Non-Ubers in Ubers Discussion

Tyranitar
Many of you have talked about how other pokemon can be effective on the tier. I would like to talk about our old favorite: Tyranitar. This Pokemon is what you could call and antimetagame mon, and it also could be an important member, so that you can keep your sand during the match, to give that 1.5x SpD boost to your Rock Arceus, or even your Terrakion, and double the speed of Excadrill. Personally, I will talk about a Tyranitar set I love using due to its versatility.
Tyranitar (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 200 Atk / 56 SAtk / 252 Spd
Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Crunch
- Stealth Rock
- Low Kick
- Fire Blast

I mostly use this Tyranitar as a suicide lead, but.. who would expect that? If paired with Excadrill, people would think that I want to keep it alive as long as possible, but nah, that's not the idea. The concept in fact, is quite easy to understand. It pretty much fills the niche Aerodactyl used to have last gen, set up rocks and die, or keep attacking if you have the chance. Crunch is used as its mandatory STAB, and hurts most things. Low Kick is used for the big butts in Ubers, (Which are many btw) such as Dialga, ExtremeKiller Arceus, Steel Arceus, Rock Arceus, Opposing Tyranitar, Blissey, Chansey, Terrakion, and it doesn't have the nasty recoil of Superpower. Fire Blast is used to deal with the ever-present Ferrothorn, and the ocassional Skarmory and Forretress. Stealth Rock is the move I always find myself using when I don't see a spinner, and even if I see one, I would most likely use it, so I can grab a boost with any Poke on the rest of my team, as the opponent attemps to spin them away. Focus Sash is used so that you can ensure you'll set the rocks, and no EQ, SuperPower, or Water Spout will ruin that, and you will live with 1HP, so you can scout what your opponent is going to do, and respond accordingly, so later on you can use Ttar as death fodder to bring up a Poke safely. You can even take down Focus Sash Deoxys-A or Deoxys-S trying to set up Stealth Rock and Spikes together, but they won't be able to set up both, thanks to Sand Stream
However, this is not the only set Tyranitar can run. It can go from Physically-based scarfed, to Specially defensive, Dragon Dance (which is not quite useful as it used to be), or Choice Banded. All in all, you never know what to expect from a Tyranitar, and if used correctly it can give you momentum over your opponent.
Yeah this is a very original set though it's not yours lol. I've faced it so many times on the PS Ladder and the creator named it...Rider? I was caught surprised as I never expected a Ttar suicide lead, and that Low Kick was absolutely weird. I've seen this set used also in conjunction with Kyogre.

I mean that's a standard Tyranitar set from OU. It's not any 1 person's set, just like Toxic Spikes Tentacruel isn't any 1 person's set. Just let the guy enjoy posting.

I mean that's a standard Tyranitar set from OU. It's not any 1 person's set, just like Toxic Spikes Tentacruel isn't any 1 person's set. Just let the guy enjoy posting.
It's not from OU lol, first time spotted was indeed on Go10's team uvw
edit: oh right yes, I forgot

Well... Go10 did say that Lead Tyranitar existed in Gen4 Ubers, and he believes that it is the best anti-lead. If you read some Gen4 analyses, you will see mentions of "24 EVs to outspeed Max Speed Adamant Tyranitar (think Ho-Oh). Here is an analysis which mentions it: http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/deoxys-a

Click on "Team Options and Additional Comments" in the attacking lead set.
and find this - "Focus Sash Tyranitar will emerge victorious as long as it attacks on the first turn, as sandstorm will negate Deoxys-A's Focus Sash while keeping Tyranitar's intact."

It sounds a little bit strange, but I like to use breloom in ubers. The only hard counter is giratina, but substitute lugia is really annoying too. But against typical deoxys//kyogre/groudon leads he can bullet seed and mach punch, go for a spore, or whatever else fits the situation. In general he is a bit of an unusual choice so he is unexpected, especially with a focus sash. Stone edge destroys ho-oh and is kind of funny to watch. I think Shrang was using this as well. Personally I have been using him on weatherless offense (lolwut), with a team featuring excadrill and arceus ghost. I could see choice band or scarf working to an extent as well, there is still a lot to test.

It sounds a little bit strange, but I like to use breloom in ubers. The only hard counter is giratina, but substitute lugia is really annoying too. But against typical deoxys//kyogre/groudon leads he can bullet seed and mach punch, go for a spore, or whatever else fits the situation. In general he is a bit of an unusual choice so he is unexpected, especially with a focus sash. Stone edge destroys ho-oh and is kind of funny to watch. I think Shrang was using this as well. Personally I have been using him on weatherless offense (lolwut), with a team featuring excadrill and arceus ghost. I could see choice band or scarf working to an extent as well, there is still a lot to test.
Breloom? I've actually never seen that in Ubers. Can you show me a set so I can check it out...?

I don't really see what kind of advantage this has over Darkrai, who is faster, stronger and can boost with Nasty Plot. He can also Trick a Choice Scarf, wich is hilarious.

I don't really see what kind of advantage this has over Darkrai, who is faster, stronger and can boost with Nasty Plot. He can also Trick a Choice Scarf, wich is hilarious.
Um...Technician Mach Punch?

252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Darkrai: 281-330 (99.64 - 117.02%) -- 93.75% chance to OHKO

And,
252 SpA Darkrai Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Breloom: 204-240 (77.86 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I believe he means Breloom's advantage over Darkrai against opponents in general: Breloom can't KO every other threat out there with Mach Punch, but he is technically forced to since 70 base speed is shit in Ubers if you cannot boost it.

Um...Technician Mach Punch?

252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Darkrai: 281-330 (99.64 - 117.02%) -- 93.75% chance to OHKO

And,
252 SpA Darkrai Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Breloom: 204-240 (77.86 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Yes, but Darkrai is faster, resulting in a sleeping Breloom. In the turn you need to switch, Darkrai switches out, and keep the choice scarf for later. Of course, you don't use this Darkrai as a choice scarf lead if you only see offensive mons, you then just Dark Void and switch out, netting you in a (nearly) 6-5 advantage. You then still have the Choice Scarf you can Trick, to cripple a team member. Without the Scarf, and with a Leftovers, you can Dark Void and then Nasty Plot...

To add on, Darkrai doesn't come in on priority users...

Go10

Storm Vanguard !
Well well, at first I intented to build a team then make a RMT, but I'm too lazy for this so I'll just post the set here :

Keldeo (Keldeo-R) @ Focus Sash / Lum berry
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind
- Taunt

Yeah I'm the kind of player to try every anti-lead which can be used since I like fast paced offense team, and well, Keldeo proved many times to be worth the try. He can beat outright almost every uber lead, with the exception of Deo-A Extrem Speed (who's not that common anyway) and Deo-S (this one can setup two layer if you arent lucky with the roll, he got like 45-50% chance of surviving icy wind + pump). Groudon is 2hkoed even under sun (the specially defensive take 41.58 - 49.5% from Pump so he's done if he decide to use SR). The choice is yours concerning sash/lum, I found the sash to be more useful since the lum is only for darkrai, even more true since the popularization of groudon earth plate.
The main issue with Keldeo is that he's walled to death by Lati@s and Gira, so pairing with CBtar or shit like this is quite good.

ps : it's really difficult to make a team with him, on the offensive side, keldeo is godlike, but he bring some weakness really annoying to solve like the giratina one; so I'd recommend to every beginners/bad teambuilders to not try him.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Well well, at first I intented to build a team then make a RMT, but I'm too lazy for this so I'll just post the set here :

Keldeo (Keldeo-R) @ Focus Sash / Lum berry
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind
- Taunt

Yeah I'm the kind of player to try every anti-lead which can be used since I like fast paced offense team, and well, Keldeo proved many times to be worth the try. He can beat outright almost every uber lead, with the exception of Deo-A Extrem Speed (who's not that common anyway) and Deo-S (this one can setup two layer if you arent lucky with the roll, he got like 45-50% chance of surviving icy wind + pump). Groudon is 2hkoed even under sun (the specially defensive take 41.58 - 49.5% from Pump so he's done if he decide to use SR). The choice is yours concerning sash/lum, I found the sash to be more useful since the lum is only for darkrai, even more true since the popularization of groudon earth plate.
The main issue with Keldeo is that he's walled to death by Lati@s and Gira, so pairing with CBtar or shit like this is quite good.

ps : it's really difficult to make a team with him, on the offensive side, keldeo is godlike, but he bring some weakness really annoying to solve like the giratina one; so I'd recommend to every beginners/bad teambuilders to not try him.
I'm curious on how Lum Keldeo beats Darkrai leads bar a dark void miss. It's safe to say that lead darkrais are sashed so it'll dark void Keldeo, Lum berry activated and then Keldeo secret swords bringing darkrai to 1hp. The next turn darkrai can proceed to put Keldeo to sleep and then proceed to nasty plot or twave the switch.

The non ubers that I had used / I saw in Ubers were:

Shedinja (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Superguard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Swords Dance
- X-Scissor
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw

Obv needs a spinner in the team, no rocks and spikes and an a weather like sun or rain to works, but it works fantastic with a little of prediction. Kyogre is a perfect set up folder of him because any of his attacks can touch him, and thanks to the sash and a great coverage (X-scissor + shadow sneak) can sweep easily. It's difficult to use it, but works really well.

Beartic (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Swift Swin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SpA)
- Icicle Crash
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet

A friend (Eeveeto) used to use it, and I tried and it works pretty good. The item that he used was Life Orb, but i'd tried with Choice Band and it's fantastic. Icicle Crash, Superpower, Stone Edge and Aqua Jet provides a great coverage and into the rain is really fast (396 Spd), witch makes easy to outspeed standard dialga, darkrai, arceus, ho-oh and OHKO/2HKO with his moves. Also, you can revenge-kill some threats with Aqua Jet. You should try out him.

The non ubers that I had used / I saw in Ubers were:

Shedinja (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Superguard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Swords Dance
- X-Scissor
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw

Obv needs a spinner in the team, no rocks and spikes and an a weather like sun or rain to works, but it works fantastic with a little of prediction. Kyogre is a perfect set up folder of him because any of his attacks can touch him, and thanks to the sash and a great coverage (X-scissor + shadow sneak) can sweep easily. It's difficult to use it, but works really well.

The problem with Swords Dance Sheddy is that many of the common switch-ins, like Arceus, have no problem taking even a boosted hit and using the turn you are forced out to set up; and once your sash is broken, on later switch-ins the best you can do is either fire off unboosted attacks (too weak for all the support it needs) or +2 Shadow Sneaks, which are really weak anyway.

So if you're going to be using Shedinja, I would recommend a set I made up on a semi-joke team of mine:

Shedinja @ Choice Band
Trait: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Trick
- X-Scissor
- Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp

This set can punish any Shedinja switch-in with the right prediction, and can mess up half your team as well as walling Kyogre and friends. Darkrai, Mewtwo etc. are all destroyed by X-Scissor, and physical attackers will hate WoW. Everything else despises Trick. Shadow Sneak provides some revenge killing ability late-match, especially if Sheddy hasn't traded away its Choice Band yet. On the other hand, this is even more prediction-heavy than most Sheddy sets, because without Focus Sash or Protect there is no room for mistake. Genesect is good with this set because it can scout for potentially fatal Fire-type moves.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
The problem I have with shedinja is the massive cost to run it (weather inducer + spinner/bouncer) is nowhere near the end result that you get. Pretty much everything in the tier has a ghost/fire/dark move not to mention hazards are everywhere and the occasional tytar screws you up, ontop of that phazing will render all your attempts useless. Definitely not worth the cost considering how shitty shedinja is. Hell wonderguard is overrated, sturdy would be a much better ability for shedinja.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 68 SDef
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird

Even without max defense investment it can switch into most Extremekillers and proceed to set up spikes or simply whirlwind them out
It isn't even 2hkoed by brick break variants (which i honestly never find)
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Arceus-Normal Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 184+ Def Skarmory: 131-155 (39.22 - 46.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

The problem I have with shedinja is the massive cost to run it (weather inducer + spinner/bouncer) is nowhere near the end result that you get. Pretty much everything in the tier has a ghost/fire/dark move not to mention hazards are everywhere and the occasional tytar screws you up, ontop of that phazing will render all your attempts useless. Definitely not worth the cost considering how shitty shedinja is. Hell wonderguard is overrated, sturdy would be a much better ability for shedinja.
I never said Shedinja was a very good Pokémon, that's why the team I was using it on wasn't entirely serious in the first place. It's just that if you want to use it, don't use SD because it's one of the worst sets. (I don't think it's as bad as people say it is though; it's just that it's only useful against rain teams and a dead weight against most other playstyles.)

V every Shedinja will be paired with a decent spinner or Magic Bouncer... that's not to say that those guarantee hazards off, but they work at least some of the time or they would never be used in Ubers.

Last edited:
It's a deadweight against any team that can keep some form of hazards up, which is every competent team.

I am really suprised Chansey has not been mentioned yet. It is a fantastic special sponge and can take some physical hits as well. It takes on rain teams almost single-handedly, and more often than not (suprisingly) nets 1 ko a game with T-wave+S-toss. It works especially well with Forretress, being able to provide it with Wish support and taking almost everything that gives Forretress trouble. It can also be a bitch with Counter, it's always funny when Genesect U-Turns on you, brings in (insert physical attacker here) and (physical attacker) gets raped by Counter. The only problem with Chansey is that Substitute mons rape it and it is total Spikes fodder, not a good thing in Ubers.

Chansey@Eviolite
252 SpD/252 defense/4 hp

Thunder Wave
Seismic Toss
Wish
Protect/Counter

I found this searching a Ekiller Counter and i fell in love whit it <3

He's probably one of the most effective ways to scare the Extreme Killer and other physical sweepers, and arguably the most hilarious. He screws over Swords Dance Arceus, Swords Dance and DD Rayquaza, Groudon, Excadrill, Terrakion, Zekrom(non SubHoneClaws), Genesect and Mewtwo whitout Flamethrower, Forretress, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Lugia, Giratina, Blissey, Chansey and even more. Basically everythingh that isn't a Fire type or a special attacker(you can deal whit them using somethingh like Latias, Kyogre or Ho-oh, thought). Try it and it won't disappoint you ;)
Fried Chicken II (Sableye) @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Recover

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)