Sticky Have a question? Ask it here! (NOT SM QUESTIONS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
No, there isn't a minimum other than having something, preferably of your own.

Can anybody give suggestions to a third member of my Super Single subway team who synergizes well with the following Pokemon:

@Choice Band
248 HP/252 Atk/8 Def
U-Turn
Bullet Punch
Superpower
Night Slash(AI is reluctant to switch so Night Slash for more Power)

@Expert Belt
4 Atk/ 252 SpA/252 Spe
Draco Meteor
Dark Pulse
Fire Blast
Earthquake

Changing Evs or move suggestions is also welcome.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
Modest
4 HP/252 SPA/252 SPE
Adaptability
Tri Attack/Hidden Power Fire/Dark Pulse/Ice Beam

OR

Porygon-Z @ Choice Specs
Timid
4 HP/252 SPA/252 SPE
Adaptability
Tri Attack/Psychic/Hidden Power Fire/Thunderbolt

Thanks!
The Porygon Z i use is the former with Tri Attack/Psychic/Ice Beam/Tbolt I dont know what you're hitting in the battle hall with those 4 moves but maybe they are better for coverage reasons? I've swept a few people before by being locked into Psychic weirdly enough so it is pretty good for neutral hits.

Can anybody give suggestions to a third member of my Super Single subway team who synergizes well with the following Pokemon:

@Choice Band
248 HP/252 Atk/8 Def
U-Turn
Bullet Punch
Superpower

@Expert Belt
4 Atk/ 252 SpA/252 Spe
Draco Meteor
Dark Pulse
Fire Blast
Earthquake

About the Hydreigon set, I don't get why do you want an expert belt. The only point of this item is to bluff a choice item but there's no bluff against the AI so give it a life orb. You can also give a white herb to use 2 dracos in a row, one time items are great in 3v3 matches.

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon

@Choice Band
248 HP/252 Atk/8 Def
U-Turn
Bullet Punch
Superpower

@Expert Belt
4 Atk/ 252 SpA/252 Spe
Draco Meteor
Dark Pulse
Fire Blast
Earthquake

Since you're using a Steel-type and a Dragon-type, the obvious choice for a third Pokemon would be a Water-type. Steel/Dragon/Water is a common combination in singles that has be shown to work well numerous times.

Keep in mind that while Scizor and Hydreigon may seem like a good combination together, they are horribly weak to Fire/Fighting types. Infernape especially can outspeed and OHKO both of those Pokemon using its STABs, and it's pretty common because it's used by Battle Girls and Black Belts and they are among the most commonly encountered trainer types after you reach 28 wins. You'll definitely want your last Pokemon to be able to beat those guys consistently.

I assume you got those sets from the analyses on-site. Choice Band Scizor should be ok, but if you have flawless IVs then that EV spread is a bit inefficient at level 50. You would have 4 wasted EVs in HP and Def. That spread is used in OU because it allows Scizor to switch in to Stealth Rock 1 extra time, but that is meaningless in the Subway. Obviously I don't know what IVs you have but you should run Adamant with 252HP/252Att/4Speed. I would put the last 4 EVs in Speed to get one extra point to outspeed other Scizor that don't invest in speed (which is all of them), but again it depends on your IVs.

I don't think running mixed Hydreigon with Earthquake is worth it when you have Earth Power available (which is now legal with Dark Pulse in BW2 because of the move tutors). Also, if you're planning on getting a long streak, replace Fire Blast with Flamethrower. Accuracy is more important in the Subway because a single miss can cost you streaks. I'd run Draco Meteor/Dark Pulse/Flamethower/Earth Power or Dragon Pulse. Dragon Pulse is nice for a consistent Dragon-type STAB that won't miss. You could easily replace Draco Meteor with Dragon Pulse too, which lets you keep Earth Power for the rare Heatran (who walls you otherwise). It's up to you. Expert Belt generally isn't a good idea for Dragon-types because their STABs don't have very good super-effective coverage. Life Orb might be better, but if the recoil bothers you then Expert Belt or Wise Glasses can be used, as can White Herb for Draco Meteor. The EV spread is fine, although if you do end up running all Special attacks, you should move those 4 Attack EVs into HP. I'd run a Speed-boosting nature.

Thanks for the help guys, Scizor's IV spread is actually 31/31/30/07/08/31 so maxing the HP and adding the rest in speed sounds like a good idea for repeated wins.

For Hydreigon I'd think I'll be runnning the White Herb for the ability to fire Recoil-free Draco Meteors and I might shift the 4 Atk EV's to HP and remove Earthquake for Earth Power so I should change the Nature to Timid as I'll be running all special moves. Flametrhower over Fire Blast sounds better as a miss could cost me the game.

However I can't think of a Water type who works well with this team, Any suggestions ?

i'm not a huge expert on the subway, but how about gyarados?

gyarados could definitely help alleviate your problem with fire/fighters. hydreigon also resists that bloody electric type, which is good for you defensively. another excellent defensive boon is the intimidate ability, which can really be a lifesaver - though moxie is certainly an option, especially if the gyarados is chosen to wear a *~*fabulous*~* scarf (or to be maxed in speed) to clean up afterwards. cleaning up is even easier b/c of it resisting key moves like vacuum wave/bullet punch/mach punch/etc.

Gyarados sounds like a great idea, but which Gyarados variant should I run, Bulky DD, Offensive DD or Scarfed Gyarados? As I prefer my matches quick I'm leaning to the Scarfed or the Offensive variant however it's up to you guys.

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Though matches certainly go faster when everything just starts hitting hard right off the bat, it's often easy to get walled at some point in your run when you don't have something that can set up.

Accordingly, you might want to try this Gyarados, used by Crimson in a 193 win streak:

Adamant
Intimidate
156 HP / 72 Atk / 96 Def / 184 Spe
-Waterfall
-Dragon dance
-Bounce
-Taunt

Crimson originally played it with Shell Bell, but that was only because Leftovers was taken elsewhere on his team. The accuracy on Bounce can be a little frustrating sometimes, but with Intimidate and Leftovers, you've got great bulk, and set up pretty easily on a lot of things, while still being able to hit pretty hard. I played around with it some back in the day and found it quite effective.

A further note is to be wary of using the standard competitive sets in the Subway. The best set of moves against a player who will be switching regularly is very, very different from the best set of moves for trying to build a super consistent team against a rather simple AI. A key resource for Subway moveset choices is the Subway streak leaderboard here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102593

If a pokemon with a speed stat of like 233 holds a Choice Scarf, its speed will be 349.5. Is this number going to be rounded up or down? I guess it's the same way with the other Choice items?

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
If a pokemon with a speed stat of like 233 holds a Choice Scarf, its speed will be 349.5. Is this number going to be rounded up or down? I guess it's the same way with the other Choice items?
iirc, all decimal numbers found in the game are truncated, so they round down. I am not 100% certain on this, however.

In a bout of nostalgia I'm playing through SoulSilver and actually training up Mr. Pokemon's togepi.

Is it possible at all to obtain Shiny Stone in-game BEFORE the National Dex? It's not offered as a prize at the Pokeathlon before the National Dex, and the one found in the National Park requires Rock Climb.

Togetic doesn't have enough firepower to go through the Elite Four...

Thanks!

In a bout of nostalgia I'm playing through SoulSilver and actually training up Mr. Pokemon's togepi.

Is it possible at all to obtain Shiny Stone in-game BEFORE the National Dex? It's not offered as a prize at the Pokeathlon before the National Dex, and the one found in the National Park requires Rock Climb.

Togetic doesn't have enough firepower to go through the Elite Four...

Thanks!
No, it's not. At least, togetic can take hits and learn strong moves like fire blast. It's not great but for the story line mode, it's good enough I guess.

No, it's not. At least, togetic can take hits and learn strong moves like fire blast. It's not great but for the story line mode, it's good enough I guess.
Thanks! Yeah for storyline mode it's no biggie, and I can always trade over a stone from another version, but one would've thought that HGSS would emphasize the fact that Togepi received an awesome Gen IV evolution.

has anyone managed to beat 1:03:9:5 seconds on a speedrun of pokemon gold on emulator just wondering cause I did and wonder if I currently hold the world record (:

has anyone managed to beat 1:03:9:5 seconds on a speedrun of pokemon gold on emulator just wondering cause I did and wonder if I currently hold the world record (:
what

Assuming that's days:hours:minutes:seconds that's not even a quick time. I'd always finish in under 20 hours, and that was when I was like 12 years old and just messed around.

Shuckle help

I am double battling. I have a tyranitar with sand stream so it can help my shuckle. My shuckle has the ability contrary and needs 4 moves. my options are flash, trick room, toxic, rest, substitute, power split, shell smash(what moves?). and what item? and if this is the wrong place to ask this can some one steer me in the right direction, im still a major noob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)