Ask A Simple Question, Get A Simple Answer - Pokemon Showdown! Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having trouble installing

So basically, my SHowdown started acting up a few days ago so i decided to re-download the game. So every time I install it i keep getting this line of text:

error id: "bad_httpd_conf"

BTW I have a Mac, if anyone can help me or can direct me to anyone who can help me that would be greatly appreciated!

Oh yah, I'm in version 10.6.8 for Mac.

Lowgock

Doyen & Éminence Grise of the German Pokémon Community
is the 3rd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
Why cant i reconnect to my battles sometimes? Lost a crapload of points because of this

So I looked at the post rules and also the "technical support" and "bug" sections and think that this belongs here:

I know Showdown supports Event pokemon (eg. Rash Aura Sphere Raikou, etc), but are we able to use any/all released event pokemon? I was trying to use a Golduck [Psyduck] from the Pokémon Center Mystery Egg/New York City Pokémon Center event in Gen II. It learns petal dance through this event and it says incompatible when I'm on Showdown. Didn't know if this was an overall bug or just policy. Thanks

Source:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Golduck_(Pokémon)/Generation_II_learnset#By_leveling_up

edit: Ah, didn't realize they couldn't be transferred. Thanks Zarel!

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
So I looked at the post rules and also the "technical support" and "bug" sections and think that this belongs here:

I know Showdown supports Event pokemon (eg. Rash Aura Sphere Raikou, etc), but are we able to use any/all released event pokemon? I was trying to use a Golduck [Psyduck] from the Pokémon Center Mystery Egg/New York City Pokémon Center event in Gen II. It learns petal dance through this event and it says incompatible when I'm on Showdown. Didn't know if this was an overall bug or just policy. Thanks

Source:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Golduck_(Pokémon)/Generation_II_learnset#By_leveling_up
It's possible to transfer pokemon from Gen III to Gen IV, and from Gen IV to Gen V, but there's no way to transfer a Gen II pokemon to later gens.

We only allow pokemon that are possible to get in the game you're playing in. Most Pokemon Showdown games are played in Gen V, so only pokemon that are possible to get in Gen V are allowed in those formats.

michael

m as in mancy
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
How do the recommended EV spreads get determined?
there's an algorithm based on the moves/base stats/item/ability that determines the playstyle of the pokemon and assigns the EVs accordingly. someone pokemon have exceptions to hit certain speed tiers (celebi, tentacruel, iirc jirachi) and things like that.

i'll try to find the section in the source code and edit it in here if i find it.

swamp-rocket, the ev spread recommender is spread throughout https://github.com/Zarel/Pokemon-Showdown-Client/blob/master/js/teambuilder.js

michael

m as in mancy
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Where did percentages go. Why does it now give me a range.
basically, in the game, your opponent's HP is not displayed at all. all the information you have is the number of pixels in the bar (48 in total) and its colour, which changes based on the remaining HP.

how PS used to have it a while ago was the floor(remainingHP/totalHP*100) or similar, giving a fairly precise amount of information. crucially, this amount of detail is not available ingame.

it was then changed to fractions of 48, which is how you see it on the carts, and appropriately, "percentages" rounded to the nearest 1/48. however, this caused issues due to the rounding such as life orb recoil, sub recoil, and sr damage.

today, a range instead of one value was implemented to show your opponent's hp with the greatest certainty possible with regards to the cart. your opponent's hp will ALWAYS be inside the range displayed and the damage taken will ALWAYS be inside the range.

this is all being currently discussed by the staff of smogon and ps and is a contentious issue. i hope i explained it decently

michael

m as in mancy
what's considered better pokemon online or pokemon shodown or what are the differences?
PS
  • browser based; no DL required
  • greater mechanics accuracy
  • looks better
  • has the smogon tiers and metagames
  • animations

PO
  • disallow spectators
  • less tough on cpu
  • android client
  • quieter chat (if that's your kind of thing)
  • channels
  • a tournament engine
  • less potential lag

I'm sorry to post again so quickly, but are the "viable moves" on a certain Pokemon determined by the staff?

EDIT: On a similar note why is Hidden Power never on the viable moves list?

I'm wondering if it's possible for a custom server to reset their ladder rankings or cause them to decay over time?

PokeCommunity is running either a very old version of Pokemon Showdown, or a version of Pokemon Showdown modified not to display on the main page.

If it's a very old version, update it.

If it's a modified version, well, you modified it not to display on the main page, what do you expect?

edit: it's also possible that something else is preventing the connection, such as a firewall. Does your server have any unusual firewalls?
I just wanted to mention that Cathy already fixed the issue for us, but thanks for replying.

My ranking randomly dropped from 1833 to 1788 on the Doubles VGC '13 ladder, I didn't lose any matches, it was just a drop for no apparent reason. How and why did this happen?

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Tie between Priest Holmes and coplin!
Ladder updating...
Priest Holmes's rating: 1721 → 1684
(-37 for tying)
coplin's rating: 1219 → 1254
(+35 for tying)
So is this a knwn bug or is it supposed to happen?

Seems a little bit [absolutely] ridiculous that you lose points for tying in this simulator...

Also @ Chenkovsky, I think your account might have 'decayed', it's a feature that makes you lose pts for not playing in a while so as to prevent people from sitting on their ladder rank

Hey guys, sorry if this question has been already addressed but every few games or so my ACRE just drops randomly. Is that a feature of decay? For example, I had a rating of 1950 and the next battle I won I only had 1890?

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
So is this a knwn bug or is it supposed to happen?

Seems a little bit [absolutely] ridiculous that you lose points for tying in this simulator...
Why? If you tie against someone who you're expected to win against (because your rating is ~500 points higher than theirs), I think it makes sense to lose points for that. Especially with ~500 point difference, if you don't beat them soundly, your point difference probably shouldn't be that much.

The point of Glicko2 as a rating system is to measure how good you are. It's not about whether or not it's "fair" to lose or gain points in a specific situation, it's only about calculating how good you are.

My ranking randomly dropped from 1833 to 1788 on the Doubles VGC '13 ladder, I didn't lose any matches, it was just a drop for no apparent reason. How and why did this happen?
Hey guys, sorry if this question has been already addressed but every few games or so my ACRE just drops randomly. Is that a feature of decay? For example, I had a rating of 1950 and the next battle I won I only had 1890?
Decay. It happens every 15 battles iirc (or after a period of inactivity)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)