Research Week Mk.III #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome, UUers! It's time for a fresh installment of Research Group!

Keep the following things in mind during every Research Group:
  • Be open-minded, don't just say something is terrible and walk away; look at its stats, movepool, and typing and think something up!
  • Feel free to theorymon early in the research period, but make it clear you're doing so. Later in the period though, you will be expected to back up your posts with hard evidence like logs, actual sets, perhaps even teams.
  • Just because an analysis has been done for a Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't more to explore; it's very likely that something has gone unnoticed.
  • Do not post in this thread complaining about the Pokemon I choose and/or suggesting ones we should do for future weeks. Feel free to VM / PM me these suggestions, but don't expect me to always listen to you.

This Week's Research Pokemon:

Tangrowth | Yanmega | Druddigon​

How useful are these Pokemon in UU? What sets can they run effectively? What gives them trouble? What advantages do they have over other Pokemon? How well do they work in the metagame? If you have anything to say about any of these Pokemon, please post about them! It doesn't matter if you've used them or have just faced them in battle, anything is fine (but please, do try them). Just be sure to back up your posts with good competitive reasoning. Remember, discussion is not limited to this topic, you are encouraged to talk about these Pokemon in #genvuu as well!

The Research Group Challenge:
In order to participate you must do the following:
  • Post here with a fresh alt and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!

The first stage of the challenge will be very relaxed so theorymon will be allowed as long as its backed up by good reasoning. During the later stage, discussion will be expected to be backed up by hard evidence, such as teams, actual sets, and logs. The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown UU ladder on the alt they registered at the time the challenge ends. If you win, you will receive temporary hops on #genvuu, but you may only claim your prize if you actually participated in the discussion. Winners will also receive a permanent spot in the Underused Hall of Fame!

I'd like to stress the point that upon signing up, you should also engage in some sort of discussion regarding this week's selection of Pokemon. This project isn't entirely a ladder-only project - it's designed to provoke discussion and creativity in the tier. Also, don't forget to post a ladder ranking next week or count yourself out of week 5.

Current Participants:
- PsYch071c (PsyGrowth)
- Explorer (0 to the 0)
- CBTerrakion (dogmatism)
- SerperiorThanU (Reserp4)
- Vileman (Vilebeing)
- Dcae (Unicron)

Participants inelligible to compete this week:
- -Manu- (Failed to provide ladder ranking)
- ScraftyIsTheBest (Failed to provide ladder ranking)
- Zaon (Failed to provide ladder ranking)

Yanmega is a beast. With Rapid Spin support, or sometimes as a lead, it can quickly proceed to tear right through teams especially if Air Slash hax activates. It needs support removing special walls and most importantly Zapdos though.

Yanmega is a beast. With Rapid Spin support, or sometimes as a lead, it can quickly proceed to tear right through teams especially if Air Slash hax activates. It needs support removing special walls and most importantly Zapdos though.
Druddigon and Tangrowth both appreciate paralysis support since they are both very slow, and Yanmega also enjoys it for paraflinch, as said above.

Tangrowth would be a nice fit to defensive teams alongside a special wall such as Blastoise or Specially Defensive Cofagrigus.

Alt: 0 to the 0
Research Pokemon: Yanmega and Druddigon
Ranking: 1529
Record: 15-10-0

Sets of Research Pokemon:

Druddigon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 Def
Nature: Impish
-Stealth Rock
-Glare
-Dragon Tail
-Earthquake

Yanmega (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
Nature: Modest
-Air Slash
-Giga Drain
-Protect
-Bug Buzz

The Inaugural Battle of the team:
http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu13148888

Comments:
The Druddigon set is an incredible lead. Many Pokemon in the tier are crippled by paralysis, and then get phazed out. This cycle repeats until Druddigon dies or is forced out (e.g. Scarf Glaceon).
Nidoqueen, Mienshao, and Hitmontop can all remove Steel-types so Yanmega can sweep more easily. In addition, Hitmontop spins.
The fact that this team has three Pokemon with recovery beyond Leftovers can help it stall out other teams. With good prediction, Mienshao, Slowking, and Nidoqueen can switch around draining the PP of opponent's attacks.
This team deals with stall fests a lot, where Slowking and an opposing special attacker, both paralyzed, both wall each other; it comes to a matter of hax.

cb aaron judge

ALL RISE
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
alt: dogmatism
pokemon using: druddigon
record: 18-17 (ugh i choke like no tommorow)
glicko2: 1595

bleh

cb druddigon is a mon which can break thru many teams with ease, given proper support. i used it along with paralysis support, and despite my somewhat poor record, i managed to beat down several teams using it. needless to say, i may use it again when the time comes.

I'm interested in trying this out (wanted to do a yanmega team for awhile)
alt: Reserp4
pokemon using: Yanmega (Maybe with Tangrowth support)
record: 40-19 (tilted pretty badly in the beginning, pondering restart?
glicko2: uu1651701727 ± 54 (provisional)40190
Just won against some guy in the 1950s with 2042 glicko2 and a record of 35-3 who spammed protect twice on his sharpedo (I had already dragon danced once with scrafty, and then I dragon danced again on the obvious protect) and yet I still won. http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu13610670
Guess I got some hax on my end though lol with air slash, should've giga drained on the rhyperior switch to be safe. I was tilting though

Any suggestions for good Yanmega partners? I've been sweeped by this many a times (mainly due to air slash hax). I know Rapid Spin is crucial, and so is a Check/counter to Zapdos.

I'm interested in trying this out (wanted to do a yanmega team for awhile)
alt: Reserp4
pokemon using: Yanmega (Maybe with Tangrowth support)
record: still making team
glicko2: not yet

Any suggestions for good Yanmega partners? I've been sweeped by this many a times (mainly due to air slash hax). I know Rapid Spin is crucial, and so is a Check/counter to Zapdos.
Usually the sweeper set is Giga Drain/Bug Buzz/Air Slash/Protect, so there is no room for Hidden Power. With that in mind, most Steel-types wall Yanmega, so Pokemon to remove those are needed. The Nido twins do a great job, with access to Fire Blast, Earth Power, and Focus Blast, as are Fighting-types, such as Scrafty. My team actually runs Nidoqueen, Hitmontop, AND Mienshao, but that might be a bit heavy on the Psychic weaknesses for some people. Nidoqueen, however, is my favorite of the three for the purpose. Hitmontop is also my spinner, but Blastoise can be viable for halting Fire-types, spreading status, and spinning away rocks.

Vileman

Actually a Nice Fella
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
UPL Champion
Alt: vilebeing
Current ladder ranking:1850+
Pokemon im using: yanmega
Will write more when i have time.+

EDIT: finnally got time.
Proof of ranking:

So i've been using this team, even before this research week started (if that's a problem i'll try to start clear from another alt).
Yanmega is a very good pokemon in UU, it's one of the few special attackers who can get past umbreon, and with modest nature and life orb it hits quite hard to anything not called snorlax. The 4x resist on fighting and bug helps switching into heracross/mienshao, so its a good check for both of them if you predict right. The ability it has to be faster than pretty much everything after 2 turns is awesome, and the 3 moves it has helps having good coverage, and giga drain can help recovering health taken from life orb. A good partner for it is hitmontop, who I've been using in my team and has been working great due to having foresight to ensure a spin. Also snorlax can help getting rid of zapdos and raikou, pursuiting them or just using body slam. Overall although it requires support, yanmega is a boss and I totally suggest everyone to use it.

anybody looking to join the research week should do so soon, as Rankings will be required on wednesday. Please provide a screenshot of the ranking and with your username visible.

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
Alt: unicron
Pokemin working with: Druddigon

Edit: Well it was a great start, I streaked to 7 wins quickly, with my team functioning very well. I was running the delightful CB Druddigon set I run in RU as well, and it works wonders. CB Outrage of 120 base attack is very powerful, and thanks to extraordinary bulk and great defensive typing. However, not everything was rainbows and butterflies: starting this afternoon, I began DCing regularly on PS and thus lost several battles I could have won. I encountered vilebeing on the ladder, but lagged and DCed out of that battle as well. So far I didn't lose a single battle that did not involve lag, and now I am simply unable to use PS due to severe lag. Unfortunately I won't be able to win this challenge, but the overall conclusion I pulled from this is that Druddigon is a very viable pokemon to use in UU, and more people should use it. If anyone who doesn't have these lag problems and stuff wants to take my team for a spin, I'll post it here. It is hyperoffensive, and uses the strong Choiced pokemon to weaken the opposition and set up a late game Sharpedo sweep, who, by the way, is incredible to use in UU, wrecks shit up late game. Well, here's the team:

Code:
Druddigon @ Choice Band
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake
- Superpower
Flygon @ Choice Band
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Fire Punch
Empoleon @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Scald
- Ice Beam
Sharpedo @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake
Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Hi Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Tornadus (M) @ Flying Gem
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Bulk Up
- Superpower
- Substitute
I use a double CB Dragon core to beat down with very powerful Outrages, each weakening the others' counters very well, with Scarf Mienshao as a top revenge killer here. BU Tornadus is an amazing sweeper and sets up easily, and hits like a truck. Empoleon's mixed defenses made it a good choice for a lead and glue, taking hits easily. Roar provides great utility. The wrap-up sweeper is the indomitable Sharpedo, the greatest late game sweeper in BW UU. Once my offensive cores smashed the opposing team to pulp, Sharpedo uses Waterfall to wash away that pulp. If I didn't have lag problems right now, with the end date tomorrow, I think this team had solid potential to peak high on the ladder.

Ugh, I had a rough time laddering up at first, I didn't know how to use my team that well and got a pretty bad losing streak but I pushed through it. I'm using a Volbeat+Yanmega core that I thought would be amazing and it is, a X3 or sometimes even X4 Yanmega just sweeps times...providing AIR MISS doesn't miss on some crucial pokes like Heracross and Togekiss. However, I find my team isn't synergized well, if Volbeat dies, my team struggles to get back on its feet. My team consists of volbeat, yanmega, porygon2, kabutops, meloetta,and scrafty. Pg2,Volbeat, and Yanmega are definitely the mvps of my team. However I needed a fighting type and Scrafty just doesn't cut it. Kabutops supports with rapid spin and stealth rock while tanking flare blitz but I haven't had much use with stealth rock and him. Any suggestions to replace those two? I want to keep Meloetta and Yanmega.

I know I'm using very underperforming pokes (not a single pokes in even the top 30s rofl) but I like to boost some usage.

Lol I just had an undeserved loss, this guy ragequitted so I thought he'd left, but he came back when he only had 10 seconds left, I din't realize it and I accidentally lost because of timer inactivity. So lame!

http://i.imgur.com/YRB48tw.png Meh, I don't want want to continue trying with my team. I don't think I can handle if I start losing points badly because of tilt this far into it. Overall, I think I really could've improved my team if I wasn't so busy. A bad losing streak in the beginning really bit me here
Whew, it's a good thing I stopped here. I just went on to win 3 more rounds getting to 85 before losing to some beginner due to air slash miss so I'm down to 68 but I already called it quits ;)

Alt: vilebeing
Current ladder ranking:1850+
Pokemon im using: yanmega
Will write more when i have time.+

EDIT: finnally got time.
Proof of ranking:

So i've been using this team, even before this research week started (if that's a problem i'll try to start clear from another alt).
Yanmega is a very good pokemon in UU, it's one of the few special attackers who can get past umbreon, and with modest nature and life orb it hits quite hard to anything not called snorlax. The 4x resist on fighting and bug helps switching into heracross/mienshao, so its a good check for both of them if you predict right. The ability it has to be faster than pretty much everything after 2 turns is awesome, and the 3 moves it has helps having good coverage, and giga drain can help recovering health taken from life orb. A good partner for it is hitmontop, who I've been using in my team and has been working great due to having foresight to ensure a spin. Also snorlax can help getting rid of zapdos and raikou, pursuiting them or just using body slam. Overall although it requires support, yanmega is a boss and I totally suggest everyone to use it.
Yanmega and Hitmontop are great partners, as they cover weaknesses well, and Hitmontop does a great job of spinning (most Spinblockers fear Toxic on the switch-in). Being able to get around top Fighting-type threats such as the aforementioned ones makes this a potent offensive core, although I used a more defensive Hitmontop set on my team.

Here is my final:

I can't get the screenshot for some reason. I had 18-10-0 with 1572 as a ranking. Since the challenge is about over, I might as well share my team:

Druddigon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Glare
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake

Slowking (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave
- Scald
- Fire Blast

Yanmega (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Air Slash
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz

Mienshao (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Aura Sphere
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Grass Knot

Nidoqueen (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 84 SAtk / 248 HP / 176 SDef
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power

Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Sucker Punch
- Low Sweep
- Toxic

Slowking was probably my MVP because it walled and stalled a lot of Pokemon, and it spread paralysis. It also formed a nice Regenerator core, an unusual one with Mienshao.

Vileman

Actually a Nice Fella
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
UPL Champion
I'd like to add that i also tried to do an alt with tangrowth just to try it out; but his typing doesn't matches his stats; most of the physical attackers of UU have a supper effective STAB to hurt it; but its a good pokemon to spread status; with double powder it can provide a good support to your team, helping slow pokes like chandelure to sweep easier.
I'll keep trying to see any good way of using it tomorrow.

EDIT: nvm tangrowth cant switch to anything in the tier; or im using its incorrectly or its just bad.

Sorry this is late guys. If you're yet to post your ranking (please do so in a screenshot), then now is the time to do so. With that said, the entry part of this research week has now concluded, and will fully close on Wednesday.

Vileman

Actually a Nice Fella
UPL Champion
Sorry this is late guys. If you're yet to post your ranking (please do so in a screenshot), then now is the time to do so. With that said, the entry part of this research week has now concluded, and will fully close on Wednesday.
Do i have to put my actual ranking or my peak?
EDIT: nvm ill just post my actual one:

Yanmega turns out to be a good pokemon; late game its veery easy to sweep; snorlax should be weakened at this point and pretty much everything its at range of being KOed by yanmega. After 2 turns its faster than everything except random stuff like scarfcrobat(who the hell uses that), the only thing you must do its to make sure to get rid of stealth rocks; hitmontop helps in that way due to assuring the spin with foresight, and its overally a good physical attacker check due to its bulk and intimidate. Also snorlax helps pursuiting ghost who spinblocks in case of chandelure who would just kill hitmontop before it can spin, so trapping it its nice. It also checks zapdos and raikou; two very troublesome pokes for yanmega.

Psychotic

Banned deucer.
here is my rank.

To be honest Tangrowth sucks, so I used Yanmega on a hail team instead. It appreciated the extra damage a lot, because Yanmega often needs a tiny bit more power to get a lot of KO's. I thought Yanmega kinda underperformed, though. The main problem with it is that I had to basically dedicate myself to keeping Stealth Rock off the field at all times, since it was already taking a ton of damage from Life Orb and Hail, and couldn't afford to have half its health taken away every time it came in. I found that Sharpedo would have fit the role so much better, and I dont think on any serious team I would use Yanmega over Pedo.

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
Sorry guys, I had severe problems with my computer during the laddering time, and I thought it had ended a week ago. Thus, I haven't laddered much more than what I tried to at the beginning, which involved me DCing a lot. I'm on my phone, so here is the ranking I ended up with after 13 battles:

Unicron
uu | ACRE:1553 | GXE: 68 | Glicko2: 1706 ± 109 (provisional) | W:9 L:4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)