5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

Again, wording time is a bit difficult. Starting the game looks like this when we do it:

Press A
Screen fades
Little snapping sound (DS lite)
Nintendo logo fades in, slowly (for us)

When do you accidentally press A? We can attest that accidentaly pressing it before the snapping sound is not a keypress.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Again, wording time is a bit difficult. Starting the game looks like this when we do it:

Press A
Screen fades
Little snapping sound (DS lite)
Nintendo logo fades in, slowly (for us)

When do you accidentally press A? We can attest that accidentaly pressing it before the snapping sound is not a keypress.
I accidentally pressed it before the Nintendo logo faded in (I'm using a DSi, so there's no snapping sound). Seems it doesn't count as a keypress, then. Thank you!

Easy; there is one randomly moving NPC in this area who might shift your initial PID frame. You can eliminate this by battling this NPC and it last as long as you stay on the map.
In order to engage combat with Lati@s you need to take a step but since it is on an area free of wild Pokemon it will not advance your PID frame.

One more question, I've found my timer0s for my 3DS & W2, whats the gap between the fluctuations? I've got two numbers (167B & 167E) is it gonna be larger than that?

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
One more question, I've found my timer0s for my 3DS & W2, whats the gap between the fluctuations? I've got two numbers (167B & 167E) is it gonna be larger than that?
You're going to find more numbers than that, including most if not all of the ones in between those two. You should probably calibrate 10+ times (or more if there isn't a clear pattern) to see which numbers are the most common.

Thanks!

Sorry to keep asking questions that have been asked a thousand times and likely found in here, but is the VCount supposed to fluctuate too?

Nah, this thread is for asking questions. Not to do this would defeat its purpose.

No, the VCount is constant. When you get multiple results while calibrating the one with the VCount with matches your previous results are correct.

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
Thanks!

Sorry to keep asking questions that have been asked a thousand times and likely found in here, but is the VCount supposed to fluctuate too?
No, the VCount is constant. When you get multiple results while calibrating the one with the VCount with matches your previous results are correct.
VCount can fluctuate on a DSi or 3DS in Black 2 / White 2. I've only heard of it changing between two different (and adjacent) values, though (for example, AC and AD), and not a wide range like Timer0.

So I decided to go a little easier on myself and try to RNG a shiny Cobalion. I can't figure out my starting frame. I tried it and got exactly the correct one and tried again to if it was accurate. My initial starting frame was 57 but then the next time it was apparently 65, so I tried it once more and this time it was at 70!

I'm trying to do this in White 2 and I'm using a DS Lite. Can't figure out what's going wrong but I'm a little bummed since I finally understand how this RNG thing works. Any help on what to do? I only have one key press, which is Start, and I let go at the Game Freak logo, then mash A to engage battle with Cobalion. I'm making sure I'm starting one second early as well. Each Cobalion also seems to have different IVs, not sure if that makes a difference.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
So I decided to go a little easier on myself and try to RNG a shiny Cobalion. I can't figure out my starting frame. I tried it and got exactly the correct one and tried again to if it was accurate. My initial starting frame was 57 but then the next time it was apparently 65, so I tried it once more and this time it was at 70!

I'm trying to do this in White 2 and I'm using a DS Lite. Can't figure out what's going wrong but I'm a little bummed since I finally understand how this RNG thing works. Any help on what to do? I only have one key press, which is Start, and I let go at the Game Freak logo, then mash A to engage battle with Cobalion. I'm making sure I'm starting one second early as well. Each Cobalion also seems to have different IVs, not sure if that makes a difference.
If it doesn't have the right IVs, then you didn't hit the right seed and that apparent starting frame doesn't mean anything. Only count the attempts that match the IVs you want (and make sure that you had Time Finder set to frame 1 and IVs (standard seed) method).

If it doesn't have the right IVs, then you didn't hit the right seed and that apparent starting frame doesn't mean anything. Only count the attempts that match the IVs you want (and make sure that you had Time Finder set to frame 1 and IVs (standard seed) method).
Why would it be Standard Seed instead of PIDRNG?

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
Why would it be Standard Seed instead of PIDRNG?
PIDRNG doesn't let you search for IVs. With IVs (standard seed) you can also search for a shiny frame by checking the nearby shiny box. The only reason to use PIDRNG in Time Finder is if you don't care about IVs for whatever reason.

PIDRNG doesn't let you search for IVs. With IVs (standard seed) you can also search for a shiny frame by checking the nearby shiny box. The only reason to use PIDRNG in Time Finder is if you don't care about IVs for whatever reason.
Alright, didn't know that. When I take the seed and paste it in the RNG Reporter window, it doesn't give me a way to find my starting frame. Then when I looked at the adjacent window my target frame's IVs were at 254 instead of 252 like the time finder window said it would be. The time finder window did say the shiny frame was 54 though.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
Alright, didn't know that. When I take the seed and paste it in the RNG Reporter window, it doesn't give me a way to find my starting frame. Then when I looked at the adjacent window my target frame's IVs were at 254 instead of 252 like the time finder window said it would be. The time finder window did say the shiny frame was 54 though.
You always want to use IV frame 1, no exceptions (ok, there are exceptions, but only in cases where you have to walk like shaking spots, and you shouldn't bother with any of that while you're still learning the basics). You'll have to spend more time searching, but it'll make your life a lot easier.

To find your starting frame, put your seed into the main window (this time you'll use Gen 5 PIDRNG for the method) and click Calculate Initial PIDRNG Frame. As for why the IV frame was off, it's because the IVRNG actually starts on frame 3 but everything except the adjacent seed tool changes that to 1 to make it easier to work with.

You always want to use IV frame 1, no exceptions (ok, there are exceptions, but only in cases where you have to walk like shaking spots, and you shouldn't bother with any of that while you're still learning the basics). You'll have to spend more time searching, but it'll make your life a lot easier.

To find your starting frame, put your seed into the main window (this time you'll use Gen 5 PIDRNG for the method) and click Calculate Initial PIDRNG Frame. As for why the IV frame was off, it's because the IVRNG actually starts on frame 3 but everything except the adjacent seed tool changes that to 1 to make it easier to work with.
So I'll choose the nature I want, then select to look for nearby shiny frames, and set the min and max frame to 1 in the time finder? Then take that seed and put it in the main reporter window, this time using PIDRNG, and make sure that I choose shiny only?

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
So I'll choose the nature I want, then select to look for nearby shiny frames, and set the min and max frame to 1 in the time finder? Then take that seed and put it in the main reporter window, this time using PIDRNG, and make sure that I choose shiny only?
Right (set the max shiny frame higher than 1, though, to however many Chatters you're willing to do). Don't check shiny only in the main window, because you want to be able to see all the frames. Just the things that would affect your results, e.g. Synchronize.

Okay I'm right on the verge of getting this. I set the Synchronize window to Impish and everything matched up with what was found in the Time Finder. My question now is how do I figure out my starting frame since my lead Pokemon has Synchronize (keep in mind it's for a stationary Pokemon)? Do I just use the adjacent seed tool without setting the lead ability to Synchronize?

Edit: I just checked my starting frame twice in a row and got 57 both times because the Cobalion had a Lax nature and was "Proud of its power." However, the second time I tried advancing the frame once with a Chatot and nothing happened. I didn't hear its cry (I gave it a recorded Chatter). Any reason for that? I did make the Chatots with PokeGen since I don't have anywhere to get them in my games yet.

Edit: Now I don't think I'm hitting my seed again for some reason. I'm starting it just like I had before, with my 3 key presses and 1 second early. My last two Cobalions had different IVs I believe, since they didn't both say "Proud of its power". The IVs are supposed to be 31, 31, 31, 16, 31, 31. Not sure if that means that it would have a different phrase since 5 of them are equal and there isn't really a highest IV between them.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
"Proud of its power" means none of the IVs are 31 (the highest any of them can be for that characteristic is 30). As for why the IVs are off, BW2 has many different Timer0s so odds are you're not going to get the right one on your first try. You just have to keep trying until you get it.

Alright. I'll try to do it in White as well. I'm going to upload the photos of what I have, just to make sure everything is correct. Definitely appreciating the help you're giving me.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
Looks like you have everything set up right for the most part. I'd change the method in the Adjacent Seed tool to IVs instead, though, since it's only really useful for checking which Timer0 you hit.

Can you explain a little about how the Timer0 works? What does it mean if I'm hitting a different one?

Edit: For example, I'm trying to do this in White since you said it's easier to hit the Timer0 in it. I took your advice on the Adjacent Seed tool and apparently I've hit the C7E twice instead of C7F. What does that mean?

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
It terms of what you're doing, not much, just that you hit another Timer0. You can try altering your timing ever so slightly, but other than that, there isn't really anything you can do about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 13)