NU Stats - April 2013 (now with 1850 stats!)

So Golurk takes over as the King of NU. Interesting.
I honestly expected Grumpig and Hypno to rise, as they are the best counters to Jynx and can decently stop Primeape.

Anyways the Top 10 looks pretty good outside of Armaldo and Gardevoir who probably shouldn't be in there. Swagger Liepard is still way too high, but hoping the 1850 stats while clear some of this up.
Gardevoir is probably out of place, but most teams like having a spinner. Armaldo may not be great, but he's the best general-purpose spinner we have. I wish RU would give us some more. But who am I kidding? If it has Rapid Spin, it has usage*.

*Unless it's called Delibird or Spinda.

So Golurk takes over as the King of NU. Interesting.
I honestly expected Grumpig and Hypno to rise, as they are the best counters to Jynx and can decently stop Primeape.
Grumpig is much better than hypno. Imo, hypno doesn't deserve to rise since he is subpar in other roles.
Magmar is a much better jynx counter and actually threatens it with lava plume instead of a weak uninvested shadow ball.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
magmar is weak to stealth rocks and takes huge damage from jynx's psychic or psyshock. it needs maximum investment to avoid the 2hko from either move after hazard damage and doesn't have leftovers to heal off chip damage as well. grumpig, on the other hand, resists all of jynx's common moves and can use the combination of rest, sleep talk, and heal bell to stall jynx to death. although it can't do as much damage to jynx as magmar can, psyshock still does over thirty percent, which is more than enough to wear down jynx's life orb 3 attacks set, which is by far its most dangerous one.

with that being said, both magmar and grumpig are very situational counters to jynx. i don't think either of them or hypno deserves to have increased usage simply because they can counter one significant threat.

| 1 | Golurk | 18.06659%

Golurk leading the tier is no surprise. It has been really good in NU for quite a while, but I doubt he'll stay in the top spot for long 'cause more Pokemon that threaten Golurk are getting used more. Nonetheless, Golurk is still pretty damn good, and it deserves the Number One spot.

| 3 | Primeape | 15.41348%
| 4 | Scolipede | 14.60165%
| 8 | Jynx | 11.51539% |

The drops have found their place in NU, though I'm quite surprised that Gardevoir has surpassed Jynx in the usage statistics as Jynx has proved to be the better Psychic in terms of offense and even versitality. Primeape above Scolipede surprised me a little, as I haven't seen Primeape as often as I've seen Scolipede. Though, I'm not going to complain.

| 21 | Miltank | 7.75123%
| 22 | Kangaskhan | 7.17102%

Miltank has been above Kangaskhan in terms of usage for as long as BW NU has been born. Miltank is not as useful as Kangaskhan imo, and they should change places if anything (though it wouldn't make a difference, lol).

| 35 | Weezing | 5.44364% |

I honestly think Weezing should be used a bit more; it should be mid-late 20s imo. It's not as versatile as Misdreavus, though it is much more physically bulky and isn't a bad choice of a Pokemon at all.

| 17 | Braviary | 8.74565%
| 24 | Swellow | 7.03521%

Swellow is slowly climbing higher in the usage stats. I wonder if it will overtake Braviary anytime soon.

| 41| Carracosta |4.92836% |
| 47| Serperior | 4.29052% |
| 57| Zebstrika | 3.62330% |
| 68 | Metang | 2.87178% |

These four Pokemon are really underrated. Carracosta should be early-mid 20s if anything, it's really good in this meta. Serperior is a decent choice if you want a fast Grass type in your team, and it performs well in this meta simply by outspeeding certain offensive Pokemon and hitting the offensive drops hard. Zebstrika @ 57 lolwut? I think it even dropped in usage. Metang took a massive fall as well, being PU once again even though it's usefull in the current metagame.

Hopefully the 1850 stats show the accurate condition of the metagame, because a lot of Pokemon are not getting the usage they deserve.

| 1 | Golurk | 18.06659% | 25193 | 15.578% | 21776 | 16.518% |

So, Golurk's the new king, huh? In all my battles on PS, I haven't even seen a single Golurk. Quite a surprise, but a nice one.

| 4 | Scolipede | 14.60165% | 18470 | 11.421% | 15204 | 11.533% |

Not surprised by this at all. Scolipede is a great mon! ^^

| 8 | Jynx | 11.51539% | 14905 | 9.216% | 11355 | 8.613% |
| 10 | Misdreavus | 10.75373% | 13319 | 8.236% | 11142 | 8.452% |

Wow, I thought these guys would be in the Top 5. Hmmm....

| 20 | Samurott | 8.20195% | 10954 | 6.773% | 8738 | 6.628% |

Such a shame to see this guy so low. He's gone down since last month, too. Samurott is still a really good mon.

| 57 | Zebstrika | 3.62330% | 5217 | 3.226% | 4227 | 3.206% |

This guy isn't too bad in this meta and should see more usage. He's very fast in conjunction with Primeape and his Choice Specs set provides I nice kick.

I wonder, why Skuntank is still so high...? I remember last round, I literally couldn't make a team without him, since he was the best check to Psychic types, who dominated the meta back then. Now, since just Scolipede's mere presence on the tier scares them away, honestly I don't see many reasons to use him anymore... At least, he shouldn't be so high.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Skuntank is still so high due to his usage not decreasing all that much from the previous month, though some people do like his priority and chip damage via Aftermath. It's also the reason why Garde > Jynx in usage.

shnen

שוני
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Skuntank is still so high due to his usage not decreasing all that much from the previous month, though some people do like his priority and chip damage via Aftermath. It's also the reason why Garde > Jynx in usage.
what a truistic post
(safety wink)

I know I still use Skuntank because of priority, which was saved me many a time against a CCing Pinsir, Aftermath, and it ability to trap Psychic types well enough. It does have to fear a couple such as Gardevoir, but Gard is usually beaten by my Beheeyem.

*laments about Beheeyem being so low*

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
1850 stats and 1850 vs regular stats are up y'all. I've edited it into the first post, thanks to Antar for getting them up. Discuss!

(I actually will reply soon to these ones as they please me.)

Punchshroom

| 1 | Scolipede | 28.07431% | 18470 | 11.421% | 15204 | 11.533% |
| 2 | Primeape | 24.29240% | 20076 | 12.414% | 16296 | 12.361% |
| 3 | Jynx | 23.05013% | 14905 | 9.216% | 11355 | 8.613% |
| 4 | Golurk | 20.69401% | 25193 | 15.578% | 21776 | 16.518% |

What'd I tell you? Golurk was only at the top because the other three had some catching up to do. These are the true stats to show who rules the roost, though I expected Jynx to be higher than Primeape due to her insane threat level (Primeape's cool too though).

| 5 | Misdreavus | 19.89627% | 13319 | 8.236% | 11142 | 8.452% |
Missy had truly proven herself now, to think she used to linger around at the 20s.

NU stats: | 22 | Kangaskhan | 7.17102% | 9351 | 5.782% | 7823 | 5.934% |
1850 stats: | 12 | Kangaskhan | 13.85490% | 9351 | 5.782% | 7823 | 5.934% |
The advent of this more offensive metagame is doing wonders for Kanga.

I'm a little surprised that the three "good" drops are ahead of everything else by a good margin while Munchlax is technically PU lol but then again I'm not surprised. However, Munchlax's strength is walling elemental attackers and such, which are destroyed by Scolipede, Primeape, and Jynx, so things like Exeggutor aren't as good anymore because they mollywhop it. I also thought Jynx would be ahead of Primeape. I actually expected Primeape to be around 6 or 7, but the drops alone (again, not including Munchlax lol) made the meta faster, especially looking at the insane usage all 3 of them are getting.

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
These stats are much, much better. With Jynx being closer to the top and crap like Armaldo being used less. I still cannot fathom Liepard being that high, but w/e not like 1850 is hard to get to. It would be nice to see a 1850 move usage stats, because at least that wouldn't have Lovely Kiss on Jynx being used only 71% of the time, which is ridiculously stupid silly.

EDIT: Liepard's disruptive capabilities with Prankster Encore is nice, but let's face it: the ladder is only really using the Swagger set. It's a really bad set and makes Liepard look like a terrible Pokemon. Only set I would consider using on Liepard is Sweet Jesus's Sucker Punch / Encore / U-turn / Night Slash set, but it still doesn't deserve to be that high.

[00:46] <ebeast> !usage liepard moves
[00:46] <TIBot> Substitute 71.249% | Foul Play 71.227% | Thunder Wave 68.921% | Swagger 65.819% | Encore 37.304% | Dark Pulse 15.492% | Nasty Plot 12.801% | U-turn 11.408% | Taunt 11.034% | Rain Dance 8.952% | Hidden Power Fighting 4.784% | Sunny Day 3.804% | Other 17.205%

Encore is only used 37% of the time lol wtf. That is even worse than Lovely Kiss only being used 71% of the time. HALP. If you're going to use Liepard at least use its best move. Oh and don't use Swagger cause that set is the bad.frs

Punchshroom

Liepard still deserves to be that high due to his disruptive capabilities, but I agree that he is less viable now due to the fact that faster pokes are seeing more usage and setup mons aren't as common as they were before. Forcing out Adamant SmashCosta, SD/Sub Scolipede, SubPlot Jynx and SubCM Serperior among others is still neat though.

I think the reason Lovely Kiss isn't used on all Jynx is because Scarf Jynx is amazing, so those use Lovely Kiss less often. But yeah 71% is still pretty baffling.

Edit: Yeah, what EBeasst said. Don't give Liepard a bad name people. I still use Swagger though so Foul Play hits stuff but I don't pair it with T-Wave cos' that shit be useless when compared with wonderful Encore.

I still think we need to wait until next month to get accurate stats. The new drops were experimented with mainly by better players who keep up with tier changes and meta shifts. Even I tried out Primeape and Jynx for a hundred matches or so before moving on from them, and I didn't even use them for most of my alts that got to 1850-ish. April was all about experimentation. This months' stats should say far more than these 1850 stats.

Pseudo-Edit: Mad props to Seedot and Lotad for getting second-to-last and last respectively. My favorite version-exclusive pair, but the worst of NU. Turns out the pros actually use Budew and Paras more than Seedot.

Also SubPlot Jynx has not much use for Lovely Kiss if she wants to utilize her dual STAB.

Ridiculous. Obvious, but ridiculous.

@Infernis: Talking about bad mons, Ralts is used more often than Kirlia in the 1850 stats.

Also, there is NO reason not to use Scolipede. Scolipede is just that good there are very few reasons not to include it on your team. Even as a suicide spike layer, the thing can hardly ever be stopped.

That's THE real top-3. Scolipede is without a doubt the best pokémon in the tier thanks to the unpredictability of his sets, his speed, his type and is good movepool.
As Punch said, i expected Jynx to be 2nd and Primeape 3rd too, but that's only the first month that they are in the tier.

| 4 | Golurk | 20.69401% | 25193 | 15.578% | 21776 | 16.518% |
| 5 | Misdreavus | 19.89627% | 13319 | 8.236% | 11142 | 8.452% |

Finally the two best Ghost-Type of the tier are in their true position. Golurk is a good tank and SR setter, while Missy is an awesome wall thanks to will-o and a pretty fast Taunt for a wall.

| 9 | Musharna | 15.59381% | 12852 | 7.947% | 9937 | 7.538% |

I'm curious to see the moveset stat of her, but i think that the Pivot set is more suitable in this metagame since Skuntank and Liepard are very high in the stat and Scolipede is the first threat to looking for when you build a team.

| 19 | Armaldo | 8.61677% | 18170 | 11.235% | 15266 | 11.580% |

Finally some justice ! To be honest, i think that Torkoal would be at least near Armaldo in usage since Fire-Type are good in this meta and SmashKoal is awesome to use asd

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Gonna talk more in-depth about the 1850 stats in the NUcast, but one thing I'd like to point out is:

|Lapras | -2.03197% |
|Armaldo | -2.19904% |
|Basculin | -2.23263% |
|Wartortle | -2.40599% |
|Charizard | -2.61720% |

These are all the Pokemon that have 2% less usage in the 1850 stats than the normal stats. Wartortle and Armaldo are to be expected, as the general opinion of them is "they aren't that good". Basculin and Lapras are meh in general, barely above the 3.41% PU cutoff in the normal stats and ~1.5% usage in the 1850. However, the largest surprise to me is that Charizard has the largest drop of all. I'm of the opinion that if you can keep SR off the field (or even don't, in the case of Blaze Scarf Charizard), then zard is a great anti-meta Pokemon by virtue of its excellent offensive typing, its 100 base speed (outspeeds the 95s) and its great power. Even if you don't want to run a spinner alongside it, it gets Roost to heal off that damage on free turns (since again, it forces switches pretty easily).

Punchshroom

I find it odd as well, I've been using Charizard to great success, absolutely screwing over the Will-o-Wispers in Weezing and Misdreavus with powerful Fire Blasts and dodging super effective blows from the ocassional Thunderbolt with Roost, which also helps it play around their Pain Splits as well. Slower mons that do not resist Fire have a hell of a time dealing with Charizard's power and coverage. While Charizard is heavily weak to Stealth Rock, most of its checks in Altaria, Mantine and Flareon are also weak to them, so Charizard can still fight on even footing even with 50% of its health shaved off. If one can be crafty about it, Charizard can even use Stealth Rock to its advantage by edging itself into Blaze Range, which boosts the power of its Fire Blasts to astronomical levels, though it usually means being KOed right after by LO, if not a revenge killer's/survivor's attack. Of course, who can forget Solar Power, which fries pretty much everything that doesn't resist Fire and have high special bulk. On occasion, Charizard can use Choice Scarf, Dragon Dance or Tailwind to get the drop on the metagame's faster foes, which will succumb to Charizard's power much more easily than its regular targets.

Has it been already mentioned that this metagame has become somewhat Fire / Flying weak? Charizard getting STAB on both means if he gets an opportunity to attack, chances are something will get scorched/blown off the face of the planet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)