OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

Co-written by kd24 and Birkal. Artwork by namh.

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (OU)

If you're thinking of making a topic that can be answered with one post, please post it here instead. New threads should be for discussion! Please note that all questions here are for OU-related questions. If you have a question about Pokemon in general, ask it in the Global SQSA thread.

When posting in this thread, follow the following guidelines:

1. Your answers should contain at least a brief explanation, even if it was the simplest of questions.
  2. While answering Yes/No question, please quote the question you're referring to. It gets confusing otherwise.
  3. At least do a simple google search before asking the question here.
  4. Do not ask for Action Replay or other external device codes. Use Google for that.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What damage calculator should I use?

A: It's on the front page of the site, silly. Here it is! Use this one if that's broken.​

---

Q: Where can I get an idea of Speed tiers?

A: Here. It's a little outdated because it doesn't include BW2 Pokemon, but the tiers are generally the same.​

---

Q: Why have people been running 0 Atk IVs on their Pokémon?

A: It minimizes confusion and Foul Play damage at no cost for Pokemon that aren't using physical attacks.​

---

Q: How can I be allowed to vote in suspect tests?

A: The council will pretty much always post a thread if a new council has been decided. Instructions on how to vote and play a part in the suspect process will be posted there. OU Council includes Aldaron, Haunter, JabbaTheGriffin, Bloo, and Iconic.​

---

Q: What's a check? Why is that different from a counter?

A: When competitive players talk about checks, they're referring to Pokemon that have a favorable advantage against another Pokemon, but that it likely can't always switch in. A counter is pretty much a certain answer to a specific Pokemon. These terms are thrown around a lot but it's important to note that a well-built team will inherently hold checks and counters to most Pokemon. These terms usually come up when discussing how to stop great sweepers or in reference to suspects.​

---

Q: How does Torment work vs Outrage?

A: Torment has no effect on moves like Outrage. The best way to check a move's interactions with other moves is to click on its Smogon page here.​

---

Q: How do I determine likelihood of events in Pokemon like finding the odds of two Focus Blast hitting in a row?

A: Just multiply the percentage of the event happening by itself however many times you're looking for it to happen. As for your question, 49%. Yeah, Focus Blast is pretty bad!​

---

Q: I found an error with an analysis, article, rule page, etc. What do I do?

A: You can check out the Small Subjective Changes and throw your idea there. Otherwise, just drop a PM to any moderator and they'll handle it.​

---

Q: Can Air Balloon be saved by a Substitute?

A: No. It will be popped if the user is hit. Use this to read about item's interactives with common moves.​

---

Q: Why do people call the current metagame BW OU? Shouldn't it be B2W2 OU?

A: Aesthetically, BW OU looks better but refers to the Black 2 White 2 OU unless stated otherwise.​

---

Q: Leftovers or Black Sludge on Poison-types?

A: There was actually a thread recently discussing why Black Sludge is better (read it here). It's been an old misconception that Leftovers was better which just isn't true.​

---

Q: Why do quotes say I'm fat? I'm not fat!

A: It's how quoting was implemented on the forums. No need to get so defensive.​

---

Q: Is Outrage boosted by Sheer Force?

A: Nope! You can find a list of moves boosted by Sheer Force here and here

---

Q: Where do I play competitive online Pokemon?

A: Pokemon Showdown! uses the official Smogon tiers.​

---

Q: Can you guys check out my team, replay, etc?

A: The RMT forum is one of our most active forums and you can expect a few rates. This thread would be better suited for you asking for advice against a certain Pokemon or moveset you're struggling with. As far as replays go, it's something we'd want to set up in the future.​

---

Q: Why do we ban entire Pokemon to Ubers rather than the trait that makes them broken? Unbanning Excadrill and Blaziken seems fair.

A: Right now, Smogon does not support complex bans. The argument is that almost any banned Pokemon can be broken up into "parts that make it Uber" and could subsequently be unbanned by banning those traits. Instead of entering this argument, it's easier to just ban a Pokemon if it is banworthy.​

---

Q: How is Gen 6 going to affect Smogon?

A: We really just don't know yet. If you have any new information regarding Gen 6, post it in the discussion thread here.​

---

Q: What is a Life Orb number?

A: Any Pokemon holding a Life Orb should be running an HP stat that is not divisible by 10. This allows them to use 11 attacks with Life Orb assuming no other damage is taken.​

---

Q: How do I EV correctly?

A: Even though EVs can really be used in any way that you feel best, don't short yourself on stat boosts. Selecting a nature that boosts a stronger stat will boost it by more stat points (nature boosts are always a 10% increase). Rather than wasting a nature and only 60 EVs on a lower stat, you can boost a higher stat with your nature and then invest even more EVs into the lower stat. This makes more sense just by playing around with EVs.​

---

Q: I think Rest is glitched? I stayed asleep for 10 turns!

A: You probably switched out. Sleep has changed in 5th gen completely. While the maximum amount of turns to sleep is now just 3, switching out and then switching back in will reset the sleep counter. This means that a Pokemon could theoretically sleep forever if the user kept switching it out. Rest is no exception. You can read more about Sleep and other status mechanics here.​

---

Q: If I share a replay on PS, how long will it save?

A: As of this time, replays won't expire... ever!​

---

Q: Are OU ladders reset after a Suspect Test is over?

A: No.​

---

Q: How much is a +1 stat boost?

A: It's a 1.5x raise to the stat. You can find a full detailing of stat boosts here.​

Previous SQSA Threads

[box]The first SQSA thread can be found here.

The second can be found here.

The third can be found here.

The fourth is here.

The very brief fifth one is here.

The much longer sixth is here.

The seventh one is here.[/box]

As a final note, thanks to those of you who help out in this thread and answer lots of questions. The OU staff appreciates your work. Keep on keeping on!

Not sure if this is necessary, but just a quick edit to the "LO numbers" description. Because LO damage rounds down, having it divisible by 10 is least efficient. Conversely, an HP number ending in a 9 is most efficient--this is what LO numbers usually mean.

Also, wonder if maybe something should be added about the ambiguity of "check" and "counter"?

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Can something be added about leftovers numbers? Life orb numbers are there but not leftovers, and I feel leftovers numbers are much more common. There is also a bit of dispute about what a leftovers number actually is, be it divisible by 16 or 16 +1.

I know Drizzle and Swift Swim is banned in OU and Drought and Chlorophyll isn't. Why is that? Aren't they essentially the same thing?

It's the same thing, but the only useful Chlorophyll user on OU back at the time was Venusaur, and Swift Swim was broken because not only gave the user a 50% boost to it's STAB attacks, but it also made the metagame very, very cetralized to the point were you could make a team consisting of Politoed and a bunch of five Swift Swimmers and have a great team.

Also, all of the pokes that get Chlorophyll are Grass-Type, and you have to rely on Hidden Power to gain another STAB on Sun.

TGMD

ƧÏÐÈ¥¯ÏĈ¼Á°¿±³´µ¶·¸¹º»ŤûŠť²ØéŋŌ
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I know Drizzle and Swift Swim is banned in OU and Drought and Chlorophyll isn't. Why is that? Aren't they essentially the same thing?
The primary reason for this is that the majority of Swift Swimmers are Water type, meaning they get both their speed doubled and their STAB move boosted, which was just too broken. With Chlorophyll users on the other hand, they're all Grass type, meaning their STAB gets no boost, making them easier to handle.
EDIT: ninjas a_a

GatoDelFuego

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not only did swift swimmers recieve a STAB bonus, but no type could resist the combo of Kingdra, Kabutops, and Ludicolo. It was capable of breaking almost any team with only three swift swimmers and politoed support, leaving two more team members to do whatever the user wanted. It was mostly these three that pushed swift swim from broken to outrageously broken.

In my experience the main time when ladders are reset is when there's a major tiering shift. However, I think there may have been some kind of change in the protocol so that only suspect ladders are being reset each time a new round of suspecting occurs. In this case, the standard OU ladder should probably not get reset unless something like a new release comes up.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Trying to get back into OU after a long hiatus, so could I ask a question?
In general, how do weather archetypes face against each other? More specifically, how do initial match-ups go for Rain, Sun, Sand, and Weatherless?

GatoDelFuego

iirc Rain offense > sand offense
rain offense > sun offense
rain stall < sand stall
rain stall < sun offense
sand offense > sun offense
sand stall > sun offense

Weatherless can go either way every time depending on counters, but weather defense teams have a bit of an advantage due to there not really being a "counter" for them
That's from what I can remember and it seems that that would work out, but I am not an expert exactly in weather wars.

This might be a can-o-worms question instead of a "simple question", but in case someone's good at being really concise, I'll give a go. :toast:

Why are there more banned pokes than viable OU pokes?

Does the fact that I think this is odd mean I should get an appointment with a psychiatrist?

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why are there more banned pokes than viable OU pokes?

Does the fact that I think this is odd mean I should get an appointment with a psychiatrist?
There aren't...unless you count all of the Arceus forms, there are more OU Pokémon than Ubers by a lot. I'm not really sure what you're asking, or why you're asking it. No there are not more banned Pokémon than OU Pokémon.

The simple follow-up is, has anyone thought of radically reshifting the tier system to incorporate ubers into OU?

Like is that a thing that TPTB at Smogon are considering?

BurningMan

fueled by beer
The simple follow-up is, has anyone thought of radically reshifting the tier system to incorporate ubers into OU?

Like is that a thing that TPTB at Smogon are considering?
It was considered at the start of BW to start out with nothing banned, but it was decided to leave all coverlegends in Ubers. I think too many people right now are opposed to the idea even though many would acknowledge that Ubers is a "balanced" metagame.

the onsite moveset for brontzong recommends hp ice with 0 speed iv. what are the other ivs - all 31? - and how significant is the power drop with this suboptimal hp (i think it's 66?)? is it better to sacrifice any other ivs for a hp ice 70?

What is the flinch rate for serene grace kings rock beatup with 6 party members. And yes kings rock is affected by serene grace.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

TGMD

ƧÏÐÈ¥¯ÏĈ¼Á°¿±³´µ¶·¸¹º»ŤûŠť²ØéŋŌ
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
the onsite moveset for brontzong recommends hp ice with 0 speed iv. what are the other ivs - all 31? - and how significant is the power drop with this suboptimal hp (i think it's 66?)? is it better to sacrifice any other ivs for a hp ice 70?
An iv spread of 31/31/31/31/31/0 will give you the best possible Bronzong with a 70 BP HP Ice.
EDIT: Errrr gdi I knew that too a_a

What is the flinch rate for serene grace kings rock beatup with 6 party members. And yes kings rock is affected by serene grace.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Kings Rock isn't affected by Serene Grace (Edit: from what I can tell, though this could just be not giving 100% of possible information). From Veekun:

Serene Grace Description said:
This Pokémon's moves have twice their usual effect chance.

An effect chance is a move's chance to inflict a status ailment, cause a stat change, or make the target flinch in addition to the move's main effect. For example, Flamethrower's chance of burning the target is doubled, but Protect's chance of success and Air Cutter's increased critical hit rate are unaffected.

Secret Power is unaffected.
As a result, Kings Rock Beat Up is going to work the same with or without Serene Grace, having a 100*(1 - (1 - .10)^6) = 46.86% chance to flinch.

Edit: However, if I'm wrong, and King's Rock is affected by Serene Grace, that would give a 100*(1 - (1 - .20)^6) = 73.79% chance to flinch.

What is the point of running sun. It gets beat by every form of weather except rain stall. You are threatened by almost every major sweeper in the OU metagame. You are effectively running with only 4 pokes because ninetails is an extremely sub par poke and another slot goes away due to being forced into using a rapid spinner/ magic bouncer. Unlike other weathers, if you lose the weather war, you lose the battle so there are only 3 spots left for you to use any actual offensive pokes because Duggy takes up a spot, and because you other 3 pokes are so reliant on the weather.

The only points that I see that you do actually run sun offense is the chlorophyll sweepers, and the physical fires,which sand has the former, and rain has more variants of the latter. Please, someone give me a decent explanation on this because I'm sick of running Sun teams that are difficult to play with and get low win ratios. I know generally variants of using sun is best for very experienced players to run , but it seems like a wasted cause if normal players. (Like someone that has about a 1750 rating on showdown) can not run it effectively if it is reserved only for the best of the best players.

What is the point of running sun. It gets beat by every form of weather except rain stall. You are threatened by almost every major sweeper in the OU metagame. You are effectively running with only 4 pokes because ninetails is an extremely sub par poke and another slot goes away due to being forced into using a rapid spinner/ magic bouncer. Unlike other weathers, if you lose the weather war, you lose the battle so there are only 3 spots left for you to use any actual offensive pokes because Duggy takes up a spot, and because you other 3 pokes are so reliant on the weather.

The only points that I see that you do actually run sun offense is the chlorophyll sweepers, and the physical fires,which sand has the former, and rain has more variants of the latter. Please, someone give me a decent explanation on this because I'm sick of running Sun teams that are difficult to play with and get low win ratios. I know generally variants of using sun is best for very experienced players to run , but it seems like a wasted cause if normal players. (Like someone that has about a 1750 rating on showdown) can not run it effectively if it is reserved only for the best of the best players.
The thing is, sun and its abusers are actually extremely powerful, with only rain rivaling its dominance over weatherless (and rain has its SSers banned). Sun is a very hard playstyle to build, which, as you mentioned, is why it tends to be much more popular among high-level players than lower ones. This doesn't mean you can't succeed with sun, however. To start out with, why not try using an RMTed sun team? Something like this team might be a good place to start--it's proven its effectiveness, and should be fairly user-friendly.

One other thing to be aware of is that sun does not HAVE to have duggy, and does not HAVE to have a RSer / MBer. It's jsut that sun teams tend to benefit from these pokes especially due to ninetale's typing and the general build of sun teams, as well as the fact that sun teams really appreciate winning the weather war (losing it =/= losing the game, however). However, you could also try out something like sun stall, which, while very very hard to pull off, has the potential to match up well with most of the dominant team-styles. A generic sun stall team might look something like Tales / Chansey / Cress / Forry / Sabeleye / Heatran.

Finally, no one is forcing you to use sun! While it can be a very effective teamstyle, sun is absolutely a challenge to build, so dont force yourself to play it if you dont want to.

I have tried to use most of the highest rated, current sun teams that were RMT'ed but they are still in my opinion a huge pain in the ass to use. Any way the cookie crumbles, I still think in general, sun (offense or stall) is still the hardest play style. I think I'll take a break from using sun for a while, until I get better with this current OU metagame.

Unless of course one of you guys give me a better reason to use sun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)