Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - UU Edition

In addition to what RT. said, something that could be worth a read is kokoloko's Underused 101: Teambuilding guide, which gives you some understanding to what the biggest threats are so that you know what to take into account when teambuilding. Even though it's not that thorough, it'll surely help you understand the metagame.

hi! i'm searching for a pokemon that can Counter / Check both Nasty Plot Cofagrigus and Choice Band Snorlax. there is something that can? thanks

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
hi! i'm searching for a pokemon that can Counter / Check both Nasty Plot Cofagrigus and Choice Band Snorlax. there is something that can? thanks
These are Pokemon that hit very hard from completely different sides of the spectrum with each of them having perfect coverage, so you will find this endeavor challenging. The closest you can get to a full counter for both of these will be CB Escavalier - it can be EV'd to outspeed Snorlax and ohkos with Megahorn, and 2hkos Cofagrigrus with Iron Head, letting you beat it. Watch out for the rare Fire Punch from Snorlax and you should be fine.

Is there anywhere I can get some more advanced suggestions past the UU Teambuilding 101 posted in the last Smog? Looking for something to take my team to the next level.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Is there anywhere I can get some more advanced suggestions past the UU Teambuilding 101 posted in the last Smog? Looking for something to take my team to the next level.
Better suggestions only really come from addressing individual teams, every team is different. If you want to take your team to the next level, the Rate My Team forum can help. Make sure to be detailed in description so the raters can give you top notch advice. Hope this helps!

The UU channel on IRC, #GenVUU may also provide you with some assistance, as many high-calibre UU players gather there often and can offer suggestions.

Two questions, both completely unrelated to each other.

Firstly, what are some good partners for ParaFlinch Togekiss? His analysis says Rhyperior, but I feel like my current Rhyperior/Togekiss/Roserade core has too much of an Ice weakness.

Secondly, is Choice Scarf Azelf with U-turn at all viable?

Our bet is on Swampert. It covers Togekiss's weaknesses and can take non-STAB Ice Beams. Also, it enjoys the paralysis Togekiss spreads.

We think Scarf-Azelf is a bit weak and Explosion is not as strong as it used to be. Raikou is just as fast and has STAB Volt Switch up to boot so that would be our first choice.

Firstly, what are some good partners for ParaFlinch Togekiss? His analysis says Rhyperior, but I feel like my current Rhyperior/Togekiss/Roserade core has too much of an Ice weakness.
Try using Qwilfish over Roserade. It can still supply Spikes, while also providing a resistance to Heracross and Ice-type moves.

Secondly, is Choice Scarf Azelf with U-turn at all viable?
Not at all. Mienshao does U-Turn and Choice Scarf better thanks to its Fighting-type STAB and access to Regenerator.

I guess this is the right place to ask this(?) but what exactly is the UU Primier League? It doesn't really say anything in the player signups. I assume it isn't just a regular tournament, or I wouldn't be asking.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I guess this is the right place to ask this(?) but what exactly is the UU Primier League? It doesn't really say anything in the player signups. I assume it isn't just a regular tournament, or I wouldn't be asking.
Its a team tournament. Managers will draft players much like a sports team, then the teams will face off. Players choose a battle spot (BW2 1-3, DPP 1-2, or ADV), and face the player in that spot. Look at the Smogon Premier League for the original idea.

Is a Hail Team advisible in UU? It's pretty rare, if not never used...

Just wondering since I saw a Abomasnow at a UU match and I thought:

"Mmm... Interesting o-o'"

Hail is totally viable in UU, why wouldn't it be? Hail Stall can be extremely hard to beat in good hands, and Hail Offense enjoys the benefit of Blizzard and Hail damage.

But keep in mind that having Hail isn't an excuse to have a lot of Ice types, I see that mistake a lot.

Nas

Banned deucer.
Definitely not, but it's a good idea to have 1-2 slow hard hitting Pokemon to take advantage of Trick Room while it's up. Escavalier, Druddigon, and Snorlax are all fine choices.

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
Is it frowned upon if you use a scarfer on a team with offensive TR cofagrigus?
OTR Cofa is used a lot like Reuniclus in OU: come in on something that can be set up on, use TR, then proceed to sweep. It is very useful, but doesn't mean the whole team is about TR. Also, RT. brings up a good point. I enjoy running Band Druddi as a partner because it is bulky and can take advantage of TR extremely well. Scarfers are necessities on almost all teams to deal with threats out of hand, any are run by even full TR teams as a backup in case the plan goes wrong. Definitely use a Scarfer if you want.

Is there anything major that Choice Scarf Flygon out speeds that a Choice Band variant can't? Assuming they both have the same nature (Jolly/Adamant).

Thanks a lot.

Is there anything major that Choice Scarf Flygon out speeds that a Choice Band variant can't? Assuming they both have the same nature (Jolly/Adamant).

Thanks a lot.
To be frank: every scarfer under base 100 speed as well as any non-scarfed Pokemon above 100 base speed.

If you want to have specific answers here we go. Although the Pokemon pointed out should be really bloody obvious.

Assuming you have a Jolly Choice Band Flygon, you will fail to outspeed the following Pokemon 100% of the time. (Note that "any set" = any competitively viable set in the current metagame)

Ambipom - any set

Azelf - any set

Chandelure - Scarf

Cobalion - any offensive set

Crobat - any set

Darmanitan - Scarf

Empoleon - Agility

Flygon - Scarf (duh)

Froslass - any set

Heracross - Scarf

Honchkrow - Scarf

Kingdra - after one DD

Krookodile - Scarf

Meloetta - Scarf

Mew - any set (unless it has used rock polish)

Mienshao - Life Orb / Choice Band

Mismagius - any set

Nidoking - Scarf

Porygon-Z - Scarf

Raikou - SubCM / Specs

Rotom-H - Scarf

Scrafty - after on DD

Sharpedo - if still unboosted (it can protect once on you to guarantee a +1, making it a 50/50 call for a double protect)

Shaymin - any offensive set

Togekiss - Scarf

Tornadus - any set

Victini - any set except Bulky Trick Room

Virizion - any offensive set

Weavile - kinda pointless with this one though

Yanmega - see Sharpedo

Zapdos - see Shaymin

Zoroark - any set

Venomoth - after one Quiver Dance

Aerodactyl - any set

Archeops - any set

Cinccino - any set

Durant - any set

Other RU pokes were excluded in this list because of extremely low viability in the UU metagame

It should be noted that Choice Band Flygon and Choice Scarf Flygon serve different purposes. Thus, you should consider how your Flygon should contribute to your team before deciding on a set.

Scarfed Flygon is a good revenge killer and a good early game scout because of its nice speed tier, as there are many dangerous Pokemon in the tier ranging from 80 to 95 base speed, and most of them are viable scarfers. It serves as a generally good check to fast, but somewhat frail offensive pokemon. In a lategame scenario (aka if every one of the opponent's Pokemon is killed by a single Outrage), the only Pokemon that can reliably revenge kill a full HP Scarf Flygon are Scarf Reckless Mienshao, Scarf Raikou / Virizion with HP Ice, Weavile and Piloswine.

Banded Flygon is very hard to switch into, especially without a Steel-type (aka Bronzong). As such, it is a very potent wallbreaker because there are very few things in UU that like eating a banded STAB Outrage or EQ. It can be much easier revenge killed though.

It should be noted that (on the ladder) most Flygons are scarfed, because the scarf set fits more purposes, so things like banded Flygon are sometimes (or often) not considered by a lot of players, which gives it somewhat of a suprise factor.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Mienshao, Mismagius, Raikou, Azelf, +1 Scarfty, +1 Kingdra, +1 Venomoth, Scarf Darmanitan, Scarf Heracross, Scarf Krookodile...

You shouldn't really be comparing the two sets though. They serve completely different roles on a team, so the one you use shouldn't depend on what the other fails to do, but rather on what your team needs. If you're looking for a revenge killer and Flygon's typing works with your team, you probably want to use Scarf on it. If you're simply looking to smash through your opponent's team using boosted Earthquakes and Outrages, then you want a CB variant.

So you see, you're kinda asking the wrong question here...

My bad guys, thanks for the answers anyway. I've got a Scarfed Flygon on one of my teams, I was just wondering If I could swap its item and use a different scarfer in its place.

A good partner for Mienshao would be CB Snorlax, as it can trap and kill a lot of the things that wall Mienshao (ghosts and psychics) with Pursuit. Snorlax is also just an all around awesome member to most teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)