Skuntank (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Atk / 236 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Pursuit
- Taunt
- Sucker Punch
- Crunch

So yea, this cores has a great synergy in it with. Misdreavus takes the Ground type weakness of Skuntank easily with the given Evs spread while on the otherhand, Skuntank takes on the Ghost and Dark type weaknesses of Misdreavus. And since Misdreavus is an amazing spin blocker, this core will become much effective when given hazards support so spikes users like Garbodor, Dwebble or Glalie can be added to this core.

Primeape @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- U-Turn
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge

Jynx @ Life Orb
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Lovely Kiss

Skuntank @ Dread Plate
Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 212 SDef / 36 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Taunt

This core is straight-forward; The members of this core take care of each other's weaknesses, while maintaining huge offensive pressure and decent synergy. Primeape is the Scarf user of the core, and dispatches fast and frail threats such as Jynx, Charizard, Tauros, Kangaskhan and a bunch of others (not Scarf variants of course). Access to U-Turn allows the user to spam this handy move when predicting a Psychic-type switch-in to bring out Skuntank, or else just to wear down counters in general. The second member of the core, Skuntank, takes care of the Psychic and Ghost types that bother this core. Dread Plate and Crunch allows the user to not have to deal with the headache of playing mindgames with Pursuit and Sucker Punch and attack immediately. This puts a lot of pressure on the opponent's Psychic and Ghost Pokemon. Taunt dismantles many Pokemon trying to set up on Skunktank. Jynx is the last member of the core, and finishes the Fighting-Dark-Psychic core. She has both a huge SAtk and a great Speed to abuse, unlike some of her Psychic-types friends such as Gardevoir, Musharna and Beeheyem. Ice STAB is also amazing in all tiers, and NU isn't an exception. Psychic hits everything that Ice Beam doesn't hit for huge damage except for Steel-types, which is where Focus Blast comes in. Jynx can even use Lovely Kiss to neuter threat that is slower than her, such as Skuntank. It incapacitates any Pokemon that doesn't have Early Bird, Vital Spirit, Insomnia, Lum/Chesto Berry and/or Sleep Talk, which is a great advantage to have. This core appreciates Hazards support to guarantee certain checks can't switch in more than once, and cleric support since both Primeape and Skuntank hate status, especially Will-O-Wisp. A Ground resistance is really great to have too.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
offensive core

anteater (Heatmor) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Atk / 252 SAtk
Mild Nature
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Sucker Punch

cactus (Cacturne) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Spikes
- Swords Dance

this is a deadly offensive core, why do you ask? let's just have an example battle OK.

so you have your alolomola(sorry for spelling) out there and you're facing a heatmor so you're like i hit with super-eff water move, nope i switch in cacturne and heal up mmm good scald, ok so you switch into Torkal and am like, OK ill blast you with a lava plume, yeah, no I switch into my Heatmor and absorb your lava plume and proceed to win the match by frustrating you to death. so yeah

anteater (Heatmor) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Atk / 252 SAtk
Mild Nature
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Sucker Punch

cactus (Cacturne) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Spikes
- Swords Dance

this is a deadly offensive core, why do you ask? let's just have an example battle OK.

so you have your alolomola(sorry for spelling) out there and you're facing a heatmor so you're like i hit with super-eff water move, nope i switch in cacturne and heal up mmm good scald, ok so you switch into Torkal and am like, OK ill blast you with a lava plume, yeah, no I switch into my Heatmor and absorb your lava plume and proceed to win the match by frustrating you to death. so yeah
From looking at that, even with Sucker Punch, that looks like it's way too slow to be effective.
Also, if you're creating a core that tries to check Torkoal, you're going about this all in the wrong way.

Tortine

Torterra @ Leftovers
Trait: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Spd / 220 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Synthesis
- Wood Hammer

Mantine @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 200 Def / 68 SDef
Bold Nature
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
- Air Slash
- Scald

I've been using my "Tortine" defensive core for a while now and it's incredibly effective. Torterra is a spectacular lead that can check stuff like Golem, Regirock, and others very easily along with OHKOing Golurk with uninvested Wood Hammer. Mantine can come in on things like Piloswine, scarf Sawk besides stone edge, and essentially any special water type (works great vs. Ludicolo too) thanks to the defense investment. Torterra runs speed to beat uninvested base 60's.

Both these pokes can hit hard without investment but can lose to stall and there are plenty of pokes (namely Swellow) that have no problem ripping through them. Therefore, this core can be considered much more a basis for a strong balanced team rather than a perfect pair. Supporting partners to be considered are something that can handle Swellow and Braviary (Curse Regirock works well, as it can also boost and provide needed offense) and a cleric (Musharna or MisD come to mind as they help with CB Sawk, who can wear down these 2). Finally, something that can handle BoltBeamers (Regice, Lapras) is very helpful as well as they can hit both of the x4 weaknesses and are often bulky enough to take at least a hit or 2 from these guys (Torterra hates the Wood Hammer recoil from hitting Lapras, too)

I've actually used that almost exact same core, just not with the tailored EVs. I used to run the core with CM Musharna to combat the once omnipresent CB Sawk, and CB Mold Breaker Pinsir to combat opposing Psychics and Weezing, who I found to also give the two problems. I also had Scarf Rotom-S to combat Swellow who, as you said, was a major threat to the team as well as Kangaskhan because she's a beast.

Overall an awesome core, and easy to use, too.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I see a weakness to Jynx here, as Mantine really can't risk Scalding Jynx via Sleep Talk as she sets up Nasty Plots. That means you likely have to run 2 specially defensive pokes on your team, which isn't that bad, but you'll lack options to strike back often (especially Mantine, who is a sponge).

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
i think munchlax would be a great addition to that core since it is one of the best defensive answers to jynx in the tier and can act as the dedicated special wall of the core, walling stuff like non choiced electric-types. lickilicky could work too since it can use heal bell, but it can't take boosted ice beams very well

I see a weakness to Jynx here, as Mantine really can't risk Scalding Jynx via Sleep Talk as she sets up Nasty Plots. That means you likely have to run 2 specially defensive pokes on your team, which isn't that bad, but you'll lack options to strike back often (especially Mantine, who is a sponge).
Yeah I noticed that. I also forgot to mention that I ran a team with this core in Stage 8, before the threat of Jynx existed. I agree that Munchlax is great for the core and can work effectively on the previous team I had, replacing Musharna as she isn't very useful in the current metagame.

That's a good point. I mainly used this before Jynx dropped but I would think a variant of the "mootility" Miltank set could help take Ice Beams as well as provide cleric support, which would give it a little more use as a teammate than Munchlax, although Munchlax is better straight up vs Jynx.

Calcs for consideration:
+2 248 SpA Jynx Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Thick Fat Miltank: 127-151 (32.23 - 38.32%) -- 1.76% chance to 3HKO
+2 248 SpA Jynx Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lickilicky: 211-250 (49.76 - 58.96%) -- 74.61% chance to 2HKO
+2 248 SpA Jynx Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Thick Fat Munchlax: 76-91 (16.03 - 19.19%) -- possible 6HKO

Punchshroom

Nuff' said.

No seriously, these two work so well together it's not even funny. You can run any kind of set between them and expect results. They can setup hazards, resist the other's weaknesses (Flying and Fire for Carra ; Grass and Fighting for Pede), weaken the other's checks/counters and even sweep in their own right. Hell, Carracosta even makes for a decent recipient for Scolipede's Baton Pass!

SD Pede and Smash Costa can setup one the other's counters and steamroll opponents one way or another; hazards Pede and Carra can make life hard for a switch-happy opponent; Pede can lay down Spikes or/and Baton Pass a Sub to Carra to make boosting that much easier. They have excellent defensive synergy, and are able to handle some weaknesses by themselves (Scolipede skewers Psychics while Carra beats most Ground-types one-on-one). The only problem with this core is their vulnerability to special attacks, particularly Electric moves.

Nuff' said.

No seriously, these two work so well together it's not even funny. You can run any kind of set between them and expect results. They can setup hazards, resist the other's weaknesses (Flying and Fire for Carra ; Grass and Fighting for Pede), weaken the other's checks/counters and even sweep in their own right. Hell, Carracosta even makes for a decent recipient for Scolipede's Baton Pass!

SD Pede and Smash Costa can setup one the other's counters and steamroll opponents one way or another; hazards Pede and Carra can make life hard for a switch-happy opponent; Pede can lay down Spikes or/and Baton Pass a Sub to Carra to make boosting that much easier. They have excellent defensive synergy, and are able to handle some weaknesses by themselves (Scolipede skewers Psychics while Carra beats most Ground-types one-on-one). The only problem with this core is their vulnerability to special attacks, particularly Electric moves.
This is an excellent core. It has very few weaknesses and can rip through an unprepared team. It's even harder to counter unless you figure out which set each of the two are running quickly and predict well to stop their stampede. But like you said, strong special Electric-Type attacks can do a lot of damage, such as T-Bolt from Beheeyem and Rotom-S.

To mitigate this issue would run either Lightningrod Zebstrika or Offensive Camerupt with the core. The former can absorb any Electric-Type attack and attack accordingly with a coverage move or Volt Switch out to keep offensive momentum. The latter, on the other hand, can beat most common Electric-Types with its good STABs or set up a Rock Polish on the switch, completing a core of setup sweepers that take great care of each others counters. Personally, though, I would go with Zebstrika, as he can take better advantage of switch outs and takes good care of Jynx, a major threat in the meta.

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...
+

Both have plenty of possible sets, so that's really up to the user, but they have great offensive and defensive synergy. Pack this with a normal type for shadow ball and you wall a huge portion of the meta's special attackers and hit another huge portion of the meta very hard. Jynx can take on nearly every water type while camerupt takes on fire grass and electric. Strongest special ground attack you'll be receiving is from seismitoad which jynx can take on pretty well (oh opposing camerupt too, so I guess you'll have to cover that).

I've got a combination that works quite well and literally has only one weakness when you put the two together.

I know the two of these mons have been put on here in different teams before (Camerupt and Jynx, Mantine and Torterra) but these two together are also quite the team. Defensive Mantine isn't exactly a must, as it is mainly there to take hits from Water types and to come in on Ground attacks that might harm Camerupt. Mantine's biggest weakness to overcome is its horrible Electric vulnerability, which Camerupt makes totally and completely null. With three immunities between them (provided you use Water Absorb on Mantine), two of which (water and ground) are quite prevelent in the NU metagame, and five resistances, these two create fantastic synergy when used in conjunction with one another. The only few problems I encountered when using these two were their Rock type weakness, something that was easily solved by placing a steel type such as Bastiodon on the team. It also has problems with some of the faster and more versatile Pokemon in the tier, such as Primeape, Jynx, ect. but they ultimately do their jobs and do it well. Any comments or questions for this core would be very appreciated.

Sweet Jesus

Golbat @ Eviolite
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Roost

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Fun balanced core. Seismitoad is a boss in this meta, a great anti-sr lead that resists rock and electric. Golbat is an underated physical wall, scolipede does barely anything with rock slide and can't even get the lucky flinch thanks to inner focus. Golbat aslo takes on grass types extremly well (the most common switch-ins on seismitoad), is one of the rare walls who doesn't give a fuck about spikes and wins vs about any wall of the meta 1 vs 1. While golbat's defence is not that incredible for things that hit it neutraly, seismitoad will take on rampardos, cb basculin, SD rott and smash costa for it. This set is also the complete opposite of gimmicky with both mons having great utility in general.

Some things you'll need to cover
strong special attackers (jynx, ludi, eel and others)
normal and bird spam (zangoose, ursaring, tauros)
SR + boom leads (u-turn user + toad does well)
Mushy (and duosion !)

This is a combo I personally like as a defensive Core:

Throh@Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpD/252 Atk/4 Def
Ability: Mold Breaker
Nature: Adamant
- Circle Throw
- Payback
- Earthquake
- Bulk Up
This set is beastly. Most people seeing Throh switch out ASAP to Psychic Types who are ambushed by Circle Throw or Payback.
Even more shocking is when your opponent switches in Haunter, expecting a free switch in and is stunned by Earthquake.

Most psychic types are beaten by this set, leaving flying types the only issue. And who better than the "BOSS Freezer" to incapacitate these mons?

Rotom-F@Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA/252 HP/4 Spe
Nature: Modest
- Trick
- Volt Switch
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
This set complements Throh, tricking attackers then switching out for the bulky throh to bulk up further while a scarfed mon is befuddled, before sweeping.

this is kind of a core, kinda a tactic type thing. idk its really fun and effective and i have been using it all this week. im not going to be very specific with the sets because i know everyone has their preferences for these pokes and the whole set doesnt matter just a couple of moves and then some i would recommend.

Musharna @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Spd
- Baton Pass
- Psychic/Psyshock
-
-

+

Liepard @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Encore
-
-

so basically you are in against a poke with mushy and you are most likely going to be slower when you baton pass out seeing what they did you can go into and poke but if they didnt attack this is when you go into liepard and encore then u-turn to keep the game going. this is pretty much a sweep proof core if played right. you can fill in the other 2 moves on each poke to fit their needs, i know some people wouldnt like my personal sets so i just left it like that because thats all you need for this core. oh and if you were wondering i run 30 speed ivs so im slower than other standard musharnas and can lock them into pretty much any move besides signal beam on the BP.
if you dont understand or seems dumb cuz i did bad explaining i can go further into detail if needed.

Just posting to point out that Musharna's with HP Ground will also have 30 Speed IVs. You can afford to run -Speed nature to ensure that you will always out-slow, or even run 29 Speed IVs.

Also probably good to note that Scolipede and Pinsir love to wreck that core, so it's probably a good idea to run something that can handle them.

i guess i could just put ivs and -speed nature. its not like i want (or will) to out speed things and it would help against tr teams i guess. and yeah i dont really consider this a "core" but if you added like a swalot or weezing it could be, actually i might try that. misdreavus could work as well.

-snip-

Fun balanced core. Seismitoad is a boss in this meta, a great anti-sr lead that resists rock and electric. Golbat is an underated physical wall, scolipede does barely anything with rock slide and can't even get the lucky flinch thanks to inner focus. Golbat aslo takes on grass types extremly well (the most common switch-ins on seismitoad), is one of the rare walls who doesn't give a fuck about spikes and wins vs about any wall of the meta 1 vs 1. While golbat's defence is not that incredible for things that hit it neutraly, seismitoad will take on rampardos, cb basculin, SD rott and smash costa for it. This set is also the complete opposite of gimmicky with both mons having great utility in general.

Some things you'll need to cover
strong special attackers (jynx, ludi, eel and others)
normal and bird spam (zangoose, ursaring, tauros)
SR + boom leads (u-turn user + toad does well)
Mushy (and duosion !)
Huh. I tried throwing together a team to use this, and it works astonishingly well. Golbat in particular can wall a huge portion of the meta- sort of like Misdreavus, except with reliable recovery, and nobody is prepared for it. I've been using this alongside Miltank for heal bell support, and it's incredibly difficult to break.

All in all, this is a very nice core. Thanks for posting!

Punchshroom

I would suggest running enough speed on Golbat to outrun Miltank to Taunt her Heal Bells and Milk Drinks, though a Heal Beller would be recommended to cure Body Slam paralysis.

Sweet Jesus

I would suggest running enough speed on Golbat to outrun Miltank to Taunt her Heal Bells and Milk Drinks, though a Heal Beller would be recommended to cure Body Slam paralysis.
You happen to have just the speed to outrun max spe adamant rampardos which is also what misdreavus try's to outspeed, I run speed creep EV's for missy but I generaly don't post those. Heal bell can be annoying, but you can just pp stall it (16 toxic vs 8 heal bell) and golbat's bulk is not that amazing, just very good, so I'd rather keep them in defence and hp.

@othesemo

Thanks, I really like the core too, going to test golurk over toad eventually which will make the core completely different.

Sweet Jesus

Not posting any sets here but I suggest standard for all 3 mons (I consider CM as standard mushy set). This core is pretty nice with roselia and mushy as 2 main walls and mandibuzz patching up some weaknesses on both sides, mainly golurk and scoli on the physical side and psyhics and ghosts on the special side. The core is also nice because all 3 mons offer different assets while having good synergy deensively: mandibuzz breaks stall and causes lots of switches, mushy sweeps and roselia sets up hazards. Signal beam is highly suggested on mushy since roselia is already an amazing status absorber and ignal beam will help you deal with jynx which can be annoying to this core. I would suggest this core as a start for a balanced team, not stall so you should patch up with offensive mons.

Unfortunately, I personnaly find all NU spinblockers don't really fit well with this core as they don't help cover it's weaknesses (mainly jynx (and ice in general), sun, smashcosta and skuntank) they do cover zangoose however but I never see him these days.

This thread has also been inactive for a long time, I invite anyone else who feels could share some cores that do well in this new meta to do so.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Rotom-Fan @ Expert Belt
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Carracosta @ Life Orb
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet
- Shell Smash

rotom-s could potentially lure out all of shell smash carracosta's hard counters (at least the common ones), which are tangela, alomomola, and seismitoad. they have excellent defensive synergy together as well and have enough bulk to switch into each other's weaknesses at least once. jynx, especially scarfed ones, dominate this core so maybe you could run like sucker punch on rotom for it lololo

These guys work extremely well together as a pivot core. I run air balloon Probopass with magnet pull, modest max sp.atk some HP and speed creep (hue). It traps shit like Metang, Bastiodon, other Probopass and even Klang (although you need to not mess around and start attacking immediately if it's the resttalk set). It matches up very well vs lead Golem, earth power does like 60%+ and they switch out fearing the KO which is when you set your rocks. Mushy switches in on the obvious Sawk and can easily shrug off a u-turn from ape, it's the standard physically bulky spread with baton pass to piss off pepé le pew, I run either heal bell or twave as the last move (cleric is always amazing to have but so is twaving the enemy team to heck). Liepard tends to alter its set depending on what else I need in the team. I usually always run encore and u-turn for the sheer momentum you gain by volt-turning in on setup, I often like to use pursuit also to trap ghosts/psychics. It works really well since so many people assume swagpard and try to switch out.

Takes a fair amount of prediction to make this core work effectively but the best thing is, since it's voltturn, you can just slap more things onto the team like Primeape/Eel so you don't end up making a bad switch and losing all that momentum, lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)