Sketchmons (NOW PLAYABLE on PS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
How would a Prankster like Haze in this metagame, I wonder? Kinda like an Unaware 'mon, only having to spend a turn setting up its (although permanent) trap.

Then again, Choice users are all running around with the prettiest tools in the toolbox as far as moves go. Seed Flare, Sacred Fire, Aura Sphere... they're becoming staples now. Who needs boosts anyway?

Until now, we have mostly been theorymoning about pokemon who would end up good with its sketch move. But who here would actually want to try this metagame (as in, making an actual team based on it and battling with someone else)?
I personally have been trying to host little tournaments in PS, which have all failed. Would anybody be interested if there's a possibility to actually try this metagame?

Btw, I think that since set-up sweepers will be quite dominant, haze/heart swap users, phazers or unaware users would be quite useful in this meta, although they can't stop choice users with shit-powerful moves like v-create darmanitan or something.
EDIT: Holy shit, fuck haze, heart swap would be amazing (like Hackmons). Stealing a shell smash boost using heart swap would be awesome.

Also, here's some sets of my own:

Gothitelle @ leftovers
Trait: Shadow Tag
Evs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe (252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spa or something similar will also be usable)
Nature: Bold
~ Substitute
~ Quiver Dance
~ Psychic / Psyshock
~ Hidden power Fighting

This pokemon was one of my first theorymons. Gothitelle is quite a strong threat in normal OU, trapping helpless pokemon and setting up substitutes and calm minds. The problem is, even if he (yes, HE. All shadow tag gothitelle are male, iirc) sets up 6 calm minds, he has trouble sweeping because of his low speed. However, quiver dance boosts SPEED with special attack and defense, enabling Gothitelle to sweep as much as it wants after it finished setting up.
As you see, the combination of Psychic/Psyshock with HP Fighting with Gothitelle leaves it to be walled by other fellow Psychics. However, after a few quiver dances, they probably can't do much against you anyways.

Kyurem-B @ White Herb
Trait : Teravolt
Evs: 252 Atk, 4 Spatk, 252 Spe (4 Atk, 252 Spatk, 252 Spe is also fine when you want to hit harder with ice beam / blizzard, and since Kyurem-B has a sky-high attack stat anyways)
Nature: Adamant / Jolly

~ Shell Smash
~ Dragon Claw
~ Fusion Bolt
~ Ice beam / Blizzard

It has 170 base attack, which is 10 less than Deoxys-A. It has good bulk; 125/100/90 defenses can easily take a hit (unless it's a strong, super effective hit). It has managable speed: 95. All this, and add shell smash, and you have a Badass Monster in your...screen. Seriously, Shell Smash Kyurem-B is as scary as Godzilla with a full tank of Redbull. After Kyurem-B uses shell smash, it has an attack stat of 964 with adamant. That's almost the attack stat of Marowak with Thick Club using Swords Dance (now you see, shit's getting real.) This thing is so strong, it's INSANE. Dragon Claw kills, Fusion Bolt kills, and Ice beam kills (even with minimum investment, Kyurem-B has a special attack stat of 580 after shell smash). Blizzard should only be used in hail, and since abomasnow fell to UU, I wouldn't say it would get much use. Use ice beam. It's reliable and will kill anyways.

Tornadus @ Focus Sash / Life Orb / Leftovers
Trait : Prankster
Evs: 4 Atk, 252 Spatk, 252 Spe or 252 Spatk, 4 Spdef, 252 Spe if you're not using any physical moves
Nature: Naive

~ Heart Swap
~ Hurricane / Air Slash
~ Focus Blast / Brick Break / Superpower
~ Hidden Power Ice / Grass Knot / Heat Wave

Scared of all the strong set-up sweepers? This might help. Let's say, for example, that a Kyurem-B with the set above uses Shell Smash. Your teams has absolutely nothing to counter. Well, GG...What? Tornadus? Bah, Tornadus can't take a single hit though...Huh, what? Focus sash? Prankster Heart Swap? GG for your opponent.
Using Heart Swap will make your Tornadus steal all the boosts from your opponent, while your foolish opponent will try to wreck you with that +2 STAB Dragon Claw. Of course, Tornadus can't take that anyways. If you are certain that the opposing pokemon can't KO your pathetic 79/70/80 defenses Tornadus, then use Life Orb or Leftovers...No. If I were you, I would use Focus Sash.
So, after you steal your opponent's boosts, you can start sweeping yourself! While the usual mixed set will prefer Superpower as the fighting move, Focus Blast of Brick Break will be more beneficial as it doesn't lower your stats. However, beware that Focus Blast has a VERY shaky accuracy and Brick Break has kind of a low base power. The last move is up to your choice: choose what you want to kill and pick a move suitable for killing it.

Swoobat @ Leftovers
Trait: Simple
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Satk / 252 Spe
Timid nature
-Tail Glow
-Substitute
-Stored Power
-Hidden Power Ice

Deluks917

Ride on Shooting Star
Something suffiently fast with Tail Glow might also be very strong. jolteon Perhaps. Or maybe Raikou?

I think Choice Scarf is pretty bad in this metagame since I imagine change gear will be by far the most common boosting move.

Swoobat is pretty fast (only 4 Pokemon naturally outspeed in OU), and Simple Tail Glow gives it max SpAtk, also gives it a 140 damage STAB move.

Or we could give it Shell Smash and White Herb, replacing sub with Amnesia is also an option.

I thank everyone for the good discussion going on :)

I had a little Sketchmons tournament in PS some days ago, and everything was as predicted: tons of set-up sweepers, some choiced pokes with the additional sketched move helping with their movepools. However, there weren't that many defensive options. Even looking at the sets you guys mentioned, most of them are great offensive threats; but there aren't any defensive sets yet. The closest thing which can be called as a "defensive set" are the spinning tyranitar and miltank.

What kind of defensive threats could there be? Would these defensive threats be successful enough to survive from set-up and wide-movepool attackers? How can they benefit from the single sketch?

With this, I present my own defensive set:

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
Evs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD (Evs can be changed if you want it to be more hard-hitting, defensive, specially defensive,etc.)
Nature: Sassy (See above.)

~ Stealth Rock
~ Recover
~ Gyro Ball
~ Earthquake / Hidden Power Ice / Toxic

Bronzong is a very solid wall in UU, and functions well in OU, despite getting outclassed by Ferrothorn. Bronzong's biggest flaw is a lack of recovery; while Ferrothorn can regenerate HP and give pressure to the opponent with leech seed, Bronzong's only recovery move is rest, making it vulnerable to repeated attacks. However, with recover, Bronzong can recover off any damage it receives from the opponent. With 67 / 116 / 116 defenses, this steel bell isn't gonna break down easily.

(Tried to make another set of Dusclops but was reminded that it has really bad HP.)

Possibilities that spring to mind:
Arcanine using Trick to swap a Flame Orb for Leftovers.
Gastro Acid will be a fun move to mess with, especially on stuff like Gastrodon and Chandelure.
Anything can learn Spore. Now we don't have to rely on Breloom and Amoonguss. Whimsicott and Liepard will have a ball with this.
Along the lines of coverage, almost any Pokemon can get the perfect neutral Ghost-Fighting coverage (HP Fighting and Shadow Ball, for example).
Sharpedo gets Baton Pass to pass Speed boosts to something like Rhyperior.
Ferrothorn, Nidoqueen, and others have access to all three entry hazards.

Another fun thing (already mentioned) will be crazy Serene Grace abuse. Moves that welcome a Serene Grace boost (Jirachi and Togekiss):
Sludge Bomb
Thunder
Sacred Fire
Shadow Ball
Water Pulse
Iron Head
Air Slash
Relic Song
Lava Plume
Mud Bomb

Hmmm... perhaps I could put some "defensive" sets here... starting with the ultimate wall himself. (Bolding the Sketched move for convenience's sake.)

Shuckle @ Chesto Berry/Lum Berry
Trait: Contrary
Suggested EV's: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD
Suggested Nature: Impish
(EV's/Nature can be tweaked, depending on whether your team has things like Sand support or needs a more specialized Shuckle; spread provided ensures equivalent defenses)

~ Shell Smash
~ Power Swap
~ Toxic
~ Rest

Contrary Shell Smash... not all too great-sounding, at first. A measly +1 in each Defense for -2 in both attack stats and speed... Why would anything want to run that? So then it has terrible attack drops to swap over with Power Swap; Shuckle can already do something like this with Power Split, but I'm unsure how that works with boosts; that is, is a +2 Haxorus still considered at +2 after Power Split, meaning that it actually still has twice the averaged attack? This takes all the guesswork out of that strategy; the other Shell Smasher is now at -2 in both attacks and -1 in both defenses (assuming you both Shell Smashed once). Your speed stats are unaffected, but Shuckle doesn't care to outspeed things anyway, and can outlast regardless. Berry choice is up to your personal preference in pairing with Rest.

Murkrow @ Eviolite
Trait: Prankster
Suggested EV's: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD
Suggested Nature: Impish
(EV's/Nature can be tweaked, depending on whether your team needs a more specialized Murkrow; spread shown is ideal for equivalent defenses)

~ Cosmic Power
~ Roost
~ Toxic/Taunt/Swagger/Substitute/other
~ Substitute/Sucker Punch/Foul Play/Mirror Move/other

You must think I'm quite foolish to suggest something that only has passable bulk with Eviolite; and perhaps I am. However... it only gets bulkier with the addition of Cosmic Power; which, thanks to the help of Prankster, it can use to essentially stack another Eviolite boost atop its defenses before most moves have a chance to hit it. Roost is vital to recovery, but the final two moves are mainly filler, depending on exactly how you'd like your Murkrow to whittle the opponent down (or other options, if you already have things to ensure your opponent is being whittled down while Murkrow sits there).

I may post more ideas after some sleep, but I hope these two kickstart more while I do!

Chinchou

Banned deucer.
^ That Shuckle would wreck.

A set I found interesting:

Breloom @ Leftover
Jolly Nature, Technician
252 Speeed, 252 Attack, 6 HP
~ Spore
~ Shell Smash
~ Bullet Seed
~ Mach Punch

Weird set right, but the goal is to put the opponent to sleep, then Shell Smash. But what if the opponent wakes up??? Then you are at at least +2 and can Spore them again and again!

I quite like the idea of a snorlax with extreme speed, imagine that with a choice band...
But what would be even better is deoxys-a with focus sash, then give it shell smash.
O_o

I love the idea of sketchmons. You get the creativeness of BH without its absolute craziness.

I just want to note that some move choices aren't necessarily as obvious as others. Here is an except from The_Eevee_General's Guide to BH to introduce you to the idea.

Moves and Abilities:

Focus Blast vs. Aura Sphere? Hone Claws vs. Coil? Imposter vs. Transform?

Some move choices are easier to spot than others.

Blue Flare: 130/85/5, 20% chance to Burn
vs.
Fire Blast: 120/85/5, 10% chance to Burn

~

Shift Gear: -/-/10, +2 Speed, +1 Attack
vs.
Dragon Dance: -/-/20, +1 Speed, +1 Attack

~

Crabhammer: 90/90/10, High critical hit rate
vs.
Aqua Tail: 90/90/10, no effect

~

Aeroblast: 100/95/5, High critical hit rate
vs.
Air Slash: 75/95/20, 30% chance to flinch (save for Serene Grace)

~

Likewise, Quiver Dance>Calm Mind, Coil>Bulk Up/Hone Claws, Minimize>Double Team, Psystrike>Psyshock, etc.

Moves that were once unique to one or a few Pokemon are available to anyone. Sometimes, we forget about them.

What about certain situations? Aura Sphere is the preferred special Fighting-type attack unless you're running No Guard. Then use Focus Blast. The same applies to Ice Beam and Blizzard or Dragon Claw and Dragon Rush.

When considering what move to use, generally the move with the best combination of power and accuracy is preferred. There are no restrictions so don't forget about unique moves like Magma Storm and Bolt Strike. Also take notice of PP. ExtremeSpeed only has 8. For that reason I opt for Return on my Unaware Arceus. Its goal is longevity, not power.

Now on to my comments about the metagame. There is no reason as to why you would lack a Sheer Force Landorus-I on your team. Not only are its STAB's extremely powerful, but it's coverage will sting just as much. Since it has such high attack on both sides of the spectrum, how will Blissey fair when it takes a Low Sweep hits her in the face? Or how about a nice Ice Beam for Zapdos? Very scary Pokemon.

The hazard metagame is extremely different now, since anything can run Rapid Spin or SR. Gone are the conventional leads, use the mightiest Spikes and SR setter as you can please. That's right folks, I am talking about the mighty Ninjask!

Ninjask (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 HP OR Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
-Stealth Rock
-Spikes
-Taunt
-Baton Pass / U-turn

Better have a plan for this baby, most likely either Sand Stream or Prankster Taunt. Has the highest base speed of any Pokemon meaning it will nearly alays go first. After setting SR/Spikes, use the speed boosts you have accumlated to start your HO teams on a good foot. But ninjask faces stiff competition from...

Thundurus (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk) or Naive with 128 atk EV's
- Taunt / Superpower
- Stealth Rock / Close Combat
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Lead Prankster Thundurus! That smexy base 111 Prankster means nothing outside of Whimsicott will be able to stop its Stealth Rock! Great coverage in BoltBeam means it can hit pretty much anything hard. An opposing Tyranitar is problematic, since its Sandstorm will likely break your sash while you have to risk setting up your own SR or preventing his. Don't think about attacking, you probably will not make a dent. However, Ttar has to watch out for a surprise Close Combat. Thunderus has great mixed attacking stats, so watch out because you never know what he will run for coverage!

I suspect as the metagame goes on after this leads intro, Tornadus with Fighting+Flying will replace Thundurus as the go-to lead, since Thudurus' Prankster and better STAB is better to be reserved as a sweeper.

Wobbuffet (M) @ Mental Herb
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 28 HP / 232 Def / 248 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Whirlwind
- Perish Song
- Milk Drink
- Dragon Tail

Phaze with Whirlwind or Dragon Tail. Perish Trap. Recover. Repeat. Get one free taunt recovery. probably broken

Edit: opps :( thundy is fine

Aura Sphere's not the special Fighting attack of preference: the only reason why running Focus Blast is stomping the likes of Tyranitar and the Pink Blobs, thus on pokes like Gengar, Alakazam and (maybe) Reuniclus it's better to use Secret Sword, which targets their lowest defense.

Also, Pillsbury, you missed the part in the OP that says:
In this metagame, every single pokemon can learn sketch.
But ONCE. Only once.
It's basically like necturna
Your Ninjask is unavailable here and the same goes for Thundurus and Wobbuffet.

Blue flare's not always a great solution: it trades 10 points in power for the inability to choose a great coverage move.

I think there does have to be a ban on boosting moves. while this opens up a lot of creative potential and adds lots of new things, dealing with shell smash and tail glow in particular is practically impossible. For example, how would you deal with a shell smash moxie salamence? These threats are just too good. Tail glow is a huge immediate boost for thing like latios and I think it should go too.

One thing I am having a blast with is contrary shuckle. I have been using rock slide on all sets, but the other moves can change. V-Create is pretty cool, but I personally like superpower. Superpower gives shuckle greater defense, and something for attack. Superpower/Rock Slide/Recover/Toxic is something I guess. It is no top tier mon, but in sandstorm it can kind of wall everything. Rest and sleep talk are also options I guess. I have been using max attack and HP because max attack makes a huge difference for boosted shuckle. And I have been using Spinda a little bit too. V-Create and Superpower and Return and encore can make something of a sweeper. Not really, but it's fun! There are tons of other fun things as well. I have been experimenting with custap ferrothorn (rapid spin) and it is cool. Belly drum snorlax is a huge threat, especially with gluttony and a sitrus berry. Also earthquake jumpluff is something new, while it is not exactly top tier it is decent under chlorphyll. For now it is shell smash but that really needs to be banned soon, but Kabutops is really strong. Rock/Fighting is only stopped by landorus gliscor hippowdon golurk... And waterfall then. In terms of actually winning matches I just use quagsire with recover/ice punch/earthquake/Will-O-Wisp. Sacred fire is an option but it doesn't burn as much. Blue flare latis are really strong, and can easily sweep with CM.

Somebody say shift gear ursaring (again shell smash right now)

I think there does have to be a ban on boosting moves. while this opens up a lot of creative potential and adds lots of new things, dealing with shell smash and tail glow in particular is practically impossible. For example, how would you deal with a shell smash moxie salamence? These threats are just too good. Tail glow is a huge immediate boost for thing like latios and I think it should go too.
Yes, you could run boosting moves... but then you lose out on possible coverage options. Would Latios prefer Tail Glow... or an attack like Aura Sphere, Secret Sword, Fire Blast, or Flamethrower? Granted, things with already great movepools will probably just run said boosting moves; but still...

One thing I am having a blast with is contrary shuckle. I have been using rock slide on all sets, but the other moves can change. V-Create is pretty cool, but I personally like superpower. Superpower gives shuckle greater defense, and something for attack. Superpower/Rock Slide/Recover/Toxic is something I guess. It is no top tier mon, but in sandstorm it can kind of wall everything. Rest and sleep talk are also options I guess. I have been using max attack and HP because max attack makes a huge difference for boosted shuckle. And I have been using Spinda a little bit too. V-Create and Superpower and Return and encore can make something of a sweeper. Not really, but it's fun!
Glad you're enjoying Shuckle... why not try using my set?

There are tons of other fun things as well. I have been experimenting with custap ferrothorn (rapid spin) and it is cool. Belly drum snorlax is a huge threat, especially with gluttony and a sitrus berry. Also earthquake jumpluff is something new, while it is not exactly top tier it is decent under chlorphyll. For now it is shell smash but that really needs to be banned soon, but Kabutops is really strong. Rock/Fighting is only stopped by landorus gliscor hippowdon golurk... And waterfall then. In terms of actually winning matches I just use quagsire with recover/ice punch/earthquake/Will-O-Wisp. Sacred fire is an option but it doesn't burn as much. Blue flare latis are really strong, and can easily sweep with CM.
Okay, so you say Latios runs Tail Glow... but then you say it and Latias run Blue Flare, too? Or did you mean just Latias here? Anyways, yeah... there's a lot more to this metagame than simply "slap the best boosting moves on everything," to be sure...

Somebody say shift gear ursaring (again shell smash right now)
Something tells me Ursaring wants 80 base power +2 priority STAB more than it wants +2 speed and +1 attack, or even a Shell Smash; though I could definitely be wrong. ^^;

Anybody think of this??

Sigilyph @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 128 Spd / 252 SAtk / 128 HP
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Stored Power
- Heat Wave/HP Fighting
- Ice Beam/Substitute

Shell smash plus a life orb boosted stored power is extremely strong killing most threats.... I never played sketchmons but i'm absolutely certain this set will work

Quiver lando > rp genesect

After one quiver it can just rip through most teams with earth power, focus blast, and hp ice.

Im giving Flareon the move its been waiting for......Flare Blitz!also anyone remember simple? Bibareal will become a monster with curse and extreme speed or swords dance

OK my sets are

Chansey @ eviolite
ability: natural cure
evs: 252 hp 252 def 4 sdef
nature: bold
wish
heal bell
protect
transform

this set works as a clerk and a ditto YAY! the goal of this set is to heal your pokemon and then transform into the probably boosted opponent.

Blissey @ leftovers
ability: natural cure or serene grace
evs: 252 hp 252 sdef 4 def
nature: calm
toxic
softboild
ice beam
cotton guard
well the crux of this set is to use cotton guard against a special attacker while they switch to a physical attacker and you will already be to buffed up for them.

thundorus therian @ life orb/choice scarf/choice specs
ability: volt absorb
evs: 252 spe 252 satk 4 def
nature: (life orb/choice specs) timid (choice scarf) modest
thunder
HP ice
focus blast
hurricane
this set is meant for rain it can use two 120 power moves with 100% accuracy, STAB and with a 30% chance to eather paralyze or confuse the target while also having 145 satk

gothitelle @ leftovers
ability: shadow tag
evs: 252 hp 240 def 16 sdef
nature: calm
protect
flash
substitute
perish song
the first perish song trapper with a full set and you may think flash is totally useless but she has no recovery moves bar rest and it is pointless to attack because the opponent will dye anyway so just use perish song protect substitute and another protect and you win XD

Tornadus with Prankster Spore will be incredible in this metagame. You can essentially disable any would-be counter, leaving you free to do whatever. It would also make for an amazing revenge killer, halting the sweep of anything caught without a Substitute or Lum Berry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)