Hardest Relative NPC

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Not at all. In HGSS the grass below Blackthorn is literally HALF of the level you want to grind to. wtf?

I beat Clair easily in crystal, like first try, first battle, but in heart-gold and soul-silver I only managed to beat her by grinding a jynx to like level 36 where she can OHKO all of the dragonair, and using paratuation (swagger and attract) on forretres for gyarados, and then actually teaching Jynx the useless flash so that it can make Kingdra hit very rarely thanks to Jynx's speed and ability to survive a hydro pump at a fairly low level. Also using a couple X items on vileplume helped once kingdra started hitting stuff again.

That's how hard she is, making you resort to dickish moves like that.

Broken stuff at that point in the game in heartgold does not exist. Unless, like me, you decided to grind up 16 levels-8 levels per all 6 pokemon to manage her, you are stuffed. Last gym leader, mind that there is only an under-leveled route and a cave between them. 9 levels. And then, you get sent over to rocket executives, and they are 11-9 levels below Clair. (nintendo logic). And then you get to the leader of team rocket... WTF LEVEL 38!?
Yeah, there is already like an 8 level skip there, and then you have 3 more levels randomly for Clair. Seriously, tell me how it makes sense.

After taking out gyarados (because dragon rage) the best tactic is walling through Clair. No gym leader should have to make you do that.

the only ones that come to mind are whitney's miltank (i ground my croconaw to level 30 because i was like 7 and grinding never got boring back then)

that kingdra though, i was stuck for so long... also i still have trouble in the crystal battle tower when a kingdra comes up

i have only had trouble with bugsy on a hg nuzlocke

i have never had trouble with misty, lenora, ghetsis, cynthia, or that one rocket grunt in mount moon everyone talks about

Celever

i am town
Misty because it has a 1/4 chance to choose bubblebeam, but I've never had trouble with her either.
Lenora just has that super strong retaliate that on your first run you are probably unprepared for, but if you grab a death fodder you should be fine, really.

Same on the rest, especially that rocket grunt.

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
I never had problems with Clair ever, even though my starter was Typhlosion. Honestly, the entire level system of HGSS was a huge disappointment for me, because it was utter garbage. Terrible balance overall. My hardest NPC was Cynthia. She's always given me a tough time in my runthroughs through Diamond and Platinum, especially Diamond, because she has that monster Chomp to wreck you.

I've never had any trouble beating Clair. Spamming T-punch from Ampharos works the first time I met her in Silver.
I also managed to do this with Hypno, works well too.

Misty is very easy, just get a grass type, she can't hit grass types. There's an oddish or bellsprout nearby.

Celever

i am town
I've never had any trouble beating Clair. Spamming T-punch from Ampharos works the first time I met her in Silver.

Misty is very easy, just get a grass type, she can't hit grass types. There's an oddish or bellsprout nearby.
Clair in gen 4

In gen 2 she's easy

OK now that I just finished a HeartGold Nuzlocke:

-Whitney can be annoying, but Dragon Rage 2HKOs. So get a Dratini from Game Corner. If not, use Geodude.
-Clair is not that bad actually. I beat her in one shot with no losses. Ampharos took out Gyarados, Feraligatr took out the Dragonair, then Ampharos paralyzed Kingdra. If you can get it to a high enough level, Ampharos barely avoids being 2HKOed by Hydro Pump (I think I had level 39).
-If you don't have an Ampharos, then you can use Feraligatr or Gyarados.
-Morty was surprisingly hard. His Gengar will outspeed and KO everything. You can try to PP stall, or you can do what I did: Turn 1 Kadabra KOs Gastly, go to Flaaffy. Turn 2 Flaaffy takes one Shadow Ball and uses Thunder Wave. Turn 3 go to a Normal-type, any will do. Turn 4 go to Kadabra. Turn 5 kill Gengar. Turn 6+7 kill the Haunters.

Nobody's mentioned this, but Brawley in RSE nuzlockes. If you didn't get Ralts or Tailow this fight would always cause at least 1 death. His Makuhita is just so damn bulky.

OK now that I just finished a HeartGold Nuzlocke:

-Whitney can be annoying, but Dragon Rage 2HKOs. So get a Dratini from Game Corner. If not, use Geodude.
-Clair is not that bad actually. I beat her in one shot with no losses. Ampharos took out Gyarados, Feraligatr took out the Dragonair, then Ampharos paralyzed Kingdra. If you can get it to a high enough level, Ampharos barely avoids being 2HKOed by Hydro Pump (I think I had level 39).
-If you don't have an Ampharos, then you can use Feraligatr or Gyarados.
-Morty was surprisingly hard. His Gengar will outspeed and KO everything. You can try to PP stall, or you can do what I did: Turn 1 Kadabra KOs Gastly, go to Flaaffy. Turn 2 Flaaffy takes one Shadow Ball and uses Thunder Wave. Turn 3 go to a Normal-type, any will do. Turn 4 go to Kadabra. Turn 5 kill Gengar. Turn 6+7 kill the Haunters.
I think getting Dratini itself should be considered a hard NPC because the Voltorb Flip Game is FUCKING IMPOSSIBLE

On a related note, Whitney is hard if you're playing and don't realize Miltank has Scrappy. Or that your Geodude is only level 16, and that's just not good enough against flinchhax.

Or basically every single available Pokémon besides Onix.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Whitney provided an extreme challenge for me at first, though I'm glad to say that I haven't lost to her on my 1st try thanks to my trusty Quagsire, both in GS (simply resisting Rollout and Slamming her) and HGSS (Mud Bomb shenanigans).

GS Morty was a bitch though with his Hypnosis-Dream Eater combo. Ugh.

dcae

plaza athénée
Nobody's mentioned this, but Brawley in RSE nuzlockes. If you didn't get Ralts or Tailow this fight would always cause at least 1 death. His Makuhita is just so damn bulky.
Oh yes. How did I forget? Brawly was the toughest gym leader in RSE hands-down, I always lose to it, even in my regular runthroughs, because Makuhita hits so hard and never dies. Meditite is a joke though. Just keeps Focus Punching, and dies too easily.

Celever

i am town
I've never had a problem with Brawly. If you're not nuzlocking just go and get a sableye for the easiest fight of your life, if you are then you would do well not to get a bird or even tentacool with the fishing rod and both can beat him well.
Wingull counts to, learn wing attack level 14 (iirc, not more than 17)

I wholeheartedly agree with Misty and Whitney being a pain in the ass to battle.

I checked the first and last two pages of this thread and I've seen no mention of the Hiker at the end of Rock Tunnel in RB. When I was 6 he was the ultimate threat, the last thing that stood between me and my way out one of the worst caves in Pokemon.

The reason he was so hard was that he had a team of 3 Geodudes and a Level 25 Graveller. At the time you reach him you're really too far into the cave to turn back and heal, plus you can't avoid him. I have memories of my already half dead 'mons being Rock Throwed to to death and when it either looked like I was about to win or we were both on our last Pokemon, he would Selfdestruct, sending me back to the start of the infernal cave.

Of course since then I've learnt to save before fighting anyone dangerous and to, y'know, not carry a bunch of half dead, rock weak pokemon when travelling through a monster of a cave.

THANK YOU. Seriously, I get so annoyed with the "Whitney's Miltank" circlejerk. If you have a Geodude (which you should, it's pretty good at this point in the game), then you win.

And seriously, no one in this entire thread has mentioned Red?

Morty's Gengar is a joke in HGSS since you can just stall Sucker Punch out with a sleeping normal-type Pokemon :X just have fearow abuse leer or something until gengar runs out, then kill it off.

THANK YOU. Seriously, I get soo annoyed with the "Whitney's Miltank" circlejerk. If you have a Geodude (which you should, it's pretty good at this point in the game), then you win.

Thing about Red is that: yes his pokémon are good, yes his pokémon have the highest level.

But seriously now, it has the three kanto starters, Lapras and Pikachu. Only Snorlax is truely all-around dangerous in comparison to the others.

If only there were more trainers with incredible teams =S

pikachu is pretty powerful, though; with lb, it gets offense on-par with legendary pokemon, plus it's decently fast.

dat iron tail though

dcae

plaza athénée
THANK YOU. Seriously, I get soo annoyed with the "Whitney's Miltank" circlejerk. If you have a Geodude (which you should, it's pretty good at this point in the game), then you win.

I actually had an extremely easy time with Red, I went in with my team of level 55 pokes, with Tyranitar level 61, and smashed him quicker than expected. I was anticipating it being extremely tough, but I beat him much more easily then I expected. Regardless, it was Red, so I was incredibly happy after my victory, especially since I was so underlevelled.

To those who say to use Sableye against Brawly: Ruby players don't have that luxury, and Mawile, its replacement, gets the shit kicked out of it. So yeah.

If you're really struggling with Brawly, you can always skip him and come back to him once your team is sufficiently over-levelled.

> Sandshrew
> Sandattack until dies
> Starter
> Spam strongest attack
> Win

Step 2 modifiable for nuzlockes.

Good, looks like we've agreed that Miltank is not the hardest thing ever.

But we've forgotten one thing for a little while.

Winona's Altaria just tears things apart if you're not prepared.

Or if you brought your cute little Rock-type and expected to win. :,(

I actually had an extremely easy time with Red, I went in with my team of level 55 pokes, with Tyranitar level 61, and smashed him quicker than expected. I was anticipating it being extremely tough, but I beat him much more easily then I expected. Regardless, it was Red, so I was incredibly happy after my victory, especially since I was so underlevelled.
You had a level 61 Tyranitar by the Red battle? The only place to catch Larvitar is in Mt. Silver, at level 20 at best. How much fucking grinding did you have to do?

Good, looks like we've agreed that Miltank is not the hardest thing ever.

But we've forgotten one thing for a little while.

Winona's Altaria just tears things apart if you're not prepared.

Or if you brought your cute little Rock-type and expected to win. :,(
i remember i had trouble beating her with my sceptile, so i left.

the hardest npc for me ever was this hex maniac that was around the entrance to lilycove city.

i simply could not understand why my sceptile, with the moveset of cut/flash/rock smash/strength could not beat this duskull of hers. couldn't even touch it, no matter what i did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)