Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh I think the Fairy-type would be totally fine, but dual-typed moves? >:( It just seems as if it would massacre any sort of defensive Pokemon. A Ferrothorn or Jellicent? Don't worry, I have 8 different attacking types to hit it with... Other than that, I really love all the new additions. gogoat!!!
This assumes that:
-Dual type moves work by literally attacking with two types at once
--And assuming the types deal SE damage that can stack
--And assuming the dual typed moves have useful dual typing (finally, the normal/steel move everyone's been waiting for!)
-That they will be widepsread
-That most pokemon that want them will get them
-That they will be strong/useful/worth using by most pokemon that can use them
-Don't have like a dozen caveats

I honestly feel like the dual-type moves will probably be on some gimmick Pokémon, in the same realm as Chatot and Smeargle.

Sure, they have their uses, but nothing to brag about outside a few distinct cases.

I wont be crying that Pokemon is Ruined Forevaaaah if dual typed moves are a thing, but God do they sound confusing. So if my Politoed uses his Dual Fire/Water Scald on a Ludicolo in the Rain, then what is the multiplier?

I wont be crying that Pokemon is Ruined Forevaaaah if dual typed moves are a thing, but God do they sound confusing. So if my Politoed uses his Dual Fire/Water Scald on a Ludicolo in the Rain, then what is the multiplier?
At this point we have to make a ton of assumptions, but I'll go with:
-x1.5 for STAB
-Rain's bonus to water & negative to fire will cancel out
-Deal 1/2 the damage rather than a 1/4 a normal water move would do

It's not as confusing as people make it out to be.
And, again, for all we know it might look at only the most relevant type in the match up (eg: an electric/water move wouldn't work against a ground type; a water/ground move might deal super effective damage against the same ground type.) or it could be as simple as "is one type, deals damage with a different type"

canno

formerly The Reptile

As you can see by the image, the new icon sprites have been revamped (comparing old ziggy to new ziggy). This means that the mystery sprite could possibly be Pidgey, and they simply revamped it to match it's color better (the actual sprite has the tan color like the mystery sprite does, as compared to the white in the current icon sprite)

So yeah, I'm with R_N on this, I think it's just a pidgey.

For some reason now I see Pidgey instead of Hariyama
Pidgey was my initial thought too. It would make sense if it's early on in the dex, more so than the likes of Hariyama and Maractus.

EDIT: I'm glad someone else noticed the revamped icons! I thought I was going insane for a second.

Posted the sprite in a chatroom, and a friend came up with this:
I also saw Hariyama. I also kind of see Spearow?

Also, I don't understand why people think we won't have a grid-based walking system. The characters only moved linearily in Lumiose City in the trailer. If that point at 16 seconds where the male turns a bit while running, it looks more like he moves diagonally one tile over, but I didn't see anything in that trailer that looked like free form movement.
On another point, at the very beginning of the trailer, is that sound supposed to be Gogoat's cry?

Also:
My visual speculation:

I got nothing for everything else aside from blatant city.
I saw the exact same setup. That little pit-looking area to the right of Townsville looks either like an old preserved town/military site, or a place to nab some cool rare pokemon. Maybe even a legendary in the post-game?

I believe the hidden Pokemon below Zigzagoon more resembles Pidgey. There's also 2 empty spots after it before the 3rd spot that's more lighter. Judging by the pic, this could be at the start of the game so the player hasen't seen Pidgey's evolved forms yet and the 3rd spot that's lighter could be another Pokemon that's seen early on. If not, I think it's a new Pokemon. 2 region birds that early seems kinda weird, especially if GF wants us to use the newer Pokemon over the older ones.

Posted the sprite in a chatroom, and a friend came up with this:
Looks like it matches if it was flipped horizontally.

Edit: But yeah, looks like Pidgey too.

And I didn't see it a first, but I do now see the difference between the Zigzagoon sprites.

Well if dual-typed moves are true, then according to this "inside source" there won't be many of them.

How they work is simple in principle, but you have to get used to it and add more depth and variable to the type chart.

Fire/Ground (Earth Power?) would deal only Fire on Flying type.
Steel/Electric (Magnet Bomb?) would deal neutral damage to a Water type.
Fire/Flying (Heat Wave?) against a Dry Skin Paras in Sun is bit tricky, but with a quick calc we can get: ( x4 (fire) + x4 (flying) ) x 1.5(fire under sun) x 1.25 (dry skin) = a whopping x15 damage. That'd make Heat Wave's power after SE calc and dual stab factored (Moltres, Charizard, Ho-oh) = 100 * (1. + 1.5) * 15 = 4500 WOAH.

EDIT: I realize I'm making assumptions here, but I think this is the way it'd work if it was introduced.
EDIT 2: I think dual-stab would be 1.5*1.5 instead of 1.5 + 1.5 making the damage 3375. still high XD.
EDIT 3: yeah on second thought Fire/Ground would do NO damage on flying types even with fire as one of the types like Katakiri said.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
Well if dual-typed moves are true, then according to this "inside source" there won't be many of them.

How they work is simple in principle, but you have to get used to it and add more depth and variable to the type chart.

Fire/Ground (Earth Power?) would deal only Fire on Flying type.
Steel/Electric (Magnet Bomb?) would deal neutral damage to a Water type.
Fire/Flying (Heat Wave?) against a Dry Skin Paras in Sun is bit tricky, but with a quick calc we can get: ( x4 (fire) + x4 (flying) ) x 1.5(fire under sun) x 1.25 (dry skin) = a whopping x15 damage.
Well IF dual-types are a things, and that's a BIG if, I could see it working like Pokemon types. If the Pokemon is immune to either of the attack types, the entire attack fails. So, going off your example, Pokemon with Levitate would still be immune to Earth Power but a grounded Pokemon with Flash Fire would be immune to Earth Power as well and get a boost from it.

I really, really doubt GF would make attacks any more complex than they are now tho.

Did everyone see that Parting shot reduces both of the defending Pokemon's attack stats? Are there any opinions on it's utility?

Also, I don't understand why people think we won't have a grid-based walking system. The characters only moved linearily in Lumiose City in the trailer. If that point at 16 seconds where the male turns a bit while running, it looks more like he moves diagonally one tile over, but I didn't see anything in that trailer that looked like free form movement.
That wasn't even close to 45 degrees.

That wasn't even close to 45 degrees.
Yes it was. I see it as, there was a twitch in the joy pad and the player moved one tile diagonally before continuing on by holding the joy pad down as the charcter ran down the bend in the street, similar to how you only need to hold left to make your character run through the big access street in Castelia City.

After closer inspection of the mysterious dex Pokemon. It does NOT look like Pidgey OR Hariyama for me. Still wouldn't rule out older Pokemon, but these two do not IMO. Look at the colors and shape.

Did everyone see that Parting shot reduces both of the defending Pokemon's attack stats? Are there any opinions on it's utility?
Quite a few on the last couple of pages. Some people were of the opinion that it could be broken. Personally, I like it. I mean it could make Stall teams much more proactive. Parting Remark into an Intimidate, anyone?

Yes it was. I see it as, there was a twitch in the joy pad and the player moved one tile diagonally before continuing on by holding the joy pad down as the charcter ran down the bend in the street.
The direction of his face certainly doesn't match that idea. But if the tiles were tiny, that could work for his movement path I guess, since we don't see him move for very long after the turn. But then they wouldn't match the size of the grass patches. Besides, surely GF sees a gridded movement system would be pointless and hated in a 3D game.

Edit: Princess of Johto, you're not quite following us...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)