OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Thick Club isn't a luck item (it doubles Marowak's attack), but otherwise you can use those. Brightpowder was unbanned a few months ago and Quick Claw has never been banned. The only item banned in OU is Soul Dew.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
asbdsp I think honkos "all vs one" damage calculator from the main page might just be the best for what you're looking for. That excel spreadsheet is old and very complex.

Lokt iirc none of the "trio" dw abilities are released, besides the therians, along with just the starters and chandelure for our dw Pokemon

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Rotom-W is suggested for taking out skarmory and bulky waters, from a resistances standpoint heatran sounds like it would work well in my head for taking out ferrothorn, and jolteon does both with volt absorb to boot; it just kind of sucks.

Generally anyth special attacker that can take out skarmory and water-types and compliments gyara's typing will work well.

for specs zone, what is the ideal iv spread for hp fire? 31/30/31/30/31/30? or 31/31/30//30/31/31? it doesn't say.

for specs zone, what is the ideal iv spread for hp fire? 31/30/31/30/31/30? or 31/31/30//30/31/31? it doesn't say.
31/31/30/30/31/31 is HP Grass, 31/2/31/30/31/30 is the opitmal spread for HP fire (70), and for minimum Foul play damage. Foul play isn't common but it don't hurt to lower it's power.

ah right, thank you guys. i guess i misread an iv spread given to me from a website.

here's something i am wondering though: why not run enough speed evs to outrun the specially defensive heatran set? specs thunderbolt can do min 45% assuming i used the damage calculator correctly, polishing off any fairly weakened tran.

TGMD

ƧÏÐÈ¥¯ÏĈ¼Á°¿±³´µ¶·¸¹º»ŤûŠť²ØéŋŌ
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ah right, thank you guys. i guess i misread an iv spread given to me from a website.

here's something i am wondering though: why not run enough speed evs to outrun the specially defensive heatran set? specs thunderbolt can do min 45% assuming i used the damage calculator correctly, polishing off any fairly weakened tran.
Go for it, you want to speed creep Skarmory with 32 speed EVs anyway, so invest 112 EVs in speed.

EDIT: Ugh, completely brain farted and misread Heatran's speed.

i think its 148 to outspeed neutral 8 ev tran? i'm surprised that's not the standard for specszone though.
That would be the correct Ev spread if you hade 31 Iv in speed, but hp fire demands that you run 30 Speed Iv so you need 152 Ev in speed now, otherwise you will have a speed tie with Heatran and that isn't recommended.

That would be the correct Ev spread if you hade 31 Iv in speed, but hp fire demands that you run 30 Speed Iv so you need 152 Ev in speed now, otherwise you will have a speed tie with Heatran and that isn't recommended.
of course. thanks.

asbdsp I think honkos "all vs one" damage calculator from the main page might just be the best for what you're looking for. That excel spreadsheet is old and very complex.

Lokt iirc none of the "trio" dw abilities are released, besides the therians, along with just the starters and chandelure for our dw Pokemon

Thx Gato, didn't really see that feature of the calc. Although that tool even of itself has a lot of info to parse through for any given moveset.

Has the competitive scene of Pokemon grown large enough that the Nintendo company is aware of competitive battlers such as us? Just wondering because I want to know if they even try to make new Pokemon with competitive means in mind...

Some things like Charizard Solar Power and Zen Mode Darmanitan make me wonder...

This might not be the best place to ask this, but is there a good guide out there for team building in OU?
OU Team Building - Throw together a team based on your preferences; IE, Hyper Offensive would mean many sweepers, Balanced would mean a few, Stall would mean little and lots of defensive/support, etc. This is an example of two well-built Balance teams in action, with a built-in guide

Has the competitive scene of Pokemon grown large enough that the Nintendo company is aware of competitive battlers such as us? Just wondering because I want to know if they even try to make new Pokemon with competitive means in mind...

Some things like Charizard Solar Power and Zen Mode Darmanitan make me wonder...
Yes, they are aware of the competitive community. A few employees even reference Smogon, and they have fan service for older audiences (IE the Short Skirt Disorder all female protags seem to have). They do need junk/joke mons, OP mons, and alternatives, because Pokemon isn't all competitive. Look at Politoed/Ninetales. Why would they implement such a powerful but hard to get ability on non-Ubers, just for single player? Not many SP teams are built for a specific weather. If they didn't think of us, they'd just go, "Kyogre and Groudon exist, done." For us, they could never be in OU.

That isn't to say they completely provide. We need a decent Air Lock mon, ASAP. Please Game Freak?

Hey guys.
it's been a while since I've played pokemon.
I would like to know about the metagame so far.
Balanced? Unbalanced? How's it going?
Last time I was on. Garchomp was still banned. Ha, so yeah.
It's been a while.
Would It really be too much to ask for to help me catch up? Thinking about getting into battling again. I miss it.
Mind helping me catch up?
I'm not asking for a huge post. Or a super in depth analysis of the metagame.
Just a brief summary, if you could do that for me.
Thanks.

LilOu

PO poopyhead
Ok, so these things happened:

1.- Garchomp was unbanned + Sand Veil and Snow Cloak banned.
2.- Tornadus-T was banned, Keldeo remains in OU.
3.- Deoxys-D was banned. Now people use Custap Skarmory (lol)
4.- Landorus-I (Life Orb + Sheer Force set) is a huge threat. Currently not a suspect, but probably will be. Check this thread for more info about this topic.

I don't know if this happened before or after Garchomp's retest, but Genesect was banned.

1.- Most powerful core: Banded Tyranitar + Keldeo + Landorus-I.
2.- The metagame focuses on weather, as usual.
3.- Weatherless works great too, but it needs a good teambuilding.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)