Riolu Sweep

*RIOLU SWEEP*

Recently, I have found out that Riolu is probably the best OU Pokemon to date. Sure it requires to know your timing and it does have it's counters, but if done right, this team is the most annoying thing you will go up against, and if you aren't prepared for it, you will be able to mark getting swept by a fluffy dog in your bucket list. Due to Riolu's Dream World ability, Riolu is probably the most valuable OU Pokemon to date, and one of the best abusers of this ability.

Riolu
Prankster @ Eviolite
Moves:
-Copycat
-Roar
-Protect
-Crunch
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe

As I have said before, this team is based around Riolu. He isn't supposed to be the opening Pokemon of this team though. Lay down entry hazards, then send out this Pokemon at the right moment and you can have a hay day. Roar has a negative priority, so you have to let one of your guys die and then use Roar at the right opportunity, preferably when your opponent is setting up. Since Roar has a negative priority, it will be the move that was used last, so due to Prankster, when you use priority Copycat, Roar will be used and because of the set up you have (hopefully) done before with SR and Spikes, you can quite potentially sweep the entire enemy team by Roaring. Drain Punch and Crunch are mostly filler moves, and are used if run out of PP and so he can deal some damage.

Ferrothorn
Iron Barbs @ Rocky Helmet
Moves:
-Gyro Ball
-Spikes
-Thunder Wave
-Power Whip
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

Ferrothorn is one of the best options for this team, as he is one of the bulkiest and comes with a great ability in Iron Barbs and Rocky Helmet makes attacking this guy very daunting. Thunder Wave is used to cripple the enemy, while Power Whip can deal some damage until Ferrothorn's duty is done and he is dead.

Jellicent
Cursed Body @ Leftovers
Moves:
-Scald/Surf
-Will-O-Wisp/Toxic
-Recover
-Taunt
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe

As pointed out by scorpdestroyer, Jellicent would suit my needs more. I have never used Jellicent, but after looking at his movepool, I find myself wondering why I never have. Jellicent comes with a great movepool and fantastic special defense. Scald is a great option because of a chance to burn, plus STAB power. Taunt prevents anyone from losing your Riolu to a status condition or phazed out while Recover just gives him a recovery option.

Latias
Levitate @ Leftovers
Moves:
-Calm Mind
-Roost
-Dragon Pulse
-Substitute
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

I chose Donphan to be another one of my set up Pokemon, it may not come with Spikes, but it does come with a great potential to deal out some hits as well. Rapid Spin is one of the things that makes Donphan famous and he hits hard with it. Donphan also was blessed with a great coverage priority move in Ice Shard. Superpower is filler, and can take out opposing ice types.

Forretress
Sturdy @ Leftovers
Moves:
-Rapid Spin
-Stealth Rock
-Spikes
-Volt Switch

Forretress is probably one of the best set up Pokemon in history. It is blessed with a fantastic typing, a great movepool, and access to Volt Switch. Volt Switch is what makes Ferrothorn fit this team perfectly. He can set up the team with Stealth Rock and Spikes, and due to low speed, can Volt Switch into Riolu without him getting harmed. Rapid Spin getting rid of hostile entry hazards.

Blissey
Natural Cure @ Leftovers
Moves:
-Wish
-Seismic Toss
-Heal Bell
-Protect

Blissey is another great option for this team being one of the bulkiest Pokemon in today's current Metagame. Aromatherapy can cure your entire teams status problems. Wish and Protect allows for self healing, and also lets you bring in a Pokemon while giving them some health back with Wish. Seismic Toss allows Blissey to dish out some damage as well.​

Here is the importable for the team for anyone who wants to try it out
Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Power Whip
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Thunder Wave

Riolu @ Eviolite
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spd
Impish Nature
- Copycat
- Roar
- Protect
- Crunch

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Trait: Cursed Body
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Roost
- Substitute

Forretress @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect
- Seismic Toss
Now I know this team requires a lot of timing and anticipating, but if pulled off right, you can sweep a team with a little puppy dog. Many of these Pokemon were given other options to fend off threats just in case something does happen to your fluffy puppy.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hello,

Firstly, your team has no synergy between one another and you've just thrown together a bunch of hazard Pokemon with Riolu. In reality, a Riolu team needs a way to deal with users of priority and protect, set up hazards and clean end game.

I suggest you change your Riolu's EV spread to 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe. This gives you just enough speed to outrun Scizor so you can Roar it out before it uses Bullet Punch to stop your Roar chain. I also suggest Protect over Drain Punch, allowing Riolu to Protect against a Taunt before a roar chain starts and Copycat it back, preventing further Taunts and allowing you to start a roar chain, but this is optional.

Having multiple uses of hazards is not a good idea. While having multiple Spikes users is fine, multiple Stealth Rock users are redundant because only one layer is required and more often than not, the moveslot will be wasted on some Pokemon. Hence I suggest you remove Stealth Rock from everyone except Forretress. Some of your Pokemon are a little out of place but I'll address them one by one

Firstly, since Stealth Rock now belongs to Forretress, I suggest you replace that move on Ferrothorn with Power Whip. This helps prevent Ferro from being Taunt bait and deals heavy damage once youre done setting up.

This is optional but you might want to consider Hidden Power Ice and a Relaxed Nature on Forretress to deal with physical Dragons such as Salamence and Garchomp.

I don't see what Skarmory does for the team, since Forretress can already tank physical hits pretty well. Hence, I recommend replacing it with a Breloom counter such as Sub CM Latias. Breloom is a problematic Pokemon to your chain, with Mach Punch being able to stop it as well as powerful moves such as Spore and Bullet Seed. However Latias resists both of Breloom's moves and can outspeed and use Breloom as setup fodder. It also is a great check to sun teams because you are currently very weak to them. Plus, it has good synergy with Blissey and can function as a late game cleaner.

Donphan doesn't provide much since its role is pretty much the same as Forretress. I recommend you replace it and fill that slot up with a spinblocker such as Jellicent. Jellicent synergises with the team very well and is a great counter to Volcarona, which otherwise sweeps your entire team. Jellicent also blocks the attempts of Pokemon to Rapid Spin and can burn physical threats with Will-o-Wisp.

Finally, your Blissey set is good but I recommend replacing Stealth Rock and Softboiled for Wish and Protect. The Wish Protect combo ensures that Blissey can still heal itself, and can even pass wishes around to its teammates, especially Riolu, to alleviate passive damage. Finally, I recommend replacing Toxic with Seismic Toss. Toxic isn't a very good option considering Ferro and Jellicent are spreading status, plus when you Roar things around, the damage the opponents take from Toxic is minimal and is best not to mess with a better status like burn or paralysis. Seismic Toss allows you to knock off some HP from the opponents before or after Riolu's roar chain and prevents you from being setup bait on substitute Pokemon.

Good luck, hope I helped!

Wow thanks for the feedback that is very helpful thank you ^_^
I will try it out right away and yeah after looking at it, the multiple SR users was very redundant

also ferrothorn already has power whip do you mean gyro ball?

also blissey isn't allowed to learn wish with aromatherapy, because aromatherapy is an egg move and wish is a move only done through event for it

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
Well, your importable said it had Leech Seed over Power Whip. Run both at te same time because Leech Seed lets Riolu get recovery and force switches.

For the Aromatherapy move legality issues, just replace Aromaterapy with Heal Bell and there shouldn't be a problem

Also, I forgot to add that Substitute should be used on Riolu to protect it from status before it starts the roar chain

alright i tried it out
only problem i have found with this team is the annoying amount of donphan out there.
I am thinking of using a Wobbuffet, but i do not know which member to replace

Okay, first I did some testing and I really like this team. You have to spikers, Forretress and Ferrothorn, a bulky spinblocker, Jellicent, two special walls, Blissey and Latias, to cover Ferro and Forres special weaknesses. And then there is your core Riolu. Alright, I'll start with the physical changes I think should be made to this team.

You need Focus Sash over Eviolite on Riolu. Even with Eviolite he has 40/60/60 defenses and he is OHKO by just about every move. With a sash he's guaranteed to get going. Take a look at this replay and I think you'll see what I'm saying: http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-ou-17287285
Also when you do this change EVs to 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Speed

For this team I think you should replace Forretress for Skarmory. First of all, Forretress and Ferrothorn generally aren't the best option together, you're just compounding that 4x weakness to fire. (Anyways are you really concerned about spinning hazards away?) Also skarmory can use whirlwind, taking advantage of those hazards, decreasing your dependence on Riolu. Here is my recommended set.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock/Brave Bird
- Whirlwind
- Roost

I'm concerned with your reliance on Riolu, I've played a team with 4 priority abusers and I don't know who this team would deal with something like this.
Two Options:

1. Add a trapper and hope they don't have more than 2 priority abusers.
You need a way to reliably remove priority from the field. Here's my idea, lure them in after you set hazards with Riolu then immediately switch to your trapper and kill them.

2. Less dependence on Riolu, make your team more of a stall team, forcing switches rather than roaring them.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
No, I think you should keep Forretress not just because of Rapid Spin but also because a slow Volt Switch allows you to bring in Riolu safely, because Riolu can hardly take a hit. If you really want Skarm, I think Ferrothorn should go instead. I would still prefer an Eviolite because with a Sash, Tyranitar and Hippowdon pretty much destroy you and with a hazards centric metagame, you can't guarantee your sash will be up.

Donphan isn't a problem because it's outsped by Riolu and Jellicent beats it pretty well.

Yeah I see what you're saying, if you were really concerned about Riolu getting a safe switch you could replace Blissey with Umbreon with Foul Play, Protect, Wish and Baton Pass, that way it could get Riolu in safely and restore health if you need to. Otherwise you could just switch in on the opponent when he tries to set up hazards or raise it's stats. I didn't think about sandstorm or hail. You bring up a really good point. Eviolite Riolu is still very frail but I guess it depends on your preferance.

Alright, I think I am going to go for a compromise. To take care of weather issues, I am going to trap their weather starter with wobbuffet (replacing latias as it is kind of an oddball on the team anyways) and then replace Taunt on Jellicent for Rain Dance to get rid of the weather. So, that way I can use a sash riolu, and ensure he is safe. and i will be keeping ferrothorn, as i agree the slow volt switch has a safer switch in. Jellicent also taking care of spinners. But, if they aren't using any weather starters (that don't cause hostile weather such as Hail and Sandstorm) Wobbuffet will be solely for taking out spinners. If there are neither, I will use Wobbuffet for taking out their bulkiest Pokemon.

Thoughts before I change it

Wobby is a bad idea to use for taking out weather starters, because politoed has toxic, ninetales has will o wisp, Abomasnow is usually either mixed or has leech seed, and Ttar a lot of times has stealth rock to stall until you switch and dragon tail to phaze you out. Also, I don't know what weather issues you'll be taking care of in the first place, because once they're in their weather is up, it's up, and you don't have any weather of your own to do anything about it. You might consider putting rain dance somewhere, to counter sandstorm and hail--then trapping the weather starter makes sense, though again, IMO the trapping thing isn't very reliable.

I really think a spinner and a sash on Riolu is important, so I'd definitely keep Forretress so you can spin and then volt switch to Riolu before hazards get up again (or just direct switch if you fear they will be set up on the turn you volt switch). Really, Riolu even with eviolite won't be taking much well, and it has to survive at least one turn in order to roar. If you can take care of weather, all you need is for Forry to spin 'n' switch, and you have a sashed Riolu ready to sweep.

Wobby is a bad idea to use for taking out weather starters, because politoed has toxic, ninetales has will o wisp, Abomasnow is usually either mixed or has leech seed, and Ttar a lot of times has stealth rock to stall until you switch and dragon tail to phaze you out. Also, I don't know what weather issues you'll be taking care of in the first place, because once they're in their weather is up, it's up, and you don't have any weather of your own to do anything about it. You might consider putting rain dance somewhere, to counter sandstorm and hail--then trapping the weather starter makes sense, though again, IMO the trapping thing isn't very reliable.

I really think a spinner and a sash on Riolu is important, so I'd definitely keep Forretress so you can spin and then volt switch to Riolu before hazards get up again (or just direct switch if you fear they will be set up on the turn you volt switch). Really, Riolu even with eviolite won't be taking much well, and it has to survive at least one turn in order to roar. If you can take care of weather, all you need is for Forry to spin 'n' switch, and you have a sashed Riolu ready to sweep.
....you do realize that destiny bond is what i am going to use for wobbuffet right?
encore+destiny bond...all i need

....you do realize that destiny bond is what i am going to use for wobbuffet right?
encore+destiny bond...all i need
After you switch Wobbuffet in, they're going to outspeed and toxic (Politoed), burn (Ninetales), or leech seed (Abomasnow) you, and then keep doing that over and over until you die. (And Tyranitar will just dragon tail you, or PP stall you out by doing stealth rock over and over.) If they never actually hit you, destiny bond will never actually work.

But even if it actually could/did work, it certainly wouldn't be "all you need" since as I also mentioned, the weather will still be up. No point in killing the weather starter if you can't also change the weather.

After you switch Wobbuffet in, they're going to outspeed and toxic (Politoed), burn (Ninetales), or leech seed (Abomasnow) you, and then keep doing that over and over until you die. (And Tyranitar will just dragon tail you, or PP stall you out by doing stealth rock over and over.) If they never actually hit you, destiny bond will never actually work.

But even if it actually could/did work, it certainly wouldn't be "all you need" since as I also mentioned, the weather will still be up. No point in killing the weather starter if you can't also change the weather.
if you read the post earlier up, to get rid of the weather, i would teach jellicent rain dance

if you read the post earlier up, to get rid of the weather, i would teach jellicent rain dance
Alright, well that's probably a good idea. But I still think you should look for a better option than Wobby. All you really need to worry about is tar and Abomasnow, honestly, so you might consider something like choice band multiscale dnite with fire punch and superpower. You may not be able to trap stuff, but when weather teams don't see another auto weather starter on the other team they tend to play more recklessly with their own weather starter.

Alright, I came up with a better idea
how about a bulky Shadow Tag Chandelure with Destiny Bond and Sunny Day to trap, take out weather starers, and clear up the (hostile) weather?

Shadow tag is unreleased for Chandelure, and chandy would still lose against Tyranitar. Also, you haven't changed Latias' description yet. And about your T-tar problem... Maybe you can switch blissey out... IDK right now... I'll post when something comes to mind.

Pretty sure I just played against this team or someone else using it. Needless to say its annoying once Rilou can start spamming roar, my Scizor got parafused to death and when Rilou finally died all I had left was a Jellicent. Was a close game, and like I said an annoying team to face. :|

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)