Pokemon Glitches

This thread is for glitches you have encountered in the pokemon games.

I was playing an emaluator of pokemon diamond and at the start where barry follows you I managed to walk through the "Route 209" sign by pressing down then instantly pressing left again while beside it. Barry was a space behind but walked through the sign aswell when I walked left.

Pokemon emerald has a slew of Glitch Pokemon akin to the original RBY. I wish I still had it to prove it to you, but I remember having one whose species was "MIRROR COAT", it had Blissey-Esque stats, but more (Higher sp.a and sp.Def, lower speed), and had Drizzle as an ability. It'd learn Psychic, Thunderpunch, Body Slam, and Softboiled.

Again, I know it doesn't mean much because I can't exactly prove it.

I'll go ahead and mention the famous "Mew Glitch".

The graphical glitch in the Ice type gym in BW. There are about 2-3 rocks you can walk through near the end of the gym.

Pokemon emerald has a slew of Glitch Pokemon akin to the original RBY. I wish I still had it to prove it to you, but I remember having one whose species was "MIRROR COAT", it had Blissey-Esque stats, but more (Higher sp.a and sp.Def, lower speed), and had Drizzle as an ability. It'd learn Psychic, Thunderpunch, Body Slam, and Softboiled.

Again, I know it doesn't mean much because I can't exactly prove it.

I'll go ahead and mention the famous "Mew Glitch".
That's fantastic, I wish you still knew how to get it!

The Sky Drop Glitch in Pokémon Black and White is one of my favorites, I used it in WiFi battles until it was banned.

What you do is use Toxic the first turn to start racking up damage, with your other Pokémon doing whatever. Then, you use Sky Drop with one Pokémon and Gravity with the other. The Pokémon who used Sky Drop will return to the ground, while the Pokémon who was Sky Dropped is stuck in the air for the rest of the battle, or at least until it dies.

Rinse and repeat as necessary to win as many battles as you want. :)

Oh wow...I thought I was the only person who experienced this

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
There is a glitch that I found one day because I was playing very... intesely?
Basically on B2W2's floccessy ranch oh the most top right patch of grass in the first you know, bit patch (before getting to the ranchers, that side of the fence) is a single step where the grass does not shake visually when you step through it. I also ran around in it for ages and it doesn't appear that you can run into wild pokemon in that one space. It does however make the sound it makes when you step through grass. Weird, huh.

On the subject of AR-discovered glitch pokémon in Gen 3, I once found a very peculiar creature while toggling with the AR's on/off switch while using Sapphire's Catch Trainer Pokémon code:

I dubbed this creature "Advanced 'M" for 2 reasons:

- In battle, before learning attacks, it would cause the game to freeze with blocky Gen 1-esque graphics.
- Within its name of garbled text, only an M was clear.

It had Chimchar's number in the pokédex, the circular ? sprite, and horrendous stats in all but Defense, and Speed, which surpassed even Ninjask, and it had Speed Boost.
After levelling up at any time, it learned Ice Punch and one other random move.

Oh, and its type combo was NORMAL/BEAUTY!

I don't know how well known this is, but you can walk right through a couple of the trees in the upper-left corner of the Giant Chasm. There's one map square on either side that can be passed through vertically in both BW and BW2. It's largely useless, but hey, it's something.

The GSC and Emerald cloning glitches were awesome. There's a tree you can surf on in B2W2 in the Poke Studios area on the upper right.

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
Emerald cloning glitch was so fun, I cloned so many kyogres and rayquazas and groudons and master balls. It made diamond/platinum legendary catching hella fun.

Geodude6

Look at my shiny CT!
My sister somehow got a bad egg on Ruby. So while I was at school and she was home sick she traded it over to my Emerald (good thing she took a derpmon) and used the cloning glitch to fill my PC with them. I eventually figured out how to get rid of them. And, as payback, I stranded her in Dewford. With no money. And no Pokeballs. And only a level 5 Magikarp.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Obligatory mention of the Emerald cloning glitch. Seriously, that was the best.
Amen to that.

My sister somehow got a bad egg on Ruby. So while I was at school and she was home sick she traded it over to my Emerald (good thing she took a derpmon) and used the cloning glitch to fill my PC with them. I eventually figured out how to get rid of them. And, as payback, I stranded her in Dewford. With no money. And no Pokeballs. And only a level 5 Magikarp.

lmao.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
How has this thread gotten to this stage without the mentioning of the ubiquitous "99 Rare Candy Cheat" from RB? We all know the one, with the Coffee Guy and how it screws with the game code.

Best part is: Never do this accidentally on a HM (Or other unnumbered item)... It leads to you having billions of of them and you cannot re-stack them and the PC only has a finite amount of space...

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
Not sure how well known this is, but I remember randomly finding this glitch in White 1 involving a fisherman on Route 4:

You start at the lower right corner of the water, surf up, and then turn right when you reach the tile in front of the fisherman. Do it right and you'll land on the same tile as the fisherman!

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I think 4th Gen had the best glitches, as they made it seem GF simply had no beta testers by then.

First, the free Pursuit glitch. In JP DP, if the first move your Choicemon used while on the field was Pursuit, and it hit a fleeing pokémon, you would not be locked on it the next turn. Amazingly, this glitch existed in ADV, but no one ever noticed it because lol Pursuit was a special move and we only had Choice Band back then. I guess that was the very first (and only?) time a glitch crossed generations.

Then, the Surf on E4 Glitch. It was in a tile by the outer limits of the map, so, if you used Surf on the first E4 room's door, you'd get in the "black space" of the map and could go pretty much anywhere (except for Hall of Origin, unfortunately). They fixed it in later versions of JP DP (and obviously, US and EUR DP)... but then people discovered the tweaking glitch, which was present since the earliest versions. They only finally solved the problem in Platinum; the glitch is still there, but now you need the event flags from the Oak's Letter and Member Card for Darkrai and Shaymin to appear. Boooooring.

Then we have the Mimic Glitch. It's a bit convoluted, but basically, you could teach any pokémon any move, as long as it learned Mimic. This is because a Transform pokémon would keep the target's moves if it fainted while Transformed, so you could Mimic Transform and use it against an ally Smeargle and... well. The best part is that they fixed it in later versions of JP DP... then HGSS came about and we got a variation of the glitch, but with Rage. Only a handful of pokémon learn Rage compared to Mimic and you could only learn 3 moves but hey, it was still there. And I *think* it didn't exist in JP HGSS, only US/EUR, which made everything much weirder.

And finally, Acid Rain. I fucking swear I don't know how they got themselves in that mess. My best bet is that, as it's known they fixed a small glitch (or simply changed the mechanic) involving U-Turn, Intimidate and Substitute, maybe they also took their time fixing/changing something involving Pursuit and U-Turn and accidentally BUFFER OVERFLOW SCIZOR IS HURT BY ITS TECHICIAN CASTFORM TRANSFORMED!!!! derp.

It's a shame Smogon never adopted Acid Rain. It was beyond retarded and "clearly a glitch", but wasn't gamebreaking and it wasn't fixed by the time US HGSS was released; it lasted longer than Hypnosis's Accuracy increase to 70 and no one considers the latter a glitch, so "developer intent" doesn't mean much lol...

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
And finally, Acid Rain. I fucking swear I don't know how they got themselves in that mess. My best bet is that, as it's known they fixed a small glitch (or simply changed the mechanic) involving U-Turn, Intimidate and Substitute, maybe they also took their time fixing/changing something involving Pursuit and U-Turn and accidentally BUFFER OVERFLOW SCIZOR IS HURT BY ITS TECHICIAN CASTFORM TRANSFORMED!!!! derp.

It's a shame Smogon never adopted Acid Rain. It was beyond retarded and "clearly a glitch", but wasn't gamebreaking and it wasn't fixed by the time US HGSS was released; it lasted longer than Hypnosis's Accuracy increase to 70 and no one considers the latter a glitch, so "developer intent" doesn't mean much lol...
But it is very VERY obvious this isn't intended. I remember having an argument with a few people about this very thing and how "we should match the cartridge". The set up required for acid rain and how it comes about is really convoluted, there is no possible way this is intended and Smogon was quite right to never adopt it. Regardless of its "lack of game breaking".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)