Pokemon Adventures Manga Discussion

Tepig didn't leave white, she just had the bright idea to jump out of a moving ferris wheel and tepig didn't join her, N seemed like the more sane choice and it wasn't as if gigi was whites pokemon, just a slave to the musical
Yes it did go with him. It's seen battling with him when he defeats alder, and multiple other times.

So the english translations of the manga are totally fucked up in terms of publishing, I think at some point this year there's going to be 3 different arcs being updated at the same time (BW, HGSS, and RS) which really is going to be fun to keep track of. Right now I'm sitting on Round 456 (VS Arceus V) since there hasn't been an update on anything since January.

Haven't touched the BW manga at all since HGSS has yet to finish up. Right now Lance, Pryce, and Giovanni showed up to take down the Sinnoh legends and Arceus is still a cranky bastard.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So the english translations of the manga are totally fucked up in terms of publishing, I think at some point this year there's going to be 3 different arcs being updated at the same time (BW, HGSS, and RS) which really is going to be fun to keep track of. Right now I'm sitting on Round 456 (VS Arceus V) since there hasn't been an update on anything since January.

Haven't touched the BW manga at all since HGSS has yet to finish up. Right now Lance, Pryce, and Giovanni showed up to take down the Sinnoh legends and Arceus is still a cranky bastard.
I thought the RSE arc ended ?_? Also idk aren't they starting BW arc after HGSS Arceus fiasco etc and there already is a BW arc... Will be interesting to see how that works out!!

Also that Sird :o

edit: oh lol RSE arc was completely translated in Chuang Yi but not Viz Media :o

I thought the RSE arc ended ?_? Also idk aren't they starting BW arc after HGSS Arceus fiasco etc and there already is a BW arc... Will be interesting to see how that works out!!
I'm talking the english translations as hard copies. RS just started and DPP is finishing up this summer according to this.

EDIT: For some reason I still keep looking at this specific page

I only have the R/B chapters (it's like $60 for all 3) but I love them to bits. To me it captured the essence of Pokemon being about an adventure much more than the anime did (and I've watched every english episode :D).

Yellow was a bit weird but I did like how Lorelei's Dewgong and Closter did that Spike Cannon - Ice Beam combo. It kinda showed that they didn't stick 100% to the game's rules etc.

Once I get the next chapters (probably start with GSC) i'll be able to post more, I just wanted to do a 'OMFG I need to show my thoughts on this' post.

I only have the R/B chapters (it's like $60 for all 3) but I love them to bits. To me it captured the essence of Pokemon being about an adventure much more than the anime did (and I've watched every english episode :D).

Yellow was a bit weird but I did like how Lorelei's Dewgong and Closter did that Spike Cannon - Ice Beam combo. It kinda showed that they didn't stick 100% to the game's rules etc.

Once I get the next chapters (probably start with GSC) i'll be able to post more, I just wanted to do a 'OMFG I need to show my thoughts on this' post.
Yeah Red and Blue chapters really showed the purpose of the Manga being about an adventure. I like that it stayed somewhat true the game mechanics, but when it came down to the action showed that Manga/Anime physics are really awesome. Some people argue the later chapters lose that sense and favors more towards scenes like Yellow's climax, but I really like that there's constantly something developing in the manga whereas it could take 7-10 episodes in the anime for something actually pertinent to the plot happens (like catching a pokemon, or a gym / rival battle, or an important event that happens in the game).

Yeah Red and Blue chapters really showed the purpose of the Manga being about an adventure. I like that it stayed somewhat true the game mechanics, but when it came down to the action showed that Manga/Anime physics are really awesome. Some people argue the later chapters lose that sense and favors more towards scenes like Yellow's climax, but I really like that there's constantly something developing in the manga whereas it could take 7-10 episodes in the anime for something actually pertinent to the plot happens (like catching a pokemon, or a gym / rival battle, or an important event that happens in the game).
Things happen but the things that happen are just kind of stupid.
& I hate how it tries to play off things as checkov's guns when really it reads more like pulling things out of their ass.

Also the frustrating thing about the manga is that each arc starts out with roughly the same feel: A fun, if goofy, adventure through the region while following the game's framework.
And then it runs off the track for its own stupid plotlines involving powers and entirely reworked characters and awful climaxes and ugh
ugh

ughhhh

ALSO!
Comparing what the manga does to what the anime does, plot-wise, is dumb.
Of course the manga works on its plot. That's the entire point of the manga, it has distinct openings and endings. & it's a monthly/bi-monthly thing so it has to get what it can in a relatively quick manner
The anime, meanwhile, is first and foremost an advertising vehicle. It's aired every week often without interruption and each series needs to last until the next games come out. When they do actual plot they're usually very hyped and temporary affairs (I think the Galactic plot is the longest running one).

To put it another way the anime needs to run for hundreds of episodes that have to take ~25 minutes each so it HAS to stretch out "important" things without, uh, stretching them out (eg: instead of ~2 episodes for a gym it would maybe be like 6?).
Meanwhile any given manga arc takes like 90 total. They have to be bisque

Things happen but the things that happen are just kind of stupid.
& I hate how it tries to play off things as checkov's guns when really it reads more like pulling things out of their ass.

Also the frustrating thing about the manga is that each arc starts out with roughly the same feel: A fun, if goofy, adventure through the region while following the game's framework.
And then it runs off the track for its own stupid plotlines involving powers and entirely reworked characters and awful climaxes and ugh
ugh

ughhhh

ALSO!
Comparing what the manga does to what the anime does, plot-wise, is dumb.
Of course the manga works on its plot. That's the entire point of the manga, it has distinct openings and endings. & it's a monthly/bi-monthly thing so it has to get what it can in a relatively quick manner
The anime, meanwhile, is first and foremost an advertising vehicle. It's aired every week often without interruption and each series needs to last until the next games come out. When they do actual plot they're usually very hyped and temporary affairs (I think the Galactic plot is the longest running one).

To put it another way the anime needs to run for hundreds of episodes that have to take ~25 minutes each so it HAS to stretch out "important" things without, uh, stretching them out (eg: instead of ~2 episodes for a gym it would maybe be like 6?).
Meanwhile any given manga arc takes like 90 total. They have to be bisque
i like you.

anyway, i'll agree with these points, and also add my own. i thought the first arc was pretty cool; sure they changed characters, and it's rather annoying to have quiet, badass red turn into a general hero, but the characters themselves weren't that annoying, and were actually interesting on many occasions for me. i really liked female!green/blue in particular.

then we met yellow.

and it all went downhill.

yellow just seemed so unnecessary to me. she's not a real character, but i could let that go if her character wasn't so annoying, in my opinion. she's got that bella swan personality; she's quiet, supposedly shy, and her 'faults' are played as endearing. then they make it as a big deal that she's female. why? and can't they have figured it out by her voice? better question, why did she keep it hidden in the first place? was it thought that the boys would lose all sanity when they were around 11 year old vagina? (however old she was; clearly not very)

and the power. not only does it not really make sense, but it is so ridiculously powerful. talking to pokemon and healing them for as much as you want? you could beat mewtwo with a bloody level two spinarak if you wanted, with something like that.

finally - and this is just a pet peeve of mine that also exists with dawn, but on a lesser scale because i honestly don't mind dawn, as she's funny sometimes - SHE DOESN'T EVOLVE ANY OF HER FUCKING POKEMON. it's not that they don't want to - oh, no, at least dawn's piplup just didn't want to - BUT SHE STOPS THEM WITH HER POKEDEX TO KEEP THEM CUTE. ignoring that they might want to be stronger, ignoring that she's trying to save people so FOR THE GREATER GOOD they should be evolved, but that is like the most shallow thing ever. it's not like doing that to game pokemon. in the end, those are just pixels. yellow's pokemon would have FEELINGS and EMOTIONS just like most living things out there. that's such a shallow reason, too.

and didn't she power up her ~level 30 (being generous) pokemon to level 80 or so with her power during the lance fight?

Yes her powers are kind of op and ridiculous
Being born with special abilities, Yellow has demonstrated several as of the fifth chapter. Her abilities demonstrated include:
Limited telekinesis, enough to manipulate a Poké Ball on a string.
The ability to read the minds, emotions, and memories of Pokémon.
Healing abilities, thus far only used on Pokémon.
Able to "synchronize spirits" with her Pokémon to boost their levels into the mid 80s in times of need.

I thought it was more of to show that Red is just a completely dense ass. Then again, if you consider it, the only other person to figure it out was male!Green/Blue, since the female one already knew it from the start. Doesn't help that the GSC gang didn't realise that she was a girl until the forced reveal >.>"

Lance had the same power but never used it as well as she did, if yellow wanted to be she could have been the best but instead of her we end up with Emerald, how did the guy who didn't even own pokemon a day ago beat Red, Green, and Sapphire? I think both of the original characters were terrible, on the other hand the actual game characters were great, Red was an awesome hero in the original, Green became the best trainer ever (sorry "Blue") Blue (Green) the girl who wasn't even in the game had the greatest development of any of the original characters (Still loses to Gold, Silver, and Ruby though possibly Black haven't finished) catching all three of the legendary birds off screen not even tobias compares to her. The gsc characters were all amazing except Crystal, Ruby is probably the best character in the series seeing as his development is the most complete, Dia is probably the most inventive being the only character to make a move. Thankfully the manga went too slow to have time to create a third original character, all the characters they have now (except Crystal) are wonderful

I thought it was more of to show that Red is just a completely dense ass. Then again, if you consider it, the only other person to figure it out was male!Green/Blue, since the female one already knew it from the start. Doesn't help that the GSC gang didn't realise that she was a girl until the forced reveal >.>"
It was more to play off of Red's immaturity and general unawareness. To compare to other mangas Red is very similar to Goku in terms of 'train of thought.' Both are completely unaware of the obvious and really only show capable thought process when they're in a fight. It was primarily for the quick bits of humor like Gold's habit of forgetting important figures (Morty, Elite 4, and Prof. Oak to name a few).

I might need to rebrush on my GSC a little. but Yellow was only around the GSC dex holders for like 3 rounds when Lugia appeared. The only one who actually had a notable amount of time around Yellow before the reveal was Crystal, while Gold and Silver were only around her for maybe two tops. Silver never even talked to Yellow during that arc, and Gold only got to know her age before Lugia sent Yellow and Wilton flying. Crystal actually saw Yellow's (broken as hell) powers, and learned her mouthful of a name. But beyond that there wasn't a long enough interaction for her to put the clues together, and then Lugia happened.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

i like you.

anyway, i'll agree with these points, and also add my own. i thought the first arc was pretty cool; sure they changed characters, and it's rather annoying to have quiet, badass red turn into a general hero, but the characters themselves weren't that annoying, and were actually interesting on many occasions for me. i really liked female!green/blue in particular.

then we met yellow.

and it all went downhill.

yellow just seemed so unnecessary to me. she's not a real character, but i could let that go if her character wasn't so annoying, in my opinion. she's got that bella swan personality; she's quiet, supposedly shy, and her 'faults' are played as endearing. then they make it as a big deal that she's female. why? and can't they have figured it out by her voice? better question, why did she keep it hidden in the first place? was it thought that the boys would lose all sanity when they were around 11 year old vagina? (however old she was; clearly not very)

and the power. not only does it not really make sense, but it is so ridiculously powerful. talking to pokemon and healing them for as much as you want? you could beat mewtwo with a bloody level two spinarak if you wanted, with something like that.

finally - and this is just a pet peeve of mine that also exists with dawn, but on a lesser scale because i honestly don't mind dawn, as she's funny sometimes - SHE DOESN'T EVOLVE ANY OF HER FUCKING POKEMON. it's not that they don't want to - oh, no, at least dawn's piplup just didn't want to - BUT SHE STOPS THEM WITH HER POKEDEX TO KEEP THEM CUTE. ignoring that they might want to be stronger, ignoring that she's trying to save people so FOR THE GREATER GOOD they should be evolved, but that is like the most shallow thing ever. it's not like doing that to game pokemon. in the end, those are just pixels. yellow's pokemon would have FEELINGS and EMOTIONS just like most living things out there. that's such a shallow reason, too.

and didn't she power up her ~level 30 (being generous) pokemon to level 80 or so with her power during the lance fight?

[youtube]AjZuGas6yRQ[/youtube]
The point of Yellow was, in my opinion, to provide a foil, contrasting the prevalent attitudes of most of the characters who primarily served as battlers and introducing another perspective; the writers can't continue to put in main characters whose main drive is to battle and grow "stronger" since that's just dumb writing. She also drives a complete contrast from the previous arc; while Red bumbled his way through his battles with help of tactics, and, to an extent, strength to achieve his dream, what drives Yellow is her emotions and innocence, her desire to help others and her complete lack of skill of battling. Honestly, I think most people are just turned off from her character since it drives a completely different sort of plot than one expects from a typical battle-driven Pokemon comic book (though honestly, most of the arcs start from an undeveloped immature main character into one that fights in an epic inexplicable battle).

The whole "not wanting evolution" is just a demonstration of her relative innocence and immaturity with respect to how the world actually works. She began from trying to avoid all battles into eventually accepting that battles must be fought in the end, which is where her pokemon evolved. It's not the fact that she's keeping them unevolved because she thinks they're cute; they're literally a manifestation of her state of mind and character.

Her abilities are also another plot device to compare and contrast her with the primary antagonist. Both her and Lance share the same connection, yet take their separate paths in deciding how to realise their dreams. Lance decides coexistence is impossible, while Yellow decides coexistence is possible. While this is a pretty typical motif that comes up in most books, the fact that they both share the same very strong connection makes it much more interesting. If you're gonna criticize her for being OP, well Lance takes that to the extreme, much more than most of the antagonists with the exception of Giovanni (and even he didn't use these abilities like Lance did).

I could go on and pick on your points but that'd be a time waster. Instead, I just want to say that out of all the arcs, Yellow gets shat on the most only because it's a different sort of story thrown at the readers when they were expecting another small town boy growing to beat the league and his enemies. The fact that Yellow takes a different route than this, I think, is a good sign of the great job the writers have done.

Even though their writing has dropped off the cliff with Platinum. Jesus Christ what the hell happened there.

The point of Yellow was, in my opinion, to provide a foil, contrasting the prevalent attitudes of most of the characters who primarily served as battlers and introducing another perspective; the writers can't continue to put in main characters whose main drive is to battle and grow "stronger" since that's just dumb writing. She also drives a complete contrast from the previous arc; while Red bumbled his way through his battles with help of tactics, and, to an extent, strength to achieve his dream, what drives Yellow is her emotions and innocence, her desire to help others and her complete lack of skill of battling. Honestly, I think most people are just turned off from her character since it drives a completely different sort of plot than one expects from a typical battle-driven Pokemon comic book (though honestly, most of the arcs start from an undeveloped immature main character into one that fights in an epic inexplicable battle).
The whole "not wanting evolution" is just a demonstration of her relative innocence and immaturity with respect to how the world actually works. She began from trying to avoid all battles into eventually accepting that battles must be fought in the end, which is where her pokemon evolved. It's not the fact that she's keeping them unevolved because she thinks they're cute; they're literally a manifestation of her state of mind and character.

Her abilities are also another plot device to compare and contrast her with the primary antagonist. Both her and Lance share the same connection, yet take their separate paths in deciding how to realise their dreams. Lance decides coexistence is impossible, while Yellow decides coexistence is possible. While this is a pretty typical motif that comes up in most books, the fact that they both share the same very strong connection makes it much more interesting. If you're gonna criticize her for being OP, well Lance takes that to the extreme, much more than most of the antagonists with the exception of Giovanni (and even he didn't use these abilities like Lance did).

I could go on and pick on your points but that'd be a time waster. Instead, I just want to say that out of all the arcs, Yellow gets shat on the most only because it's a different sort of story thrown at the readers when they were expecting another small town boy growing to beat the league and his enemies. The fact that Yellow takes a different route than this, I think, is a good sign of the great job the writers have done.

Even though their writing has dropped off the cliff with Platinum. Jesus Christ what the hell happened there.

contrast and different is fine, if done well. people are generally okay with improvements, i find, after the shock is gone, and pokemon adventures has been out for a long time. i just think that yellow and characters/people like her are generally annoying and truly obnoxious. also, you do have to remember one thing - pokemon is largely to do with battling, and steering away from that is steering away from half of the point of the game.

her not wanting evolution may be a manifestation of her character, but that doesn't make her any less unreasonable. people that are stuck in lala-land all of the time bother many people, especially in an action-oriented manga like pokemon adventures is supposed to be; if this were something like a romance, then fine, but although pa does contain such elements, it's not /about/ that. it'd be like making a new manifestation of goku for dragon ball that is a sensitive, shy guy that won't fight, ever, and instead just lurks behind women in the shadows. dragon ball is an action anime; that is what attracted people into it, and that is what the general tone should continue to be. it's not that such a show would be necessarily bad, but they're putting it in the wrong place, and it's too strong of a deviation to keep previous fans interested.

i never said lance wasn't op, man. i was just discussing yellow at the time. lance is at least not as annoying, and in fact, a lot of what he did was his pokemon's sheer strength - which they should have. he is a member of the elite four, and has pokemon that are inherently powerful. yellow is just a little girl that can't really battle properly, with relatively weak creatures, like raticate and butterfree.

like i said, change is good - if it is done well. and yellow was done pretty badly, in my personal opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)