Rental Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who else loves the Rental challenges?! For me they are so much fun because I can pick up and play for a little bit and have no idea what is in store for me. Although building a team in-game can be fun, sometimes its nice that in Rental challenges I don't need to breed, EV train, and level up my guys. Yes, you can just go on Showdown and have access to any pokemon you want, but this is just another flavor of battling.

I would LOVE to see a battle simulator that takes after the Rental Challenge. You and your opponent agree upon Singles, Doubles, Triples, Rotation, and Ubers, OU, UU, RU/NU, LC. Let's say 9 pokemon are randomly selected from the huge database of Smogon's moveset analyses (everything is already conveniently categorized) and you must select your 6. You are forced to come up with a strategy on the fly using only the tools available to you. You might think that it would make things too difficult, but your opponent would be operating under the same circumstances. It would be very important to pay attention to what items your pokemon are holding, how they are EV trained, and what possible synergies or weaknesses your can identify. No two battles would ever be the same.

I am not sure if something like this would be possible to create, but if so, would there be any interest? Its not really the type of thing you could sit down and discuss a strategy about, but heaven help me I would be playing it for hours on end. :)

There is Random Battles on Showdown. They give you a team of six random, ev-trained pokemon
And they give you crap more often then not. What I think he is suggesting is have teams of 9, you pick 6, and the pokemon all be fairly good and stuff like that. I would like to see this as well (maybe even just copy it directly from the games for less work).

How about making it so that you have one set for all Pokemon, ala Pokemon Stadium? Niche moves like Rapid Spin and Stealth Rock being on only a handful of mons could be really interesting.

How about making it so that you have one set for all Pokemon, ala Pokemon Stadium? Niche moves like Rapid Spin and Stealth Rock being on only a handful of mons could be really interesting.
You mean like how the crappy and unevolved Pokemon had good movesets and the fully evolved and legendaries had crap movesets? lol Rock Smash Zapdos.

You mean like how the crappy and unevolved Pokemon had good movesets and the fully evolved and legendaries had crap movesets? lol Rock Smash Zapdos.
Well, I meant all fully evolved pokemon :P

I meant perhaps leaving high demand moves such as Stealth rock with Pokemon like Aerodactyl or Rapid Spin with Cryogonal, to give lesser used mons an incentive to be used. Both are perfectly capable mons, but have some shortcomings.

No Egg Bomb Chanseys, hehehe

Well, I meant all fully evolved pokemon :P

I meant perhaps leaving high demand moves such as Stealth rock with Pokemon like Aerodactyl or Rapid Spin with Cryogonal, to give lesser used mons an incentive to be used. Both are perfectly capable mons, but have some shortcomings.

No Egg Bomb Chanseys, hehehe
Exactly! Its similar to how often Ninetails and Politoed were used prior to the release of their new abilities. The Rentals Challenge would force the trainer to ask some difficult questions.
"One of the pokemon that I was randomly given to choose from has Spikes! Can I come up with a passable supporting team from the other choices that I have? "
"Is it worth it to select the Life Orb Nidoking if it means everyone on my team is weak to water?"

To me it is an experience unique to Rental Challenges that I cannot replicate anywhere else with more satisfactory pokemon + movesets

Exactly! Its similar to how often Ninetails and Politoed were used prior to the release of their new abilities. The Rentals Challenge would force the trainer to ask some difficult questions.
"One of the pokemon that I was randomly given to choose from has Spikes! Can I come up with a passable supporting team from the other choices that I have? "
"Is it worth it to select the Life Orb Nidoking if it means everyone on my team is weak to water?"

To me it is an experience unique to Rental Challenges that I cannot replicate anywhere else with more satisfactory pokemon + movesets
Although I think perhaps it'd be better if you could choose your Pokemon, like in Stadium.

Unless you're going for the PBR way, which presented both players with 12 pokemon, and they chose their teams from them.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Because this thread deals more with competitive battling/PS feature suggestion than discussion of the Battle Factory/PWT, I'm going to move this to the Suggestion Box. Supermods, move this somewhere else as you see fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)