"hummingbird": a new musical notation

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
http://www.hummingbirdnotation.com/

as a musician this seriously hurts. who the fuck thought it was a good idea to remove the key signature, and replace plain-as-fucking-daylight sharp and flat symbols with subtle "tails"? i sigh a breath of relief when i click the "traditional" button.

discuss.

What the fuck. It's not like it's hard to learn how to read music. I don't understand why people are so intimidated by it.

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
uh, this is disgusting, and seems far more confusing/messy to look at than traditional notation. as if it's less difficult to learn all these new symbols than just learn how to associate notes with respective time signatures. what in the fuck.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
I've practically grown up playing instruments, and...this is mildly interesting. Though standard musical notation is flawed, I think most of us can agree that it is pretty much fine as it is. I do like Hummingbird's modifications, though. It is certainly easier to tell in an instant what a certain note is without spending a split second interpreting those ledger lines. And I'm sure there are some piano players out there who freak out upon seeing big clumps of notes with accidentals. There are a couple of minor problems that I see with Hummingbird, like the sharp symbol looking like the 16th rest (and like it's flipping the bird! ahahaha). So I would see this being nice if it were all made standard (lol). Heck, at the very least it might be a stepping stone that might not make some elementary school kids lose focus in music class, assuming those testimonials were true. Of course, where would that leave those kids who inevitably prefer the standard notation? Who knows. It's still nice to see people doing something to try and make the ubiquitous language of music more accessible.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
As someone who is only vaguely familar with musical notation to begin with, traditional notation isn't that hard to figure out...

I've practically grown up playing instruments, and...this is mildly interesting. Though standard musical notation is flawed, I think most of us can agree that it is pretty much fine as it is.
...but I admire their attempt to fix the problems they feel exist. As a science major, I always found it pretty annoying how many flawed conventions we uphold just because something has always been done/named/noted "that" way and the scientific community is simply too lazy to modernize and teach it in a better manner for future generations.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I can't read hummingbird at all, I doubt it's easier to learn, since there is probably no one who can teach it. Reading music isn't hard, playing it on an instrument is hard.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Different symbols for different notes seems a needless complication, otherwise it seems sensible enough.

Transposition seems like it would be confusing when you are trying to contend with symbols and not just positions of notes.

Key signatures are kinda important though, I personally would find it a little annoying to have sharps and flats indicated when they are part of the key, half of the usefulness of marking sharps or flats is that it indicates the note is out of key.

If I had designed this I would have made it so it can fit in completely with current notation. So its like something you can write over the top of existing music to help kids learn this shit. On the other hand, I have taught some young kids music, and they dont really struggle with learning notation. The instrument itself is a much tougher learning curve, but that is brass.. If you played something easy like piano maybe that would be different..

Also how do you do triplets?

yond

mitt game strong
is a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
A fresh take on music notation — easier to learn,
faster to read, and simpler for even the trickiest music.

I thought this was way harder to understand and much more complex... having to read the shadings at a fast tempo would be a nightmare... I also don't see how it would be easier to learn. This is not a fresh take at all.... it stinks.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
The soft, bubbly formes are fun!

Fan Rotom is inviting when traditional Rotom can feel intimidating.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
lol

If someone gave me a score with this kind of notation and told me to accompany them, I'd drop 'em in a heartbeat. Ain't got time for this. Neither does the rest of the competent musical world. I'd argue that this is comparable to writing an essay in Webdings.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
excuse yourself birkal i've written many a competent essay in webdings

。◕‿◕。

i don't really read music anyway but this seems incredibly difficult to read when playing since everything looks so similar. aesthetically it is ~prettier~ imo but not practical at all

also the sharps and flats are so cute uwu

It's not that bad. I can't follow it as well as I can normal music, but that's to be expected for something new. It's a novel idea, but I wouldn't try to fix what isn't broken. I'm not quite sure how they notate 16th/32nd notes etc, but if someone is raised on this new method I think it could work.

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Oh god yes different icons for different notes

Everything else isn't that much of an improvement

I think the traditional notation is much easier to read. The Hummingbird symbols are very complicated. The different filled note heads are very confusing and deterrent. The replacement for ties and dots is very incomprehensible. Moreover I miss the beams of the traditional notation, the array of the Hummingbird notation is not directly connected with the notes and it is hard to see the connection at a glance. I think the 1/32 notes and 1/64 notes are hard to distinguish, the same with the associated rests.

Even this is much clearer than Hummingbird:

I would never support this project.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Unless you're looking at millions of ledger lines, there's really no need for those separate symbols for notes. Also why make everything more subtle when the idea is clarity? I guess some piano scores can get a bit cluttered, but still, now it's just cluttered with less obvious symbols, it seems.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
So what I would do would colour notes differently for different pitches, then you can add the other shit like the lines after notes and the flats and shit, but keep stems and noteheads exactly as they are.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)