Battling 101 Seminars (#battling101)

Status
Not open for further replies.

As you all know, Battling 101 runs on a pretty tight schedule. Tutees sign up for our tutor/apprentice program and, a lot of the time, they will be skipped round after round due to our limited number of tutors. However, these seminars are here to remedy the problem of limited tutors! Battling 101 seminars aim to have tried and tested tutors work with a group of users during every round, regardless of whether they are currently signed up for the tutor/apprentice program or not. This means that even if you were not picked as a tutee, you can still get some Battling 101 tutoring! Think of these seminars as a public lesson in Battling 101, while getting a tutor during the round would be a private lesson. You, along with other users who decide to join in, would be able to get hands-on experience and tutoring from some of the site's best battlers.

If you are interested in these seminars, you're probably wondering where these seminars are to be held. Luckily, Smogon uses IRC, so you'll easily be able to connect and join in. The channel we use will be #battling101, where anyone is welcome to join. If you're unfamiliar with IRC, you can always follow this Mibbit link. Channel authority will be given to tutors, so you'll be able to recognize them with ease. They'll generally be giving lessons regarding building teams or battling, so you'll even be able to gain some valuable skills by just showing up and watching the chat. Lessons will range from live battling to theorymon sessions, so you will be able to work on a wide range of skills that are necessary for competitive Pokemon, such as long-term thinking, risk vs reward, and prediction.

If you are interested, you'll be glad to note that we're kicking things off quite soon – the first seminar will be held on May 26th at 4:00 PM EDT. We will be covering editing teams, so if you're interested, this is definitely for you. Anyone interested in joining these seminars should show up at that time, tutors included! The Battling 101 staff hopes to see you all there!

Seminar 1:

http://pastebin.com/AhYQGxsn - part 1
http://pastebin.com/VaK0N9pE - part 2

Limitless

Success is the best revenge.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I just wanted to stress the importance of the #battling101 IRC channel. This is a place for tutors, tutees, and even potential tutees to converse and solve dilemmas that may arise. If you have framework, editing, battling, or forum integration questions, please feel free to join the channel!

Limitless

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
How exactly the battling 101 seminars should work?
Harsha can correct me if I'm wrong, but we will have a selected group of tutors available to discuss/lecture on a specific topic. Obviously, this is an interactive event, so I'm sure there will be an opportunity for people to ask questions. This particular seminar will be about team building.

Will someone be saving a log in case interested people can't be on at that time?
I'll ask Harsha or one of the other tutors to save it.

This is an awesome idea!
I've got just two questions,though:

1)Is it Discussion-free,as in one Tutor talks and the others shut up,or can everyone partecipate actively? (such as questions,intervents,etc.)

2)How long do these seminars will take?

Limitless

This is an awesome idea!
I've got just two questions,though:

1)Is it Discussion-free,as in one Tutor talks and the others shut up,or can everyone partecipate actively? (such as questions,intervents,etc.)

2)How long do these seminars will take?

• The details aren't set in stone, but I think we're leaning towards the tutors having a designated amount of time to discuss. After they've covered everything, we'll likely open the floor to the viewers to ask questions.

• Again, we're not sure on the details right now. Odds are there will be tutors available to answer any questions hours after it ends. Speaking of which, there are tutors available right now at #battling101 on IRC!

Sounds fun! Should be interesting to see. I expect a bit of madness the first meeting, but that comes with new turf. Hopefully this will help you guys address a lot of the people who can't be tutored due to size limits.

Limitless

Just wanted to remind everyone that the first battling 101 seminar will be taking place in 2 hours and 23 minutes. It will be located at #battling101 on IRC.

Hope to see you there!

http://pastebin.com/AhYQGxsn - part 1
http://pastebin.com/VaK0N9pE - part 2

Thanks to everyone who decided to participate, tutors and tutees included! I thought this sessions turned out very well, and we'll definitely learn from it and make sure that our next sessions are even more successful. We'll be covering the essentials of battling next session, so stay tuned for the date!

Lastly, I'd like to extend a special thanks to Limitless, Jirachi, and Windsong for helping out during various parts of the seminar.

It doesn't matter. Didn't get any replies from anyone here and I've found someone at GTS to tutor me. That's my pokemon home online anyway, I don't know anyone here so it's all good.

Be seeing you guys on the battlefield further down the line no doubt.

As you all know, Battling 101 runs on a pretty tight schedule. Tutees sign up for our tutor/apprentice program and, a lot of the time, they will be skipped round after round due to our limited number of tutors. However, these seminars are here to remedy the problem of limited tutors! Battling 101 seminars aim to have tried and tested tutors work with a group of users during every round, regardless of whether they are currently signed up for the tutor/apprentice program or not. This means that even if you were not picked as a tutee, you can still get some Battling 101 tutoring! Think of these seminars as a public lesson in Battling 101, while getting a tutor during the round would be a private lesson. You, along with other users who decide to join in, would be able to get hands-on experience and tutoring from some of the site's best battlers.

If you are interested in these seminars, you're probably wondering where these seminars are to be held. Luckily, Smogon uses IRC, so you'll easily be able to connect and join in. The channel we use will be #battling101, where anyone is welcome to join. If you're unfamiliar with IRC, you can always follow this Mibbit link. Channel authority will be given to tutors, so you'll be able to recognize them with ease. They'll generally be giving lessons regarding building teams or battling, so you'll even be able to gain some valuable skills by just showing up and watching the chat. Lessons will range from live battling to theorymon sessions, so you will be able to work on a wide range of skills that are necessary for competitive Pokemon, such as long-term thinking, risk vs reward, and prediction.

If you are interested, you'll be glad to note that we're kicking things off quite soon – the first seminar will be held on April 13th at 5:00 PM EDT. We will be covering building teams, so if you're interested, this is definitely for you. Anyone interested in joining these seminars should show up at that time, tutors included! The Battling 101 staff hopes to see you all there!
Ill show up! its very intresting!

This seminar thing seems like a great idea, and will be helpful to guys who are either
A.) Completely New
or
B.) Experienced, but not sure why some of their teams are really successful, while others they produce simply are not.
Myself falling into the latter category, I can safely say what I've read so far of part 1 does answer questions about the team building process, where I've been unsure/have been guessing at the "perfect" team-building process formula.
Chances are, you guys have already considered this, but are these seminars something which could be done as a voice chat between the guys giving the seminar, then uploaded somewhere? I think an audio format would make these more accessible and appealing to newer guys who aren't as willing to read large amounts of text. (Most people do afterall, have short attention spans, especially when it comes to reading it seems.)
Either way, I'm glad you guys are doing this, and I hope it's kept up! :)

I would really like to participate in this but unfortunately in my time zone it will be 4am is there any sort of recording or post-seminar info available?

I would really like to participate in this but unfortunately in my time zone it will be 4am is there any sort of recording or post-seminar info available?
I wasn't at the seminar at the time due to real life commitments but they've kindly provided links to the first and second half of the first seminar in the first post of this thread. :)

Limitless

This seminar thing seems like a great idea, and will be helpful to guys who are either
A.) Completely New
or
B.) Experienced, but not sure why some of their teams are really successful, while others they produce simply are not.
Myself falling into the latter category, I can safely say what I've read so far of part 1 does answer questions about the team building process, where I've been unsure/have been guessing at the "perfect" team-building process formula.
Chances are, you guys have already considered this, but are these seminars something which could be done as a voice chat between the guys giving the seminar, then uploaded somewhere? I think an audio format would make these more accessible and appealing to newer guys who aren't as willing to read large amounts of text. (Most people do afterall, have short attention spans, especially when it comes to reading it seems.)
Either way, I'm glad you guys are doing this, and I hope it's kept up! :)

That's a great idea, and I'll be sure to bring it up to the rest of the Battling 101 Staff.

Thanks.

i'm confused about the program and i can only do wifi battling so idk how i would find a tutor

Limitless

i'm confused about the program and i can only do wifi battling so idk how i would find a tutor
I would recommend reading all of the threads. Most of what you need to know will be there. If you still have questions, feel free to send me a PM.

Limitless

Just a reminder that the rescheduled seminar on editing will take place on June 22nd at 4 P.M. EST.

I just have a quick question and I wasn't sure where to post it, so if this is the wrong place then I apologize. I am interested in learning more about team building and battling, but with work and everything else going on in my life, I don't think I can dedicate the amount of time necessary to participate in the program. So what I was wondering is if there is anyone who is able to teach me a few things outside of the program? Thank you for your consideration, and if anyone is willing to do this, that will be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)