Project Neverused: Revival

Django is a loser y/n

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...
you've said it yourself :

What does Simipour have to do with comparing Golduck and Samurott?
That was pretty much the point of my answer post.

The rest of your comments have all been answered to in the initial post. I didn't say golduck was better than samurott or simipour, I suggest a different set that can compete for a place on a team with samurott since it boasts different advantages which is the point of this thread. If you can quote me on golduck's flaws, it's because I'm not trying to hide them but I'm explaining them to the reader as the cons this set has so he can properly understand when to choose samurott for his team and when golduck should be taken in consideration.

EDIT: I'll stop this post battle here, but if you go back to the very first sentences of my first post, you'll notice that the main point of this set is to immitate samurott while still outspeeding opposing samurotts (and weakend ludi's) as it is one of the hardest pokes to counter/check in NU.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I must have phrased myself pretty poorly there. Your post made it look like: "If I choose Samurott over Simipour because it has Megahorn and Aqua Jet, why am I bothering with Golduck?"

However, Golduck isn't completely flawed: it certainly fares better against weather teams than Samurott does. However, against the vast majority of teams, Samurott often proves superior as it can take out more threats with greater efficiency (ex: your opponent switches in the wrong counter/check for your physical/special Samurott), whereas Golduck is too easily stopped to be worthy of considerion over Samurott (most of the time).

Edit: While I'm still somewhat inclined to disagree, it's fair enough I suppose, so yeah let's end this.

Agilitycuno(Bulky Agility)

Articuno@Leftovers/Life Orb
EVs 252Hp, 252 Sp.A 4 Sp.D
Modest nature.
-Ice beam
-Roost
-Agility
-Hurricane

I've used this set countless times since I first created it right after the release of BW2 in Japan. Obviously, then, I find it quite effective, and friends
irl do too.

Articuno has excellent defenses and a good offensive typing, but modest Special Attack and Speed. Agility allows Articuno to welcomely invest in it's already high defenses and max out it's special attack, without worrying nearly
as much about it's speed. Generally Speaking, Agility has three advantages. Firstly, Articuno can prioritize it's offensive typing over defensive more effectively than non-Agility sets. If Articuno outspeeds it, then the opponent must be able to take it's attack. This screws up potential checks such as Simisear. Sadly, though, Emboar and Cinccinco aren't around for Articuno anymore, but hey, you could say that's a good thing. Next up, we have the Agility+Roost Combo. This allows Articuno to fare much better against Electric Type attacks(And to a lesser extent, Ice and Rock) Virtually none of the Special Electric-Types in NU can hope to 2HKO Articuno's invested Defense unboosted, let alone non-STAB. Articuno can therefore stall them with Roost, and potentially net HP. Finally, we have the most Stereotypical ability of a speed-boosting pokemon: The late-game sweep. Articuno's typing can result it in cleaning quite nicely once those checks are removed and Articuno's hitting everything Super-effectively.

Overall, Agilitycuno utilizes it's stat distribution arguably more effectively than the standard offensive set. The lack of speed investment isn't a huge loss, as 85 base speed is better than most pokemon not running their own speed EVs. It's Special Defense is excellent, and makes for a sturdy tank. It's also easy for the opponent to assume a defensive Articuno, and they will pay dearly if they bring in a pokemon such as Gurdurr(Which I've seen several times). Articuno is an easy switch-in to Grass-Types, and can stop occasionally stop sweeps by taking the attack and retaliating. Just like virtually everything 4X weak to Rock, Articuno wants rapid spin support, though it does bounce back sometimes due to it's defenses.

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus

Samurott @ Salac Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 HP | 252 Atk | 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
Waterfall | Megahorn | Swords Dance | Substitute

This set is very good and stands out from the ordinary Lum SD set due too Substitute and Salac Berry which are boosting its speed and protects him from status, which in my opinion outclasses the old Lum SD set as it can only protect you from status once and is easely revenge killed even with a +2 Aqua Jet. What this set does and not the ordinary SD set does is beating Alomomola as it can't break his sub at becomes completely setup fodder for Samurott, the niche for this set is just how easy it is to setup with him due to Samurotts decent bulk and Water-typing, which are very good in NU where Water is a very good typing. Also at +2 with a salac boost and Torrent boost Samurott becomes very hard to stop, the set rounds off the coverage with Megahorn which are hitting the majority of Grass and Psychic types like Musharna and Ludicolo hard, it does ohko Ludicolo by ease and that is why Jolly is used too speed tie with Ludicolo. Max attack is used for hitting as hard as possible and the rest in HP for some slight bulk.​

Kadabra @ Focus Sash
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP | 252 SAtk | 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
Psychic | Signal Beam | Hidden Power [Fighting] / Encore | Miracle Eye
Credit to BrosTime for the sexy layout

When you first look at this set, nothing really looks special. That is, until you see Miracle Eye. Kadabra is a great lure for Skuntank, being able to trap Kadabra. That's where Miracle Eye comes in. If you hit Skunk on the switch, that bastard is dead, having a 2x weakness to Psychic. Most people just stay in because they have absolutely no clue what Miracle Eye even does (lol). So now Skuntank can't do much to your Kadabra as long as you haven't taken any prior damage (Magic Guard ftw) and it must be at full health. With Focus Sash, you can live any of it's attacks and OHKO the standard Skuntank back with Psychic. It's really unexpected and I've put it to great use.

Punchshroom

Miracle Eye. And here I was messing about with Trick, Destiny Bond and Will-o-Wisp. Excellent find, friend. The only problem is that it won't fool the same player twice (or once on a player who's aware) and can be switched out of, but forcing Skunk out with a Psychic is pretty hilarious.

I've gone through extensive testing this afternoon, and I saw that at least 85% of my opponents stay in after Miracle Eye. And I don't get your thing about not fooling the same player twice, lol, unless he carries two Skunks or a Skunk and a swagfag lizard (Scraggy). It's really great to have because Kadabra usually doesn't give a damn about his 4th slot, although Encore on Sash set is wonderful. I really suggest you guys give it a go, even though Miracle Eye can be a bit situational (although Skunk is really common in NU these days).

Punchshroom

When I say "not fooling anyone twice", I mean the players who got their Skunks owned by Psychic will know what Miracle Eye does and thus not stay in after getting hit with it on the switch should they face it again. Still, the idea of forcing Skunk out to hit another poke with Psychic instead of Skunk ruining your fun is really cool. Good job.

Ooooooh now I get it, it didn't make much sense for me at first. And thanks, lol. Try it out, you won't be let down by it.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Miracle Eye is a pretty innovative idea to deal with Dark-types JCM! Even if it won't fool the same opponent a second time, it DOES mean that suddenly that Kadabra that they thought Skuntank would handle isn't so easy to beat anymore, especially if you still have your Sash intact. You can even slash in Encore over HP Fighting if your team has a way to handle Steel-types or Shadow Ball over Signal Beam since you don't need to hit Dark-types with it so desperately anymore.

It's funny that you mention that because I've been using Kadabra in a tri-Fight team (Became dual-Fight now). It actually does sound nice to have Encore because like I previously mentioned, it's great on Focus Sash sets. Shadow Ball does sound nice to hit Psychic and Ghosts harder, especially Shedinja who can pose a threat to Kadabra.

Spinda: Here to ruin your day

Spinda has long just sort of sat there not really doing anything, with everyone hating it forever, deemed one of the most useless pokemon, even in the NU tier. With generation V, it got contrary and superpower. The current major build talks about how the only thing contrary can be used for on spinda is super power. However, Spinda's interesting movepool gives it a different option. Skill Swap.

Move List:
Skill Swap
Trick
Rapid Spin/Toxic
Encore/Toxic

EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpD, 4 Def
Item: Black Sludge/Choice Scarf/Anything
Ability: Contrary

The whole point of this set is to cripple pokemon who are setting up, as well as just creating a general confusion. Skill Swap is a rather confusing move, and since it is rarely used in the meta, is hardly well known.

At first you might think this set is interesting. Then you remember it is Spinda. With 60 base stats all around, you would be surprised that this set can actually be viable. Out of all the NU pokemon that can learn both Trick and Skill Swap, Spinda is the only one with an ability that can backfire on those who don't expect it.

Tricking over a Black Sludge or Choice Scarf can also cripple walls. Black Sludge really hurts walls, especially when they rely on leftovers. Choice Scarf is a common, yet still handy crippler on slower pokemon. Rapid Spin is mostly there for a utility move as well as an attack to counter Taunt, though why anybody is taunting Spinda is beyond me. Encore is there to also cripple up setups, though you're going to have to predict it, as you're pretty slow. Toxic can be replaced with either Rapid Spin or Encore, it depends on what you want Spinda to do.

The following are a couple of unknown facts regarding Skill Swap.

1. Skill Swap goes through subsitutes, making baton passers cry out in agony.
2. A pokemon's ability is reset when switched out. While that means that opponents can switch out then back to get their old ability, you can also return spinda and give another pokemon Contrary when it suits you.

Skill Swapping Contrary is the main point of this set, but the general idea of it is offensive utility, in which you aid your team by hindering their team.

The most opportune time to use Spinda would be as a counter lead. Many people enjoy starting off with Stealth Rock or some sort of setup as quickly as possible, so Tricking over a Choice Scarf could cripple them. If the pokemon you're up against doesn't look like a setup user and instead is planning on whiping the floor with Spinda, you can easily have Spinda be a martyr scout by Tricking a Choice Scarf over, then countering what move it has to use with a good counter.

Skill Swapping Contrary can be handy in many situations, such as using it before a baton passer or sweeper can set themselves up. Not only do both baton passers and sweepers normally rely on their abilities, but they now cannot set up with a stat booster at all.

The core problem with this set is only if you have toxic or black sludge, in which you can't effectively cripple poison types. Other than that, anything that can outspeed a Spinda (that's going to be quite a lot, folks), could get a hit in before Spinda can. However, Spinda has been surprisingly bulky in my experience using this set, by which I mean it doesn't die in one shot. using Spinda as a lead can help counter it's issues, as stopping a setup as quick as possible is what Spinda's stubby little legs can handle.

All in all. Spinda's stats aren't going to get you anywhere. However, making it a really awkward utility can cripple the setup your opponent may need.

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
However, Spinda has absolutely no bulk, and especially against typical stealth rock leads, if the opponent uses an attacking move, spinda is just about dead. And even if they stealth rock and you trick them a choice scarf, they will switch and you would either use rapid spin or skill swap. If skill swap, the poke can just switch out again for free if no stealth rocks are up while you would either switch or rapid spin. Either way you are in bad shape (bad matchup or rocks on field). If you rapid spin, a poke can come in that can do damage to spinda and you are forced out. Honestly, most times you are not in a great position using this as a lead.

Spinda was able to withstand some hits using this set when i tested it further against some leads as well as a charizard and arbok because why not. Take note that none of these hits are criticals.

Bastiodon's Iron Head: 29% damage, 4 Atk

Exeggutor's Psychic: 38% & 42% damage, 4 SpAtk

Camerupt's Earthquake: 81% damage, 252+ Atk

Armaldo's X-Scissor: 65% damage, 252+ Atk

Charizard's Fire Blast: 77% damage, 252+ SpAtk, and life orb

Arbok's Gunk Shot: 100% damage, 252+ Atk, and life orb

Obviously it wasn't going to be able to take Arbok's Gunk Shot, as 120 power physical STAB against a special "wall" is probably going to work. However, the fact that a Charizard Fire Blast didn't kill it in one shot is effectively demonstrative oh how Spinda is bulky enough to at least get it's job done. As a note, you could also build Spinda with 252+ Defense and 4 SpDef instead, if you're lacking in physical defense.

Also, giving an opponent's lead that sets up with either rocks or boosting is significantly crippled with a choice scarf, as they can no longer set up or boost without having to switch again. As a note, I don't normally keep Spinda in for long, and I switch to a pokemon that sets up with Stealth Rock. If I find an opportune moment, I put Spinda back in to cause havoc, though yes, it is difficult to find such a moment, unless i've successfully parafused an opponent or have them in an encore lock.

The goal of Spinda is not to dominate and force a surrender (though it has happened). The goal is to cause enough havoc before it dies so that the rest of your team has a significant advantage.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
some notes on your calculations;

- bastiodon is a pretty weak reference point, and honestly it's not particularly good except for on certain teams (stall) that need the utilities it brings (ie it doesn't often have room for an attacking move).
- physically defensive exeggutor should be rare, honestly. it's not very good in the current meta and gets dominated by most of the popular threats. not that it diminishes the validity of your statement, but most of the time you'll be facing LO max attack exeggutor which does significantly more than that.
- camerupt's earthquake: i've literally never seen a physical camerupt in my life but okie dokes

my main issue with this set is with the bit at the end, here:

The goal of Spinda is not to dominate and force a surrender (though it has happened). The goal is to cause enough havoc before it dies so that the rest of your team has a significant advantage.
is the "havoc" that spinda creates worthwhile enough to dump an entire team slot on it? if we were to break this set down into its functions, it can: 1) trick black sludge, choice scarf or an otherwise harmful item onto something; 2) encore something and hopefully take advantage; 3) skill swap contrary onto something; 4) toxic stuff; 5) spin. i'm gonna talk about each one individually.

tricking stuff is generally quite good, but with this spinda set you basically have to trick turn one or deal with the negative side effects of your item immediately. black sludge is probably the least harmful, considering you only lose like 6.25% of your HP every turn you use before you get the trick off. choice scarf is significantly worse for you, since to get any advantage at all you'll have to switch back out again. something like flame orb or toxic orb is permanent and even activates on switch-in, so you don't have a turn to beat it. i'm all good with punishing the opponent with trick, but when you're also negatively affected by your own plan then it feels wrong. choice scarf rotom-a with trick is good because rotom-a can still use scarf in a positive manner if it's not ideal to trick away the scarf; there's no punishing item that spinda can give away and still not get burned if you can't trick at the first opportunity.

i'm gonna make it clear right now - i fucking love encore. it's probably among one of the best moves in the game, forcing the opponent's hand and making them play where you can get an immediate advantage. any pokemon that gets it probably has a usable set with encore, even if it's just like pairing encore + toxic + fillers. the issue here is that spinda cannot really sustain usefulness since it's frail (even with max sdef, you're getting 2HKOed by all common special sweepers and therefore you can't switch in whatsoever). unless the situation is ideal, meaning a slower pokemon sets up on you, encore will have minimal utility (or you can trade spinda to set up something of your own, i suppose).

skill swapping contrary sounds cool.. but to what extent will it actually be useful? basically everything important barring musharna, carracosta, and torkoal that boosts will be faster than spinda. you can also pseudo-nullify some abilities like regenerator once, but that's it. skill swapping contrary just doesn't seem... useful (ps - i'm pretty sure it doesn't immediately invert stats upon receiving anyway, so while it's helpful for against bp teams they just have to grab the speed boost and then kill your spinda asap). both toxic and spinning are quite straightforward, though spinda certainly doesn't have the means to beat other spinblockers like every other spinner in the tier can at least attempt to do.

ultimately, it's not really worth using a teamslot to use a pokemon that provides no defensive backbone and that can really only do one or two of those actions while it's alive. as soon as people catch on that it has encore, they'll just kill it, and the most you'll have done is trick something and poison something else. a "disruption platform" sounds cool, but honestly you'd probably be better off just using a pokemon that can KO things rather than starting off 5-6 to trade your opp's lefties for black sludge. :/

Punchshroom

Wanna know what causes just as much/more havoc? Lopunny, who has better speed to abuse Encore, better bulk (which is still only borderline acceptable), and is not crippled by her held item should she not immediately pass it away, thus reducing the urgency to Switcheroo and can afford to wait for the right opportunity to really mess up the opponent. Lopunny can also support well in her own right: Spinda has Rapid Spin which it does an absolute crap job at? Lopunny can use Healing Wish, surprise with Mirror Coat or Magic Coat, and can make better use of her offensive movepool should you decide to go that route.

Not that Lopunny is stellar, but certainly better than what you're trying to have Spinda accomplish.

Normally I give Spinda Black Sludge, which isn't as crippling to itself if I don't hand it off right away. In most cases, if Choice Scarf Spinda is going to be going before their lead, Spinda without it would as well. Though Choice Scarf is much more crippling to the person you hand it off to, it is too crippling to yourself as well, and you can also give it off to a sweeper by accident.

I admit that Lopunny's Klutz ability really aids it when it comes to switching items with opponents, but what makes Spinda stand out aside from Lopunny's shitty sidekick is that it can also transfer abilities with Skill Swap. It's true that giving Contrary isn't always the most hindering ability to give to someone else, but it also comes with the benefit of having them lose their ability which they may rely on.

I definitely agree that making Spinda your lead might not always be the best choice. I've found that if you put up Reflect and/or Light Screen before switching it in, it has a lot more time to wreck havoc. Though that can also be said for helping Lopunny, Spinda's access as both a Contrary giver/ability taker as well as awkward rapid spinner sidekick gives it a couple of nifty utility options over Lopunny.

You can also argue that Spinda's extensive movepool makes it's strategy unpredictable. Whether it is a Contrary Superpower "sweeper", a shoddy attempt at parafusion, a special attacker, a flail "sweeper", it's possible sets are so extensive that you have no idea what it will do, so it's hard to counter before Spinda has already done it's job. Though "counter" in Spinda's case is very broad, Dual Screens definitely aids it a ton. Meanwhile, just about everyone knows that Lopunny's core set heavily involves screwing around with items, so it is rather predictable and more possible to counter.

Punchshroom

Sometimes, even if a pokemon is more predictable doesn't make it easier to counter/stop. Since Lopunny's main goal is disruption, it isn't that easy to stop (though not to the extent of Liepard). It can easily cripple walls and sweepers alike, with Switcheroo, Thunder Wave, Encore, Charm, Fake Tears, and many other harassing moves in its disposal.
Out of all the NU pokemon that can learn both Trick and Skill Swap, Spinda is the only one with an ability that can backfire on those who don't expect it.
Switcheroo and Entrainment Lopunny can do this without being hindered by its item as well, and kinda blows Spinda's Contrary Swapping out of the water (though both effects are gimmicky at best anyway). Taunting or statusing Lopunny isn't always an out, as Lopunny can have Magic Coat or Heal Bell. KOing Lopunny before it does anything can be difficult against that base Speed and respectable Special Defense. Lopunny also has a workable offensive movepool, notably the elemental punches or Jump Kick which can trouble pokemon like Altaria, Torterra and Bastiodon. Even then, some pokemon that seem to completely halt Lopunny, such as Golurk, can't stop a Healing Wish. In short, Lopunny's speed and diversity in its role makes it almost completely impossible to stop it from doing its job (which you might not even find out until it's too late).

Spinda...doesn't seem to do much. It can't cripple or punish opponents much or at all for mispredicting its set. Contrary Superpowering is likely its best shot in this metagame and it still falls short at that, much less anything else it tries to do. I'm not too sure where you are going with Contrary Swapping: it only reverses an opponent's subsequent boosts after gaining the ability, which means Spinda has to Skill Swap before the opponent for this to even work, as faster opponents will merely start firing away with the boosts they have already obtained. So you have a Scarf to help you, should you not have Tricked it away? You Skill Swap, then what? You're forced to switch, while the opponent won't always weaken themselves with their boost (merely slowing them down), and either switch out and undo the whole process or simply stay in and smack you knowing you're Choice locked, which isn't a free switch-in for your teammates for the most part. That's not even talking about Spinda's terrible stats, as no Pokemon should bother with the impractical task of Contrary Swapping (honestly, I think it's about as tedious as Hypnosis-Dream Eater, except you actually cripple stuff). Yeah, if you predict an opponent to boost (or Sub or heal), just Encore them.

Giving Lopunny Entertainment when it has Klutz would make Switcheroo pointless, as it would just make the item you gave to hinder your opponent equally useless, as Entertainment makes the target's ability your own, in this case Klutz.

As for Switching Contrary over, it has happened all too often that I skill swap as a baton passer sets up their substitute. The primary case being Volbeat. Not only does Volbeat no longer have Prankster, it also can't use Tail Glow. The emphasis of switching Contrary over isn't to cripple them with Contrary, but rather to get rid of their ability, and replacing it with an ability that can easily backfire.

After mulling it over a bit, it seems like Encore would probably be a move to avoid using on this set, as you really need the speed to make it as strong as possible, and putting points into speed wouldn't make Spinda fast enough anyways, as well as even more squishy than it already is.

I'm thinking of changing the last move of Encore/Toxic instead to be Toxic/Hypnosis. Hypnosis's accuracy is only 60%, but it could definitely save you in certain situations, while Toxic could easily help a more stalling team.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender

Mr. Mime @ Leftovers
Trait: Filter
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot / Calm Mind
- Baton Pass
- Substitute
- Psyshock

This set can take advantage of teams using Skuntank to counter Psychic-types. Mr. Mime is able to set up either a Substitute or Nasty Plot as it switches in and Baton Pass out to something that doesn't fear anything from it while avoiding Pursuit. It's is no slouch at sweeping itself either, due to its nice Special Attack and Speed stat, which allows it to beat Sawk and Pinsir, something fellow Psychic-type Gardevoir cannot do.

Calm Mind can also be passed if one prefers to play that way. However, Musharna is generally the better option for passing those boosts since it can set up easier than Mr. Mime. However, keep in mind that Taunt Skuntank will be able to stop it from doing anything. A spread with 252 HP EVs is an option to set up on weaker special attackers such as Tangela and Probopass, but Mr. Mime will lose a lot of its sweeping capabilities.

Punchshroom

I have contemplated the idea of a Baton Passing Psychic before (in Girafarig) as a reliable out against Skuntank. The problem I find stems from the fact that few Special attackers that utilise the boost can feasibly come in on Skunk and swiftly KO it, as their generally mediocre physical defense can leave them vulnerable to a Crunch/Poison Jab + Sucker Punch combo.

Mr. Mime @ Leftovers
Trait: Filter
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot / Calm Mind
- Baton Pass
- Substitute
- Psyshock

This set can take advantage of teams using Skuntank to counter Psychic-types. Mr. Mime is able to set up either a Substitute or Nasty Plot as it switches in and Baton Pass out to something that doesn't fear anything from it while avoiding Pursuit. It's is no slouch at sweeping itself either, due to its nice Special Attack and Speed stat, which allows it to beat Sawk and Pinsir, something fellow Psychic-type Gardevoir cannot do.

Calm Mind can also be passed if one prefers to play that way. However, Musharna is generally the better option for passing those boosts since it can set up easier than Mr. Mime. However, keep in mind that Taunt Skuntank will be able to stop it from doing anything. A spread with 252 HP EVs is an option to set up on weaker special attackers such as Tangela and Probopass, but Mr. Mime will lose a lot of its sweeping capabilities.
I have used a set like this but i never though about abusing skuntank which has become increasingly popular recently. My set was more of a lead sash poke to pass massive boosts to sweepers.

Mr. Mime @ Focus Sash
Trait: Soundproof
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 HP / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Encore/HP FightingSignal Beam
- Nasty Plot
- Baton Pass

I used encore more of the times when i focused on passing and an attack when i wanted to hit hard with mr. mime himself. you said that when you baton pass out you evade pursuit, i always thought that only worked if you were slower. im probably wrong.

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...

Simisage @ Flying Gem
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Acrobatics
- Substitute
- Endeavor

Had fun with this thing that works pretty well. Seed bomb + acrobatics offer great coverage and can really surprise stuff like vileplume that expects the standard special set. Sub down to low health to activate overgrow or unleash a mighty endeavor on some walls you can't kill to then revenge them easily and sweep freely (works better with SR up so they can't come back in on something slower and heal after they've killed you). I had quite a lot of success pairing it with rocky helmet, max att, support carracosta.

Note: Simipour can do the same with waterfall since water + flying is also good coverage.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender

Munchlax (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 136 Def / 120 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Toxic / Sleep Talk / Curse

most people will expect the specially defensive set, but honestly lickilicky does that better. offensive munchlax is mainly used to get rid of jynx with pursuit, which is something that the pink blob lacks. it also has really nice special bulk—avoiding the 2hko from modest life orb samurott with the given spread—and actually packs quite the punch with return. the last slot is mainly filler to cripple physical walls or be able to kill jynx or severely hurt if you predict a lovely kiss. curse can be used to boost your stats but you're still walled by a lot of stuff so i wouldn't recommend it. munchlax shouldn't be your first choice as a sweeper but if jynx is giving you a hard time then feel free to try it out. you still shouldn't switch directly into life orb sets though since focus blast and psyshock always 2hko after stealth rocks; there's no real way to avoid this unless you drop your attack by a huge amount.

this set flourishes on balance teams that carry cleric and wish support. good partners include alomomola and vileplume; both of which enjoy having jynx gone from the match.

Punchshroom

^ On the other hand, if you feel like trapping stuff without losing offensive momentum, you can try this:

Swellow (M) @ Flame / Toxic Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 184 Spe / 72 HP
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Brave Bird
- U-Turn
- Pursuit

Now Swellow doesn't have anything new for it, what's new is the dropdowns from RU that gave one of its lesser options in Pursuit newfound viability. The custom EVs are a bit weird, but since max speed only ensures speed ties with other Swellows and outspeeds non-Jolly Rock Polish Armaldo (non-existant), you can run this EV spread if those are not concerns, and have more HP to better take Brave Bird recoil while still being able to outrun Zebstrikas. Feel free to run max speed if you want to be safe though.

So what makes Pursuit Swellow good now?
For one, Jynx is a new target, dealing 80% - 95% to 0HP/0Def Jynx if she stays in, a guaranteed OHKO after SR or 2 rounds of LO recoil. U-Turn can ensure the OHKO if Jynx stays in while preserving health (without SR on the field).

Second, Primeape and Scolipede's dropdown has bolstered the use of Misdreavus. While Skuntank and Misdreavus are constantly speedcreeping one another, the former still having to worry about switching into Will-o-Wisp, Swellow has no such issues, brushing off Will-o-Wisp and Shadow Balls easily.
Damage calc against standard Misdreavus:
252Atk Guts burned Swellow (Neutral) Pursuit vs 252HP/232Def Eviolite Levitate Misdreavus (+Def): 20% - 24% (68 - 80 HP). Guaranteed 5HKO.
252Atk Guts burned Swellow (Neutral) Pursuit vs 252HP/232Def Eviolite Levitate switching Misdreavus (+Def): 40% - 48% (132 - 156 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.
The residual damage even helps Swellow in this matchup, as Misdreavus cannot Pain Split for much at all and even risks healing Swellow should the latter try a Brave Bird. It's a lose-lose situation for Misdreavus, and a huge breath of relief for Scolipede and Primeape, who can usually finish off the weakened Misdreavus.

Swellow is also one of the few to naturally outspeed Scolipede, and OHKOes with boosted Facade, or you could even try to Pursuit it if you feel that ballsy. Swellow just got a whole lot better in this new metagame, and can even try trapping as a niche now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)