move 2: Stealth Rock
move 3: X-Scissor
move 4: Stone Edge / Earthquake
item: Custap Berry
ability: Sturdy
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • custap berry lets you get sr and spikes all the time unless facing teravolt/moldbreaker/turboblaze
  • defeats starmie with custap berry
  • stone edge for 2ndary stab but EQ helps defat Tentacruel, terra, heatran etc. sun teams face some trouble but are checked by stone edge too so the choice is strange
  • Adamant is always preferd to deal the most damage as possible

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • 252 Spe for max speed potential and to outrun certain pokemon but bulk is more preferred
  • toxic for wearing down pokemon
  • hidden power fire to troll forretress
  • partners re set-up sweepers and hard hitters to abuse the entry hazards
  • more?

more soon just this is reserved lol

tehy

Banned deucer.
So I think the overview needs to discuss why i'd use this over Custap Skarmory and Forretress. Also, where are the EVs at? (And no Rock Wrecker.)

As I recall max attack can't OHKO 4/0 Starmie with X-scissor ever.

Rock wrecker sucks. Use stone edge.

Although this might sound odd, I think flail should be slashed somewhere. It gets 200 base power when crustle is at one HP and can 2HKO 4/252 blissey with full attack investment. It also hits stuff like breloom and keldeo harder than any of its coverage moves.

Custap Berry Forretress really outclasses this guy. Make sure to explain that custap berry killing Starmie and Tenta as it's main niche as well as it's situationaly better resistances

Rock wrecker sucks. Use stone edge.

Although this might sound odd, I think fail should be slashed somewhere. It gets 200 base power when crustle is at one HP and can 2HKO 4/252 blissey with full attack investment. It also hits stuff like breloom and keldeo harder than any of its coverage moves.
lol fail

I agree that it's outclassed Forretress, with the only advantage that Crustle has is it's offensive prescence (Custap Forretress doesn't run Gyro Ball, does it?).

Also, I'm not sure what tehy is talking about.

252Atk Crustle (+Atk) X-Scissor vs 4HP/0Def Starmie (Neutral): 101% - 119% (266 - 314 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.

You must have meant max HP Starmie.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Actually, I saw a calc somewhere that showed that it didn't, although it may not have been adamant, or just a calc mistake

Custap Berry Forretress really outclasses this guy. Make sure to explain that custap berry killing Starmie and Tenta as it's main niche as well as it's situationaly better resistances
That's not all. Crustle possesses more offensive presence than Forretress due to better STAB. Thund-T, Salamence, Tyranitar, Latias, Volcarona, Heatran, etc can't carelessly switch into it; Crustle also does noteworthy damage to Rotom-W and can at least scratch Scizor with SE. It would be much better (IMO) to mention that Forretress has Explosion and Volt Switch to almost always bring its teammates in unscathed (or prevent the use of Rapid Spin from opposing Forry!), whereas Crustle has to be wary of setup sweepers that can crush offensive teams after a couple of boosts. Anyway, onto the set itself; Toxic is AC material, IMO. Poisoning fatties like Hippowdon is nice, but taking into consideration that Crustle is likely to leave at least SR + one layer of spikes on the opposing side, offensive teams should be able to plow right through them. That said, Crustle needs Earthquake so Terrakion doesn't do naughty things to it; Ensuring that Heatran nor Jirachi can Sub in Crustle's face is also pretty nice, but Terrakion is overall much more threatening. IMO, it should look more like this:

[SET]
name: Custap Berry
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Spikes
move 3: X-Scissor / Earthquake
move 4: Stone Edge / Earthquake
item: Custap Berry
- Don't need to comment on Rock Wrecker, since you should be able to figure out why it's so bad

(also Crustle doesn't beat Tenta with Custap EQ wtf)

Although this might sound odd, I think flail should be slashed somewhere. It gets 200 base power when crustle is at one HP and can 2HKO 4/252 blissey with full attack investment. It also hits stuff like breloom and keldeo harder than any of its coverage moves.
The opposing player won't always activate Sturdy in order to neutralize or take out Crustle. Flail has the potential to be a completely wasted moveslot; it's far too unreliable to get a slash.

I was listening to music so I was stupid and added Rock Wrecker. I added a bunch of stuff well kind of. I am pretty busy so expect me not to be online till the weekend.

Gimmick

Electric potential
I think it'd be a good idea to use a Lonely nature and 0 IVs of HP, Def, and SDef so that more moves put you down to Custap range rather than 2HKO. For example, with Lonely + 0 Def IVs, unboosted Jolly Terrakion's CC does 80.8% - 95.2%, which activates Custap next turn. Then again, there are times when non-defense-lowered Crustle is 3HKO'd and you end up getting an extra layer of hazards (like 0 Atk TTar's Crunch: 33.1% - 38.79% (3-4 hits to KO)). I guess it depends on consistency of leads and how much damage they do to Crustle, but I feel like lower defenses is more consistent.

Agreed, for sure. However it is a bit situational.

Also, slash Rock Blast with Stone Edge due to better accuracy and breaking sashes/Substitutes.

However, if Rock Wrecker gets very notable KOs that Stone Edge does not, you could set up hazards until in the Custap Berry range, fire off a Rock Wrecker, and then die the next turn. You're then 5-5 with hazards.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I hope this is NOT all you have, Cygnis.

Mention that EQ is useful versus Terrakion, too, not just Tentacruel

X-Scissor and Stone Edge are both STAB moves that destroys magic bouncers, Espeon & Xatu, so take note of that as well.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
this analysis is painfully scant in terms of overall set commentary. you need to get this thing up to par if you're wanting qc approval. also, explain to me why 252 hp is preferred over 252 speed. i always ran max attack and max speed on my crustle, and it worked out great. against smart opponents that will try to prevent the activation of your custap berry, it often means the difference between only 1 layer and 2 layers of hazards. example: crustle vs bulky politoed. turn 1, you rocks as they ice beam, knocking out sturdy but not putting you anywhere near custap range. turn 2, you spikes as they scald for the ko. if you're slower than that politoed, you're only getting 1 layer of hazards, but the extra speed evs net you two. unless you can actually show me relevant calcs proving that the 252 hp evs are necessary, i'm going to advise that you change the recommend ev spread to max attack and max speed.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Please maximize the Speed as there is absolutely little specific reason to boost Crustle's bulk with the existence of Custap Berry.

in addition to what lavos and accidentalgreed said about the ev spread, i'd also like to see [a mention of] gimmick's 0 hp/def/sdef idea in order to activate custap easier

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)