Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also it's not like it's impossible for a world to be set up like a grid but still allow free movement.
See: Animal Crossing.
I guess it depends on what exactly is set up like a grid. Pokemon encounter spots? Maybe. But you clearly aren't restricted to standing in set tiles anymore if there's free movement.

Oh wow. In the past week, we've got more new information than we've had for all four months before.

From Serebii. Please visit his site and click the ads. I and the rest of the Net are now stealing his bandwidth...

This is very interesting. Here follow my thoughts about the map. Please don't mind the lack of coherence:

All roads lead to Lumiose City, it seems, though roads appear to be scarce between the other cities. On the other hand, it might seem like we can surf the rivers to travel between them.
Yes because in France most highways and train lines go to and from Paris. Paris is really a "strong" centre to France.

So far I think Game Freak did a great job on representing France, the map looks a lot like it and the big city looks a lot like Paris.

About the Stone Hedge thing, it could represent England but it's not out of place because it's in Brittany, a place where the Celts lived and these rocks are a Celtic thing (there are a few things like these in Brittany).

^The northern snowy area might represent Scandinavia neverthless which is far away from France. But actually larger than both Pyrenees and Alpes?

We knew we could move in at least 8 directions before the new trailer, because of a new picture that was shown. Based on that, there could have still been a grid system. In the trailer though, you clearly see it's not just 8 directions.
It appears you are right in that the trailer does show the player characters moving freely in Lumiose City. I just hope that this freedom of movement isn't restricted to Lumiose the way that the "dynamic camera view" ended up being restricted to Castelia City. It could very well continue to use the traditional grid-based tile movement in routes with tall grass based on how the patches are the same as before.

About the Typing Skit,
I saw it as
the fighting guy trapped her, implying that it was not fighting type.
then she broke the ice. fighting is SE on ice, but we know she is not fighting.
then she was subjected to toxic garbage, and reacted crazy
therefore weak to poison.
Steel is SE on Ice, but is immune to Poison. This eliminates the possibility of it being steel type.

The only other type she could be that exists and SE on ice is Rock, and her design does not support that at all.

And, if she is the supposed LIGHT type or equivalent, it kinda makes sense.
Light can melt ice, but toxic smog and pollution can block out light.

One thing to note is that all the streams of the river end up southeast in the area obscured with clouds/fog, same for the snowy mountain on the northwest. IMO, it should be possible for the players to explore those two areas, more so if Defog makes appearance as a outside-of-battle move again.

From the Pokémon website "At certain points you'll be able to get new outfits and accessories for your Trainer!"

I-I...just T___T thank you GF.

One thing to note is that all the streams of the river end up southeast in the area obscured with clouds/fog, same for the snowy mountain on the northwest. IMO, it should be possible for the players to explore those two areas, more so if Defog makes appearance as a outside-of-battle move again.
GameFreak has always strategically placed clouds over key and postgame areas that they want to hide on their regional maps. They typically release a cloud-less version once the game is released.

GameFreak has always strategically placed clouds over key and postgame areas that they want to hide on their regional maps. They typically release a cloud-less version once the game is released.
Or a Kanto-Johto like situation.

EDIT: Also, I think we'll get "smart" NPC's. Watch the trailer; you can see NPC's talking with eachother, walking longer distances and so forth.

Thanks for posting this.

2nd gym being Fairy doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Even if they reclassify old pokemon, I can't believe there'd be enough of them to do a decent gym out of that early in the game. IE, you don't want to see "uber super rare junky pokemon" in the 2nd gym.
Reading this, I recalled the normal type gym in GSC.
Being the 2nd gym, they don't always need a full team.
If the 2nd gym was fairy, it could have 1 troublesome Fairy (ala Miltank)
and then either its pre-evo's or just a few of the lower level fairies that get introduced.

Just as a sidenote, I think I saw Leech Seed, Fire Spin, and either Bubblebeam or Water Pulse from the starters in that trailer. Seems like we'll finally get a fast water starter, too!

Yeah, early game gyms can have surprisingly powerful Pokemon (Like how Misty has a goddamn Starmie). I could see them making the second gym have a couple of this cool new type so as to get the kids excited seeing them later in the game. I mean, assuming this is in fact true, Fairy seems to me like it would be closer to Dark and Steel in rareness than Dragon. So they would want to introduce it early.

About Sylveon's type: I guess it's based on Love (filled into an element. Like how Psychich isn't mind/intellectual):
-love is hearthwarming and you know the expression that you'll melt. So it's strong against ice.
-in many movies, love ends because of fighting or poison (so that the loved one dies).

It could be in a way that includes cuteness with this thinking. I wouldn't know what the name of the type would be, I just thought out a relationship between the 3 types.

'bout the new news:
-great English names, I actually really like them.
-CUSTOMISATION. PERIOD!!!

With the fact that WPM's insider's info turned out to be valid and what the Pokemon Smash skit showed, it all but confirms a new/Fairy type. Though I'll wait to give my reaction until it's officially announced.

Also, I like how everyone was "OMG! YOU CAN SIT DOWN IN THE GAME!!!!! AKSDLFJHAGAKJDL"

Weak to Steel and Poison because "virtually nothing is weak to these"
Strong against dragons because "something else has to be"
It's so obviously "fixes dragons" that it probably shouldn't be real... although it could be.
If I have to "theorize" why Fairy works like that I would say this. Let's think about Fairy type as Fantasy type (since its japanese name it's supossed to be Meruhen aka Fairy Tale type), considering that, we can say that "fairies" are weak to poison because of the poisoned apple (Snow white) and steel because of Silver and Swords in general. Also being immune to dragon because fantasy stories normally involve killing dragons (but being immune is kind of a stretch, resistant would have been good enough, or just SE against them alone without a resistance). Psychic resists it because "they don't believe in fairy tales" (that should make THEM immune tho, not dragons), and fire because...I don't know, Frankenstein?

Parting Shot sounds good but I'm not down with such obvious power creep ALREADY. I don't know why they couldn't have just made it a Fighting type U-turn, as given it's attributes (Lowering Atk and SpA 1 stage reportedly, keeping momentum) it would need to be sub-40 BP for it to not be ridiculously good. Alas, it could just be another case like Shell Smash.

The new trailer has given me much more confidence in the graphics. They seem much better, as before I was getting an early PS1 vibe from them, like all the buildings were just boxes with poor textures over them.

You know, Fantasy type would be a good name for it if they were worried about all the people going "Eww, Fairies are for girls!" (they must be remembering very different Fairy tales from me) while still keeping it more flavourful than Light type aka the most Generic type ever.

...although Love type fits with that Smash skit. I mean, Ice loses because of the burning passion that radiates from Sylveon's heart. *Gasp* And could it mean we finally get a Luvdisc evo?!

So then:

Kanto: Industrialized region
Johto: Rural region
Hoenn: Maritime region
Sinnoh: Landscape region
Unova: Commercial region
Kalos: Historical/Artistic region (?)

Oh and also
2nd gym being Fairy doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Even if they reclassify old pokemon, I can't believe there'd be enough of them to do a decent gym out of that early in the game. IE, you don't want to see "uber super rare junky pokemon" in the 2nd gym.
rarity of the type means nothing when we've had:
-A ghost gym with all of 4 total ghost pokemon. 1 of which was not even in the gym
-A steel type gym with exactly 1 trainer (the leader) with 2 Magnemites & a Steelix (despite having more variety than the ghost gym available)
-A dragon type gym despite only 4 Dragons (Dragoanirs as far as the eye can see)
-A fire type E4 member despite having 2 fire type lines in the DP Sinnoh dex
-An ice type gym consisting of 6 pokemon (actually 5, no one had Vanilluxe) across 3 lines.
-Another dragon gym made almost entirely of Axews, Fraxures, & Druddigons with 1 Deino and 1 Haxorus.

So long as they have at least let's say 3 Fairy lines to work with they can easily have a Fairy gym early on. And if we believe both rumors than we have the Clefairy line, Mawile and Slyveon at least to work with.

Parting Shot sounds good but I'm not down with such obvious power creep ALREADY. I don't know why they couldn't have just made it a Fighting type U-turn, as given it's attributes (Lowering Atk and SpA 1 stage reportedly, keeping momentum) it would need to be sub-40 BP for it to not be ridiculously good. Alas, it could just be another case like Shell Smash.
Uh, I'm pretty sure parting shot doesn't do any damage. In the video, as soon as the move was used, it lowered stats without showing any signs of the opposing Pokemon flinching. Usually, if a move does any damage, the damage comes before the stat lowering, so unless they're changing that mechanic, it's safe to assume that parting shot doesn't do any damage. I think it's a fairly balanced move that promotes stall. Parting shot would kill offensive teams if used right.

Oh and also

rarity of the type means nothing when we've had:
-A ghost gym with all of 4 total ghost pokemon. 1 of which was not even in the gym
-A steel type gym with exactly 1 trainer (the leader) with 2 Magnemites & a Steelix (despite having more variety than the ghost gym available)
-A dragon type gym despite only 4 Dragons (Dragoanirs as far as the eye can see)
-A fire type E4 member despite having 2 fire type lines in the DP Sinnoh dex
-An ice type gym consisting of 6 pokemon (actually 5, no one had Vanilluxe) across 3 lines.
-Another dragon gym made almost entirely of Axews, Fraxures, & Druddigons with 1 Deino and 1 Haxorus.

So long as they have at least let's say 3 Fairy lines to work with they can easily have a Fairy gym early on. And if we believe both rumors than we have the Clefairy line, Mawile and Slyveon at least to work with.
Think about this, too - most of the Rock-type gyms use all Geodudes, with the exception of one of the Gym Leader's Pokemon. Gyms don't have to be complex by any means regarding number of types, and it would be interesting to have the new type be a gym so early (yet we still don't have a Dark gym :,().

Don't know if we haven't backtracked enough but have the new common mons already been mentioned? There are new fanpics spawning in Pixiv and there has been updates on the official pages. Just check them out on http://www.pokemonxy.com

We apparently get a mount in Pokemon. That Gogoat can be ridden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)