Seasonal Ladder - April (Fools Festival)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Fools Festival

It's a bit soon to post the thread, but I'm going on holidays and I want this to be perfect. The Immortal will take care of Seasonal while I'm out on April. As usual, feel free to comment about the metagame in this thread, if you see something wrong I encourage you to report it here.
---
This month features spring and three events: the famous April fools' day, the 4/20, and the national poetry month in the US.

• Crazy Spring weather is once again featured. For April, there's a 65% chance of Rain Dance, a 30% chance of Sunny Day, and a 5% chance of Hail.
  • Grass Pokémon everywhere due to spring!
  • Pokémon will be fooling you with jokes. There's a 20% chance that a Pokémon will be using the Illusion ability!
  • However, most Pokémon will simply prank. Every Pokémon will have a 40% chance of having the Prankster ability.
  • Additionally, natural Illusion and Prankster users will join the party.
  • There's a very special guest, well known for trolling your game data: Missingno. It will be around, ready to troll the opponent with its extensive pranky movepool!
  • The game itself will prank you. Time to time (40%), moves will have their typing changed. You didn't expect that, did you!
  • Pokémon are making a fool of themselves, so some of them will have a special switch-in message.
  • As a 4/20 spotlight, we'll have some stoned Pokémon that will get -1 speed and +1 to defenses upon switch in.
  • To celebrate the poetry month, every time a Pokémon faints the game will dedicate to the poor trainer a nice poem. Haikus included!
  • Some Pokémon will let their poet inside unleash when using the moves Attract and Charm, using a pick up line on their opponents. Let's see if that works!
  • April's birthstone is Diamond, so we are having Dialga as a guest too!
Missingno, Whimsicott, Liepard, Sableye, Thundurus, Tornadus, Illumise, Murkrow, Purrloin, Riolu, Volbeat, Rotom-Heat, Rotom-Fan, Gastly, Haunter, Gengar, Gliscor, Magikarp

Koffing, Weezing, Slowpoke, Slowbro, Slowking, Psyduck, Spinda

Venusaur, Serperior, Sceptile, Shiftry, Torterra, Meganium, Leafeon, Roserade, Amonguss, Parasect, Breloom, Abomasnow, Rotom-Mow, Wormadam, Tropius, Lilligant, Ludicolo, Cacturne, Vileplume, Bellossom, Victreebel, Jumpluff, Carnivine, Sawsbuck, Virizion, Shaymin, Arceus-Grass, Shaymin-Sky, Tangrowth, Pansage, Maractus, Cradily, Celebi, Exeggutor, Ferrothorn

Zorua, Zoroark

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Wow I wasn't even aware there was a day dedicated to drugs.
Anyway that's quite possibly the most tasteless thing I have ever seen in the seasonal ladder. Please consider taking any reference to 4/20 out.
I won't take the reference out just because there are users with no sense of humor :/ I've never taken any drug besides alcohol and I don't even drink that anymore, I'm usually against drugs yet I added that seasonal day (big thing in the US). Surely you can live with that humoristic reference, since tobacco causes way more deaths than it and it's legal.

zfs

Everything old is new again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wow I wasn't even aware there was a day dedicated to drugs.
Anyway that's quite possibly the most tasteless thing I have ever seen in the seasonal ladder. Please consider taking any reference to 4/20 out.
We can't remove everything that might be seen as tasteless. The March Seasonal ladder has references to alcohol, even though alcoholism can be a huge problem for many people.

Just take it as it is intended, as a little bit of in-season humor.

Looks fun, Joim; I'm especially looking forward to some Missingno havoc!

Stratos

Banned deucer.
big thing in the US
maybe if you're a grateful dead fan / making a bad joke at the expense of grateful dead fans

i dont want the us's reputation tarnished by something as retarded as "lol 4/20." it's basically the 69 of calendars

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hey guys, let's not argue about drug humor in a metagame thread.

As for a suggestion, how about a low-level Dialga? Diamond is April's birthstone, after all. (also please please please take out Magikarp, it isn't funny...)

Joim

Pixels matter
Pwnemon, that's pretty short sighted. I won't discuss it further since I find the references funny, but there's more to cannabis than pot heads, like cancer treatment.
Low level Dialga looks like a good idea, I'm adding it. Magikarp has Magikarp's revenge, but I can take it out if you want it badly :(

tehy

Banned deucer.
If you want to talk about bad humor, let's go for Miss jokes. I'm speaking of stupid stuff like Stone Miss. It's not funny, it's just dumb. Fail is even worse really, considering it's so overused in annoying ways already. So here's an idea to fix this.

Instead of just giving these to stuff that actually misses, let's randomly have every 100% move have a 10% chance of becoming a "fail" or "miss" move. These moves are now 80%. For example, Flamethrower can become Flamethrower miss. Or if we want to get really creative, Failthrower, but that might take a lot of effort. It's easy to work in the flavor too-even the MOVES are being pranksters!

How is that we're getting a cannabis reference but we missed Pi Day? :(
Anyway this seems interesting as Prankster makes everything 40% more annoying

How is that we're getting a cannabis reference but we missed Pi Day? :(
Anyway this seems interesting as Prankster makes everything 40% more annoying
All Voltorb/Electrode(Because they're circles) get their attack stat multiplied by 3.14 and all Munchlax/Snorlax(Because they eat pie) get their speed multiplied by 3.14. Make it happen.

Other round Pokemon, such as Koffing or gluttonous Pokemon such as Lickilicky could receive a similar boost to their most pointless stat.

Arcticblast

is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This is April's seasonal ladder. Pi day was five days ago.

That was a horrible oversight in this month's though :(

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Add Gloom and probably Garbodor to list of Stoned Pokemon

I look forward to this Seasonal. What's Missingno's movepool and abilities anyway?

Joim

Pixels matter
Aw, we missed Pi day :(
Missingno has Prankster, Stored Power and 7 status moves :p It's pretty weak, though. Dies easily.

Yeah, I played someone yesterday in Joim's Lab without having read the thread. Basically, my response to playing unaware of the changes is summed up in one emote:
>_>

It was really fun though. My favorite moment was
They see me driving
Round town with the girl I love
And I'm like haikou

Also, I tried to Ice Beam a Victreebel, and the type was changed twice to something NVE. So I decided to click Scald, and it changed to a type that was SE. loled.

Really well done Joim. :>

This ladder is totally awesome, and new sprites just fit perfectly with it! It's amazing how many twist can happen with type-changing moves (a Missingno. was 4 times in a row immune to Sludge Bomb x.x)

Unfortunately I saved only two replays and one is broken lol here's the other

edit: here are some more, in the last I failed hard not saccing whimsicott and the type change to shadow ball didn't help either :C
(subdisable gengar/haunter is amazing in this meta!)

It's actually a lot of fun. I love all the beautiful poetry that goes with it. Complements the trolling/hax quite well

Also this quote:

"The foe's Tornadus said, "Yo mama so dumb, she thought Sylveon would be Light Type!"

Best damn taunt ever.

EDIT: Oh yeah, taunt was changed for all of PS. Forgot about that.

Arcticblast

Magolor, that's not actually part of Fool's Festival (although it might be in there too) - the sprites aren't the only thing different about Pokemon Showdown today!

Joim

Pixels matter
We are going to keep April's Fools' day's Taunt messages and sprites for this Seasonal :)

This tier is a great amount of fun, so completely random and insane... Missingno. can mess you up, Cradily just about walls everything in the tier and you can stockpile/curse forever. Infact, any boosting move is great here. Many people, including myself, are very reluctant to switch out their current pokemon.... Type changing moves happen so often you're sometimes better off just NOT using the normaly super effective move..... XD

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
This metagame is genious. But what it needs badly is... Spril fools sprites back :L Just for this tier, that would be awesome!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)