Playground Dorks: The Underused Pokemon of Little Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So after playing this a bit, I think there are 3 massive threats which will probably end up being pretty centralising: Lickitung, Omanyte and Zigzagoon. Quite a lot of people are running Litwick just for Ziggy as it resists Seed Bomb so it can take it on pretty well. Other than Litwick/Duskull and really really bulky things (licki and vullaby can survive a hit only at full health) not much can take it on. Unfortunately Zigzagoon has a tough time setting up, I've used both Dual Screens Natu and memento Stunky which both pair well the latter able to remove litwick. But I think the lack of set-up opportunities will eventually make it fall by the wayside.
Omanyte is incredible once set up, at +2 nothing can take it on except scarf elekid and Lickitung (again). With a bit of support it really is incredible without any good mach punchers/vacuum wavers in the tier. It has much more opportunity to set up than Ziggy as it can easily set up on flyers or anything that it threatens off the bat.
And Lickitung, as people have said, is really solid, it walls about half the tier. Mankey is the only decent fighting type. Licki's support is incredible. Wish allows the ghost-types like Litwick to remain healthy and Heal Bell is so useful, it's almost stupid not to use it.

These 3 threats basically make me run Scarf Elekid/Litwick and Mankey and then Lickitung support is needed to keep Litwick healthy and stop status and just general amazingness. So 2/3rds of my team is decided already without even thinking. Has anyone found any other good ways to deal with these threats because I think I could get bored very quickly with running really similar teams.

sub oran harvest exeggcutor is a motherfucking beast
also teddiursa is underrated as fuck??

i run lickitung to counter ziggy and omanyte while knock off+hard hitters (darumaka in my case) deal with lickitung pretty well

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Exeggcutor seems good, but I'm wondering how popular Natu will be, which basically hard counters it. Teddiursa is pretty cool but must choose between Protect and Swords Dance which is annoying. I can't think of much except Vullaby and Shelmet which can actually survive a hit at +2

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
Litwick has a couple of perks alongside just beating Zigzagoon. Litwik has completely unresisted STABs in LC UU, which affords a lot of room in its moveset to include stuff like Will-O-Wisp, Trick Room, Memento, Calm Mind and/or Clear Smog. It also has reasonable defenses and an incredible ability in Flash Fire: Darumaka is the powerhouse of LC UU so having something that can take Flare Blitz is a huge boon. Litwick is also an excellent partner with Kabuto, who is arguably the best Spinner.

Rowan

The professor?
Litwick has a couple of perks alongside just beating Zigzagoon. Litwik has completely unresisted STABs in LC UU, which affords a lot of room in its moveset to include stuff like Will-O-Wisp, Trick Room, Memento, Calm Mind and/or Clear Smog. It also has reasonable defenses and an incredible ability in Flash Fire: Darumaka is the powerhouse of LC UU so having something that can take Flare Blitz is a huge boon. Litwick is also an excellent partner with Kabuto, who is arguably the best Spinner.
Sorry yeah, I guess I misphrased it. I'm not saying Litwick is useless outside of beating Ziggy, it is very good at beating quite a few mons. I'm just saying that it's a good idea to pack one because the threat of Zigzagoon is quite large.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Put me up. I've finally started this.

After playing around with Charmander (the user, not the pokemon) I agree that Omanyte is probably one of the best sweepers in LC, especially when given Rain support. Rain+Omanyte is OP as shit; any team lacking a water resist will lose. It's that powerful. Seriously, the Rain gives Omanyte all of the insane boosts in power that make it pretty much unwallable. Hydro Pump blasts things at an insane base 270 BP after STAB and Rain, and when coming off of a base 38 SpA at +2, nothing will live if it doesn't resist the attack. (add LO for more fun times.) Ancient Power means that the Ducklett and Mantyke will fall, leaving really only Lotad and other Grass types, who can be covered by teammates pr a boosted Ancient Power. This thing doesn't even need a Smash to sweep teams.

I'll look more into it soon.

Qwilphish

when everything you touch turns to gold
One thing I noticed is the fact how most of Zigzagoon's counters are weak to ground (Litwick, Aron, etc.). However, what I haven't seen being brought up yet is how all of those pokemon are pretty easily trapped and killed by one pokemon: Trapinch.

With its exclusive ability in LC UU Arena Trap, alongside its ground STAB, Trapinch can kill the counters of Ziggy to then just murder everything with its usual set. However, even CB Trap cannot guarentee a 2HKO on physically defensive Lickitung, the premier wall in the tier. Even with all that, the ability to trap and kill all the counters to Ziggy is a pretty big incentive to give it a shot.

Here is a set that I have been using:

Trapinch @ Choice Band
Trait: Arena Trap
Level: 5
EVs: 76 HP / 196 Atk / 196 Spd
Adamant Nature
Earthquake
Superpower
Rock Slide
Crunch/Quick Attack

Earthquake is mandatory STAB that almost 2HKOs everything in the tier that doesn't resist or is immune to it. Superpower allows for to easily 2HKO Lickitung. Rock Slide is for Flying-Types who are immune to our STAB. The last two moves are filler but they serve niche purposes. Crunch is to hit Psychics and Ghosts harder than any other move whereas Quick Attack allow to finish off weakened opponents.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
One thing I noticed is the fact how most of Zigzagoon's counters are weak to ground (Litwick, Aron, etc.). However, what I haven't seen being brought up yet is how all of those pokemon are pretty easily trapped and killed by one pokemon: Trapinch.

With its exclusive ability in LC UU Arena Trap, alongside its ground STAB, Trapinch can kill the counters of Ziggy to then just murder everything with its usual set. However, even CB Trap cannot guarentee a 2HKO on physically defensive Lickitung, the premier wall in the tier. Even with all that, the ability to trap and kill all the counters to Ziggy is a pretty big incentive to give it a shot.

Here is a set that I have been using:

Trapinch @ Choice Band
Trait: Arena Trap
Level: 5
EVs: 76 HP / 196 Atk / 196 Spd
Adamant Nature
Earthquake
Superpower
Rock Slide
Crunch/Quick Attack

Earthquake is mandatory STAB that almost 2HKOs everything in the tier that doesn't resist or is immune to it. Superpower allows for to easily 2HKO Lickitung. Rock Slide is for Flying-Types who are immune to our STAB. The last two moves are filler but they serve niche purposes. Crunch is to hit Psychics and Ghosts harder than any other move whereas Quick Attack allow to finish off weakened opponents.

trapinch still loses to everything because its too slow and all the checks outspeed it and can probably ohko it because it has bad defesnses without evio. litwick and yamask can just ohko/ burn it. aron im not too sure but it can definately hope for iron head flinches lol

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'll definitely try this out! Seems fun to use stuff that is never able to be seen competitively

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)