Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Moving mouse on a Pokemon could provide more information (such as stats).

2. In VGC you can check only one of your Pokemon's by moving the mouse on it.

3. In teambuilder there could be an option to use a set from the Strategy Pokedex.

Could there be an option to check which moves/items a Pokemon has after you have picked a move for the turn? It's annoying that I have to cancel a move to go back and see if "y" Pokemon has "x" move.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
Zarel and friends, is it possible to provide End Turn Health percentages in the battle logs? NBS is the only one that does this, and this feature makes following the battle much easier when reading through logs.

Here's an examplehttps://docs.google.com/document/d/1IIuo0bG-zbjv0zovrrNY0Yhw8lqsHvJt6q-VZu-HpFY/edit of an NBS log with end turn health displayed after each turn. Thanks!
One day I'll bring back the warstory generator, and that one will have end-of-turn HP percentages.

jrp

Banned deucer.
something i've been thinking about on irc
my idea would be setting an unrestricted ladder as the default for new alts. I'm not saying to force people to play in it, but it would alleviate the stress from the ubers ladder where you have to play people's ingame teams a good portion of the time. It would also let people use ingame teams and have a relative chance of winning (since competitive players wouldn't use that ladder).

MJB

Sup Peeps
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
something i've been thinking about on irc
my idea would be setting an unrestricted ladder as the default for new alts. I'm not saying to force people to play in it, but it would alleviate the stress from the ubers ladder where you have to play people's ingame teams a good portion of the time. It would also let people use ingame teams and have a relative chance of winning (since competitive players wouldn't use that ladder).
What would stop players with decent teams joining and ruining if for those who want to use in game teams?

jrp

Banned deucer.
yeah, in hindsight I said the wrong thing lol

but statistically, I doubt you're going to get a large number of people doing that, and the people using ingame teams are still going to lose if they're laddering in OU/Ubers with their teams

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Is there any reason we don't have a cartridge accurate sleep clause and Hit Points display?

The unfortunate thing about both of these is it leads to multiple, very real, battle scenarios that cannot be replicated on cartridge.

MJB

Sup Peeps
Is there any reason we don't have a cartridge accurate sleep clause and Hit Points display?

The unfortunate thing about both of these is it leads to multiple, very real, battle scenarios that cannot be replicated on cartridge.
Both of these things have been argued to death and really shouldn't be discussed here. AFAIK the hp bars are now cartridge accurate (or this is shown when you hover your mouse over the hp bar, i cant remember) and sleep clause has many issues, including this, that will be dealt with at some point. I recommend heading over to the policy review forum to see some of the arguments about these points.

There should be server-processed tournaments, in which a mod could type a command to start a tournament and then people could join simply by typing another command. It would use brackets generated internally, rather than having to go to another website.

That's pretty much the only thing PO has over Showdown, and it's the only reason I ever go on PO.

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
There should be server-processed tournaments, in which a mod could type a command to start a tournament and then people could join simply by typing another command. It would use brackets generated internally, rather than having to go to another website.

That's pretty much the only thing PO has over Showdown, and it's the only reason I ever go on PO.
We'll have that after we have channels.

Eeyore's Corner

Hello Everyone! I am thrilled to be a part of this, and astonished that my suggestions could be read by the people who make this so amazing.
Please let me know if I can help.

Showdown only really has a few things to improve it. Several have been mentioned-- I apologize in advance.

=>Server tournaments would be excellent (I am too faithful to PS to get a PO account, but I heard they can make tourneys with their own restrictions), along with channels for the chat.
=>A connection to Smogon accounts with PS accounts, that would cut down on chipmunked IP addresses and troll/spammers. I think we all know the SHINY TEETH AND ME guy.
=>A connectivity to Pokemon caught in game, in a new tier. The perfection of the simulator is amazing, but it would be a new experience to have a tier of Pokemon you caught in game. It would re-bring breeding back into the experiment, and make "shinies" more than just a button. I understand that this might not be possible, with Nintendo Rights, and Wi-Fi battles being Nintendos thing. I can see how they wouldn't like it if they think we stole that thunder too.
=> 10 character nicknames. I'm tired of battling MyPenisIsBigger Magikarp nicknames.
=> Cathy's idea of only select websites being routed from PS chat, to prevent NSFW
=> and finally, get rid of the ability to hax. I don't know if it is actually implemented or not within the system, but I know enough about C++ and people complaining that some idiot will find a loophole, and until it's official that you can't really hack PS battles, people will complain.

Other than that, PS is gorgeous, and has very minute problems for such a massive simulator.
I'd love to be a part of it!

When you use /data [move] it could show the PP number of the move as well?
Continuing with what Floww said, how about /data [pokemon] shows what tier a pokemon is in? It's a major hassle having to use /analysis to find out what tier a measly, say, Drifblim is.

MJB

Sup Peeps
Hello Everyone! I am thrilled to be a part of this, and astonished that my suggestions could be read by the people who make this so amazing.
Please let me know if I can help.

Showdown only really has a few things to improve it. Several have been mentioned-- I apologize in advance.

=>Server tournaments would be excellent (I am too faithful to PS to get a PO account, but I heard they can make tourneys with their own restrictions), along with channels for the chat.
=>A connection to Smogon accounts with PS accounts, that would cut down on chipmunked IP addresses and troll/spammers. I think we all know the SHINY TEETH AND ME guy.
=>A connectivity to Pokemon caught in game, in a new tier. The perfection of the simulator is amazing, but it would be a new experience to have a tier of Pokemon you caught in game. It would re-bring breeding back into the experiment, and make "shinies" more than just a button. I understand that this might not be possible, with Nintendo Rights, and Wi-Fi battles being Nintendos thing. I can see how they wouldn't like it if they think we stole that thunder too.
=> 10 character nicknames. I'm tired of battling MyPenisIsBigger Magikarp nicknames.
=> Cathy's idea of only select websites being routed from PS chat, to prevent NSFW
=> and finally, get rid of the ability to hax. I don't know if it is actually implemented or not within the system, but I know enough about C++ and people complaining that some idiot will find a loophole, and until it's official that you can't really hack PS battles, people will complain.

Other than that, PS is gorgeous, and has very minute problems for such a massive simulator.
I'd love to be a part of it!
ok so I dont mean to be mean here but im going to go through your suggestions:

1) This has been suggested before many times and will eventually be implemented. Most like when channels are implemented, however this is not a trivial task due to how PS is coded and so while it will be done eventually, we are not sure when.

2) while this might cut down on spammers, it seems unnecessary and not terribly user friendly. I personally don't feel we should pigeon hole users into signing up to smogon, though I dont know the percentage of users we have that don't have an account.

3) This is impossible as far as I know

4) This wont really fix the problem, instead of "MyPenisIsBigger" we will just have "Big Penis" or whatever. Not to mention it punishes users unnecessarily.

5) I'm not sure if this is still being done or not, but links on PS now go through and intermediary step asking if you are sure and warning of the risks.

6) Hax will not be removed. If it was we wouldn't be playing pokemon anymore and what would be the point. We are trying to remain true to cartridge mechanics as much as possible and this goes directly against that and so wont be done. someones ability to "hack" PS is completely irrelevant.

Thank You

ok so I dont mean to be mean here but im going to go through your suggestions:

1) This has been suggested before many times and will eventually be implemented. Most like when channels are implemented, however this is not a trivial task due to how PS is coded and so while it will be done eventually, we are not sure when.

2) while this might cut down on spammers, it seems unnecessary and not terribly user friendly. I personally don't feel we should pigeon hole users into signing up to smogon, though I dont know the percentage of users we have that don't have an account.

3) This is impossible as far as I know

4) This wont really fix the problem, instead of "MyPenisIsBigger" we will just have "Big Penis" or whatever. Not to mention it punishes users unnecessarily.

5) I'm not sure if this is still being done or not, but links on PS now go through and intermediary step asking if you are sure and warning of the risks.

6) Hax will not be removed. If it was we wouldn't be playing pokemon anymore and what would be the point. We are trying to remain true to cartridge mechanics as much as possible and this goes directly against that and so wont be done. someones ability to "hack" PS is completely irrelevant.
Okay =] Thank you for your honest feedback.
Can't claim I really know What I'm doing, just trying to give my part.
I'll be quiet.
thanks =]

Sorry for being a bit insistent on this point, to anyone and everyone who has heard (and may continue to hear) me blather on about it, but could I at least get an estimate on when Showdown is going to be completely mod-friendly again?

I realize that modded servers can and do exist on Showdown, and that Showdown is indeed flexible server-wise; but not only can you not see any changes in the client, mods like Joimmons have to tell prospective users to directly edit Pokémon via the Import/Export function to make use of custom moves and abilities. What's more, custom items require that their mechanics be edited on over useless ones; now, can you really call that 100% mod-friendly? The reason I'm so insistent on this point is because I had hoped there would be interest in a battle simulator with coding as pliable as Shoddy Battle's was, back in the day; Amazing Ampharos' Modded Server, Snowy Mountains, Captain's Modded Server... and even CAP, before it became an official Smogon project. None of these projects would have gotten off the ground, had Shoddy not been more flexible than Pokémon Online was when it was the official Smogon simulator, and a bit more flexible than Showdown is now. (If you recognize the middle two names, you may remember that I was a coder on both of those servers at different points in time; if so, send me a PM!)

I don't claim to have a ton of Javascript coding experience or know what the problem is beyond a very basic "the client depends on certain files it should probably read from the connected server instead"; but I wouldn't mind trying to help figure out the problem if I could.

Shiny Teeth guy always confused me. Why should he talk to you when he's got 32 shiny teeth (and me)?

This has probably already been suggested, and/or is likely being implemented, but a /warn command would be pretty nice. Basically, just for the sake of letting a user know they should be cautious at what they're doing, coming from the fact that it would be a much more convenient way to remind them rather than outright punishing them.

would it be backseat modding if only the voices and up had it? Regular users don't need it.
Then again, I always thought the /kick was good enough. Gets users to shut up and take a break while their browser sends them to another page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)