OU Stats - March 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why the hell does the OU usage stats thread, every month, turn into a discussion about Lucario?

Anyways, I'm sort of surprised the Dragonite is seeing such high usage, being #5 in regular and #7 in 1850. Not saying that it isn't good, but its... sorta high maintenance, isn't it? I mean, its Stealth Rock weak, its Speed isn't the best, and it sorta needs all residual damage out of the way to be at its best. It just seems pretty odd that a Pokemon you really need to build around is so high up there, compared to all the ones that can be slapped on a team and perform.
For the same reason it always turns into a discussion of how Infernape sucks (until someone tells everyone to stop, and then it becomes about how Donphan sucks or something).

As for Dragonite, yeah I don't get it either. I mean Multiscale is cool and all, but in my experience against it, it really is a very ho-hum, average Pokemon, and only it's ParaShuffling set has ever given me any troubles.

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
Same here. In BW1, the offensive DD set was the most fearsome set-up sweeper in the meta. Honestly, it snatched #2 usage for quite a while after Excadrill's banning. Made popular by the HO teams with Deoxys S, it didn't drop after the banning, and remained extremely terrifying. Definitely it was the pokemon everyone planned to counter on their teams. However, in BW2, it is a shadow of its former self, imo. Nothing compared to the beast it used to be. The best set nowadays I think is the CB set, which serves as a cool anti-lead and then priority user lategame, while also dealing holes with Banded Outrages. The DD sets are no longer as good as they used to be, so I am also surprised at the high usage. I see Keldeo all the time nowadays, and Dragonite barely, but somehow Dragonite is much higher usage.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Dcae I think has hit the nail on the head. Dragonite was a monster in B/W1, but B/W2 has just provided us with too many threats for Dragonite to ever be as good as it was. Keldeo, Thundurus-T, and other fast scarfers make sure that +1 Dragonite is unlikely to sweep. However, I'm actually starting to see the rain sweeper set popping up on the ladder, running Agility, Thunder, Hurricane, and Surf. I guess people just like using Dragonite (it is a fan favourite after all).

21 | Landorus-Therian | 9.36069% | 75886 | 5.968% | 65848 | 6.443%
This thing needs more usage! It is so amazing with a choice scarf!

| 73 | Gothitelle | 1.58394% | 15769 | 1.240% | 12759 | 1.248% |
I really like this thing... Needs more usage

Can we discuss a little about as to why Starmie is getting more usage than Gengar in the past few months?
Starmie has Rapid Spin.
/discussion

But seriously, that's the root of it. Starmie spins and it does work in rain. Gengar... its decent, but it doesn't pack a ton of punch, nor does it have an important niche like Starmie. The usefulness of Gengar isn't enough to get chosen, I guess.

Starmie has Rapid Spin, Recover, 115 base speed, beats most ghost types even Jellicent if it packs Thunder and is also a nice check to things like Keldeo, Latios, Breloom etc.

dcae

plaza athénée
Yeah, I think the main reason behind the rise of Starmie usage is that it correlates directly with the rise of Keldeo, as Starmie is a nice offensive check that also provides Spin support, making it an attractive option for offensive teams needing a spinner. Also, generally has always been pretty good Rain check. Overall, the meta changes have benefited it.

Wow, Steel types are dominating the metagame. Top 2 are both, and 3 out of the top 5 are.
I'm surprised Jirachi is #7, I haven't seen it that often. But then again, I haven't seen Scizor for a while.

The stats this month aren't too surprising. But this is my first time commenting on them.

| 1 | Scizor | 22.759% |

The King of OU still is the King. It's no surprise that he is the most-used Pokemon in OU, he just has so much going for him.

|15| Keldeo | 10.556%|

Keldeo has sure gone a long way since he first came into the meta. In my experience, this can be one of the most annoying Pokemon in the game once it has a chance to get in. Finding a way to counter or at least check this pony is essential for a good team.

| 20 | Gliscor | 9.597% |
| 21 | Landorus-Therian | 9.308% |

Wait a minute, Gliscor is used more than Lando-T? I almost never see it. I guess it must be more of a newbie thing, because Lando-T is generally better than it at almost everything. Gliscor is more annoying than anything else.

| 16 | Landorus-Therian | 11.63695% | 75886 | 5.968% | 65848 | 6.443% |
| 24 | Gliscor | 9.01919% | 128369 | 10.095% | 101562 | 9.937% |

Well, it might just be a newb thing. Good to see the 1850 crowd sees the benefits of Lando-T more than the general pop.

| 34 | Venusaur | 6.867% |

This is kinda sad for me, having used Venusaur for such a long time. It certainly doesn't deserve to be this low IMHO, since it is a pretty good answer to the Lati twins in the Sun and beats all Politoed sets except Scarf in the rain.

| 39 | Lucario | 6.038% |

I just created a Lucario team a few days ago(you might have seen me as Yang Fang Lieden, with the terrible prediction lol), and Lucario kicks all sorts of butt. People don't seem to know how to play him right. Maybe we need to put that CB Dragonite is great with him for the double ESpeed?

| 44 | Hydreigon | 4.986% |
| 45 | Toxicroak | 4.853% |
| 46 | Hippowdon | 4.577% |
| 47 | Metagross | 4.497% |
| 48 | Gastrodon | 4.457% |
| 49 | Dugtrio | 4.337% |
| 50 | Reuniclus | 4.287% |
| 51 | Haxorus | 4.182% |

The under five crowd is surprising in some aspects, and not in others. Toxicroak and Dugtrio are the surprising ones on this list. Toxicroak may not be the best Pokemon before it has set up, but once it does, you better have a way to stop him because otherwise you are in trouble. Dugtrio is a really good trapper too, but with the Genesect ban people must have stopped using him. Maybe people are tired of one-trick ponies as well. *shrug*

Out of these 8, I think that if Hydreigon were to fall(which is unlikely to say the least, but possible) it would be pretty quickly bumped up to BL. It doesn't have as much to worry about in Speed in UU, since the only Pokemon that outspeeds him that can really handle him is Heracross, and even then it has to be careful not to walk in on a Draco Meteor or a Fire Blast. I think that Hydreigon would be too powerful for UU. Haxorus, not as much, since Bronzong exists and counters him pretty well, and Chandy can switch in on CB-locked Superpowers and get rid of him. Reinculus would spawn a whole new wave of TR teams(which in turn can handle the Haxorus threat), and it would be a very defining part of the metagame in UU.

Dugtrio falling to UU would probably spell the end for Chandy, since it traps and beats it pretty easily. Sub Chandy would probably pop-up. Gastrodon, if it falls, I predict it will fall all the way down to NU. The only reason it stayed up in OU for so long was because it countered rain teams that had no idea what a Ferrothorn was or what HP Grass was. Once rain is taken out of the picture, Gastrodon is simply a mediocre Pokemon. Metagross is pretty powerful, and unfortunately, too many things stop it in OU for it to work, but I think UU will be the right home for it. The hippo is auto-BL.

Toxicroak I think will be the most interesting drop into UU. It would have to drop a lot for that to happen, but it really brings a lot to the table. On one hand, the loss of auto-rain hurts it a bit, as it no longer can recover nearly a Subsitute every turn it is out. On the other hand, being the only non-Fire type in UU that isn't burned by Scald is amazing, as it keeps Blastoise from coming in on you. It is fast enough that it can Sub before Arcanine can Will-O-Wisp it, and then it can just boost up with Swords Dance or Bulk Up. I don't think it would unseat Heracross from its throne as the Fighting type of the tier, but if it did drop, it would be an dangerous Pokemon.

*don't shoot me* Well, this is what I have to say about it. Some of my opinions have probably been said already, and while I am not new to competitive battling(been doing it for about a year and half), I am new to the Smogon forums so I am a little nervous. ^^;

Haxorus, not as much, since Bronzong exists and counters him pretty well, and Chandy can switch in on CB-locked Superpowers and get rid of him.
In what way does Bronzong counter Haxorus? When I used to use Haxorus, it would destroy Bronzong with Earthquake, thanks to Mold Breaker.

Haxorus, not as much, since Bronzong exists and counters him pretty well
252Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Haxorus (+Atk) Earthquake vs 252HP/252Def Bronzong (+Def): 75% - 89% (256 - 302 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
I think not. It gets worse if it's dealing with a DD Haxorus using a Life Orb.
252Atk Life Orb +1 Mold Breaker Haxorus (+Atk) Earthquake vs 252HP/252Def Bronzong (+Def): 98% - 115% (332 - 392 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 90% chance to OHKO.

Haxorus, not as much, since Bronzong exists and counters

Yeah, because Bronzong is so common in OU that Haxorus is completely shut down by it.
Mold Breaker EQ 147 Att + Pathetic usage in OU. I don't know what was your point there.

The best thing for it is Skarmory, and that it too it can't hit back, it can only Whirlwind it out, and after one/several boosts even Skarmory can't safely switch in.

Lowgock

Doyen & Éminence Grise of the German Pokémon Community
is the 3rd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
I think that Hydreigon would be too powerful for UU. Haxorus, not as much, since Bronzong exists and counters him pretty well,

Ah hy

Gastrodon, if it falls, I predict it will fall all the way down to NU. The only reason it stayed up in OU for so long was because it countered rain teams that had no idea what a Ferrothorn was or what HP Grass was. Once rain is taken out of the picture, Gastrodon is simply a mediocre Pokemon.
I disagree with this. Gastrodon is a good pokemon with or without rain. Its the reason swampert is nonexistent in OU and judging n how well swampert is doing in UU, gastrodon will have a happy home their. It has access to recover, an extra immunity and better special attack. Gastrodon is definetly going to be a good pokemon in UU.

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
Actually, the main reasons Swampert isn't around in OU anymore are the presence of Ferrothorn and the hyperoffensive nature of the metagame. It dropped shortly after Thundurus' ban, way back in BW1. That had nothing to do with Gastrodon at all.
In regards to Gastrodon's potential alongside Swampert in UU, it's outclassed by SOMETHING at most of what it tries to do. SDef Roserade works better as a stop to bulky Waters despite the lack of an immunity. Swampert is a better tank overall, since it has better defenses and access to Stealth Rock and Roar. As an all-out attacker, it's decidedly inferior to Kingdra. I'm not certain about NU, but if Gastrodon was to drop, I expect RU would be the highest it would go.

dcae

plaza athénée
Actually, the main reasons Swampert isn't around in OU anymore are the presence of Ferrothorn and the hyperoffensive nature of the metagame. It dropped shortly after Thundurus' ban, way back in BW1. That had nothing to do with Gastrodon at all.
In regards to Gastrodon's potential alongside Swampert in UU, it's outclassed by SOMETHING at most of what it tries to do. SDef Roserade works better as a stop to bulky Waters despite the lack of an immunity. Swampert is a better tank overall, since it has better defenses and access to Stealth Rock and Roar. As an all-out attacker, it's decidedly inferior to Kingdra. I'm not certain about NU, but if Gastrodon was to drop, I expect RU would be the highest it would go.
Completely agree with this, imo Swampert's biggest hit was Ferrothorn, but Gastro, while having excellent recovery, is too status prone and weak to cut it in UU, where it will be outclassed by Swampert or something else, such as the aforementioned Roserade. RU is where I expect Gastro would lie.

Gastrodon is really toe on toe with most UU pokemon. I expect gastrodon to be running physically defensive sets because while swampert is bulkier, Gastrodon's access to recover and storm drain are major boons because gastrodon has recovery and an extra immunity. Gastrodon also has access to a more powerful scald and ice beam over swampert. Over roserade, recover again is a neat toy it has over it and its resistence to fire is very important in the fire dominant metagame. Its going to be a top tier uu pokemon IMO.

i have to say, i'm surprised that bronzong's usage hasn't risen significantly as it checks/counters all variants of landorus very well as well as a few other prominent threats like terrakion, garchomp and latios.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
i have to say, i'm surprised that bronzong's usage hasn't risen significantly as it checks/counters all variants of landorus very well as well as a few other prominent threats like terrakion, garchomp and latios.
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 92+ SpD Bronzong: 164-194 (48.52 - 57.39%) -- 96.09% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

While it is true that Bronzong is a fantastic "hard check" to Landorus, since he'll have to be Modest, predict the switch, and hit two Focus Blasts in a row, Bronzong can't really be considered a counter since this set has a high chance of 2HKOing. It's also important to remember that Bronzong has no recovery, so even a little prior damage will screw you over. Even if it doesn't, you could have just majorly weakened your only Dragon check. Not saying Bronzong isn't fantastic, it's just that he should be used more as a check to dissuade the user of Landorus from RPing and trying to sweep.

precisely - which is why i was careful not to explicitly say that bronzong is a hard counter to landorus.

On the whole gastrodon thing, I'd say Gastrodon is like the Porygon2 of DPP metagame: useful with some support in OU, but far worse off in it's actual tier. The difference being that P2 was always underrated (could beat almost all dragons + gyarados) whilst Gastrodon pretty much is OU thanks to being able to beat Keldeo (I think?) and most rain-sweepers, coupled with the ability to 'check' (god, how I hate that word in this metagame) dragons from weatherless teams.

Also both are reliant on their abilities (Trace/Storm Drain) and are highly predictable in their movesets except for maybe a single move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)