OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Multiple questions:
1. Can offensive teams without a stat booster work? What kind of problems will these teams encounter?
2. Can Intimidate Gyarados be used as a Mamoswine check?

LilOu

PO poopyhead
1.- Yes. It is completely possible. I don't think that there must be problems, just don't try to use things like non SD Luke, really, he can't sweep without boosts.

2.- Depending on the EV spread.

• 252Atk Life Orb -1 Mamoswine (+Atk) Icicle Crash vs 4HP/0Def Gyarados (Neutral): 48% - 57% (160 - 190 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO. 21% chance to 2HKO.
  • 252Atk Life Orb -1 Mamoswine (+Atk) Icicle Crash vs 248HP/252Def Leftovers Gyarados (+Def): 28% - 33% (111 - 132 HP). Guaranteed 4HKO.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Multiple questions:
1. Can offensive teams without a stat booster work? What kind of problems will these teams encounter?
Offensive team usually need a stat booster normaly someting like SD Lucario, RP Landorus-I, Trick Room Reuniclus (not really a stat booster, but still), Agility Thundurus-T, SD Scizor ,SD Breloom or a Dragon Dance user to do a late game sweep, without something like this you would have to late game clean with a Choice Scarf user like Terrakion, Keldeo or Moxie Salamence wich can sometimes be difficult because you can't switch moves (obviously you can also sweep a team without any of these things but it is the most reliable and easiest way).
Another problem could be stall teams that can be difficult to break apart without something that can boost its offensive stats to overpower any opposing wally good examples for this are CM Keldeo, SD Terrrakion, NP Thundurus-T or SD Haxorus. Anotherway to take apart defensive teams are Wallbreakers like Kyurem-B, Hydreigon or MixMence that can kill almost everything due to their sheer fore and excellent coverage however these pokemon generally struggle against offensive teams since they are pretty slow and usually won't net you more than one kill.

Overall i would strongly advise you to include some form of Stat booster for the reasons mentioned above an offensive team can work without one but thats a pretty rare occasion and in many matches you will miss the benefits that such a pokemon can bring to a team.

Ive been out of the pokemon world for a few months now. Is there anything significant thats happened since december? Like in terms of pokemon, smogon, and the ou metagame? All i know is up to the banning of torn t and the staying of keldeo.

Ive been out of the pokemon world for a few months now. Is there anything significant thats happened since december? Like in terms of pokemon, smogon, and the ou metagame? All i know is up to the banning of torn t and the staying of keldeo.
Ok, so these things happened:

1.- Garchomp was unbanned + Sand Veil and Snow Cloak banned.
2.- Tornadus-T was banned, Keldeo remains in OU.
3.- Deoxys-D was banned. Now people use Custap Skarmory (lol)
4.- Landorus-I (Life Orb + Sheer Force set) is a huge threat. Currently not a suspect, but probably will be. Check this thread for more info about this topic.

I don't know if this happened before or after Garchomp's retest, but Genesect was banned.

1.- Most powerful core: Banded Tyranitar + Keldeo + Landorus-I.
2.- The metagame focuses on weather, as usual.
3.- Weatherless works great too, but it needs a good teambuilding.
Plus Kyurem-B's unbanning.

What poke would you suggest using? Preferably a physical wall
Tangrowth or Amoonguss both work, depending on your opinion. Amoonguss for Spore is what I'd use, but Tangrowth works well. Don't let their low tiering trick you.

Any Attacker carrying HP Grass or Venusaur in Sun would also work.

Edit: Levitating Water resists and Skarmory also work for most Ground/Waters. Beware moves like HP Fire, though.

ganj4lF

Nobody is safe from the power of science!
is a Team Rater Alumnus
What can i use to deal with bulky Ground and Ground/Water Pokes? they have become a big problem for my team
What poke would you suggest using? Preferably a physical wall
I guess Ferrothorn can also be a very good solution, since most bulky Ground pokemons lack the ability to significantly hit it with their STAB and they will be in a very bad position thanks to either Leech Seed, hazard spam, or Power Whip KOing them outright.

I guess Ferrothorn can also be a very good solution, since most bulky Ground pokemons lack the ability to significantly hit it with their STAB and they will be in a very bad position thanks to either Leech Seed, hazard spam, or Power Whip KOing them outright.
Ferrothorn works, but has the problem of being x4 weak to HP Fire and similar moves. If you have a good Fire-type yourself, or another squad of Fire resists, then yes, he works.

Among the complaints about BW, I've heard a lot of people say that they wish Team Preview had never existed. I'm kinda curious, has there ever been an experiment at Smogon (through a tourney or such) that examined a potential metagame without Team Preview? If so, what were the results of that experiment? If not...well, that might be something interesting to try for research purposes.

is Jirachi ever going to be suspect tested? If not l'd like to hear why.

Why I ask about it? Because I believe Jirachi should at the very least be barred from being used on Rain Dance teams, since in the rain fire isn't going to kill it, and therefore only Ground can really damage it, but most ground pokemon can't get in against rain opponents easily.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
as of now, no one but the ou council members know whether or not jirachi will be suspect tested. although i agree that it's a pretty fierce metagame presence, i'd say the likelihood that it sees a test when we still have stuff like keldeo and landorus running around is pretty low.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
is Jirachi ever going to be suspect tested? If not l'd like to hear why.

Why I ask about it? Because I believe Jirachi should at the very least be barred from being used on Rain Dance teams, since in the rain fire isn't going to kill it, and therefore only Ground can really damage it, but most ground pokemon can't get in against rain opponents easily.
While it's true that Jirachi loses it's Fire weakness in the Rain, it also gains a weakness because of boosted Water type attacks.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
like what?
Well it's a pseudo-weakness, as rain boosts Water-type moves by only 1.5s, as opposed to normal weaknesses which are 2.0x. However, this means that Hydro Pumps, Surfs, Scalds, etc. will all hit Jirachi a noticeably bit harder.

I think that's what you're asking?

LilOu

PO poopyhead
While it's true that Jirachi loses it's Fire weakness in the Rain, it also gains a weakness because of boosted Water type attacks.
In rain, all Fire-type moves have their power decreased by 0.5x. In rain, all Water-type attacks have their power increased by 1.5x

Now, Flamethrower against a Jirachi in rain is like this: 95 x 2 x 0.5 = 92. And Surf: 95 x 1.5 = 142.5. If you are using Surf against a Magby without rain it would be: 95 x 2 = 190.

Therefore, Jirachi does not gain a weakness to water in rain.

Edit: ninja'd

Is there a 5th gen OU guide or something? I haven't battled in a long time, and I'm unfamiliar with the current metagame.

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
Among the complaints about BW, I've heard a lot of people say that they wish Team Preview had never existed. I'm kinda curious, has there ever been an experiment at Smogon (through a tourney or such) that examined a potential metagame without Team Preview? If so, what were the results of that experiment? If not...well, that might be something interesting to try for research purposes.
I think DW OU was essentially in early BW the OU without Team Preview and with several unreleased abilities. So technically I would see DW OU as a test in a way, but obviously with some differences. However that is the best meta to test how it would be without Team Preview. I gotta admit, back in BW1 the tier was pretty rapist, with people holding on to Excadrill to sweep late game, and that made it pretty tough to handle. You had to play very conservatively in order to not lose.

It may be a good idea to put 0 IVs on your sweepers non-attacking move type if that makes sense. I.E. Keldeo should have 0 Attack IVS to minimize confusion damage and foul play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)