My First RU Team Warning made by a noob!

My First Competitive Team

So I made an RU team with cherubagent on #mentor that is focused around Crawdaunt setting up and sweeping.
My team

Member 1. Steelix (252Hp, 220Def, 36Atk)

This is my Stealth Rocker and he functions as a great shuffler as well as a physical wall. He will always pull his weight and is especially powerfull once I get all my hazards up with great bulk alongside roar. Steelix doest great against most common choice users such as Rotom-C, Rotom, and Mantetric locked into volt switch, and things like Entei or Druddigon.
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Moves
Stealth Rock
Gyro Bal
Roar
Earthquake

Member 2. Quilfish (Jolly 80 Def 252 Hp 176 Spe)

I love this guy he sets up spikes, stops sweepers, and takes hits. The only thing I hate about Quilfish is its design. He sets up spikes, taunts other hazards pokes, and t-waves sweepers. He is also some more helpful bulk and takes on fast pokes with t-waves and neuters fighting types. The given spread also lets him surprise base 55 speed pokes with a faster t wave or taunt to prevent set up as well as stopping opposing qwilfish that run slower sets from getting up their own hazards.
Item: Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
Moves
Taunt
Thunder Wave
Waterfall
Spikes

Member 3. Crawdaunt (Jolly 252 Atk 252 Spe 4 Hp)

Honestly Crawdaunt is the point of this team because he is my favorite Pokemon. When he can set up he is good, when he can't not really but how powerful he is when I do is to good to pass up. What he does is set up a sub DD and sweep.
Item Leftovers
Ability Adaptability
Moves
Dragon Dance
Crunch
Waterfall
Substitute

Member 4. Entei (Adamant 252 Atk 252 Spe 4 Hp)

This guy is here because my team was in need of a strong revenge killer. Entei consistently pulls his weight and will always find a way to be useful in a match and thanks to wish support from Gallade he won't be worrying about Flare Blitz recoil too much either.
Item Choice Band
Ability Blaze
Moves
Flare Blitz
Extreme Speed
Stone Edge
Sleep Talk

Member 5. Gallade (Careful 2244 SpDef 16 Spe 248 Hp)

I love this thing. I can surprise so many people that thing they can bring in something like banded Spiritomb to wall me or some other physical attacker that gets shut down by a Will-O-Wisp. It allows Gallade to wish stall as well as function as a great mixed wall that can take some of the most powerful special attacks that RU has to offer and proceed to stall them out. Oh yeah and Entei+wish support= OP
Item Leftovers
Ability Steadfast
Moves
Wish
Protect
Will-O-Wisp
Drain Punch

Member 6. Rotom(Standard form) Timid (Timid 252 Spe 252 Spa 4 Hp)

This guy is so much fun. I set up a subs and pain split at low health to take things into KO range. It is something I wanted to use and does not disappoint when played correctly. Its also a champ at stopping sandslash from spinning and taking it out after.
Item Life Orb
Ability Levitate
Moves
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Substitute
Pain Split

Notable Old Members
Lilligant (Modest 252 Spa 252 Spe 4 Hp)

I love this thing. I sleep powder, quiver dance as many times as I can, and can even take I status move while I set up. It is fun to sweep with and forces a lot of forfeits. As much as I miss having a second setup sweeper this thing just compounded my team's generaly frailness and needed to go. Lilligant is a very powerful sweeper and in the future I will build a team around it but in the long run wish Gallade was much better here due to the special bulk.
Item Lum Berry
Ability Own Tempo
Moves
Petal Dance
Sleep Powder
Hidden Power Rock
Quiver Dance

Emboar (Jolly 252 Atk 252 Spe 4 Spd)

This guy is here because my team was in need of a strong scarfer. Honestly if there is anyone on the team I am questioning right now it is this guy. I mean he is good for some threats but I’m not crazy about him. Especially being weak to rocks he is underwhelming but hey I may be using him wrong.
Item Choice Scarf. Honestly I'm still questioning the replacement of this guy for banded Entei but I dont know. The power boost and extreme speed is nice but I really miss the STAB superpower and Wild Charge to hit Slowking. Hell honestly I would totally say Emboar is a viable Entei replacement with his sub-fighting niche.
Ability Blaze
Moves
Flare Blitz
Superpower
Wild Charge
Sleep Talk

Aerodactyl (Jolly 252 Attack, 4 Hp, 252 Spe)

This is my Stealth Rocker and he can have offense too. I play pretty suicidally with him and his job is to set up rocks then do some damage. He is frail but taunt is great to abuse to stop set-ups. Edge-Quake is always good to keep around for coverage too. Overall I don't think he is actually as bad as being in RU has made him out to be because he is always great to lead with I got rid of Aero because he was really useless outside of rocks and I finally realized he just wasn't pulling his weight. Steelix has been more reliable for rocks and has great utility offensively and defensively with gyro ball and roar as well as base 200 defense.
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
Moves
Stealth Rock
Taunt
Stone Edge
Earthquake
/hide]

So this is the team. Be warned I am pretty new to competitive battling and am open to all suggestions. Use it, change it, help me with it and have fun!

Last edited:
The team looks pretty solid.

I'm a big fan of Petal Dance on Lilligant, with Own Tempo as its ability. This means that it can't get confused after using Petal Dance, which is a nice bonus. The added power you'd be gaining by using Petal Dance over Giga Drain is also massive.

I think Lum Berry might be better on Crawdaunt, as it makes it a lot easier to set up on bulky water types and other things that rely on statuses to stop opposing pokemon. Leftovers is of course always a viable option, I just think Lum Berry may be more beneficial.

Thats all I can think of really, nice job with the team.

This team is cool. Druddigon has a very shallow movepool, why not something else? Aerodactyl? For quilfish, I have heard of someone using a swords dance+explosion set, he said barely anything survived it with a life orb, put a normal gem; destroys everything. Lilligant is just like a volcarona in RU, quiver dance, quite standard. I loved that you used crawdaunt! I have been getting great results with durant, it has hustle, unboosted with hustle can almost sweep entire ou teams! To fix the accuracy issue, put on hone claws. Zweilous makes a great sweeper as well. Nice bulk and insane power, the outrage from zweilous is more powerful than rayquaza! One question; are you using the regular/default rotom? Have fun!

The team looks pretty solid.

I'm a big fan of Petal Dance on Lilligant, with Own Tempo as its ability. This means that it can't get confused after using Petal Dance, which is a nice bonus. The added power you'd be gaining by using Petal Dance over Giga Drain is also massive.

I think Lum Berry might be better on Crawdaunt, as it makes it a lot easier to set up on bulky water types and other things that rely on statuses to stop opposing pokemon. Leftovers is of course always a viable option, I just think Lum Berry may be more beneficial.

Thats all I can think of really, nice job with the team.
Thanks a lot! I like lefties on crawdaunt to keep health up because of substitute which blocks status anyway, but the lilligant advice is very good and sounds really good and i will start using it.
[Edit]: and all the credit in the world to cherub agent. Trust me the first team I made myself can't even touch this one.

This team is cool. Druddigon has a very shallow movepool, why not something else? Aerodactyl? For quilfish, I have heard of someone using a swords dance+explosion set, he said barely anything survived it with a life orb, put a normal gem; destroys everything. Lilligant is just like a volcarona in RU, quiver dance, quite standard. I loved that you used crawdaunt! I have been getting great results with durant, it has hustle, unboosted with hustle can almost sweep entire ou teams! To fix the accuracy issue, put on hone claws. Zweilous makes a great sweeper as well. Nice bulk and insane power, the outrage from zweilous is more powerful than rayquaza! One question; are you using the regular/default rotom? Have fun!
Thing is with qwilfish i want to keep it as a wall so explosion is a no, but i think i will switch to areodactyl because it does seem to work better for what i would use it for. I may get rid of emboar for durant and zweilos i just don't really like lol. I know it's good i just hate its design, and yes I am using standard rotom which is also good to keep hazards up.

hathater with Zwelious the things against it is it being pitifully slow with no way to boost it's speed, it's dark typing leaves it weak to common fighting and bug attacks, liable to being worn down easily with eviolite and having pitiful bulk without it, and having random hustle misses ruin an opportunity are all reasons not to use Zwelious. It has insane power off the bat but honestly outside of a dedicated Trick Room team I wouldn't recommend it.

In all honesty I like the team in it's current form though, strong offensive F/W/G core backed with hazards and a spin blocker seems like a good layout. The only suggestion I have is to think about changing Qwilfish's EV spread to 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Speed with a jolly nature. The reasons for this is to outrun and taunt Smeargle who otherwise seems to be a huge threat to your team. At the very lest move 16 EV's into speed to get the jump on base 55's such as Crawdaunt Bouffalant and Golurk, allowing you to taunt or hit them first while sacrificing very little bulk.

Nice team, I really like your Lilligant being own tempo! (I was going to try it myself, but I never did get around to it.) Anyways, One thing I notice is that your team seems to be weak to scarf jynx. It can outspeed everything on your team and get super effective damage on almost all of them. This may not be too big of a problem in RU, but that's just what I noticed, and I thought it was worth mentioning.

Hi kingtheboss,

about your Aerodactyl, since you yourself say to be a leader suicide, you could use a Focus Sash on it. So fast, Aerodactyl ensures you on the one hand easily preventing other leads from setting up entry hazards, on the other setting up its own.
EQ and Stone Edge are very good for Atk moves.

That's the set:

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Why don't you like zweilous? I have used zweilous in ou, kept ko'ing everthing.
Sorry but luck is what keeps me from using zweilous. I can't handle the misses caused by hustle and the weakness to fighting really hurts it and it is also very weak to scarfed primeape and doest help my sort of issue against jynx

Hi kingtheboss,

about your Aerodactyl, since you yourself say to be a leader suicide, you could use a Focus Sash on it. So fast, Aerodactyl ensures you on the one hand easily preventing other leads from setting up entry hazards, on the other setting up its own.
EQ and Stone Edge are very good for Atk moves.

That's the set:
Good idea i think i will throw a sash on it so I'm garunteed my rocks
Thanks

Nice team, I really like your Lilligant being own tempo! (I was going to try it myself, but I never did get around to it.) Anyways, One thing I notice is that your team seems to be weak to scarf jynx. It can outspeed everything on your team and get super effective damage on almost all of them. This may not be too big of a problem in RU, but that's just what I noticed, and I thought it was worth mentioning.
I have noticed my team has a little jynx problem but am not worried too much. A little prediction with areodactyl can kill it as well and i can also take care of it if qwil paralyzes it or crawdaunt gets a chance at it with a few boosts or has a sub up and Emboar can also hit it on the switch in so I am not that worried.

hathater with Zwelious the things against it is it being pitifully slow with no way to boost it's speed, it's dark typing leaves it weak to common fighting and bug attacks, liable to being worn down easily with eviolite and having pitiful bulk without it, and having random hustle misses ruin an opportunity are all reasons not to use Zwelious. It has insane power off the bat but honestly outside of a dedicated Trick Room team I wouldn't recommend it.

In all honesty I like the team in it's current form though, strong offensive F/W/G core backed with hazards and a spin blocker seems like a good layout. The only suggestion I have is to think about changing Qwilfish's EV spread to 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Speed with a jolly nature. The reasons for this is to outrun and taunt Smeargle who otherwise seems to be a huge threat to your team. At the very lest move 16 EV's into speed to get the jump on base 55's such as Crawdaunt Bouffalant and Golurk, allowing you to taunt or hit them first while sacrificing very little bulk.
I think i will try that. The one thing I am awful at is creativity with my EVs and always appreciate the help with making a good spread.

This is kinda late, but I recommend using pictures for your RMTs. It makes it more interesting to look at. Here is the link for some pokemon sprites. You can use this for future RMTs.

http://sprites.pokecheck.org/?l=5&

Oh, and good luck with your team!

Get it? Because Honchkrow has Super Luck! Ha-ha-ha....

Okay... that was bad... Sorry...

This is kinda late, but I recommend using pictures for your RMTs. It makes it more interesting to look at. Here is the link for some pokemon sprites. You can use this for future RMTs.

http://sprites.pokecheck.org/?l=5&

Oh, and good luck with your team!

Get it? Because Honchkrow has Super Luck! Ha-ha-ha....

Okay... that was bad... Sorry...
Thats okay I laughed anyway! Every site has a different way to get images up and quoting you helped me figure out this one so thanks! I also finally named the team though I have no idea where rotom and aero fit in on surf and turf lol.

This is sort of a bump but I also have an idea/question. I want to replace emboar for a new scarfer and was looking for some ideas and help would be greatly appreciated

This is sort of a bump but I also have an idea/question. I want to replace emboar for a new scarfer and was looking for some ideas and help would be greatly appreciated
May I recommend Scarfed Magmortar? He has decent base Speed and outruns almost everything with a Scarf, and his Special Attack is through the roof.

Something like this:

Magmortar @ Choice Scarf
40 Def/252 SpA/216 Spe
Modest (though Timid is usable as well)
Fire Blast (Overheat is also excellent for early use)
Thunderbolt
Focus Blast
HP Grass (Ice is also a good option)

Best of luck to you!

ss234

bop.
Js focus sash on aerodactyl is rlly bad. LO helps it gain many more KO's, as well as have more use late game. Therefore, I recommend that you stick with LO>sash.

I think that you should run Smeargle over Aerodactyl. Here is the set:

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252speed/252attack/4HP
-Spikes
-Stealth Rock
-Spore
-Explosion
Spore something, Set up spikes and Steath Rock (Stealth Rock first), and then explode somethings face off. This gives you room for a wall like Slowking or Misdreavus. Personally I would choose Misdreavus because it's a spinblocker and has access to heal bell and wish (not sure about wish but I think at least heal bell). Hope I helped! :D

Great team, but just one thing: you should try running a better choice-scarf fire type. Or just a completely different type of scarfer. Typhlosion is in RU, right? Then you should run a fast Typhlosion set:
Typhlosion
252 SpAtk 252 Spe 4HP
Modest
@ Choice Scarf
Moves
-Eruption
-Hidden Power Grass
-Solarbeam
-Protect (to scout and switch into a resisted hit)
I see if you use Crawdaunt and Quilfish before using your other Pokemon and after they faint, I see your team would go great with sun support. Give Growth to Lilligant and add Typhlosion to your team and it will be unstoppable with your Typhlosion in the sun.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Great team, but just one thing: you should try running a better choice-scarf fire type. Or just a completely different type of scarfer. Typhlosion is in RU, right? Then you should run a fast Typhlosion set:
Typhlosion
252 SpAtk 252 Spe 4HP
Modest
@ Choice Scarf
Moves
-Eruption
-Hidden Power Grass
-Solarbeam
I see if you use Crawdaunt and Quilfish before using your other Pokemon and after they faint, I see your team would go great with sun support. Give Growth to Lilligant and add Typhlosion to your team and it will be unstoppable with your Typhlosion in the sun.
1)Scarf Typhlosion is far outclassed by scarf Emboar. Specs Typhlosion is only Typhlosion.

2)Solarbeam without sun support is terrible, don't do it. Also, his team doesn't carry sun support, this advice isn't constructive. If using scarf use Focus blast and HP grass.

3)Protect on a choiced mon :evan:... no, bad. This should be flamethrower or fire blast.

@kingtheboss, don't drop Emboar for scarf Typhlosion, if you drop it pick something else.

1)Scarf Typhlosion is far outclassed by scarf Emboar. Specs Typhlosion is only Typhlosion.

2)Solarbeam without sun support is terrible, don't do it. Also, his team doesn't carry sun support, this advice isn't constructive. If using scarf use Focus blast and HP grass.

3)Protect on a choiced mon :evan:... no, bad. This should be flamethrower or fire blast.

@kingtheboss, don't drop Emboar for scarf Typhlosion, if you drop it pick something else.
I agree I have tried scarf typhlosion and it really underperforms as well as the previously mentioned set doesnt make sense so for now as much as i dont like scarfed emboar, its here to stay.

Typhlosion
252 SpAtk 252 Spe 4HP
Modest
@ Choice Scarf
Moves
-Eruption
-Hidden Power Grass
-Solarbeam
First off sun actually works against my team as lilligant is not chlorophyl, but own tempo and my main sweeper uses water type stab. Also choice locking myself into protect is a VERY bad idea as protect already has like +4 priority and sucks to be locked into. I usually just scout by sacking qwil or areo if they have gotten their hazards up or my less useful sweeper.

I think that you should run Smeargle over Aerodactyl. Here is the set:

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252speed/252attack/4HP
-Spikes
-Stealth Rock
-Spore
-Explosion
Spore something, Set up spikes and Steath Rock (Stealth Rock first), and then explode somethings face off. This gives you room for a wall like Slowking or Misdreavus. Personally I would choose Misdreavus because it's a spinblocker and has access to heal bell and wish (not sure about wish but I think at least heal bell). Hope I helped! :D
Explosion got nerfed this gen so going boom isn't the guaranteed massacre it used to be. Also i perfer aero as a scuicide lead as it can still do damage after getting its hazards up and also isnt total taunt bait. Also i already have rotom to keep my hazards on the field and he has already solidified his spot as a permanent member do the the incredible usefulness of sub pain split and the ability to beat sandslash one on one with very little prior damage.

Js focus sash on aerodactyl is rlly bad. LO helps it gain many more KO's, as well as have more use late game. Therefore, I recommend that you stick with LO>sash.
You know at first I did run LO over sash but I've found i prefer guaranteed hazards as I really don't need aero as an offensive presence (though when he chips in its nice).

Bump plus major team changes. Hey guys whats up. I haven't been truly active in forever and just wanted to show the many changes my oldest and favorite team has gone through since its conception. It has moved from an offensive team to a very balanced type team and I wanted to reflect the new pokes I have added as well as the team's very changed playstyle. I hope you can like the thread and give the updated team a rate for me!

Thanks
Mike

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)