Akame Ga Kiru [Manga]

More Cover Illustrations:

Original Title: アカメが斬る!

Author: Takahiro

Illustrator: Tashiro Tetsuya

Genre: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy, Romance, Shounen, Tragedy

Manga Summary: Tatsumi is a fighter who just got robbed by a pretty girl, but his luck seems to be looking up, as another pretty girl has taken him in. What he doesn’t know is that this girl is about to be visited by a family of assassins (including the girl who robbed him) and they might be the good guys, and be recruiting...

Warning: This manga is very very gruesome, so just a caution for some of the younger viewers. The author isn't afraid to kill people off using the most cruel methods. You'll know what I mean the moment you start reading. This thread will contain spoilers.

Current Status: 35 Chapters (ongoing)

Yes it is translated in English

My thoughts on the series (spoilerless):

General Overview:

First of all, I just want to state that I rarely read mangas, but this is one of the two that I follow with dedication. I want to share this gem with everyone because I don't think Akame ga Kiru has the popularity it deserves for such a great manga and I hope everyone will give this series a chance.

It lives up to every one of the genres listed above, but it is definitely more on the action side of things (I'm a romance fanatic but this still had me hooked). It is littered with combat scenes and all of them are pretty epic, even the minor skirmishes are. However, it mixes in comedy, romance, and tragedy repeatedly throughout without destroying the flow of the plot. It is pretty much ecchi-less but a manga wouldn't be a manga without an instance every now and then, but it rarely occurs and when it does it goes along with the comedy aspect rather then just pointless ecchi. It has a supernatural aspect (which I'm very fond of) in that most of the major characters have something called a Teigu, which is a magical weapon for simplicity's sake. Each Teigu is starkly different which results in a variety of powers.

Pros:

One thing I love about this series is the brutality. Usually anime/manga/light novel series keep adding characters without ever eliminating any but this series is not afraid to kill key characters on both the good side and the bad side. You never know who is going to die but you know someone will die for sure in the near future. That always keeps me on edge and I love trying to guess who will die next.

It has it's fair share of "cute" moments as well. That aspect is another strong point that keeps me reading. Naturally I need my share of cuteness and it's hard to add it into a death spree, gore infested, and serious plotline. The series is able to transition between a relaxed mood and a serious mood very fluidly so what I deem as "cute" doesn't feel out of place in this series. In short, this series doesn't have a doom and gloom atmosphere the entire time despite everything I said about death in this series.

Previously I mentioned a good side and a bad side, but this series does a great job in displaying the mindset for the characters on both sides of the conflict and implements this grayed line of justice. Obviously there will be bias thinking towards the MC's side as the righteous side but the series actively ventures into the enemy mindset. As the series goes on and each side develops, it almost feels like two mangas going on at once. This is not because the series does a bad job at bridging the gap, instead it is because you know a lot about the enemy as well. Basically Akame ga Kiru does a good job at giving the enemy screen time (almost every chapter it will zoom into what the enemy is doing).

Cons:

That crushing feeling when your favorite character dies off. Get used to that.

I also hate the once a month release, but fortunately the amount of pages per release usually exceeds 30.

I'd venture more in depth but I don't want to touch on any spoilers at this point in time. Illustrations are excellent, characters designs are awesome, an action packed adventure sprinkled with a lot of cruelty and a bit of romance, tragedy, and comedy. Even from the summary it sounded quite interesting. A definite must-read.

Anyone else following this series? Other opinions are appreciated as well.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I've made it my lifelong goal to read as many mangas as I possibly can and i'm always on the lookout for a good read... I haven't read this yet, but you've definitely piqued my interest.

I'm definitely going to read this because I enjoyed your overview, and the art is good :]

EDIT: Peachy wasn't bullshitting, this manga is really gory, but the fight scenes are amazing @_@

EDIT 2: The first chapter 0_o

EDIT 3: If Akame dies, I will drop this manga on the spot z_z

EDIT 4: I like how the main protagonist isn't stupid or has cliched reservations like "I can't hit a girl."

Haha, can't say I didn't warn you. Usually this stuff is out of my realm as I prefer the cutesy readings. However, this book had the perfect formula for mixing cuteness, epic fights, plot twists, romance, etc. Also the character designs contributed a lot to my decision to bear through the gore. It's hard to describe but the designs maintained a cutesy(yes i overuse this word) tone.

And yeah, you will find yourself to be pretty attached to certain characters on both the good and bad side. I've lost my favs twice now and wanted to drop it afterwards. But it's too good to just drop the series lol.

In a do or die situation, I wouldnt blame a guy for dropping any social customs towards women, I mean in this manga the MC literally cannot have any reservations otherwise he is dead. It also isn't heavily infested with cliche anime roles.

The deaths get increasingly more terrifying after chapter 1......

Edit: Agreeing with the Dragonuser and dog bitch statement below.

Shiny Magmortar

Banned deucer.
Having caught up to the current English translations I can say that I have thoroughly enjoyed this manga, and I don’t read manga often. The constant death, even involving the main characters, makes it a very nice change of pace compared to other things. The characters and their designs are great with few exceptions (fuck that dog bitch) and the plot is amazing and paced very nicely. The author also does a great job at getting you attached to the characters, which makes it that much more painful when he eventually kills them off later. Just a few thoughts I have about it without getting too much into spoilers, might contribute more sometime later

Also dragonuser likes armored homos.

Well...this thread totally caught me off guard.
That aside, I love this manga. As you all have said, it is extremely brutal and it does not have the usual "ah this is a main character no need to worry." Which at times pulls at my heartstrings but at the same time pulls me in wanting for more.

Fight scenes are amazing, it has some comedy, a little romance, drama, and more. Can't wait for the next releases (which is by far one of the more brutal aspects of this manga...waiting a month to read the next chapter =_=).

EDIT:
I also enjoy the conflicting stances on justice displayed through the two groups. The Jaegers (well Esdese and Wave anyways; not too convinced the same goes for dog-bitch, kurome and Ran especially) believes that what they are doing is righteous for the protection of the capital (although Esdese is a bit of a sadist in her execution). Same goes for Night Raid who are fighting for obvious reasons.

EDIT 2: I'm so noob, how do you do spoiler tags lmao doesn't work o.o

Well...this thread totally caught me off guard.
That aside, I love this manga. As you all have said, it is extremely brutal and it does not have the usual "ah this is a main character no need to worry." Which at times pulls at my heartstrings but at the same time pulls me in wanting for more.

Fight scenes are amazing, it has some comedy, a little romance, drama, and more. Can't wait for the next releases (which is by far one of the more brutal aspects of this manga...waiting a month to read the next chapter =_=).

EDIT:
I also enjoy the conflicting stances on justice displayed through the two groups. The Jaegers (well Esdese and Wave anyways; not too convinced the same goes for dog-bitch, kurome and Ran especially) believes that what they are doing is righteous for the protection of the capital (although Esdese is a bit of a sadist in her execution). Same goes for Night Raid who are fighting for obvious reasons.

EDIT 2: I'm so noob, how do you do spoiler tags lmao doesn't work o.o
Closest thing we got to a spoiler tag here is
[/HIDE*] (without the asterisk).

I think dog-bitch has a pretty twisted sense of justice but I suppose we are biased because of the casualties she inflicted on Night Raid. Other than that, all she is doing is executing her missions with extreme dedication. The government brainwashing most likely did this to her and Esdese, the brutality encourager, definitely doesn't help curtail her messed up mind lol. I think even the "good" people in the Jaegers all have a warped sense of justice like dog bitch but not as severely crazy like her when she encounters Night Raid. Night Raid is pretty much an assassination clan of "justice" to us but to all of the Jaegers that image is definitely not what they see. I think it was Leone or someone who said way back when Tatsumi was joining that he should know what he is about to engage in will make him an enemy in everyone's eyes.

For those who are caught up, who do you think is next to bite the dust? Possible side changes? (Major Spoilers):

For Esdese and Wave, as much as I want them to convert to Night Raid I don't think it will happen. Esdese probably won't do it for tatsumi despite her feelings for him and without her the Jaegers will fall apart so plot-wise it wouldn't work either. I had a lot hope for Wave becoming like Tatsumi partner in "crime" due to similarities in their Teigus and Wave seems to be the most humane and sensible. However, after he started bonding with Kurome more closely in the recent chapters, that chance for converting to Night Raid seems to be diminishing. KuromeXWave <3. Speaking of which, it's pretty funny how mirror-like Akame+Tatsumi vs Kurome+Wave is.

Since someone was recently killed for NR and the Jaegers, i don't think it will happen for a while but I think the next death lineup is Raba for NR and please let it be dog-bitch for the Jaegers. I do think that all the government assassins will get destroyed without any NR casualty so I predict it will be in the next confrontation. It kinda depends on if Raba can show any potential versus the assassin(s) he is about to face to change my mind since he hasn't really gotten the spotlight yet.

I'm still furious that Chelsea died like that. She was my favorite character so hopefully this series gives me some time to grieve before slaughtering more characters.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Akame Ga Kiru is really dark...

I like how this manga can range from happy and charming to downright depressing in the blink of an eye. The capital is a terrible place, but it kind of hits close to home since society was almost exactly like that a long time ago. Like, the manga makes it feel like victory against the empire is impossible 0_o

Did I mention how awesome the named villains are? I like every single one of them, so far and they really give off the sense of "power."

I can't stop reading o_o

EDIT: One down. This manga is really unique with their villains... It's not just the ugly, despicable ones you have to watch out for...

Did I mention how awesome the named villains are? I like every single one of them, so far and they really give off the sense of "power."

I might have to implement a rule where you can't praise dog-bitch lol, even if the dog was cute at first. I hate her that much. Out of all the villains (Jaegers) I think she is the worst and the only one I truly hate. It seems I'm not the only one who holds this opinion : )

PK Gaming

Persona 5
I might have to implement a rule where you can't praise dog-bitch lol, even if the dog was cute at first. I hate her that much. Out of all the villains (Jaegers) I think she is the worst and the only one I truly hate. It seems I'm not the only one who holds this opinion : )
Haha, no way!

Dog girl was awesome! Everything from her "cute" design to her fighting-style is just perfect. I could actually kind of sympathize with her because she was given a really bum deal, and she was just doing what she thought was right. I really liked how artist drew (even when she went totally batshit crazy), he really captured her killing intent. It really drives the point home that even the "cute" characters aren't invincible or infallible.

plus

her reappearance on the 6-teigu squad got me hyped

The power scaling in this manga is amazing

Also dragonuser likes armored homos.
This is true.

Something I picked up last year, but never really got around to continuing it, but now that I have picked it back up, I'm glad I did. Most of the characters are lovable and it's tough to hate many of them....except dog-bitch. I really like Braht's characters and I really like Akame and Esdese too :D. The main character at least doesn't give me the vibe that he's invincible and broken mc like a lot of other series have.

In fact, the MC is relatively underpowered/underexperienced if anything (while inversely advancing his skills at a relatively fast pace), which is totally fine by me.

Speaking of characters, what do you think of Ran of the Jaegers? I remember seeing a page where he displayed a suspicious facial expression, which at the time, made me think he has an ulterior motive for joining Jaeger, and to an extent against Esdese. I'll try to find it and post it if I find it.

Thatsjustpeachy said:
For those who are caught up, who do you think is next to bite the dust?
About next death...
Sadly, I kinda agree with you on Raba being next. Also most likely the new super anti Teigu assassins will face casualties as well, I think.

Actually really enjoying this manga. I love the brutal scenes and how nearly any character can die in such a gory fashion. I too like most people hate dog bitch and hope she dies in a slow painful manner ^_^. I have to say Esdese is such an awesome character. Finding Wave to be quite a funny character, and hopefully we see his armor more.

I lol'd at her falling in love with Tatsumi. I think Raba is going to die next as well. He's hardly been doing anything up till now and seems the most expendable.

I agree with said statement about dragonuser.

In fact, the MC is relatively underpowered/underexperienced if anything (while inversely advancing his skills at a relatively fast pace), which is totally fine by me.

Speaking of characters, what do you think of Ran of the Jaegers? I remember seeing a page where he displayed a suspicious facial expression, which at the time, made me think he has an ulterior motive for joining Jaeger, and to an extent against Esdese. I'll try to find it and post it if I find it.
I've seen this being mentioned before. I think he is the only one that has a good chance of turning against the Jaegers right now(although perhaps not for NR though). Some people have speculated that he is actually an NR spy. Not much is known about him but he seems to be quite calm and intelligent on par with Esdese, so he does have the capabilities to plan out an escape if he wants to leave the Jaegers. Also, him being second in command and Esdese's confidant makes it all more suspicious.

Also CH35 Raws if anyone wants to read it before it gets translated in English.

5 dog-bitch haters to 1 supporter : )

I enjoyed reading this manga about inhumanly powerful fighters running around with their Shen Gong Wu.

If Raba doesn't die next it'll only be for the surprise factor, honestly. I think Susanoo's three-time-use gimmick means we'll see a double death later on and I'm not sure which of Leone and Mein will die first.

WaveXKurome to contrast TatsumiXAkame is obviously a thing. Wave will die to Tatsumi at some point, probably. Tears will be shed.

Yeah, Lan was blatant about ulterior motives at some point. What that might be is a mystery.

Seryuu isn't that bad. I enjoy how bizarrely 'wrong' her character is. If she's to die, I hope it'll be after someone from NR (very very likely to be Tatsumi) shatters her black-and-white world.

I don't like Esdese's character that much. I think the love story is unrealistic at times, like how she doesn't seem to suspect that Tatsumi is already an enemy or there's no attempt at looking through his past or anything at all. I was sure that she'd sense Incursio behind the rock after their return from the island but I guess that ruins the plot so nope.

Actually, thinking about it more, Mein and Seryuu will probably die together.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
So I finally caught up to Akame Ga Kiru, and I think it's easily one of the best manga's i've ever read. It's greatest strength lies in its treatment of the core characters; the night raid and jaegers. It's rare for me to like the good guys and the bad guys equally, but Akame ga Kiru somehow pulls it off. I love how characters can die in this manga... there's no teasing in this manga, if a character is cornered they WILL die (its not like Naruto or Bleach where someone saves them at the last second). Its heart-wrenching to see your favorite characters dies, but it just makes the manga stronger imo, the stakes were always high. No character is exempt from this... not even the bishiest, coolest, cutest or hottest characters are exempt from dying in this manga... just the way its supposed to be. Memento Mori.

The "main" fights are some of the best i've seen too. They're flashy, and shortlived, but they're almost always meaningful (grand scale fights like the ones seen in the later chapters are amazing). It's not a "perfect" manga since it obviously has flaws (i'm not talking about them because I don't want to be a downer) but its a very enjoyable read from beginning to end.

Best panel in the series (spoilers)

---
Thanks for introducing me to this manga peachy, but...

but now i've gotta wait for the next chapter ;_;
I enjoyed reading this manga about inhumanly powerful fighters running around with their Shen Gong Wu.
lmao, that's spot on

If Raba doesn't die next it'll only be for the surprise factor, honestly. I think Susanoo's three-time-use gimmick means we'll see a double death later on and I'm not sure which of Leone and Mein will die first.

WaveXKurome to contrast TatsumiXAkame is obviously a thing. Wave will die to Tatsumi at some point, probably. Tears will be shed.

Yeah, Lan was blatant about ulterior motives at some point. What that might be is a mystery.

Seryuu isn't that bad. I enjoy how bizarrely 'wrong' her character is. If she's to die, I hope it'll be after someone from NR (very very likely to be Tatsumi) shatters her black-and-white world.

I don't like Esdese's character that much. I think the love story is unrealistic at times, like how she doesn't seem to suspect that Tatsumi is already an enemy or there's no attempt at looking through his past or anything at all. I was sure that she'd sense Incursio behind the rock after their return from the island but I guess that ruins the plot so nope.

Actually, thinking about it more, Mein and Seryuu will probably die together.
lol, i think Shen Gong Wu would be better than what they currently have it as (帝具). Did you guys read CH35? (contains CH35 spoilers below)

Raba seemed to be very confident in his abilities to take down both of Borick's assassins so idk if he will die just yet. Even though he usually avoids direct combat during those instances, the fact we was willing to pop out and say what he said should be an indicator of his power. Either that or his overconfidence will lead to his downfall but I think he was able gauge his enemies' powers before faking his death.

I really hope wave doesn't go, he is probably the only "good" guy left in the Jaegers. Same with Mien, I love tsunderes too much to have her die.

I think the whole romance thing is just a build up to add tension to his eventual exposure to Esdese as part of night raid and to make their confrontation in battle after the exposure to be more interesting. The romance did feel out of place. It'd be out of character for this series and kinda boring if that looming battle didnt have some devious twist to it. I'm not sure how this series will expand after Esdese so for now I'm saying that the Esdese showdown will be the final battle.

I'm glad you guys like the manga. Imo it is the best manga I've ever read, I'm not sure if there are any weaknesses that make it any less than the other mangas out there. Sure it suffers in some aspects, but comprehensively it outranks everything I've read. If you guys didn't find a translation of CH35, I'll put one up since the manga translating team is taking quite a while. Last I checked, it's been about a week and I didn't see any english TLs.

I haven't read CH35! How long do the translators take usually?
The good manga TL groups and the popular mangas take like 3 days max to translate. A week is pretty abnormal for the greatest manga, well maybe the translators are not as into it as I am lol.

CHAPTER 35 TRANSLATION:
note, this is just a rough translation by me, basically I was just jotting down my initial interpretation so it has quite a few liberties taken, adjusted phrases to fit english, some word for word translations, and probably a fair share of errors. However, it should give you guys a very detailed idea of what's going on when read along with the Raws I posted earlier.

Edit: official CH release is out

Favourite atm is definitely Esdese, it's really intriguing to see one of the main villains with "softer" sides to them, or quirks in their personality that show them in a good light.

As things stand I get the feeling we'll see a lot more of dog-bitch, she'll be one of the lasts to go along with Kurome (if they actually decide to kill her off, personally rather see her go good than die tbh). :(.

I just read this entire thing in one night because of this thread, and it's really excellent. Your pros/cons list in the OP is pretty much spot-on. As for next character death/allegiance changes:

I agree with most people that Raba is likely going to die next. I don't see Esdese switching sides at all; her own morals are far too ingrained from those backstory chapters. Wave is probably not going to switch sides, but I can see him dying at the hands of Tatsumi and having some kind of revelation in his last moments and entrusting his Shen Gong Wu to Tatsumi. He's already starting to notice how corrupt his side is, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
I caught up a long time ago, and while at the time I thought it was amazing, unfortunately the best chapter in the entire manga was the first one and that was the only one I find "memorable". So when it comes to other manga's, it just isn't up to par imo. But we also have severely different tastes. It's a nice action manga but nothing special.

I introduced a few people to this (including alice) and I tend to agree with what she told me about it. It's just predictable in a way, it follows a formula that's just so standard and it doesn't introduce anything super UNIQUE. If I were to compare it to something, it would be a JRPG for the PS1. Like a game like Suikoden where you create an army, get that one special thing (armour for this MC) but in Suikoden you get a "Rune" and every Rune has something special about it.

To say the Manga isn't entertaining is a lie, because it is. I read it all in a few days, and still follow it, but it just isn't "memorable" haha. But there's always the chance it will get better with time as it's still a new manga. (for the record though Peachy, I felt the same way you did after first reading this, it just "died down" haha)

I caught up a long time ago, and while at the time I thought it was amazing, unfortunately the best chapter in the entire manga was the first one and that was the only one I find "memorable". So when it comes to other manga's, it just isn't up to par imo. But we also have severely different tastes. It's a nice action manga but nothing special.

I introduced a few people to this (including alice) and I tend to agree with what she told me about it. It's just predictable in a way, it follows a formula that's just so standard and it doesn't introduce anything super UNIQUE. If I were to compare it to something, it would be a JRPG for the PS1. Like a game like Suikoden where you create an army, get that one special thing (armour for this MC) but in Suikoden you get a "Rune" and every Rune has something special about it.

To say the Manga isn't entertaining is a lie, because it is. I read it all in a few days, and still follow it, but it just isn't "memorable" haha. But there's always the chance it will get better with time as it's still a new manga. (for the record though Peachy, I felt the same way you did after first reading this, it just "died down" haha)
I can see how it is repetitive in a way but there's no need to change a perfectly functional formula. I'm not expecting the manga to deviate from it's current style any time soon. A manga can implement a formula over and over as long as they implement it to a high degree and I think Akame Ga Kiru does that. But I do see how it does wear down on a person after so many chapters, I think that was why I was getting impatient with Mirai Nikki (a great manga as well) in a way. I haven't read that many mangas since I'm a Light Novel>Anime>Manga kind of person so I can't really say whether something of this manga's caliber is unique or how it stacks up to other action mangas/mangas in general.

Imo they are just going to keep doing what they are doing till Esdese gets taken down. Perhaps the manga will take a new turn after that happens. However, I think they will try to drag on this conflict between NR and the Jaegers for as long as possible. By the end of it, it might just be the end of the manga. I just really hope that they don't keep replenishing characters on each side (like introducing more and more assassins on the government side, or adding more teigu users for NR). They have done it sparingly at the moment and that's fine as long as that doesn't become a trend.

Favourite atm is definitely Esdese, it's really intriguing to see one of the main villains with "softer" sides to them, or quirks in their personality that show them in a good light.

As things stand I get the feeling we'll see a lot more of dog-bitch, she'll be one of the lasts to go along with Kurome (if they actually decide to kill her off, personally rather see her go good than die tbh). :(.
I don't think anyone is going good anytime soon. There was a time when I thought Bors had a chance to leave the Jaegers but then his deathflag was raised so I knew ahead of time that he wasn't going anywhere but the grave. Kurome will definitely stay for a long time and I was surprised that she almost died in that previous confrontation. Right now it feels like the plotline is being very friendly to dog-bitch. I swear she never gets involved in anything. She happened to miss the direct confrontation, is always along Esdese's side, and now she has downtime as the assassins do their work. If this keeps up I wouldn't be surprised that dog-bitch lives to see the final battle alongside Kurome and Esdese. Although, Kurome is very weak right now, if she pushes herself too much she might find herself dead very soon. We might see Wave jump in and save her soon. EEEK, the knight comes to the rescue : )

I just read this entire thing in one night because of this thread, and it's really excellent. Your pros/cons list in the OP is pretty much spot-on. As for next character death/allegiance changes:

I agree with most people that Raba is likely going to die next. I don't see Esdese switching sides at all; her own morals are far too ingrained from those backstory chapters. Wave is probably not going to switch sides, but I can see him dying at the hands of Tatsumi and having some kind of revelation in his last moments and entrusting his Shen Gong Wu to Tatsumi. He's already starting to notice how corrupt his side is, so I wouldn't be surprised.
I'm glad you enjoyed the series! At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Wave goes down like Bors, firmly ingrained in his mind that the Empire is right and that NR is the true enemy. Also I have another theory on the allegiances. I find it a bit strange that NR and the revolutionary army as so distant to the Empire that it's just a cruel and barbaric conflict. There has been no indication that the revolutionary has been a force of good either, we only think they are good given the bias toward NR. NR might just be used to further whatever the Revolutionary Army plans are. Speaking of which, we barely have any information on what they do. They could be like the Empire in the end, but I suppose it is speculations vs reality at the moment, meaning we already see that the empire is evil but we are not sure about the Revolutionary Army. I have a gut feeling that there is something much deeper going on and wouldn't be surprised if their is some collaboration going on deep within the Empire and Revolutionary Army ranks. The plot pathing feels too straightforward and this author is the type that loves to throw curve balls. This may be a wild guess but I think Esdese could even end up working with Tatsumi to bring peace to both sides, or that Tatsumi (with NR or even Esdese) ends up fighting the bosses of the revolutionary army as well. I think there is some reason for bringing in this odd romance and I do believe we will see some collaborating in combat between Esdese and Tatsumi. I also find it strange that we don't see direct army confrontations and only witness or hear about these teigu skrimishes, perhaps there is a plan in store to eliminate all teigu users.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)