Xfing's Team #1

Hello there, guys. I have been reading the Smogon pages a lot for like a year or so. I have been playing pokemon since long before that, and I'm a huge fan. I decided to enter the competitive scene three days ago, and I've played about 180 matches on Poke Online since then, and now about 46 on Showdown. Even though I'm a complete noob, I've seen quite a bit of success with the team I'm posting. I do realize it has its shortcomings, and sometimes I find myself losing with 4 or 5 Pokes remaining on the opposing team, but then on the other hand, sometimes the situation's opposite.

The team isn't themed, it doesn't really have a focus, I have to admit it's a pretty random collection of Pokemon, just ones that I found particularly interesting when reading Smogon's strategy guides for them. So here goes:

TEAM STATE AS OF JUNE 16th, 2013

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 SpD
Impish Nature
~ Brave Bird
~ Whirlwind
~ Spikes
~ Roost

This Skarmory is a fake lead, physical wall and attacker. I don't use it to lay Spikes nearly as much as I should, and I have yet to explore the merits of Whirlwind. But this bird can take any physical attack from even the mightiest hitters for little more than 30% of damage. I have also found myself bravebirding guys like Conkeldurr, Keldeo and Breloom a lot, and it works wonders. The only downside is that Skarmory is rather slow and not too good at taking special attacks. Sturdy helps remedy this, though, so it can lay at least one layer of spikes in the most unfavorable situation. And more often than not, it takes around 75% from Fire and Electric attacks.

Dragonite (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
~ Dragon Claw Outrage
~ Dragon Dance
~ Fire Punch Earthquake Superpower
~ Extremespeed

While I think Dragonite is probably the weakest link in my team, he's the prime revenge killer with Extremespeed. I used to have Roost there, but overall the usefulness of Extremespeed has helped me much more, being able to revenge kill practically everything that doesn't use Sucker Punch (and I haven't run into many users at all). Dragonite is also an indispensable Scizor check, with Fire Punch guaranteeing a KO and his physical bulk being able to shrug off Swords Dance Bullet Punches with only around 35% damage. Dragon Dance + Dragon Claw is the primary neutral attack, but I rarely get to boost up, so I mostly use fresh Dragon Claw, which does 35-50% damage to almost anything. People also tend to Toxic this Dragonite a lot, so even if he sets up, there's not much chance to do any damage. After experimenting with F-Punch and Superpower, I decided to go for a more survivable Dancer set. The Life Orb did pack a punch, but Dragonite's longevity was pathetic, and he rarely took down a single mon before dying. I'm gonna try a Dance set with Superpower to see how it goes.

Mamoswine (M)
@ Focus Sash
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Jolly Nature
~ Earthquake
~ Ice Shard
~ Endeavor
~ Stealth Rock

This guy is my SR setter, although I don't use it half as much as I should. I open with him if I predict that someone will open with a pokemon weak to Ice. Ice Shard is the remedy for all my Garchomp, Gliscor, Flygon and Dragonite problems, while Earthquake works wonders on Tyranitar, Jirachi and Heatran. If someone's faster, FEAR becomes a viable strategy, but I usually prefer to withdraw afterwards anyway. Overall, Mamoswine is one of the shorter lasting Pokes in my party, but he's always sure to do his share.

Alakazam (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
~ Psyshock
~ Focus Blast
~ HP Fire
~ Shadow Ball

My usual lead. I love this guy, he's freaking amazing. His Speed is 371, which is actually higher than his Sp. Atk. which is 368. He's faster than anything and can OHKO almost anything. Also, I love when someone opens with a Breloom, expects me to use Psyshock, switches in a Hydreigon and gets destroyed by Focus Blast. I usually manage to sweep at least 2 pokes with this guy before he goes down. Magic Guard is amazing, it protects from all entry hazards, poisons, burns, leech seeds and everything else. HP Fire is probably my favorite attack, I've already killed more than two dozen Scizor with it. Likewise with Ferrothorn and Forretress. He dies to a single Bullet Punch, though. But overall his bulkiness is such that he often survives one special attack, and sometimes even a physical one. Definitely the baddest mofo on the team. I could consider changing Shadow Ball for Signal Beam, but Shadow Ball is tougher and I've already got HP Fire for grass types. I have tried Focus Sash instead of Life Orb, but overall I think that without the Orb his damage output is pathetic, so I'll be sticking with it.

Latias @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA/ 252 Spe
Timid Nature
~ Calm Mind
~ Dragon Pulse
~ Roost
~ HP FireThunderbolt

I have replaced Celebi with Latias. The lil' lady is very good and has helped me tremendously in the metagame. It stops Keldeo and practically any other special attacker, but with the current moveset, is vulnerable to Tyranitar and company. Its another problem is that it falls easy prey to stall. But it has given the team completeness finally. Initially I used to run HP Fire on Latias, which did surprise several unsuspecting Scizor and Ferrothorn, but I switched to Thunderbolt out of the sore lack of options against Gyarados, and also due to the fact that I didn't really have any Electric attacks on my team. I'll gladly accept suggestions on what to change to make Latias optimally useful.

Volcarona (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
~ Fiery Dance
~ Bug BuzzHP Ground Bug Buzz
~ Quiver Dance
~ Roost

Probably my favorite Pokemon off this team, and one that has single-handedly won me several matches. Very tough to take down, even after Stealth Rock. Not really a problem for it to set up - I'm often able to get 3-4 Quiver Dances in. Walls Scizor and Heatran. Can take 2 Earthquakes and survive before Roosting. After boost, it smacks everything with Fiery Dance and Bug Buzz. The Flame Body burning effect for physical attackers is just a cherry on top of the pie. I usually send this guy out the last to mop up, and I couldn't have dreamt of a better lategame sweeper. Often takes down 3 Pokemon alone, sometimes even 4. Bug Buzz's coverage doesn't satisfy me, as in most cases, boosted Fiery Dance would have been enough to do the job anyway. Hence, I'll go for HP Ground for Volcarona to have something to say against Heatran. They totally won't expect it either. If I find it not worth the trouble, I'll go back to Bug Buzz, I suppose. Back to Bug Buzz, it's reliable against stuff like Latios and Espeon, and that's enough for merit.

Ok, so that's what my team looks like. Please help me improve my team further, criticism will be greatly appreciated :)

Sayonara

don't forget
Hey, interesting team. You seem pretty weak to Heatran, which isn't ideal since your team seems to focus on a Volcarona sweep, and it obviously can't touch Heatran. Keldeo also seems like a big problem, especially on Rain teams, when it can constantly spam Hydro Pump and you don't really have a guy to constantly tank those hits and get health back. I'd replace Alakazam, who is really frail, with a Life Orb Latias. It's much bulkier and brings useful Fighting, Water and Fire resists. This change helps you against Rain and Sun teams, and with Recover it helps you deal with Keldeo. It also helps you beat Heatran with Surf. For other changes, I'd go with Earthquake over Fire Punch on Dragonite, so you can take out Heatran who would force you out otherwise (and you'd lose your boosts). Fire Punch isn't really good on a weatherless team anyways, especially with Rain teams being everywhere. I'd also go with a Jolly Nature on Mamoswine, which lets you outspeed Offensive Jolly Heatrans and KO them with Earthquake before they take out your Mamoswine with Fire Blast. Anyways, cool team, hope this helps.

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Recover

Hey, interesting team. You seem pretty weak to Heatran, which isn't ideal since your team seems to focus on a Volcarona sweep, and it obviously can't touch Heatran.
But Heatran can't really do anything to Volcarona when it's 1 on 1 either. I just go up to 4 Quiver Dances, then Bug Buzz it till it dies. I have only managed to do it like 2 or 3 times, though, due to the circumstances. As for Heatran, I usually 1hko it with Alakazam's Focus Blast. I also tend to outspeed it with Mamoswine and Earthquake it. Mamo's Focus Sashed anyway so he can pop the balloon on the 1st turn with Ice Shard and then KO with Earthquake.

Keldeo also seems like a big problem, especially on Rain teams, when it can constantly spam Hydro Pump and you don't really have a guy to constantly tank those hits and get health back.
True, but from my experience, I haven't had so much trouble with Keldeo. Starmie's Thunderbolt, Skarmory's Brave Bird and Alakazam's Psyshock take care of it. Skarmory does tend to take Hydro Pump bad, but the revenge Brave Bird usually nails the kill.

I'd replace Alakazam, who is really frail, with a Life Orb Latias. It's much bulkier and brings useful Fighting, Water and Fire resists.
Yeah, i might consider it, as it looks like a pretty cool solution. However, I have defeated numerous Latias with no trouble at all. Plus my Alakazam is really a cornerstone of the team. When I lead with it, I usually knock out in one hit 2 to 3 pokes, including but not limited to Heatran, Tyranitar, Keldeo, Scizor, Hydreigon, Gengar, Ferrothorn, Lucario, Magnezone, other Alakazam or Terrakion. I would feel like my team has lost a huge asset by dropping Alakazam. It really is awesome and underrated. Mewtwo is still considered a beast in Ubers, while Alakazam is for all intents and purposes, Mewtwo-lite.

For other changes, I'd go with Earthquake over Fire Punch on Dragonite, so you can take out Heatran who would force you out otherwise (and you'd lose your boosts).
True, roaring on Heatran is a nuisance. But I keep Fire Punch on Dragonite for Scizor and Ferrothorn. That way Dragonite is a perfect counter to Scizor and can step in if my Alakazam gets knocked out by Bullet Punch. People usually opt for boosting with Scizor on Alakazam, though, and that's why they die :P

But I think you might have the good idea here. Scizor can be taken care of by Volcarona 1 on 1 as well, and Earthquake on Dragonite will also 2hko it at worst. But Volcarona always steps in last, it's only any good if it can't be forced out. So I needed something to reliably pwn Scizor in the form of Fire Punch on my Dragonite.

Fire Punch isn't really good on a weatherless team anyways, especially with Rain teams being everywhere.
Well, you might be correct about this. I have still managed to put it to use in such cases, but Earthquake will definitely be better.

I'd also go with a Jolly Nature on Mamoswine, which lets you outspeed Offensive Jolly Heatrans and KO them with Earthquake before they take out your Mamoswine with Fire Blast. Anyways, cool team, hope this helps.
Yeah, that might be the good choice. My Mamoswine already struggles to deal serious damage, though. Won't the nature change cripple it even more?

EDIT:

Battle between Xfing and Cookiii started!
Go! Alakazam!
Cookiii sent out Steve (Starmie)!
Turn 1

Alakazam used Shadow Ball!
It's super effective! The foe's Steve lost 100.0% of its health!
The foe's Steve fainted!
Cookiii sent out Terry (Scrafty)!
Turn 2

Alakazam used Focus Blast!
It's super effective! The foe's Terry lost 100.0% of its health!
The foe's Terry fainted!
Cookiii sent out Colin (Tyranitar)!
The foe's Colin's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
Turn 3

Xfing: cute names : D
Alakazam used Focus Blast!
It's super effective! The foe's Colin lost 100.0% of its health!
The foe's Colin fainted!
The sandstorm rages.
Cookiii sent out Arthur (Electivire)!
Turn 4

Alakazam used Psyshock!
The foe's Arthur lost 100.0% of its health!
The foe's Arthur fainted!
THIS is the reason I don't really feel like dropping Alakazam.

http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-17308166 And this is how we handle rain teams! Luck was on my side in that match quite a bit, though.

I swapped Mamoswine's nature for Jolly, it does indeed work better now. As for Dragonite, I have completely ignored Dragon Dance and got it a movepool of Dragon Rush, Extremespeed, Fire Punch and Earthquake. I know Dragon Rush is a bad move, but I like the extra power over Dragon Claw.

http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-17312939 - And this is the kind of teams my own team needs improvement against. Bulky water types are my bane.

Hey, nice team. If you're running Dragon Claw on Dragonite, you may want to run a somewhat unique set which uses DDance, Dclaw, Earthquake, and Fire Punch, and with a Jolly nature you're able to outspeed things like Jolteon after +1 (who would otherwise easily come in and kill you with HP Ice) while still demolishing things like Scizor and Heatran, Jirachi in rain, etc. Adamant is nice (and most people use it), but for this particular set, Jolly is equally viable. You also might consider changing Lefties to Lum Berry, but that's your preference.

The rest of the team looks great!

Hello fing. Let's get to the rate:
First of all, why don't you use a Choice Band Dragonite when you mostly use him for revenge killing and firing unboosted Dragon Claws? With a choice band equipped, his ExtremeSpeed becomes much more powerful so you can revenge even pokemon around 50%. His Outrages/Dragon Claws will be as powerful as ones after a DragonDance. Overall I think Choice Band is better as you mostly rely on your Dragonite and Mamoswine for revenge killing. Here's the set:
Dragonite@Choice band
Evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adament nature
Outrage | ExtremeSpeed | Fire punch | SuperPower

Outrage is really superior here because of more power. SuperPower hits things like balloon Heatren and Tyranitar for more damage and covers more threats than Earthquake overall.
Your team is seriously weak against special attackers and has no switch-in to powerful special attacks. Things like Latios(both mixed and Specs), Specs Politoed, Keldeo, Thundurus-T, Landorus etc will be seriously problematic. For example Agility Thunduru-T will just rape your team in the most painful and harsh way. Of course there's one beautiful answer to most of these problems, specially defensive Celebi. She will handle rain for you, wall Keldeo, Landorus, Thundurus-T, Rotom-W etc. If you want to fit Celebi into your team you're gonna have to make two changes. First replace Mamoswine with her. Then a slight change in Alakazam's set.
First, here's the set I suggest:
Celebi@Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
Evs: 252 HP / 236 SDef / 20 Spe
Calm nature
Giga Drain | Batton Pass | Stealth Rock | Recover

I suggest Batton Pass over U-turn to avoid deadly Pursuits while in the meantime scouting just like U-turn. She can also setup rocks for you reliably now that Mamo is gone.
With the removal of Mamoswine, your sweet Ice Shard is gone and you can't reliably revenge dragons anymore. Have no fear because you already have one of the best revenge killers on your team; Alakazam. He just needs some changes. With a Focus Sash equipped along with the fact that he doesn't take any indirect damage (ie hazards, sandstorm, hail) nothing can OHKO him so he can revenge ANYTHING. Here's the set:
Alakazam@Focus Sash
Evs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid nature
Psyshock | Focus Blast | Shadow Ball | HP Ice

Hidden Power Ice will work better as it will let you kill dragons and things like Landorus more reliably. It's a good substitute for Mamo's Ice Shard too considering Alakazam's amazing speed.
That's all I can say now. I Hope I was helpful.

Alright, so nice team but I'd recommend a few changes. Switch D-Claw to Outrage on D-Nite because it needs that power. Secondly, Volcarona doesn't need two recovery moves in Roost and Giga Drain. Run Bug Buzz over one. Also go for Surf over Hydro Pump on Starmie due to the fact that HP has horrible accuracy. Mamo doesn't need SR if you have a sash and you even admitted you don't use it. Switch it or Icicle Crash for STAB that hits harder than 40 Base Ice Shard, or Stone Edge or Superpowet or something. Anyways, nice team, a but Scizor weak, but it's ok.

Trainer Au

Insert custom title here
But Heatran can't really do anything to Volcarona when it's 1 on 1 either. I just go up to 4 Quiver Dances, then Bug Buzz it till it dies. I have only managed to do it like 2 or 3 times, though, due to the circumstances. As for Heatran, I usually 1hko it with Alakazam's Focus Blast. I also tend to outspeed it with Mamoswine and Earthquake it. Mamo's Focus Sashed anyway so he can pop the balloon on the 1st turn with Ice Shard and then KO with Earthquake.
Wait, what? YOUR volc set beating tran? In what world?

+6 0 SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 86-102 (22.33 - 26.49%) -- possible 5HKO

And Trans almost always carry Toxic or Roar, meaning you lose every time. Tran is a threat to your team since those other two ways you listed aren't sure fire ways of killing it. For this reason I support the Latias set proposed by sayonara because you are also 6-0'd by rain (keldeo) and sun also gives you problems.

Hey there.
I saw the comment of Sayonara, and I totally agree with him, it is obvious you are very weak against teams, generally rains teams has Politoed scarf or Spec, the 2 sets are very dangerous for your team because even with Dragonite you can't do anything, it hasn't move to heal and the opponent can rotated to weaken it, and with the set of Starmie you can't tank, then your weakness against Keldeo is just awesome, because it will be the same scenario as the rains teams, with Latias you can come on Politoed even with spec because you possess Recover to heal you, Keldeo is wall also by Latias because he has a good type against Surf/Hydropump and Secret sword, then with Latias you're more comfortable against Rotom-W because latias tank Volt switch easily, and you have nothing to come on, Mamoswine can takr a Will O Wisp or a Hydropump and can't do anything anyways.

Then a question, why this spread on Volcarona? I do not understand, it is useless in your team I think. Because with this spread you've a very good bulk, but you attack weakly, while you've a Offensive team, so you lose efficiency, you're outspeed by many Pokémon a + 1 now, as Politoed scarf/Tyranitar Scarf "Jolly" while your team can't counter these pokemon easily... And the opponent can easily see that it is a bulky spread because with damage, I suggest you take this spread "140 HP/252 SPEATK/116 SPEED" with this spread you can easily outspeed scarfs like Politoed/Tyranitar and you possess a good bulk, then you can kill Rotom-Keldeo-Hippodown easier too, I agree with Giga drain, but before you make a change you have to look if you're not weak to something else, watching your team I noticed a weakness against Latias/Latios LO/CM, because you can't come on them easily, Mamoswine is OHKO by Dracometeor, the opponent can switch after broken focus sash and come after to continue, but they are generally played with Surf so even with Bug Buzz you would have been very disadvantaged, I suggest you swap Skarmory in Specially defensive "252 HP/216 SpeDef/42 Def", with this spread you can come easily on Latias/Latios because you only takes 30% on Dracometeor and you take 35% on Surf, then if it is the version with Hp fire, it hasn't surf so it is normally walled by Volcarona.

I hope I Helped and good Luck with your team.

~Nantsuki.

Wait, what? YOUR volc set beating tran? In what world?

+6 0 SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 86-102 (22.33 - 26.49%) -- possible 5HKO

And Trans almost always carry Toxic or Roar
Specially defensive Heatren walls Bulky Volcarona but offensive Heatren will lose due to lacking toxic and roar. Specially defensive ones are barely a threat to his current team anyway.

Ok, before I respond to all your posts, I'll just inform you that my current team has several pokemon changed.

I replaced Dragonite with a Ferrothorn running Thunder Wave, Leech Seed, Gyro Ball and Power Whip, while Starmie/Salamence was replaced by a defensive/utility Heatran with Flamethrower, Toxic, Protect and Stealth Rock. This configuration seems to be quite successful, and right now I'm in early 1600s in OU. However, I have read your advice and might wanna consider returning to my previous setup in a way. I had Dragonite for so long that I got attached to it. Before I swapped Dragonite for Ferrothorn, I kinda tinkered with that one team spot. First it had Starmie, then stallbreaker Salamence, then I went through choices like stallbreaker Reuniclus, swords dance baton passing Mew, Cloyster and finally Heatran. I opted not to use Heatran or Ferrothorn, as I haven't really grown to appreciate them since they both die so easily to my Alakazam. But they're indeed useful in their own right. That's why I never even considered Scizor: everyone expects a resisted move so they try to set up on Alakazam, and get destroyed by HP Fire. This happens like 8/10 times. Ok, but lemme comment on your proposals.

Hello fing. Let's get to the rate:
First of all, why don't you use a Choice Band Dragonite when you mostly use him for revenge killing and firing unboosted Dragon Claws? With a choice band equipped, his ExtremeSpeed becomes much more powerful so you can revenge even pokemon around 50%. His Outrages/Dragon Claws will be as powerful as ones after a DragonDance. Overall I think Choice Band is better as you mostly rely on your Dragonite and Mamoswine for revenge killing. Here's the set:
Dragonite@Choice band
Evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adament nature
Outrage | ExtremeSpeed | Fire punch | SuperPower

Outrage is really superior here because of more power. SuperPower hits things like balloon Heatren and Tyranitar for more damage and covers more threats than Earthquake overall.
Thanks for that! I noticed that Dragonite has serious trouble, and the turn I usually spend on Dragon Dancing is sometimes of crucial importance. I will try an E-speed Dragonite now, this does look like the remedy to my problems. Ferrothorn has been good at walling and beating the guy that has been giving me the most problems, Rotom-W quite nicely, but Dragonite with its Outrage should do just as good perhaps.

Your team is seriously weak against special attackers and has no switch-in to powerful special attacks. Things like Latios(both mixed and Specs), Specs Politoed, Keldeo, Thundurus-T, Landorus etc will be seriously problematic.
Water attacks are indeed my biggest problem, but Dragonite has always walled those nicely if need be. All special attacks taht aren't super effective get sponged by Volcarona, often doing considerably less than 50%, so I can Quiver Dance and then Roost to my heart's content. And dish the damage back.

For example Agility Thunduru-T will just rape your team in the most painful and harsh way.
I can stop any such threat with Ice Shard on Mamoswine and then Extremespeed on Dragonite. It'll likely cost me one of them, though.

Of course there's one beautiful answer to most of these problems, specially defensive Celebi. She will handle rain for you, wall Keldeo, Landorus, Thundurus-T, Rotom-W etc. If you want to fit Celebi into your team you're gonna have to make two changes. First replace Mamoswine with her. Then a slight change in Alakazam's set.
First, here's the set I suggest:
Celebi@Leftovers
Evs: 252 HP / 236 SDef / 20 Spe
Calm nature
Giga Drain | Batton Pass | Stealth Rock | Recover

I suggest Batton Pass over U-turn to avoid deadly Pursuits while in the meantime scouting just like U-turn. She can also setup rocks for you reliably now that Mamo is gone.
With the removal of Mamoswine, your sweet Ice Shard is gone and you can't reliably revenge dragons anymore. Have no fear because you already have one of the best revenge killers on your team; Alakazam. He just needs some changes. With a Focus Sash equipped along with the fact that he doesn't take any indirect damage (ie hazards, sandstorm, hail) nothing can OHKO him so he can revenge ANYTHING. Here's the set:
Alakazam@Focus Sash
Evs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid nature
Psyshock | Focus Blast | Shadow Ball | HP Ice

Hidden Power Ice will work better as it will let you kill dragons and things like Landorus more reliably. It's a good substitute for Mamo's Ice Shard too considering Alakazam's amazing speed.
That's all I can say now. I Hope I was helpful.
Hmmm... this does indeed sound interesting. I might be underestimating Celebi quite a bit, since it also dies to like 3 Shadow Balls from my Alakazam while failing to do anything noteworthy back to it. Oh, speaking of doing noteworthy stuff to Alakazam: It does get OHKO'd occasionally, but more often than not it can withstand a physical hit. It has never died even to a Shadow Ball from other Alakazam, so I feel forgoing the Life Orb will be too big a waste. Also, HP fire is priceless on my Alakazam, I can't stress enough how helpful it is - especially against Scizor, Ferrothorn, Jirachi and Metagross. It helps immeasurably. As for Keldeo, it's only any problem to me if it's scarfed. If not, Alakazam takes care of it with Psyshock. Even if it is, without rain Skarmory can withstand one Hydro Pump, and then finish it off with Brave Bird. I have had trouble with Keldeo, but not nearly as much as with, say, Rotom-W.

That said, I think I'll go with bringing Dragonite back with your tweaks and replacing Heatran with Celebi, and see how it goes. I'll keep Mamoswine as it really helps against dragons and Landorus, but I'll take away its Stealth Rock and replace it with something different. Thanks a lot for the feedback, it was really helpful.

Alright, so nice team but I'd recommend a few changes. Switch D-Claw to Outrage on D-Nite because it needs that power. Secondly, Volcarona doesn't need two recovery moves in Roost and Giga Drain. Run Bug Buzz over one.
Actually, I'm trying that set out at the moment and it's quite helpful. Bug Buzz is powerful, but by the moment I get to sweeping, I could have as well swept all those Psychic types with Fiery Dance anyway, so it's not like i need the coverage. Giga Drain, on the other hand, was my answer against bulky water types. More of a type coverage option than a healing move, really. I was also thinking of giving Volcarona HP Ground in fact - never to worry about Heatran, its ultimate wall. That would be probably the best choice, in fact.. If I find other ways of dealing with bulky water types, though, I'll definitely drop Giga Drain. I'll probably go and test HP Ground for a while.

Also go for Surf over Hydro Pump on Starmie due to the fact that HP has horrible accuracy. Mamo doesn't need SR if you have a sash and you even admitted you don't use it. Switch it or Icicle Crash for STAB that hits harder than 40 Base Ice Shard, or Stone Edge or Superpowet or something. Anyways, nice team, a but Scizor weak, but it's ok.
As for Mamo's SR, I do use it, simply not always as I sometimes just prefer to attack. When I get Celebi in, though, I'll replace it with something else, Icicle Crash probably, as you said. Or better yet, Stone Edge. Yeah, that would be quite a choice, since I have no Rock-type moves at all.

Then a question, why this spread on Volcarona? I do not understand, it is useless in your team I think. Because with this spread you've a very good bulk, but you attack weakly, while you've a Offensive team, so you lose efficiency, you're outspeed by many Pokémon a + 1 now, as Politoed scarf/Tyranitar Scarf "Jolly" while your team can't counter these pokemon easily... And the opponent can easily see that it is a bulky spread because with damage, I suggest you take this spread "140 HP/252 SPEATK/116 SPEED" with this spread you can easily outspeed scarfs like Politoed/Tyranitar and you possess a good bulk, then you can kill Rotom-Keldeo-Hippodown easier too, I agree with Giga drain, but before you make a change you have to look if you're not weak to something else, watching your team I noticed a weakness against Latias/Latios LO/CM, because you can't come on them easily, Mamoswine is OHKO by Dracometeor, the opponent can switch after broken focus sash and come after to continue, but they are generally played with Surf so even with Bug Buzz you would have been very disadvantaged, I suggest you swap Skarmory in Specially defensive "252 HP/216 SpeDef/42 Def", with this spread you can come easily on Latias/Latios because you only takes 30% on Dracometeor and you take 35% on Surf, then if it is the version with Hp fire, it hasn't surf so it is normally walled by Volcarona.

I hope I Helped and good Luck with your team.
~Nantsuki.
As for Volcarona, the bulky spread is the best thing to ever happen to it, trust me. I don't need any power on it, because of Quiver Dance. I'm often in situations when I can easily get like 5 Quiver Dances in with impunity - and that's all thanks to the bulk. Volcarona is an amazing special wall and a really good physical one too, and after Quiver Dance boosts it also outspeeds and demolishes anything. The only thing it worries about are Hydro Pumps in the rain - it can easily take Surfs, Scalds, Earthquakes, Earth Powers etc, usually taking no less than ~35% from the physical moves. As for Roar, that's no problem, as I usually switch Volcarona in last, so noone can force it to switch anymore, and it can often turn the whole match around. It has been regularly winning me matches, sometimes KOing even 4 or 5 Pokemon (but more often than that, the matches end with ragequits). I'll be sure to upload a replay if I get the chance, to show off the awesome might of Bulky Volcarona :D It's getting harder to pull off with all those ~1700 guys I play against now, though :/

EDIT:

http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-18740941 Check this replay out, one of my favorite pwnages, and it's completely fresh. It showcases precisely why Volcarona needs the bulk. I think it tanked and swept 5 Pokemon in a row there, including Dragonite. And it was running the not-so-viable HP Ground at that time ^^

http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-18726676

1st test of the May 15th incarnation of the team - and against an appropriate enemy team also. The enemy had Politoed, Azumarill and Keldeo. The battle is won, but barely (due to my sloppiness and reckless style). Celebi definitely serves its purpose against bulky water types!

http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-18728233

And here's a nice match I won 5-0 by surprising the opponent numerous times with my new Mamoswine moveset.

http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-18730377

Celebi performs inadequately against Keldeo :( I think that guy's best left to Alakazam.

http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-18733255

I made a mistake in this one of not waiting until the Trick Room's effects subside before continuing. Still, I barely won, Celebi barely withstood Terrakion's Stone Edge and KO'd it.

Your bad luck. That Keldeo was running Hidden Power Bug. Though rare but some do.
I recommended Stealth Rock if you wanted to replace Mamoswine with Celebi. I think you're better off giving Mamoswine Stealth Rock and use Thunder Wave on Celebi to help with faster threats(like that damn Keldeo).

Your bad luck. That Keldeo was running Hidden Power Bug. Though rare but some do.
I recommended Stealth Rock if you wanted to replace Mamoswine with Celebi. I think you're better off giving Mamoswine Stealth Rock and use Thunder Wave on Celebi to help with faster threats(like that damn Keldeo).
I'll just run a slightly different moveset to remedy this. I have noticed that Stone Edge isn't really needed on Mamoswine, so I'll let it run Stealth Rock like before. Celebi will have Calm Mind, HP Electric, Giga Drain and Recover. This way it'll be able not only to wall, but also to beat stuff. And wall it can! Check out this replay:

http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-18734774 I made the opponent really, really angry in this 164 turn wall war. The foe's tactic was to Dragon Tail my Pokemon into entry hazards, but Celebi shrugged it all off. But finally it boiled down to it and Skarmory vs Dragonite, Gengar and Ditto (who assumed the Skarmory form most of the time). When its Recovers were spent, i purposefully let it faint so that my Skarmory won't be forced to switch all the time. And when it stayed in, it finally took down Dragonite and Gengar, while Ditto spent all its imitated moves and was 2 turns away from losing due to Struggle's recoil when the dude quit. Now, had Celebi had HP Electric for an attack, I could have ended it much earlier, without losing any walling potential - all of those 3 last Pokemon take at least neutral damage from Electric, and Celebi was fully Calm Minded at one point too. I'll change SR to that move and see how it goes ^^

You need a spinner. Remove Alakazam and add Starmie:

Starmie @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

With starmie you will not have problems with SR users so you can switch into Volcarona/ Mamoswine without having a lot of problems. Also be carefull with Phazers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)