VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright now it's my turn: Is Scarf Politoed still any good in the current meta as an offensive threat? I know SpecsToad gets a lot of use from all kinds of players, but my particular team needs a bit more overall speed. Or is having one Pokemon with Thunder Wave enough to curb SpecsToad's speed issue?
Never really used Scarf Toad, but if I were to guess I'd say Thunder Wave/Icy Wind can make up for it. Especially with the numerous water pokemon who can learn it. Or Thunder Wave, which more than a few pokemon can learn.

One thing, that may or may not be good, which I just thought of is to have Fake Out, than Toed's Icy Wind on the same turn.

Seems like a troll question but is isn't, what should I eliminate for my in synergy in my team? Clamperl or craudaunt? Clamperl has incredible special attack and cradaunt has adaptability they both have crap defences but they have different defences so they will be mauled by most attacks.

It really depend on your team, but Clamperl is only useful if you manage to get TR succesfully. There are ton of ways to stop TR and your team need to be able to get it act together even outside TR.

Crawdaunt, albeit is lower defense, can maybe take a hit before it goes down and his main selling point (together with pokemons like guts heracross, Bug gem Escavalier and Bug Gem Quiver Volcarona) is the fest to take down /me Cresselia in one hit. While Clamperl barely miss the 2HKO.

Can someone outline the "Goodstuff" playstyle, please? We have trouble to define it.
This is just my opinion. To me "GoodStuff" is just the pokemon you see on nearly every team, such as Cresselia, Scizor, Hitmontop, Garchomp,etc. I feel that goodstuff alone does not require any strategy, despite the occasional Tailwind, but just prediction. This is because the pokemon on the team are usually just Speed and Atk/Sp. Atk.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This is just my opinion. To me "GoodStuff" is just the pokemon you see on nearly every team, such as Cresselia, Scizor, Hitmontop, Garchomp,etc. I feel that goodstuff alone does not require any strategy, despite the occasional Tailwind, but just prediction. This is because the pokemon on the team are usually just Speed and Atk/Sp. Atk.
I really have to disagree with this. Goodstuff requires just as much strategy as any other team style - what I would say is that it doesn't require any specific strategy. It doesn't rely on setting up a field effect, or any particular Pokémon on the team, but rather focuses entirely on taking advantage of synergy between the Pokémon.

And I'm not sure how you can classify it as "just Speed and Atk/Sp. Atk" when only one of the four Pokémon you mentioned typically matches that description (and I've even seen occasional bulky Garchomp sets). Bulky attackers with a support mon or two are typically much more effective than a bunch of glass cannons (plus you don't auto-lose to TR that way).

Thanks. We still cannot grasp its form but that may be one if its characteristics. It sounds a bit like a balanced playstyle, probably similar in the concept of single balanced.

I didn't register my BW2 game card, or my BW game card on the global link yet, but I do have an account. I try to sign-up for the international challenge, but it says that there are no tournaments available for me to sign-up for. Is it because the cap space is filled, or because I didn't register my game card(s)?

You need to register at least one game to participate in the tournaments held over nintedo Wi-Fi, in this case it need to be a BW2 game card because the tourney is BW2 exclusive.

Since last year there haven't any tournament available for BW games.

(not just the tours, also to receive promotionals C-Gear skins, musicals, promotional pokemons and berries)

You need to register at least one game to participate in the tournamenst held over nintedo Wi-Fi, in this case it need to be a BW2 game card because the tourney is BW2 exclusive.

Since last year there haven't any tournament available for for BW games.

(not just the tours, also to receive promotionals C-Gear skins, musicals, promotional pokemons and berrys)
Thanks, I'll register my bw2 card then.

Well afaik goodstuffs was originally a phenomenon from 2009 Japan VGC regionals where people were placing high with teams consisting of strong, bulky Pokemon, as opposed to teams strictly dependent on Rain Dance or Trick Room. An example was Latios/Metagross/Gyarados/Snorlax, which itself topped at several regionals, but later that archetype expanded to include stuff like Cresselia and Zapdos (aided by the fact that gen 4 RNG abuse was discovered and put to use about that time).

The definition has become REAAAAAAALLY warped in the west since then though.

Yep, the way I think about "goodstuffs" is that, rather than relying on a field effect, weather, or some more specific strategy, the strength in goodstuffs lies in the overall strength in all of the Pokemon. Essentially, if you use good Pokemon that work well together, you'll win. Interestingly, my idea of goodstuffs sometimes includes weathers. I fundamentally think of myself as a goodstuffs player, but some might call the team I brought to Houston regionals, Suicune / Virizion / Cresselia / Zapdos / Tyranitar / Excadrill, a weather team due to the sand component, but fundamentally I don't believe this is the case. The main strength of this team came from the fact that Excadrill was the only Pokemon on the team with a BST of less than 580, so thanks to tight defensive synergy and well-rounded, overall high stats, I was able to outlast my opponent and withstand complex strategies. Excadrill was not the kind of frail, sandstorm sweeper that I think most people think of it as- I used a bulkier set, more focused on providing much needed speed while also providing several key resistances the team lacked, like another dragon switch in.

In common speech, goodstuffs simply refers to weatherless teams, but a more complex and, in my opinion, complete definition would include the fact that in order to effectively execute goodstuffs, since you aren't using Swift Swim, Sand Rush, Trick Room, Swagger, Screech, Skill Swap, etc. you have to rely on the inherent good-ness of your Pokemon. Now, some goodstuffs team may have auxilliary strategies, such as a TR mode with Cresselia and Escavalier or a Skill Swap Cresselia + Heatran option, but fundamentally the strength of these teams lies not in abusing these strategies, but in abusing the inherent goodness of good Pokemon. Good Pokemon might be AMPLIFIED by being skill swapped an advantageous ability, but this is not the primary goal of the team.

That's probably more than you wanted, so tl;dr: goodstuffs really just refers to weatherless teams and is a catch-all term to refer to teams that do not over-rely on any one strategy. In order to have a good goodstuffs team, you have to actually use good Pokemon.

Chessmaster56

Banned deucer.
Ummm....hi, for the international challenge march, which is almost exactly like VGC except through wifi, I can't decide who I should partner hitmontop with. My team consists of latios, terrakion, rotom w, thundurus and ferrothorn. Thank you in advance!

My Naive Latios (from GTS since I cannot catch my own...) was OHKOd by a Cresselia's Ice Beam. Is there a more offensive Cress set going around the Doubles environment, or did I just experience the consequences of Naive?

I saved the battle, just checked and realized I missed the Fake Out damage that made up for that amount. Thanks for being thorough and calculating it!
In the future I'll make sure to pay more attention before I ask a question.

'Sup guys. Got a pretty important question here. Lately I've been generating Pokemon via the online Pokesav and sending them over GTS to my games. I build them to perfectly legal specifications and only give them the amount of 31's that I know I can breed myself via past experience (usually 3). I roll the remaining stats via an online dice roller.

I do this because my free time is at an all time minimum lately, but anyway, my question is this - I want to enter the VGC coming up. Provided I build these Pokemon to perfect specifications, will they pass the checks?

'Sup guys. Got a pretty important question here. Lately I've been generating Pokemon via the online Pokesav and sending them over GTS to my games. I build them to perfectly legal specifications and only give them the amount of 31's that I know I can breed myself via past experience (usually 3). I roll the remaining stats via an online dice roller.

I do this because my free time is at an all time minimum lately, but anyway, my question is this - I want to enter the VGC coming up. Provided I build these Pokemon to perfect specifications, will they pass the checks?
Not likely - they will check your PID, trash bytes, etc. and you will get disqualified if you have any hacked pokemon - even if they may look legal.
Just use the links in this thread if you can't be bothered breeding your own pokemon: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3460642

Not likely - they will check your PID, trash bytes, etc. and you will get disqualified if you have any hacked pokemon - even if they may look legal.
Just use the links in this thread if you can't be bothered breeding your own pokemon: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3460642
Understood, thanks for the info. I assume they don't check as thoroughly bringing these Pokemon online, huh? Because I can get any of these onto the Wifi.

Hello! I'm looking forward to heading to the spring regionals in my area in a few weeks, but I have a few questions that I can't seem to find on the site or under the rules and guidlines post on these forums.

What time (EST) does the tournament start? Or rather, what time should I be there to avoid a long wait in line or such?

I don't know if this is allowed considering talking about hacks isn't allowed, but what is the hack checking progress like and what is the procedure? I'm just curious if it would be like the procedure for random matchup or if they scan your game card or what. Nobody ever talks about it so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)