Sketch! (and its user)

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor

Smeargle has mediocre stats, extremely mediocre, in fact, and the change to gen 5 didn't help much either, since the only thing it got out of it, moody, is banned. (not counting the 200 or so moves (yes I don't want to count them)) None of this matters though, since smeargle's signature move, sketch, means it is THE most versatile pokemon. There is no question about it, he just is.
Even though this is the case, there are 10 or so common moves the smeargle uses:
Spore, on pretty much every set.
Stealth rocks
Spikes
Toxic spikes
Rapid spin (it happens)
Baton pass
Belly drum
Substitute
Other boosting moves, such as agility or swords dance.

However this thread is for the sets that are unique to that, the sets that can net kills with mediocre stats or can stall with paper-thin defenses. (You are forgiven for using spore, since it is just too good. Also using one of the moves in a different way of what it is meant for is good too!)

Scorpedestroyer's FEARgle (lol!)
Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Level: 1
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 0 everything
IVs: 0 everything
Sassy Nature
-Trick Room
-Endeavour
-Spore
-Dragon Rage

The plan is basically to Spore whatever that lacks Taunt or Lum Berry, followed by Trick Room on the switch. Usually they will just set up rocks turn one leaving you with an intact sash, allowing you to Endeavour whatever comes in, get your sash broken, followed by Dragon Rage to kill of their remaining HP. Now you have a few turns of TR left, and if the opponent doesn't switch in a ghost, it's pretty much a free Endeavour on something and you kill one and cripple two of the opponents.

For Taunt users, simply Endeavour turn one and Dragon Rage after that, and Smeargle takes down an opposing Pokemon, sometimes with an intact sash. If on a dedicated TR team, Smeargle can even switch out and come in later on with TR intact as a "revenge killer"

The only things this Smeargle can lose to are Substitute Ghosts, but the only common one is probably SubSplit Rotom.

Level 1 means that you outspeed pretty much everything in Trick Room as well as being able to Endeavour for amazing damage. The EV spread is nonexistent because a Level 1 Smeargle has nonexistent stats. Nature doesn't matter either, but I run Sassy because Smeargle is one sexy beast. Good teammates for Smeargle include those that can make use of any remaining Trick Room turns that Smeargle leaves behind, for example Escavalier and Aggron. This Feargle also works well on dedicated TR teams.

I will add all good sets to the OP, so... get posting!

Smeargle did get new things from Gen 5 other than Moody: Shift Gear, Tail Glow (not new but buffed), Quiver Dance

Whirlwind, Explosion, Memento and Magic Coat are also moves that it commonly uses to great effect, certainly more so than Belly Drum, Toxic Spikes or Substitute.

Honestly, I wouldn't really say that Smeargle is the most versatile Pokemon in the game, that title probably goes to Jirachi :s
It may have all the moves, but it can really only pull off two sets well: a suicide hazard lead and a baton pass set. So it's not really unpredicatable, as all sets are dealt with in the same way: Fake Out, Taunt, Substitute, Multi hit moves etc.

Molk also came up with the level 1 feargle lead a while back

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Smeargle did get new things from Gen 5 other than Moody: Shift Gear, Tail Glow (not new but buffed), Quiver Dance

Whirlwind, Explosion, Memento and Magic Coat are also moves that it commonly uses to great effect, certainly more so than Belly Drum, Toxic Spikes or Substitute.

Honestly, I wouldn't really say that Smeargle is the most versatile Pokemon in the game, that title probably goes to Jirachi :s
It may have all the moves, but it can really only pull off two sets well: a suicide hazard lead and a baton pass set. So it's not really unpredicatable, as all sets are dealt with in the same way: Fake Out, Taunt, Substitute, Multi hit moves etc.
It still has other things to go with though. For instance I'm trying this set:
Smeargle (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Mean Look
- Acid Spray
- Baton Pass

and on paper it would work - if smeargle has better defenses/speed that is.
In RU it can work, since smeargle does out-speed some of the common leads such as ferroseed and steelix, but then again they are steel type...
Either way though, being imaginative could bring some great new gimmicks to smeargle, and have your opponent go "wtf" when it sees charm smeargle.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I use a suicide lvl. 1 Trick Room lead Feargle to extremely great effect in UU and I'm thinking it could work in RU as well. It doesn't even need to be on a dedicated TR team and while it does early, it usually takes down 1 or 2 pokes with it and cripples another with sleep. It makes use of Sporing the lead early on, followed by using Trick Room and Endeavour, and then Dragon Rage. It surprises so many people until they remember to bring in their ghost, but by then the damage will be done.

Though admitedly, many people in RU are very prepared against Smeargle. In that case, I usually go straight for Endeavour to severely cripple any Taunt user and hopefully finish them off with Dragon Rage.

I didn't come up with this idea, props to whoever did.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm on my phone now so I can't export it, I'll post it according to memory

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Level: 1
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 0 everything
IVs: 0 everything
Sassy Nature
-Trick Room
-Endeavour
-Spore
-Dragon Rage

The plan is basically to Spore whatever that lacks Taunt or Lum Berry, followed by Trick Room on the switch. Usually they will just set up rocks turn one leaving you with an intact sash, allowing you to Endeavour whatever comes in, get your sash broken, followed by Dragon Rage to kill of their remaining HP. Now you have a few turns of TR left, and if the opponent doesn't switch in a ghost, it's pretty much a free Endeavour on something and you kill one and cripple two of the opponents.

For Taunt users, simply Endeavour turn one and Dragon Rage after that, and Smeargle takes down an opposing Pokemon, sometimes with an intact sash. If on a dedicated TR team, Smeargle can even switch out and come in later on with TR intact as a "revenge killer"

The only things this Smeargle can lose to are Substitute Ghosts, but the only common one is probably SubSplit Rotom.

Level 1 means that you outspeed pretty much everything in Trick Room as well as being able to Endeavour for amazing damage. The EV spread is nonexistent because a Level 1 Smeargle has nonexistent stats. Nature doesn't matter either, but I run Sassy because Smeargle is one sexy beast. Good teammates for Smeargle include those that can make use of any remaining Trick Room turns that Smeargle leaves behind, for example Escavalier and Aggron. This Feargle also works well on dedicated TR teams.

Edit: just realized the Smogon analysis had this set. Whoops.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)