CAP 16 CAP 5 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Skyfall (and Magistrum), don't worry. Only the actual final submission is considered as canon.

The "flavor backstory" and supporting art can be included as suggestions if Magistrum were to win and spriters wanted to follow the Shiny colors suggested, etc. Indeed, just as spriters could pick other Shiny colorings, so too does voting for Magistrum's design not require us to give CAP5 any of the moves in Magistrum's supporting art.

It's just nice to see additional pretty things sometimes.

Well crap...with a base 55 speed I doubt my Xenomushroom will fit aesthetically. I lack the time and inspiration to make a design that looks slower, so here is Xenomushroom in color.

I might tweak the color scheme a bit and add shading before I make this a final submission. Perhaps even sketch up a face view.

Well crap...with a base 55 speed I doubt my Xenomushroom will fit aesthetically. I lack the time and inspiration to make a design that looks slower, so here is Xenomushroom in color.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l539/ShyGuy1221/Xenomushroom-color.jpg

I might tweak the color scheme a bit and add shading before I make this a final submission. Perhaps even sketch up a face view.
appearance doesn't necessarily dictate it, though. take skarmory for example; it looks like it'd be shredding you to pieces at supersonic speed with those blade-wings, not tanking physical hits like a champ and setting up hazards - yet, that's what it does.

besides, it looks like an alien, right? perhaps their body structures have different rules than normal pokemon.

your design looks fantastically cool, by the way.

appearance doesn't necessarily dictate it, though. take skarmory for example; it looks like it'd be shredding you to pieces at supersonic speed with those blade-wings, not tanking physical hits like a champ and setting up hazards - yet, that's what it does.

besides, it looks like an alien, right? perhaps their body structures have different rules than normal pokemon.

your design looks fantastically cool, by the way.
The design looks light. That means it isn't very strong in slow-reaction muscles (or whatever you call it)
anyway, what I mean to say is that if it is an alien, gravity would become a flavorful excuse as to why it's so slow-because it's being crushed under the increased gravity.

@Magistrum
Your design is amazing, I'm glad you went with the Spirals for eyes in the end, worked with the overall design much better than circles.
Far and away the best looking design imo.

Final Submission

The Angler Toad, The Gentlemen Toad

I've spent a bit of time removing unnecessary lines; hopefully reducing him to his essential concept.

The angler toad is an ambush hunter, and by that, i mean he hates moving if avoidable. Incredibly slow and fat, once a suitable hunting ground has been found, this toad will squat until the prey population has been depleted.

Smaller prey are attracted to the sweet smell and color of his wart fruit, and then easily knocked unconscious by the toxins they contain. The toad may then eat at his leisure.

More discerning prey are attracted by his mustache vines. Highly prehensile, with fruit that can change shape and color; many toads can be found at the water's edge, fishing lazily. One particularly large and old specimen was found to change his fruit to look like rodents; attracting the Hoothoots and Noctowls he prefered to eat.

As a final anecdote, these toads are shamefully afraid of bug pokemon. Many a Toad has accidentally attracted heracross with their sweet berries; only to sit shamefully still as they eat their fill.

I've always imagined this guy as a seasonal color changer, in order to better camouflage themselves, so here's what that looks like.

Wow oldmandugan that is my favourite design so far! I've kind of given up on this cap as I just can't think of a suitable design but hopefully next cap I can bring something actually worthwhile to the table! I'll continue to look at this and give support though!!

The design looks light. That means it isn't very strong in slow-reaction muscles (or whatever you call it)
anyway, what I mean to say is that if it is an alien, gravity would become a flavorful excuse as to why it's so slow-because it's being crushed under the increased gravity.
Very true. It's also quite thin, clearly showing its rather low physical defence; that tail lariat and those scythes on the front of its arms show off the attack stat, too.

You can't really show special defence; but it's an alien, so maybe it has some sort of shield that buffers it from such attacks?

Maybe the dark aspect can be that he produces shields of darkness? also, those frail legs are not for sprinting.

Showcasing a few choice moves to show off how this thing generally moves and bends. While designing this I did come up with a little story of a girl and mon' duo who were partners in crime and thought it was cute enough to put in here.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Finally have some time to draw! Expect more from me over the next few days. Here's CORNMON

Moonlight
"Ready" pose

Lemme know if you guys have any requests for moves / stances you want to see!

Final Submission

Accidentally missed that we can't name them, good thing I have a back button... Wasn't sure if the deadline was up so I ran home when I saw this topic and put this together. Some info.

Height: 4ft
Type: Grass/Dark
Species: Leaf Ninja
Weight: 16 pounds

Known to be skilled hunters that rely on their stealthful ability to capture foes. Despite their appearance, they are very light for their size forcing them to rely on methods of capture that don't involve pure speed. It's arms are leaves adorned with spiked edges and are big enough to allow it to glide over obstacles(given a decent amount of wind). The petals around it's neck unfold during the night. They hide in plain sight during the day, appearing as giant flowers in the ground.

Favorite moves: Moonlight, Needle Arm, Thief, Payback

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
Birkal, I second Crunch, it better be punny

also, Crush Grip, Acid Spray, Eruption, Tickle and Mega Kick plz

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Do Overheat, because I envision mighty popcorn antics. :D

Decided to try a different design to better reflect the typing, and because I wanted something less human/fighting.

So after much doodling, I present ye with the Bog Swamp Zombie.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a110/kingofanime/rober_zps791f35e5.png

I tried getting a design that would show good attack power, low defense, and terrible speed; but also be able to justify a good special defense stat. The way I figured, zombies are clumsy shambling beasts who really can't withstand any sort of melee or physical hit, but are hardy enough to withstand the elements and continue pursuing their prey.

The cloak of peat and decayed plant matter that covers its body offers protection from the elements, but is fairly brittle when physical force is exerted onto it. Due to the weight of the plants, it has very slow speed; resulting in a slow moving shambling swamp monster. Because of this, it prefers to hide and be an ambush predator, often lurking in vegetation or a body of water to get an early jump on prey.

I felt this design represented Grass/Dark quite well, as swamps and peat bogs are like a graveyard of sorts for plant material, so a reanimated zombie swamp monster seemed like a perfect idea!

Lemme know if anything looks glaringly bad.

Do Overheat, because I envision mighty popcorn antics. :D

Decided to try a different design to better reflect the typing, and because I wanted something less human/fighting.

So after much doodling, I present ye with the Bog Swamp Zombie.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a110/kingofanime/rober_zps791f35e5.png

I tried getting a design that would show good attack power, low defense, and terrible speed; but also be able to justify a good special defense stat. The way I figured, zombies are clumsy shambling beasts who really can't withstand any sort of melee or physical hit, but are hardy enough to withstand the elements and continue pursuing their prey.

The cloak of peat and decayed plant matter that covers its body offers protection from the elements, but is fairly brittle when physical force is exerted onto it. Due to the weight of the plants, it has very slow speed; resulting in a slow moving shambling swamp monster. Because of this, it prefers to hide and be an ambush predator, often lurking in vegetation or a body of water to get an early jump on prey.

I felt this design represented Grass/Dark quite well, as swamps and peat bogs are like a graveyard of sorts for plant material, so a reanimated zombie swamp monster seemed like a perfect idea!

Lemme know if anything looks glaringly bad.
glaringly bad? hardly. if this popped out on my game i'd be like holy fuck that is awesome
it shows the dark/grass typing really well, in both colouration and design, as well as stats. i can totally see this thing pursuiting hapless pokemon into the dust, and using those arms in a sort of power whip.

harvest interpretation is a little more creative, but... maybe it is harvesting brains, hehe.

the needing to stretch your imagination with it is the only flaw, for me, because this is a truly fantastic design.
...i have a feeling he won't like that he's gonna be used on sun teams, though. IT BUUURNS.

@ Birkal: Natural Gift; Recycle

Harvest makes me think of those two moves, and it seems like you could have some cartoony fun there especially if you take very literal directions

Oh Birkal, your cornmon looks so maccob . . . Get it? ma-COB . . .oh I am so punny, I slay myself.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Consider this a rough 4 day warning. This thread will have about 48 hours to go after we conclude the secondary ability polls. No need to rush, but start thinking about your final submission!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)