Pokémon Mystery Dungeon (All Generations)

I recently finished the main story of PMD : Blue team rescue and I enjoyed it a lot !
I'm not fond of the game mechanics tbh but I really loved the storyline. I like how you become a pokemon and interact with other pokemon as friends instead of being your pet/slave etc.

I honestly answered the questions and became Charmander. I chose Chikorita as my partner because this poor thing is underrated and rarely chosen in the normal series and I like the Chikorita line a lot. This guy made me cry by being so cute and so nice with me !
In the dungeons, he learned razor leaf very fast which has been very useful and it cas also tank hits very well. He's a great partner imo.

About recruits, I liked the magnemite who joins you near the start. It learns supersonic and T-wave. Supersonic being an OP move imo, it doesn't have the crappy accuracy of the regular games and when an ennemy is confused, it rarely hits me and it lasts a long time.
I linked Supersonic and T-wave on magnemite for instant and deadly parafusion to cripple the enemy. I used this on Rayquaza and it couldn't do a thing :p.

I found that some moves are surprisingly like leech life or astonish that deal an absurd ton of damage, I find that weird...

I don't really feel like playing the after game though, the storyline is what really dragged me into the game but I find exploring dungeons just for exploring quickly boring.
TBH Blue Rescue Team has extremely questionable balance and the postgame storyline takes a long time to start feeling good. And there's too many 99 floor dungeons. I think you have to do three of them (Silver Trench is mandatory, so is Western Cave iirc, and then there's Wish Cave) and 99 floor dungeons with no break point just suck dick.

I will say this, though. The ending of Rescue Team's postgame storyline is incredibly satisfying. If you make it all the way there, you won't be disappointed. Out of the five endings in the Mystery Dungeon series (2 in Rescue Team, 2 in Explorers, and then a third added in Sky), I think the Rescue Team second ending is the most satisfying. Maybe that's because I still haven't seen the one in Sky yet because it's in a special episode, but I'm getting there.

TBH Blue Rescue Team has extremely questionable balance and the postgame storyline takes a long time to start feeling good. And there's too many 99 floor dungeons. I think you have to do three of them (Silver Trench is mandatory, so is Western Cave iirc, and then there's Wish Cave) and 99 floor dungeons with no break point just suck dick.
As a matter of opinion, I personally enjoy the challenge and the endless slog presented by the many 99 floor dungeons in Blue Rescue Team. Among my very favorite ever dungeons in a Pokemon Rescue Team games are Western Cave and Buried Relic. I love training in Western and the challenge of recruiting Golbat or whatever on the first floor of Buried Relic and getting them to the 99th floor (for some reason Pitfall traps get me all the time).
I did not find Wish Cave that challenging, but Purity Forest was insane, just so much fun.

I don't remember Silver Trench ever being mandatory: you just need it to unlock Meteor Cave, aka Deoxys's dungeon.

IIRC, the postgame storyline is the one where
you rescue and eventually recruit Gardevoir

and for that you just need to do Solar Cave (for Surf HM), Northern Range/Pitfall Valley (Latis), Wish Cave (only for like 20 floors, you're automatically teleported out after that), and Murky Cave.

I just finished playing through PMD: Gates to Infinity and it was as amazing as the others. Good plot, excellent musical score, and nice character development. Imo, it didn't feel rushed at all.

Although it was a good game, there are a couple things that I thought could use some work:

1) More Player / Partner Variety-this is a big one. The game only has 5 choices for this: the Unova starters, Axew, and Pikachu. I was disappointed that Zorua was not a possible option. I wouldn't mind if they added Zorua, Mienfoo, and some old favorites to the mix.

2) Being able to Heal HP Regardless of weather- The fact that you can only heal HP while walking in clear weather just sucks. What else is there to say?

3) A Post-game- after you beat the Final Boss, there is nothing really to do after. There's only one thing you can do after, but I'm not spoiling anything. Just trust me, there's nothing after that, which is disappointing.

Other than these little nitpicks, I had no other problems with the game.

I played as Oshawott and Tepig as my partner (in case anyone was interested). :)

I just finished the main game of PMD: Gates To Infinity and loved every minute of it. I just have one huge gripe. But it's a spoiler so I'm gonna hide tag it.

You can't play as your original pokemon anymore after defeating the Bittercold!!!!! It sucks!!! I chose to play as Tepig for a reason: I like Tepig!!!! Snivy's cool and all, but as my partner! Not as me!!!! I'm just mad. I still have hope that I (or Tepig, rather) can come back, though. I'm just gonna keep my fingers crossed as I continue this game.

Been replaying PMD1, and holy shit meowth is seriously badass. Pay Day + dumped Ginsengs = free money, max elixirs = more free money, link it with screech for guaranteed free money. goddamn.

Farfetch'd is also a surprisingly good option for teams that need some melee offense. Comes at L11, grind for 5 levels for Fury Attack, then link Leer + Fury Attack for shits and giggles. With this, I managed to beat Groudon in like 4-5 turns, and beat Rayquaza without taking a single goddamned point of damage.

Poor Espeon you should really finish the game before making posts like that just do a few missions calm your nerves, not in companionship mode though, I really loved gates to infinity but I personally believe sky was a better overall game. It's plot was more complete than the other two with more twists, (not being able to actually fight team alakazam in red was sad) it's post game is also very nice, though to put it above reds is rather unfair, all in all I'm quite curious as to how the rest of you would rank them personally

Pre ending: Sky, Gates, Red
Post game: Red, Sky, Gates
Emotional appeal: Gates, Sky, Red
Challenge:Sky, Red, Gates
Completion: Sky, Red, Gates

lol you guys

I haven't played Gates to Infinity yet (I just got a 3ds though, thanks parents!) but I can still talk about the other two games.

Rescue Team's storyline is alright, but it's nothing special. All the emotion in the first ending is completely ruined because you come back. If you wanted to let people keep playing as their main character, do a new game+ or do a "we took you back in time before the final mission, look at all this stuff you can do" like InFamous 2 did. I honestly think that both PMD and Explorers would have had much more satisfying endings if you had stayed gone and you had played as your partner instead.

Now, there's still the second ending involving Gardevoir (that one is pretty damn good), but would that ending really have been any worse if it was your partner answering questions instead of you? There was no reason at all to bring your main character back, other then "well we think little kids will cry". Of course people are going to cry! It's a sad ending, and don't write it as a sad ending if you intend to undo it right away by using some cheap "oh, well if you loved your partner enough you can come back" trick.

(I feel very strongly about this obv)

I felt that the Explorers storyline was much stronger. The day to day life of the guild made a lot more sense then the random events that happened every day in Treasure Town. And for me, the ending of Explorers was more emotional then the ending of Rescue Team-the 1 or 2 month (in storyline) delay between your partner leaving the Hidden Land and when the credits actually roll pounds home the emotion everyone's feeling. But bringing you back again was.....well...there was a reason in the game for it this time, but why? You broke the time paradox-you knew you were going to die, and you accepted it. And then you get brought back anyways???

The second ending of Explorers was bad. They pull the infamous "final boss switch" trick on you (at least Rescue Team didn't do that!), and the ending just felt contrived. Since when did Darkrai gain the power to travel through time or change people into pokemon? The third, Sky only ending (in the final Special Mission series) was great, although they did resort to the "saved by a power even greater then mine" trick.

All this is making me want to do is a PMD Nuzlocke where I can write my own ending to the story without pulling random crap out of nowhere.

While that'd be great in terms of storyline (to effectively kill off the main character forever), you need to consider in terms of gameplay: wouldn't this effectively make the MC useless? Besides, in PMD1 I'm pretty sure the partner only knows that Gardevoir was the cursed human's partner, but never has the partner interacted with Gardevoir before: that'd make the Gardevoir ending pretty awkward in that sense. And the destruction of the meteor needs to happen too in order for there to even /be/ a post-game.

PMD2 was basically explained by Arceus hax, the power of love friendship, and gameplay continuity. Darkrai being there is really random but it also kind of explains the shit about nightmares (there isn't a villain to pull off dream eater hax anymore unlike what happened in PMD1, except for Drowzee who has a minor role and helps you later on)

Also, PMD2 imo was pretty much nearly screaming for Darkrai as the final boss with Cresselia's importance (seriously do you think that Palkia was the final boss?) and the fact that Cresselia and Darkrai are basically two sides of a coin.

Sky ending is mostly nothing but pure hax being done by Arceus to preserve the future. If you think about it though, this may also have the side-effect of the miracle being conducted in the main story (i.e. you came back).

Darkrai having the ability to manipulate time and space might be a reference to the Darkrai movie released two months prior to PMD2's release, where Darkrai did possess the ability to manipulate time and space, as well as Roar of Time / Spacial Rend Darkrai being given away then.

Lelouch6, im assuming that's from worst to best?
Poor Espeon you should really finish the game before making posts like that just do a few missions calm your nerves, not in companionship mode though, I really loved gates to infinity but I personally believe sky was a better overall game. It's plot was more complete than the other two with more twists, (not being able to actually fight team alakazam in red was sad) it's post game is also very nice, though to put it above reds is rather unfair, all in all I'm quite curious as to how the rest of you would rank them personally

Pre ending: Sky, Gates, Red
Post game: Red, Sky, Gates
Emotional appeal: Gates, Sky, Red
Challenge:Sky, Red, Gates
Completion: Sky, Red, Gates
It reads like Best to Worst, otherwise he praised a game as being overall better despite coming in last in 3/5ths of his rankings

I can't really remember pre ending for Red, we beat Rayquaza and vanished right, it made sense no real reason to come back you probably had a family waiting for you back home (I'm so glad gates actually referenced that). I think it'd have been fine to have been reincarnated and just have a random pokemon join the team that was the same species as your mc with the same abilities your partner would be the new leader (not that it mattered you can switch leaders freely) the questions spoke of gengars character the partner was just as qualified as the mc to answer.

The ending for sky was the same as the other two and I was fine with it. I didn't know of Darkrai at the time but I figured the final boss couldn't be Palkia. (My guesses were Wigglytuff, you from a corrupted future, or an evil human). The sky only ending was nice in that it included Arceus the lack of Giratina was rather surprising I was sure that he was the secret agent that Dusknoir was talking about that story was very well done just the same though

The Gates pre ending end was easily the best out of them all but the post story was too short to really feelcomplete

2) Being able to Heal HP Regardless of weather- The fact that you can only heal HP while walking in clear weather just sucks. What else is there to say?
Yea this was just fucking brutal, especially when considering the fact that all of the floors in dungeons are longer than the ones in the other games. All of the times I've died in Gates to Infinity were either because I had a slow painful death from weather + other residual damage or a 5 hit multi-hit move that crit a few times. =|

I can't really remember pre ending for Red, we beat Rayquaza and vanished right, it made sense no real reason to come back you probably had a family waiting for you back home (I'm so glad gates actually referenced that). I think it'd have been fine to have been reincarnated and just have a random pokemon join the team that was the same species as your mc with the same abilities your partner would be the new leader (not that it mattered you can switch leaders freely) the questions spoke of gengars character the partner was just as qualified as the mc to answer.

The ending for sky was the same as the other two and I was fine with it. I didn't know of Darkrai at the time but I figured the final boss couldn't be Palkia. (My guesses were Wigglytuff, you from a corrupted future, or an evil human). The sky only ending was nice in that it included Arceus the lack of Giratina was rather surprising I was sure that he was the secret agent that Dusknoir was talking about that story was very well done just the same though

The Gates pre ending end was easily the best out of them all but the post story was too short to really feelcomplete
I think the pre-ending was awesome for Red/Blue because it never really explained what happened, but helped to hint that
Gengar was actually the Pokémon that used to be a human in the myth

Also, the story for Red/Blue was surprisingly interesting and creepy - Ninetales was the motivator of the story, Gengar was really fighting in order to hide his feelings and shame, and most of the Pokémon in the story besides you and Gengar were really just leading their normal lives before you and Gengar came and fucked everything up.

I thought you could not heal in weather in all of the games? Or am I mistaken and only in Gates to Infinity does that happen?
Only in Gates to Infinity. It is hard to heal in Sandstorm and Hail in the first two games, but with enough HP, you can heal more than you take.

iirc the threshold to be able to out-heal weather damage is something like 80-100 max hp, which isn't that much of a problem once you hit like lv30 or so

recruited kyogre, god damn, his stats are bitchin' compared to persian and swampert who are at least 10 levels higher.

Does anyone have any good PMD fan art I can use as an avatar?

All the pictures I can find are either too big or just bad, and I got tired of Medli.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Its really sad how they moved away from the classic PMD format. Time/Darkness/Sky are easily my favourite spinoffs. Think I'll be replaying Sky soon <3

You know what was evil in Mystery Dungeon Red and Blue. Recruiting Mew. Never was able to do it. Also, Red and Blue Rescue team covers references to original Red&Blue.
I really never tried hard to recruit Mew, but through my many trips to Buried Relic I got him. You see, I could not resist the Gummi-growth you could get from Uproar Forest and the Sitrus Berries you could find in Buried Relic. My Machop has 500 HP and 255/255/255/255...yeah, it was that bad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)