity. with taunt, misdreavus shuts down heal bell and wish pokemon such as alomomola, audino, and lickilicky, and misdreavus can sometimes mess around with certain variants of bastiodon and musharna. taunt and will-o-wisp is also very handy for keeping stealth rock and spikes off the field, especially when the users of those moves can't do much to misdreavus. this already makes it unique and very usable on many teams without even considering the fact that it can spinblock effectively.

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus
It is the only viable rapid spinner in the tier, the next best rapid spinner is... well, to be quite honest it anorith.
I disagree with you here because Armaldo is not the only viable rapid spinner in the tier and no, Anorith is not the next best. Armaldo is a decent rapid spinner actually a really good one due him beating Missy with Lum Swords Dance as +2 Stone Edge 2hko's, Armaldo can also run Aqua Tail for Golurk and with Armaldos nice bulk he can beat all spin blocker in this tier. The next rapid spinner and probably the best one is Torkoal, Torkoal can boost is SAtk to great levels with Shell Smash and outspeeds all spin blockers after a single Shell Smash provided there is not something like an Scarf Haunter, with Torkoals nice coverage in Fire Blast and Earth Power he can easely beat the spin blockers in this tier after a boost.

Misdreavus has pretty good bulk factoring Eviolite, and it has a really good typing and immunity which makes it quite hard to get rid of (not as annoying as Mushy though :[). It counters Sawk quite easily, it can setup alongside Musharna with CM or NP, it has Pain Split, which isn't too reliable, but can help against stuff like, as I said, Musharna because of Missy's bad HP stat. With the lack of viable fire types in the tier, Missy has almost next to no problems going for Will-O-Wisps if something like Sawk is locked into a move. Misdreavus is a pretty good stall breaker and can even be used as an offensive pivot because of its pretty good SpA stat. Misdreavus can even burn Skuntank with WoW if it catches it on the switch, and it has the option to outspeed if you want to run more speed EVs. Misdreavus is quite decent in NU atm, and with the possibility of Hariyama and Scoliopede dropping, it may get even better.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Torkoal can't get past the uncommon Frillish but that's beside the point. We have a grand total of two fully evolved spinners (meaning they're the only ones to use Leftovers over Eviolite, but Wartortle isn't that good anyway and other spinners are irrelevant), both of which have very respectable defense but exploitable Special defense, weaknesses to Water and Rock attacks, vulnerability to all hazards and are slow as molasses. That leaves us with almost no variety if you want hazards off your side of the field, hence the high demand that leads to high usage. Wartortle's high usage is likely because of Charizard fanboys or because of fear of stacking weaknesses.

With Scolipede threatening to fall down to NU, I fear for the stability of our NU metagame.

Is it even possible to prevent Scolipede from setting up at least one layer of hazards bar a Swellow (Brave Bird) or Persian (Taunt) lead? Slower Taunt leads, like Misdreavus, Skuntank and Sawk, and I guess Glalie with Focus Sash, can prevent the second layer of (Toxic)Spikes, but not the first.

That's assuming Scolipede does not use a Focus Sash of its own, as with a Sash it can always set up one layer (bar the rare Persian with Taunt leading off), and in many cases I see it getting three layers (especially when facing SR-leads who set up SR on turn 1).

Is it even possible to prevent Scolipede from setting up at least one layer of hazards?
Something with Mirror Coat (Bastiodon), Prankster Taunts, Scarf 'mons that can OHKO Scoliopede (Gardevoir and Braviary), idk anymore though.

True, but how often do you actually lead with something Scarfed? I rarely face Scarfed leads, bar some random dude at Showdown which leads with Scarf Simisear.
Prankster Taunt... well... both users of that combination get OHKO'd by Megahorn (and have better things to do).

Magic Coat Bastiodon... well, as long as Scolipede does not carry Earthquake.

Punchshroom

Out of all potential RU dropouts, Scolipee is easily the one to be the most metagame-changing. It has Spikes and Toxic Spikes. That alone is pretty huge. Add to that magnificent 112 base speed and Scolipede can easily pop back in later in the match to set up more layers while not being easily stopped, something it has over Garbo and Rosy. The sheer power behind its Megahorn (the only STAB Megahorn in the tier might I add) would deter any Taunt user fast enough to stop it, while EQ easily wrecks Magic Coat Bastiodon and Probopass. That's not even the half of it...

Scolipede also has fantastic coverage options. You'd be hard-pressed to find something that can comfortably take Megahorn, EQ, Rock Slide, Aqua Tail, Poison Jab, and Superpower, especially if backed by Swords Dance. 558 Attack and 335 Speed with this movepool is nothing short of scary.

Its typing may give it a ton of weaknesses, but it is also a huge blessing. The Poison typing absorbs Toxic Spikes and stops Alomomola's Toxic, meaning Alomomola cannot Wishtect stall and has to be careful not to knock Scolipede into Swarm range for a boosted +4 Megahorn. The 4x Grass and Fighting resistance is also helpful, and the fact that Psychic types steer clear from getting skewered by STAB Megahorn means the Poison typing is hardly a hindrance at all (unless you miss).

All of its abilities are situational but can be useful too (cough*Keen Eye*cough): Swarm works well with Focus Sash or on offensive sets, granting a 50% power boost to its already powerful Megahorn; Poison Point can punish Rapid Spins, Close Combats and U-Turns; Quick Feet flips the idea of paralyzing it on its head as it outruns everything (actually being able to attack is a different story though).

This thing gets Baton Pass as well, along with Swords Dance, Iron Defense and Agility. Yeah.

The only saving grace is that both the Spinners which I've belittled earlier ironically do a good job against Scolipede, threatening it with their STAB attacks and spinning the hazards away on it. Both must be wary of Scolipede's coverage move though despite their good defense and spinning against Pede itself can backfire thanks to Poison Point.

Bottom line, should Pede drop to NU it will either be insta-S Rank or quickbanned. It has even more versatality than fellow unstoppable Spiker Deoxys-D of OU (formerly) in terms of getting rid of its obstacles and even has sweeping potential. If there is one RU dropout that I do not mind staying there, it's this monster centipede. Though due to the sake of theorymonning, perhaps it could have a shot at NU, but I still shudder to think of the drastic changes it would bring about our relatively balanced metagame.

I think Scolipede will be a useful mon in the metagame and not overpowering, in the same way Golurk was though to be a tierbreaker but fits very nicely. The only thing that may cause problems is this tier's complete lack of high end fire types right now, unless you want to call Torkoal one but he's very often a utility/defensive guy. Scolipede will threaten a lot of top tier mons, but it still won't appreciate switching into the plethora of Psychics that have grabbed control in NU this round.

The biggest stop to Scolipede might be dropping with him in the form of Rhydon. Obviously EQ and Aqua Tail may not be great for Rhydon to come in and take all day.

Also, Golbat, already one of the best physical walls in the tier (and still underused in my opinion), could be a fantastic counter to Scolipede, since only a boosted Rock Slide or insanely boosted Megahorn will cause him problems. Although STAB Brave Bird will hardly cause Scolipede to shake in its boots, it seems to me he'll struggle to break through Golbat.

Punchshroom

Ah, forgot about those two, though their lack of passive recovery could prove problematic, epsecially Rhydon who is susceptible to both Spikes and Toxic Spikes. The likes of Golurk was held back by his lack of speed and an Attack-boosting move to abuse his wide coverage. Scolipede's coverage options make him a difficult mon to switch into, and that applies to the very same Psychics that you said Pede would have to worry about switching into. A pokemon with good offensive stats, fantastic coverage and tremendous support potential in hazards and Baton Pass may not be overwhelming at first glance, but there's no doubt that it will be centralizing, being able to fit on nearly any team archetype.

Besides, non-Scarfed Psychics cannot revenge Scolipede as Scolipede outspeeds them. Swellow is the only non-scarfed Pokémon that can safely revenge Scolipede. Oh and Foul Play Electrode I guess.

Rhydon can't do much to Scolipede. It has way too much to worry about without recovery, especially Aqua Tail but Earthquake as well.

Golbat however, seems to have an easier time with a typing that walls everything bar Rock Slide and it can Roost off the damage. But boosted Rock Slides still hurt, and Scolipede has a turn in which it can do everything it wants to do as you switch to Golbat.

Musharna might also check Scolipede if completely fresh, as Psychic OHKO's Scolipede while Megahorn does not OHKO Musharna unless Choice Banded/boosted, but Musharna obviously can't switch in as Life Orb Megahorn deals about 75-85% of damage if I calculated correctly.

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus
Scolipede is going to make offensive spike stacking teams incredibly viable, Scolipede stands out from other spikers like Roselia, Cacturne and Garbodor is his speed and and typing. Pokemon like Musharna and Gardevoir love to switch in on those as Musharna beats Cacturne as long as it isn't at +2 and Gardevoir can destiny bond on him, they really don't wanna switch in on Scolipede as both is getting 2hko'd/ohko'd by Megahorn which is letting Scolipede having an easier time beating them, the most reliable check to Scolipede is probably going to be Regirock as it can cripple him with Thunder Wave and from there flinching him from laying more spikes. Another good option is offensive Rock Blast Armaldo which can beat Scolipede. There really isn't anything that is faster than Scolipede which wants to stay in and Taunt it, I think Scolipede is gonne be really good in this meta as NU is really weak too hazards, but I don't think it's going to be broken in any circumstances.

Another thing is that combusken has raised a bit, though it should be a bit higher. Combusken is great, it can be physical, or special, and it is virtually faster than every pokemon in the tier. Its pretty good, so hopefully it will rise a bit more.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Bottom line, should Pede drop to NU it will either be insta-S Rank or quickbanned. It has even more versatality than fellow unstoppable Spiker Deoxys-D of OU (formerly) in terms of getting rid of its obstacles and even has sweeping potential. If there is one RU dropout that I do not mind staying there, it's this monster centipede. Though due to the sake of theorymonning, perhaps it could have a shot at NU, but I still shudder to think of the drastic changes it would bring about our relatively balanced metagame.
Your points about Scolipede are pretty misguided, especially because the last time it was in NU, there was only one more Rapid Spinner than we have now (if you guessed that it was Smeargle, give yourself a cookie).

Sure, having something that can reliably set up Spikes + Toxic Spikes is neat, and Bug/Poison typing is pretty clutch in a Psychic/Dark/Fighting infested metagame. However, Scolipede has a ton of flaws that you're completely glossing over. It's pretty damn frail, getting 2hko'd almost 100% of the time by CB Sawk Close Combat, and it only has 4 resistances to begin with (4x Grass/Fighting, 2x Bug/Poison). It's SR weak with no reliable recovery, which means that while it is suited to immediately threaten a lot of Pokemon with its decent attack and excellent speed, it can just as easily be forced out, limiting the number of times it can build momentum for you. Another thing that NU now has is Golurk, which is basically a full stop to Scolipede as long as you keep Toxic Spikes off your side of the field. Megahorn also has the lovely tendency to miss at the most oppertune times, like Hydro Pump or Stone Edge.

So yes, Scolipede would be an S-tier threat in the viability rankings, and at least a top 3 Pokemon in the usage stats (it was #5 in a metagame filled with RU Pokemon and #2 in the 1337 stats), it isn't broken. Quite frankly, a nice shake up of the tier would be pretty good, as I look at the metagame and see a fuckton of Sawk / Skuntank / Gardevoir or Haunter / Musharna cores.

Speaking of rhydon, I feel that it actually might be good in the metagame. It is obviously better than golem in everything but the lead set. Its physical bulk is among the best in nu and its special bulk isn't bad when boosted by eviolite. I think that most electric types will run hp grass to get past Rhydon. The biggest problem is rhydon's poor typing, but it can tank powerful attacks with the right EV spread of course.

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...
Your points about Scolipede are pretty misguided, especially because the last time it was in NU, there was only one more Rapid Spinner than we have now (if you guessed that it was Smeargle, give yourself a cookie).

Sure, having something that can reliably set up Spikes + Toxic Spikes is neat, and Bug/Poison typing is pretty clutch in a Psychic/Dark/Fighting infested metagame. However, Scolipede has a ton of flaws that you're completely glossing over. It's pretty damn frail, getting 2hko'd almost 100% of the time by CB Sawk Close Combat, and it only has 4 resistances to begin with (4x Grass/Fighting, 2x Bug/Poison). It's SR weak with no reliable recovery, which means that while it is suited to immediately threaten a lot of Pokemon with its decent attack and excellent speed, it can just as easily be forced out, limiting the number of times it can build momentum for you. Another thing that NU now has is Golurk, which is basically a full stop to Scolipede as long as you keep Toxic Spikes off your side of the field. Megahorn also has the lovely tendency to miss at the most oppertune times, like Hydro Pump or Stone Edge.

So yes, Scolipede would be an S-tier threat in the viability rankings, and at least a top 3 Pokemon in the usage stats (it was #5 in a metagame filled with RU Pokemon and #2 in the 1337 stats), it isn't broken. Quite frankly, a nice shake up of the tier would be pretty good, as I look at the metagame and see a fuckton of Sawk / Skuntank / Gardevoir or Haunter / Musharna cores.
Unfortunately, golurk is not a full stop to scolipede because it learns aqua tail through move tutor and because of golurk, it will might be a standard move. I'm not quite sure if scoli will be broke in NU. It really rapes after a SD boost especially since nothing good but swellow outspeeds it, it has decent physical defence and is not weak to any priority, but it might struggle setting up because of it's SR weakness and plethora of weaknesses. Other than that, it is true most common walls struggle with scolipede but still, misdreavus is a decent wall and original people might try out golbat or frillish. Flying types in general will probably be a decent answer if standard set does run aqua tail over rock slide. However, I'm thinking weezing might get the most love since he resists both stabs and can retalliate with a fire blast (and doesn't fear pursuit).

Speaking of weezing, people might be less tempted to use it now that sawk has mold breaker, but I find it amazing in the current meta. Weezing is another wall that benefits from emboar's departure and in more than one way. Not only is there one less wallbreaker that is immune to will-o-wisp, but the way it affects the rest of the metagame is good to weezing too. Emboar's and amoonguss' departure has made life easier for grass types and taken away alomomola's most common switch-in. Weezing takes on most grass types pretty well and has fire blast for vileplume and roselia. The fact it's immune to toxic let's him come in alomomola if needed and fear only a scald burn which shouldn't be too troublesome if you're facing stall. Sure it's often free spikes set up, but used wisely, weezing is immune to about everything stall teams will throw at it. (Weezing won't stop alomomola from passing huge wishes and can only burn the receivers so don't consider it your alomomola switch-in, it just defeats it one on one in the long run with pain split)

I agree with tennisace scoli will probably shake up the meta in a good way though so hopefully it's not broke.

Punchshroom

the most reliable check to Scolipede is probably going to be Regirock as it can cripple him with Thunder Wave and from there flinching him from laying more spikes.
I think this will be one of the main/sole reasons Pede would even give Quick Feet a shot, considering how situational it is. It could probably see use on Suicide leads or Baton Pass sets.

Pede's flaws are numerous, but don't hold a candle to how much Pede can do in a game (or the whole metagame) and can overcome its flaws fairly easily. Pedes that intend to switch in on attacks like Close Combat and U-Turn can run a defensively inclined spread along with Poison Point, and its Speed tier is good enough to justify this, as it can still outrun base 105s (namely Kadabra) and investing a bit into bulk or even forgo some Attack investment while still securing O/2HKOs on relevant threats, such as Megahorn on Zangoose or etc. And as Sweet Jesus has said before me, Golurk has to watch out for SD or CB boosted Aqua Tail. X-Scissor is always an option to consider in the power vs accuracy issue, like Hydro Pump vs Surf.

The problem I find with Scolipede is that it is incredibly hard to stop it from doing its job: the worst part being it can fulfill so many roles. The hazards setting variant will obviously be the most common, yet its speed prevents it from being Taunted easily, can easily destroy faster Taunters and can utilise its high speed to simply come back in for Round 2 to set them up again. Scolipede has bar none the best physical movepool you'll ever see on a Bug type ever (eat your heart out Genesect), and it has Swords Dance. Even seemingly-soild checks like Golurk, Rhydon, Regirock, and Golbat become iffy if hazards (SR for Golbat) are on the field and faced with +2 or even +1 Aqua Tail, EQ, Superpower or Rock Slide. Misdreavus and Weezing can stop this if they're healthy, but fall prey to the hazard Pede, who gets up at least 2 layers before Missy's Taunt or Weezing's Fire Blast. Did I mention this thing gets Baton Pass, which is incredible for an offensive pokemon that can force so many switches? +2 Attack Swellow, +2 Defense Musharna and +2 Speed Sawk or Golurk can get pretty dangerous. Even dry pass in an option for CB Sets.

Like I said though, this subject is merely theorymonning, and Scolipede may fit snugly in NU, though I fail to see how the Sawk / Skuntank / Gardevoir or Haunter / Musharna cores would not skyrocket should they receive Scolipede support. Deoxys-D was very effective in laying down hazards, and while Pede doesn't have the bulk or lack of weaknesses, it boasts arguably just as much, if not more versatality and can sweep in a pinch. That said, I doubt Toxic Spikes' usefulness considering how popular itself will be.

Nice to see that troll Liepard still has high usage, that makes it easier for people who use Encore over Swagger to stop setup sweepers, since they never see it coming.

Featherdance Murkrow could take on Scolipede pretty well, assuming Scolipede hasn't gotten any boosts yet. Foul Play does 41% ~ 49% to the average Scolipede (meaning 4HP/0Def/252Atk) without factoring boosts, which is a guaranteed 2HKO after SR (if this is the case, Persian and Sneasel would do a pretty good job at it too given that they outspeed Scolipede). Liepard could also encore it into Toxic Spikes if you have a TS absorber on your team.

What does Featherdance do to prevent Spikes/Toxic Spikes from getting up? Or against being hit with a Rock Slide on the switch? Worse, if your Murkrow is a Perish Trapper, Scolipede just sets up 5 layers of hazards while you are busy Perish trapping it.

And about the cores mentioned (Sawk/Gardevoir/Skuntank and Musharna/Haunter), Liepard and Pinsir rape them.

Governess

A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Seeing Gardevoir rank as No. #3 is good. Being a great special wall with access to WoW, with a variety of support moves make it a viable option for many NU teams. It can perform so many roles as well. One day, it may reach No.1 in usage :>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)