PU Speed CCAT [Finished! See post #91]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sneasel + Duosion wins, giving us a cool dark / fighting / psychic core.

For this step you can nominate again a core of 2 Pokemon or just one Pokemon

The team:

Combusken @ Life Orb
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast

Sneasel @ Choice Band
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard
- Ice Punch/Punishment
- Low Kick

Duosion @ Eviolite
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Recover

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I guess I will post to say that I won't be nominating this round seeing as I won the previous round (it's a community CAT after all). For anyone that is thinking of nominating, I would recommend looking at what threatens the current Pokemon on the team so far (Scarf Rotom-F, Camerupt, and powerful Special attackers that aren't 2HKOed by Sneasel and Combusken) and thinking about what answers are viable for them. Taking into account the fact that we voted for Offense, we must also be careful to maintain good offensive pressure and momentum. If you are thinking about pivots, I would make sure they threaten a lot of Pokemon out rather than just sitting there trying to wall (the complete opposite of what Offense is about). Duosion is our pivot right now, and is very threatening because it can't be worn down by hazards and threatens a lot of Pokemon back with its decently powered Psychic and Signal Beam (and that is just unboosted). Any kind of remotely defensive Pokemon should have similar capabilities (remember, we don't want a liability on the team just because it looks cool). With the current 3 members, I would say that our offensive synergy is already quite well-rounded, so I would recommend focusing on the few thing not covered reliably as well. Good luck guys and I can't wait to see what you think of!

I would like to nominate Bulky Lead Lairon.

Lairon @ Eviolite
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Head Smash
-Earthquake
-Roar

We need Hazards. Lairon brings them, and so much more. Rock Head 252+ Head Smash means a 150bp STAB move with 0 recoil. Follow it up with EQ for Coverage and Roar to force out sweepers, and you have a very interesting lead mon who can double as a defensive Pivot in a tight spot, due to Eviolite and Lairon's massive bulk.

Also, Lairon is seriously a threat once it gets going. It could even run a set with Automatize to quickly increase its speed to dangerous levels, but this set is a bit more geared toward what we need on the team.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You know BlankZero, I think that Lairon can easily afford to move those Defense EVs into Attack and use an Adamant Nature. The extra physical defense doesn't really come into play since it is already so bulky on the physical side (and it won't live EQs and Fighting mvoes regardless), while investing in Special Defense doesn't save it from the several vulnerabilities it possess on that side. The offensive pressure makes Lairon a more offensive Pokemon, because it really isn't a pivot right now since it doesn't force actual switches from either walling or offensive pressure. I would keep either Roar or Toxic in the last slot, and use either Earthquake or Iron Head as a secondary offensive move.

You know BlankZero, I think that Lairon can easily afford to move those Defense EVs into Attack and use an Adamant Nature. The extra physical defense doesn't really come into play since it is already so bulky on the physical side (and it won't live EQs and Fighting mvoes regardless), while investing in Special Defense doesn't save it from the several vulnerabilities it possess on that side. The offensive pressure makes Lairon a more offensive Pokemon, because it really isn't a pivot right now since it doesn't force actual switches from either walling or offensive pressure. I would keep either Roar or Toxic in the last slot, and use either Earthquake or Iron Head as a secondary offensive move.
That's a fair assessment. I'll make some changes after I get off work and can really look into rewriting the summary.

My experience with Lairon has been as a bulky Rocker that can set rocks and start Head Smash spamming. EQ/Sr/Head Smash/Roar would probably be best as an offensive set, as Toxic is more geared towards Stall.

Edit: I still feel the team needs some kind of Pivot. If not Lairon, we should look at something else that is super bulky, that isn't just a wall.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
Duosion is a good pivot already, especially with magic Guard and reliable recovery. Yet is also fits onto an offensive team the same way Musharna used to fit well in most NU offensive teams: it can set up rather easily on many of the Pokemon it walls and sweep whole teams. Lairon can be an excellent offensive pivot if it uses more power. I agree though that Roar is probably better, since Stall loses to Duosion in general anyways.

Duosion is a good pivot already, especially with magic Guard and reliable recovery. Yet is also fits onto an offensive team the same way Musharna used to fit well in most NU offensive teams: it can set up rather easily on many of the Pokemon it walls and sweep whole teams. Lairon can be an excellent offensive pivot if it uses more power. I agree though that Roar is probably better, since Stall loses to Duosion in general anyways.
Sounds good. I'll update that post tonight and change the summary to match the new set. I'll also run a few calcs to see just how much Bulk is really needed.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Looking at the team so far, I think bulky waters / water-types in general can cause us problems (We have nothing to switch into water-type attacks / main sweepers have to rely on their weaker/less accurate STAB to hit them). For this reason, I think Life Orb Vileplume is a good choice for the team.

Vileplume @ Life Orb
Trait: Effect Spore
EVs: 174 HP / 252 SAtk / 82 Spd
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Sleep Powder

Vileplume hits the Water-types that gives the team problems hard, while giving us another pivot. Vileplume has Sleep Powder in it's arsenal as well, which is extremely useful for crippling other pokemon. Speed EVs are to outspeed min base 60's, although I guess it can go to HP if we need it. Giga and Sludge are STAB moves, and Synthesis is to keep Vile alive. This things has good bulk to sponge water attacks and good offense to not be a sitting duck. Her Poison-type also means that we have another answer for Fighting-types just in case something happens to Duosion, while also being a rather good defensive typing. Overall, I think Vile is a solid choice for the team.

Relicanth @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Head Smash
-Toxic
-Waterfall

Jumpluff @ Flying Gem
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
-Swords Dance
-Acrobatics
-Sleep Powder
-Seed Bomb / Acrobatics

This core has excellent synergy, with Rock being the only non-resist which these two Pokemon normally beat anyways. It also completes the FWG core. Relicanth acts as the bulky hazard setter, also providing the ability to hit bulky Pokemon which cause trouble to this team, such as Mantine, for SE damage. The rest of the moves are filler moves really, Jumpluff, on the other hand, provides the team utility by crippling a Pokemon with its Sleep Powder, and setting up on it afterwards. SD Jumpluff also acts as the setup sweeper of the team and is capable of sweeping numerous of times due to its great speed tier.

Jumpluff is a fantastic Mon, even seeing a bit of OU use on Sun teams as the fastest Chloroabuser. However, without PermaSun, how do you think it would fare in NU/PU?

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
Why would Jumpluff need Sun that much in PU? There are only 4 Pokemon that naturally outspeed Jumpluff in the tier: Persian, Purugly, Sneasel, and Swoobat. Only the latter two are truly that threatening, and none can switch in. Scarfers are more viable, but Jumpluff is a late-game sweeper regardless. Whenever Jumpluff is in, it always puts something to sleep or sets up a Swords Dance. Anyways, I think that the nominations so far show promise.

Why would Jumpluff need Sun that much in PU? There are only 4 Pokemon that naturally outspeed Jumpluff in the tier: Persian, Purugly, Sneasel, and Swoobat. Only the latter two are truly that threatening, and none can switch in. Scarfers are more viable, but Jumpluff is a late-game sweeper regardless. Whenever Jumpluff is in, it always puts something to sleep or sets up a Swords Dance. Anyways, I think that the nominations so far show promise.
Just be careful with Jumpluff. It's non-existent bulk means if you get greedy with boosts, you're asking for trouble. And Sleep Powder is only 75% accurate. I cannot tell you how many times I've missed with it only to get stomped on by the opponent. Jumpluff also threatens very little by itself without boosting.

Although I may be biased from using it in OU, and not having much NU experience with it.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You really only need 1 boost to be able to kill a lot of faster pokemon anyways, and that's easy to get with Sleep Powder (yes it has 75% accuracy but it's still p. reliable, and Jumpluff can scare things out to get a boost too if it wants). You generally aren't trying to get multiple SDs unless you're sure you can do so without getting hit, so it having low bulk isn't a big deal anyways, especially with its high speed letting it hit first against most things.

In terms of the cores posted, I'm not sure how I feel about Relicanth + Jumpluff since it would make the team weaker to Scarf Rotom-F which can already get momentum against the team (although Combusken can threaten it). I really like the idea of LO Vileplume on this team, since it does help against a lot of threats to this team.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
It looks like no one else is going to nominate, so Kieran gave me permission to move this along...

Alright, it's time to vote for team member number 4 (and maybe even 5)!

Lairon
Vileplume
Relicanth + Jumpluff

Good Luck to all the nominees! :pimp:

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
Lairon 1
Vileplume 3
Relicanth + Jumpluff 6

Looks like Relicanth and Jumpluff are the new additions to our CCAT! So for this last step, you may nominate 1 Pokemon to round out the team!

Combusken @ Life Orb
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast

Sneasel @ Choice Band
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard
- Ice Punch/Punishment
- Low Kick

Duosion @ Eviolite
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Recover

Relicanth @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Head Smash
-Toxic
-Waterfall

Jumpluff @ Flying Gem
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
-Swords Dance
-Acrobatics
-Sleep Powder
-Seed Bomb / Acrobatics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)