Gen 5 The OU Viability Ranking thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Scizor may be very good at what he does, but his odd coverage, putting aside the fact that he's usually Choice-locked, means a myriad of dangerous threats can set up on him. Such threats include Keldeo, Volcarona, Forretress, Landorus-T, Thundurus-T, Tentacruel, Skarmory....even Heatran, Magnezone and Lucario can take advantage of Choiced Bullet Punch. All of these threats can become very dangerous after just a single turn of setup or a free turn in general, and Scizor can't keep U-Turn spamming forever because there will be times you'll go for Bullet Punch/Pursuit, the main reason you chose Scizor in the first place. Scizor is still fantastic, but his tendency to grant free setup turns for common opponents keeps him out of S imo.

P.S. Usage does not reflect viability in the direct sense.

Further nominating Mew for A-
Seriously? I have no clue why this mon is so underrated.
It is ONE mon who has NO hard counter. Literally, none. Because any mon who tries to counter one set has to deal with a 100 other possible sets.'
This mon is SOOO versatile and yet it gets TERRIBLE usage.
Just have a look at Mew's movepool.
With the right usage, Mew has the ability to go S-rank, let alone A-rank. Just as Celebi has been steadily coming up the ranks, equally so Mew should too.
You think Jellicent counters it? Say hello to Shadow Ball.
Hydreigon drives it crazy? Aura Sphere should do the trick
Need a counter to Scizor? Pack a set with Fire Blast, that should do the trick.
Facing issues with Keldeo? STAB Psychic of 100 SpA means not much of an issue any longer.
The list goes on and on. Hell, ANY pokemon in OU can be countered by Mew with the right set, that's how good it is.
Which is why it should AT LEAST go to A-, if not to S(in the future once people start using it properly).

While it's true that Mew has that fantastic movepool, it's niche as a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none means it is outclassed in nearly every role. Jirachi has a far better typing and is a better support pokemon. The lati twins have better bulk (latias) and better offense (latios) and base 100 stats across the board along with poor psychic typing mean that mew just doesn't cut it in OU, there are far better options for nearly every viable role.
Mew is fine where it is.

Nominating Alakazam for A+.
Possibly the best revenge killer in OU, it can basically cover any weakness a team may have with certain mons. Weakness to Scizor? HP Fire. Weakness to dragons and Landorus? HP Ice. Weakness to Terrakion and Keldeo? Psyshock. Weakness to Celebi? Signal Beam. The list goes on. It's basically a catch-all revenge killer with Focus Sash and can easily clean weakened teams. It's power and speed are astonishing, and its versatile movepool means it can cover many threats. It's criminal that's in A- at the moment. It's amazing ability means it can come in several times throughout a match and switch out with no punishment. If I could think of any problems, its that its slightly lacking in power without a Life Orb, although its Special Attack is the second highest in OU (only behind Thundurus-T). It should be a top 10 Poke in my opinion.

Nominating Alakazam for A+.
Possibly the best revenge killer in OU, it can basically cover any weakness a team may have with certain mons. Weakness to Scizor? HP Fire. Weakness to dragons and Landorus? HP Ice. Weakness to Terrakion and Keldeo? Psyshock. Weakness to Celebi? Signal Beam. The list goes on. It's basically a catch-all revenge killer with Focus Sash and can easily clean weakened teams. It's power and speed are astonishing, and its versatile movepool means it can cover many threats. It's criminal that's in A- at the moment. It's amazing ability means it can come in several times throughout a match and switch out with no punishment. If I could think of any problems, its that its slightly lacking in power without a Life Orb, although its Special Attack is the second highest in OU (only behind Thundurus-T). It should be a top 10 Poke in my opinion.
It has a glaring problem in that it is not only completely useless in front of Jirachi and Blissey, but they are also not easily exploitable pokemon.

If it could survive a resisted breloom mach punch at +2, then I would say it has enough bulk to be considered "bulky enough" for OU, its lack of ability to take ANY physical hit and most special hits really holds it back.

but the number one thing holding it back is relying on a 90 power single STAB.. and a 120 power but 70 accuracy coverage move..

I'd rather have a pokemon with 115 SpAtk but more powerful STAB and two of them :)

edit: What I typed above probably sounds like I don't think 'Zam should be OU, on the contrary its excellent, I just don't see it as a first class OU pokemon like... Heatran for example (who is undeniably the best pokemon since gen 4 :P)

^^ speaking of which, heatran isn't A+? I am surprised to say the least... Would make an argument but not bothered atm and my arguments for gastro in B got ignored -.-

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Alakazam isn't A+ because it is really good at what it does but it actually can do its job only once when Focus Sash is broken it becomes extremely mediocre due to shitty bulk, horrible typing and mediocre coverage moves. I mean thanks to Focus sash+Magic guard it can revenge kill nearly everything wich is absolutly awesome, but thats just it other revenge killers like Scarf keldeo/Terrakion/Latios/Salamence can not only revenge kill but are also awesome late game cleaners due to their good high Powerd stab moves and useful defensive typings. So while Alakazams niche is unique and extremely useful it still has competition and quite enough flaws to hold it back from being A+.

Heatran isn't A+, because of Rain thats pretty much it it is a great Pokemon but Rain really holds it back from being more than a fantastic offensive pivot that can set rocks (although the Sunny Day set can be extremely nasty).

It has a glaring problem in that it is not only completely useless in front of Jirachi and Blissey, but they are also not easily exploitable pokemon.
Actually, Blissey is 2HKOd by Psyshock after Srealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes (not that difficult to get up if you run Custap Skarmory).
252 SpA Alakazam Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 267-315 (40.95 - 48.31%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Spikes

Sure, it can't get past Jirachi, but every Pokemon has counters. Hell, Keldeo's are in double figures. Just because it has one counter doesn't mean it can't be in A+. You then go on to mention Heatran, who might as well have one STAB as Flash Cannon is pretty useless.

Sure, it also can't switch in on Breloom, but its a revenge killer. Can Mamoswine switch in on a +2 Outrage from Garchomp? Can Scizor switch in on a +2 Close Combat from Terrakion? If it remains at full health, and has a Focus Sash, it can revenge pretty much anything. Did I mention its a great status absorber? It doesn't care about a burn or Toxic since it does no damage to it. It can also switch in on a Leech Seed.

Also, I don't think Heatran is worthy of A+. It loses to all 4 of the S Rank mons and its only good STAB is neutered by the common rain. What exactly is it stopping these days? Sure, it matches up well against Sun teams, but Dugtrio destroys it. Volcarona can run HP Ground. Scizor runs Superpower. Kyurem-B can run Earth Power. It's still a great mon, but its worn down far too easily and loses to too many high rankers to be good enough for A+.

Dark Fallen Angel

FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!
Do not forget to say that there is one thing that Alakazam is not guaranteed to revenge kill: Volcarona. Alakazam is only guaranteed to OHKO it with Psyshock after Stealth Rock damage, but you should not assume that Stealth Rock will always be up on the opponent's side, and if Volcarona has one Quiver Dance, Alakazam will lose.

It may be a good revenge killer, but I disagree that it is the best. Alakazam can revenge kill almost everything, but only if its Focus Sash is intact. Once it is not, Alakazam will lose to almost every Pokémon faster than it or packing priority. Alakazam also cannot switch on anything.

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Wait, wait, WHAT???
Terrakion is S-rank... but SCIZOR is A+???
How in the world does that make sense at all? Scizor sees the most usage on all teams, is CLEARLY the king of OU, has been dominating the metagame for a long time and it's A+?
Nominating Scizor for S-Rank
Scizor has everything needed to be S-rank. The only TRUE counters to Scizor are Jellicent, Gyarados and Heatran. Even these mons can't completely counter Scizor because he can U-turn out for a Volt-switch user(for Jellicent and Gyarados) or for Politoed(Heatran), meaning Scizor is VERY difficult to counter.
DUDE. Usage does not play any role in this ranking, as this thread only takes viability into account. What you are saying is, that if everyone used a Pikachu on their team, and it had like, 25% usage, it should be S-Rank. I hope that isn't what you think :I

Besides, as other may have pointed out, a Choice locked Scizor is just setup bait for so many things. Also, I think the counter list is a liiiittle bit larger than your's. Jellicent, Gyarados, Heatran, Volcarona, Forretress, Landorus-T, Gliscor and Hippowdon all wall it extremely well.

Yes, but thanks to U-Turn, Scizor can get the correct counter for these Pokemon as they switch in. For instance, vs Gyarados Scizor can get in Rotom-W who Volt Switches out again to beat Gyarados OR gain momentum vs a switch to Rotom-W.
Choice locked Scizor is, but LO Scizor is plain deadly.
STAB U-Turn is why Scizor should be S-rank.

Dark Fallen Angel

Scizor should not be S-Rank for these reasons:

1. Too many pokémon resist Scizor's STAB combination. Fire-types, Steel-types (except Jirachi and Ferrothorn, but they can still take U-Turn without too much problems), Keldeo, Gyarados, Jellicent, Thundurus-T and Tentacruel.
  2. Scizor has a painful weakness to Fire-type attacks, and they are very common despite rain; and due to Scizor's mediocre Special Defense, rain cannot prevent Scizor dying from most Fire-type attacks.
  3. Although Scizor's only weakness is to Fire-type attacks, it also has problems with neutral attacks. Keldeo can OHKO it with Hydro Pump if boosted by Choice Specs or rain. Landorus leave a big dent with Earthquake or Earth Power. Scizor also cannot take repeated Close Combats from Terrakion.
  4. Scizor can gain momentum but if there are entry hazards on its side of field, it cannot switch in as repeatedly as you would want to. For example, Stealth Rock limits it to 8 switch-ins, and that is not considering that it will be taking damage from other sources.

Alakazam is A+ to me. Sure it dies to anything and everything, but guaranteed focus sash with immunity to all passive damage makes it a superb revenge killer. 135 base SpA hits hard, and it has the moves to take down most common threats. It's not meant to take hits, neither is any other revenge killer.

Dark Fallen Angel

Alakazam is A+ to me. Sure it dies to anything and everything, but guaranteed focus sash with immunity to all passive damage makes it a superb revenge killer. 135 base SpA hits hard, and it has the moves to take down most common threats. It's not meant to take hits, neither is any other revenge killer.
Yes, but at least other revenge killers CAN take hits, even if they are not meant to. For example, Keldeo can take Ice-type attacks, weaker Water-type attacks, Fire-type attacks (especially under rain, but not under sun unless they are non-STABed), and can even take Scizor's STABs. Terrakion can take most non-super-effective special attacks under sandstorm. The underrated Scarf Landorus-I can take some U-Turns and Close Combats, and is even immune to Thunder(bolt) and Earthquake. Same about Thundurus-T. Latios can take most Water-type, Fire-type and Fighting-type attacks with ease.

What Alakazam can take? One or other Psychic maybe, but that is it. This means that it relies heavily on Focus Sash to survive. Alakazam would surely like to be free to use Life Orb to hit even harder than it already hit.

Yes, but thanks to U-Turn, Scizor can get the correct counter for these Pokemon as they switch in. For instance, vs Gyarados Scizor can get in Rotom-W who Volt Switches out again to beat Gyarados OR gain momentum vs a switch to Rotom-W.
By this logic, Volcarona should be S-Rank. Plus, it has MUCH better STABs than the steel bug does.

I run an offensive Volcarona w/ QD/Psychic/Bug Buzz/Fire Blast, and the only thing that resists all 3 coverage moves is Heatran.

Physically defensive Gastrodon and Swampert can LOL at both Scizor and Rotom Wash. Gastro can stall out Tommy with Toxic, and Scald Scizor.

Zam is not A+ or in my opinion, even A. Break the sash (which is easy as everything runs pokemon that can take a hit and hit back, the priority to hell and back).

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
STAB U-Turn is certainly a plus for Scizor, but not enough to push it into S-Rank. Before its ban, Genesect was able to utilise this well due to better speed and more importantly Flame-Bolt-Beam coverage that prevented it from becoming easy set up foder.

Scirzor's average speed and merely acceptable bulk means that going for U-Turn is not always the safest move either. Life Orb does not change the fact that the majority of pokemon I've already listed in Keldeo, Landorus-T, Thundurus-T, Gyarados (forgot him :P), Tentacruel, Volcarona, Forretress, Skarmory, Jellicent....have little difficulty in simply going about their business as Scizor struggles to damage them. Even Swords Dance would only help against slower bulkier opponents (bar Tenta's Scald and what not). This easily exploitable flaw is the biggest thing keeping Scizor out of S-Rank.

OK, I'm going to push for Mew here(A-) since I did already nominate it for A-.
Every mon has a counter, shaky or hard. Except this mon.
Mew literally has NO counters. With EVERY type covered in it's movepool, it is literally unbeatable(in theory, in practice, most people if they use it use the standard set and are thus punished by the standard counters for not exercising creativity).
The only reason Mew ISN'T S-Rank is because it has 100 Speed, meaning mons like Gengar that outspeed can beat it, although 100/100/100 defenses are nothing to scoff at.
First off, your opponent has no clue whether to put in a Physical Wall or a Special Wall because, with both Swords Dance and Nasty Plot in it's movepool, you never really know.
Even worse, with a potential Baton Pass, the opponent has to be always offensive, allowing you to exercise a degree of prediction to your advantage.
How many people actually know that Mew gets BOTH U-turn as well as Volt Switch? That makes it a GREAT asset on VoltTurn teams.

With such a diverse movepool, balanced stats across the board, bulk on both special and physical sides to take a hit or two and the sheer unpredictability that means you never know whether your switch-in to Mew is safe or not, it has to be AT LEAST A-, if not A and one day maybe S-Rank.

OK, I'm going to push for Mew here(A-) since I did already nominate it for A-.
Every mon has a counter, shaky or hard. Except this mon.
Mew literally has NO counters. With EVERY type covered in it's movepool, it is literally unbeatable(in theory, in practice, most people if they use it use the standard set and are thus punished by the standard counters for not exercising creativity).
The only reason Mew ISN'T S-Rank is because it has 100 Speed, meaning mons like Gengar that outspeed can beat it, although 100/100/100 defenses are nothing to scoff at.
First off, your opponent has no clue whether to put in a Physical Wall or a Special Wall because, with both Swords Dance and Nasty Plot in it's movepool, you never really know.
Even worse, with a potential Baton Pass, the opponent has to be always offensive, allowing you to exercise a degree of prediction to your advantage.
How many people actually know that Mew gets BOTH U-turn as well as Volt Switch? That makes it a GREAT asset on VoltTurn teams.

With such a diverse movepool, balanced stats across the board, bulk on both special and physical sides to take a hit or two and the sheer unpredictability that means you never know whether your switch-in to Mew is safe or not, it has to be AT LEAST A-, if not A and one day maybe S-Rank.
As a physical sweeper, outclassed by Terrakion, Kyurem-B, Garchomp, Dnite, Lando-I in Sand, etc. These pokes have either great typing, good bulk, speed, great STABs, or a massive power boost in Sandstorm.

Special sweeper is outclassed by Gengar, Celebi, Latios, Jirachi, Keldeo, Dragonite in the rain, Volcarona, etc. These pokes have great typing, resists common priority, good speed, good bulk, excellent STABs, learns both Hurricane AND Thunder, which has downright excellent coverage (the only OU common mon that resists both is Magnezone and Magneton).

Physical wall is inferior to Lando-T, Hippowdown, Skarm etc

Special wall outclassed by Jirachi, Celebi (ESPECIALLY CELEBI), Jellicent, etc

The only good thing Mew can do is BP.

Offensive variants struggle against TTar. With 184 HP Evs, neutral natured TTar in Sandstorm can survive Aura Sphere and have a 12.5% chance to KO with Crunch/Pursuit, or get get bulkier with more HP EVs, and run LO, to always OHKO w/ Crunch

Mew just is a jack of all trades, master of NONE

If anyone here has used Alakazam, they'll know that it is far better in practice than on paper. The thing is, once its sash is broken, it can still switch out without fear of entry hazard damage. This means it can sweep teams without priority or faster pokemon while at 1 HP. Any team without either of these are practically already dead. Alakazam basically guarantees a kill a game. Honestly, there is no better glue for offensive teams in OU right now than Alakazam.

On Mew, just because a Pokemon can't be countered doesn't make it A or S worthy. Hydreigon and Salamence are impossible to counter, but they aren't in S (Hydreigon isn't even in A). Just because they don't know what you could be running doesn't mean that they can't wall it. It doesn't matter what they're running, no Mew wants to take a Draco Meteor or a Hydro Pump or a Stone Edge. There are so many prevalent threats faster than it that it has trouble staying alive. It's beaten by priority too. It's just so outclassed in every role that there's no real point in using it.

Although I think the stallbreaker Mew set gets less credit that it deserves, I agree that Mew isn't suitable for A rank. The problem isn't that it isn't good; it has a lot going for it, but it's just so damn hard to fit into a team these days because it doesn't offer many specific roles in a team that isn't done better by something else (for example - Jirachi, Celebi and Latias check/counter a number of OU's most dangerous threats, whereas Mew doesn't really have the same resistances to offer). It's one of those "cool" 'mons that you rarely get to utilise because your team building principles prevent you from deviating from what is tried-and-true.

I have to agree with Heracross in B rank. I mentioned it previously but was shot down. It can be a great status absorber with Guts, and a Sleep Talk set with Guts is certainly viable with how common Breloom is. It's also quite easy to snowball Moxie boosts, and with its great STABs its hard to wall. While Landorus-T does wall it to hell and back, its still very effective in use.

On the subject of Mew going up...

Honestly, I think you're vastly overestimating Mew, vyomov. Some time ago someone posted the exact same claim, actually, saying that Mew should be much higher ranked and how they were legitimately afraid of Mew getting banned in the future. Well, the thing is, Mew just isn't that good.

As others have already said, the best way to describe Mew is "a jack of all trades, a master of none." That's because, yes, Mew has an incredible diverse movepool that let's it due almost anything you want, and it has perfectly balanced stats to complement it. So why isn't it as good as you claim it to be? Well for one, Mew is a plain Psychic type, which many people agree as being an unfavorable type. Being weak to U-Turn and Pursuit and lacking in resistances really hinders Mew no matter what. The other main problem with Mew is that there's always something better. Sure, Mew can run a wide variety of sets ranging from Nasty Plot, Wall, Swords Dance, or Lead, but why use Mew when you can use something else? If you want a good Swords Dance sweeper, there are plenty of good options in OU already, including Terrakion, Breloom, Lucario, and Garchomp, all of which have their own great qualities such as speed, power, priority, great STAB coverage, solid typing, and even Spore in Breloom's case. Mew's balanced stats means that it lacks some of the raw power other common sweepers do, and its decent speed leaves it out-sped by quite a bit. Its typing doesn't give it great STAB moves to abuse or resistances to set up on, and its movepool, while fantastic, lacks some rare moves, like Breloom's Spore, that give other sweepers great advantages. The same can be said of the Nasty Plot set, although there's less competition for it, making it one of Mew's better sets. As a Wall, you have to again question why you're using Mew over something better. Sure, you could invest in its Special Defense and make it a special wall, but why do that when Jirachi or Celebi can do the same thing with better resistances? Why make Mew a lead set when you could use something faster and more powerful like Azelf? Also, you mention Mew has access to U-Turn and Volt Switch. Again, why use Mew as a pivot when Jirachi, Celebi, Rotom-W and Scizor can do the same thing?

The thing is, Mew just doesn't have a lot to make it stand out. Sure, it has incredible versatility, but that doesn't matter if it can't use it well. Now don't get me wrong, I think Mew is pretty good, actually. But we can't just say that Mew is unpredictable and therefore unbeatable. It may be "uncounterable" because it can run anything, but once you know what it's doing, it's fairly easy to handle. And don't forget, some stuff like Hydreigon are completely "uncounterable" with a single moveset, yet Hydreigon is B-Rank because its slow and has relatively bad typing. Same with Mew. Bottom line, Mew is versatile, but it has trouble distinguishing itself from the competition. B-Rank is perfectly fine for it, I think.

On the subject of Mew going up...

Honestly, I think you're vastly overestimating Mew, vyomov. Some time ago someone posted the exact same claim, actually, saying that Mew should be much higher ranked and how they were legitimately afraid of Mew getting banned in the future. Well, the thing is, Mew just isn't that good.

As others have already said, the best way to describe Mew is "a jack of all trades, a master of none." That's because, yes, Mew has an incredible diverse movepool that let's it due almost anything you want, and it has perfectly balanced stats to complement it. So why isn't it as good as you claim it to be? Well for one, Mew is a plain Psychic type, which many people agree as being an unfavorable type. Being weak to U-Turn and Pursuit and lacking in resistances really hinders Mew no matter what. The other main problem with Mew is that there's always something better. Sure, Mew can run a wide variety of sets ranging from Nasty Plot, Wall, Swords Dance, or Lead, but why use Mew when you can use something else? If you want a good Swords Dance sweeper, there are plenty of good options in OU already, including Terrakion, Breloom, Lucario, and Garchomp, all of which have their own great qualities such as speed, power, priority, great STAB coverage, solid typing, and even Spore in Breloom's case. Mew's balanced stats means that it lacks some of the raw power other common sweepers do, and its decent speed leaves it out-sped by quite a bit. Its typing doesn't give it great STAB moves to abuse or resistances to set up on, and its movepool, while fantastic, lacks some rare moves, like Breloom's Spore, that give other sweepers great advantages. The same can be said of the Nasty Plot set, although there's less competition for it, making it one of Mew's better sets. As a Wall, you have to again question why you're using Mew over something better. Sure, you could invest in its Special Defense and make it a special wall, but why do that when Jirachi or Celebi can do the same thing with better resistances? Why make Mew a lead set when you could use something faster and more powerful like Azelf? Also, you mention Mew has access to U-Turn and Volt Switch. Again, why use Mew as a pivot when Jirachi, Celebi, Rotom-W and Scizor can do the same thing?

The thing is, Mew just doesn't have a lot to make it stand out. Sure, it has incredible versatility, but that doesn't matter if it can't use it well. Now don't get me wrong, I think Mew is pretty good, actually. But we can't just say that Mew is unpredictable and therefore unbeatable. It may be "uncounterable" because it can run anything, but once you know what it's doing, it's fairly easy to handle. And don't forget, some stuff like Hydreigon are completely "uncounterable" with a single moveset, yet Hydreigon is B-Rank because its slow and has relatively bad typing. Same with Mew. Bottom line, Mew is versatile, but it has trouble distinguishing itself from the competition. B-Rank is perfectly fine for it, I think.
And dont forget, Thundurus-Therian ALSO has both Volt Switch and U-Turn, and backed by higher offenses (significanlty higher in the SpA area) and slightly better speed.

Also I would argue Hydreigon's typing is pretty good. Dark/Dragon is a good STAB combo, as it allows the Hydra to tear apart defensive cores with relative ease, especially the AmoongBro core. Dark Pulse+Superpower+Draco Meteor+Fire Blast will rip apart most cores. CeleTran is dead, AmoongBro is dead, Celachi is dead, etc etc.

Well, this is the problem.
Everybody says it is outclassed by something or the other, because "there are better sweepers in each category".
But with a lot of those sweepers, your opponent has a fair idea of what you might be running(for instance, Terrakion is almost guaranteed to have Close Combat and Stone Edge) .
Jack-of-all-trades, Master of none is a cliche. In reality, balance across everything is key to success. An imbalanced pokemon with VERY high attack but bad other stats like Rampardos for instance doesn't do well at all. Similarly, Shuckle may have some of the best defenses in the game but with a lack of balance, it can't do well at all. Mew has balance. Agreed, there are better SD sweepers. Agreed, there are better Nasty Plot sweepers. But which mon apart from Mew can claim to have access to both, meaning your opponent has no clue what to actually use against it. Special Walls fear the SD set, while vice versa for physical walls. You can't even status Mew because you get statused as well and Mew can always Heal Bell itself. Mew can actually do well on many teams because it can give SO much coverage that your opponent has no idea what he can ACTUALLY switch into it.
Well, I've been nominating it for A-, because despite everybody calling it a jack-of-trades, it is a serious threat to sweepers who have no idea what to hit it with, making it a GREAT late-game cleaner

Well, this is the problem.
Everybody says it is outclassed by something or the other, because "there are better sweepers in each category".
But with a lot of those sweepers, your opponent has a fair idea of what you might be running(for instance, Terrakion is almost guaranteed to have Close Combat and Stone Edge) .
Jack-of-all-trades, Master of none is a cliche. In reality, balance across everything is key to success. An imbalanced pokemon with VERY high attack but bad other stats like Rampardos for instance doesn't do well at all. Similarly, Shuckle may have some of the best defenses in the game but with a lack of balance, it can't do well at all. Mew has balance. Agreed, there are better SD sweepers. Agreed, there are better Nasty Plot sweepers. But which mon apart from Mew can claim to have access to both, meaning your opponent has no clue what to actually use against it. Special Walls fear the SD set, while vice versa for physical walls. You can't even status Mew because you get statused as well and Mew can always Heal Bell itself. Mew can actually do well on many teams because it can give SO much coverage that your opponent has no idea what he can ACTUALLY switch into it.
Well, I've been nominating it for A-, because despite everybody calling it a jack-of-trades, it is a serious threat to sweepers who have no idea what to hit it with, making it a GREAT late-game cleaner
Again, just because people don't know what Mew is running at first, doesn't mean they can't answer it. Once they do find out what it is running, it's fairly easy to stop since it isn't as dangerous a sweeper as the tried-and-true sweepers already in OU. Also, what's stopping a powerful Scarfer or any other faster threat from coming in and blasting Mew? It's not like Mew has any good resistances to protect it from that sort of thing.

Seriously though, just because Mew can run almost anything and can be unpredictable, that doesn't necessarily make it good. Also, is that the only argument you have for Mew moving up? Because that's the only one you've presented so far.

Well, to be fair, Mew does pull off a physical wall/stallbreaker set nicely. The closest thing to it is Jellicent, who has a radically different typing and stat distribution, so it's probably Mew's best chance at having a niche in OU, followed by the Nasty Plot set. But still, it's a niche set, and it's not something you can just put on any team. The team has to need it over its competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)