Gen V STABmons

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantom

Banned deucer.
No, both were already compatible, it's just that aromatherapy is used over heal bell for those random soundproof pokemon.
Not really, Wish was an event move in gen3 i think. And aromatherapy was an egg move in gen 4. They were incompatible but now I suppose they aren't.

I think it would be better to run Chlorophyll because if you run Sap Sipper, then anything that is immune to or resists E-Speed and outspeeds Sawsbuck can stop it's sweep. This set is probably the best Sawsbuck can run.

Sawsbuck @ Lum Berry
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Spore
- Extremespeed
- Horn Leech / Coverage Move

Lum Berry helps Sawsbuck avoid Prankster status moves, primarily Whimsicott Spore and Sableye Dark Void.

Lum berry is literally only helpful against sableye, everything else is outprioritized by E-speed. The only things that can wall Sawsbuck in the sun are: Skarmory, Ferrorthorn, and Forretress. +6 lum berry E-speed does 69-81% to 248Hp scizor, Life orb likewise deals roughly 88%. Terrakion is killed by the same move with ease. The trend here is that every true counter to sawsbuck is beaten by magnezone.

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
Although Kyurem-B does appreciate DD being added to it's moveset, it could still utilize Hone Claws well in conjunction with it's new STAB moves. Hone Claws + Dragon Rush + Icicle Crash, + Fusion Bolt for a physical boltbeam coverage. Or go mixed and utilize that with Blizzard instead.

Also Bibarel is Normal/Water. And it gets Simple. Think of the possibilities. Shell Smash + Extremespeed + Water Spout (I know it's special, but after a 4x boost its still powerful)/Waterfall/Crabhammer/Aqua Jet, but with it's paper-thin defenses Water Spout will probably be useless anyway. Also gets Baton Pass and reliable recovery with Slack Off.

Another thing we were talking about in the lab was all Dark types getting Hone Claws, which pretty much makes Dark Void Spore, which is helpful in case your Spore user is down. Or with Tyranitar, a 100% accurate Stone Edge.

Gliscor, Hippo and Donphan can also all set up Spikes now. And Jirachi is going to be even more annoying than usual with Luster Purge.

Mix-Ape will be more useful now with two ways to go mixed. Either Close Combat with Blue Flare/Fusion Flare or Aura Sphere with V-Create/Sacred Fire.

Out of interest, Weavile gets Night Daze now, a much better Dark STAB that was exclusive to the Zoroark line. How cool!

Weavile could use Dark Void to set up SD easier and function as a late game sweeper with a set of Swords Dance / Dark Void / Ice Shard / Sucker Punch. It can run max Attack because of priority, altho one could consider running Speed and going for Icicile Crash/Ice Punch and/or Night Slash to get more power.

It loses out on coverage for steel-types by putting Dark Void into it's moveset but this way he will get an SD out for certain. It's designed for late game cleaning.

The problem with Weavile is that, like a lot of frail attackers, it is hurt by the large Extremespeed distribution. Meaning you not only need to hurt Steel-types badly before you can use it, you also need to get rid of your opponent's E-Speeders.

SpartanMalice

Dark Void doesn't get priority though, so running speed's still a good idea, even with base 125 speed.

Also, I just noticed every Normal type gets Judgement. Nature Power's there for EQ coverage (but it probably won't work well with Judgement since it's physical)... but judgement provides another coverage move if they ditch a boosting item like life orb for a plate, but then again all Normal types get a good boosting move anyway. Judgement is Special though and I can't think of good Special Normal type attackers outside of Porygon-Z and Meloetta... maybe as an option on a mixed set ?

Porygon-Z judgement with Adaptability is plain OP: after a Nasty Plot boost(or a baton passed Shell Smash), it 2HKOes the entire tier with a LO.

I could see Ninetales using choice in this meta, in order to run stuff like eruption or blue flare, as it is similar to Kyogre in this regard. Honestly, in this metagame, sun seems amazing.

Edit:
Also, has anyone considered serene grace sawsbuck? It can status with spore, and hit hard with headbutt, and probably do other things I haven't even considered.

Sap Sipper Saws on a Sun team works somewhat. It bluff Chlorophyl, so it can get a free attack boost on a Spore and dent things early on without having to sack half of its HP. Sawsbuck is a major threat, as noted, as really only steels beat it. With Chlorophyl, it is dang near unstoppable if it get Belly Drum off. With a Lum Berry it even beats Sableye since Sawsbuck lures it out instead of switching in on it. Ferrothorn is still a pain, but I'm not sure how prevalent in the meta he will be. Plus, Sun teams. I'm really lovin' him.

Cresselia with Cosmic Power+Stored Power is pretty great. With either Rest or Moonlight for Recovery, it can keep healthy and even take some critical hits and recover the damage. In the sun, it has Boosted Moonlight, but with Rest, it avoids the timer that is Toxic, but with Walls almost non-existent and being immune to TSpikes, Moonlight is pretty viable. HP[Fighting] can be used to hit Dark types, or Calm Mind can get more boosts while boosting SAtk.

Thundy-T seems like it would be deadly with STAB Thunder and Hurricane coupled with its 101 base Speed. Give it Agility/NP and watch it go.

Sableye seems like it would be pretty good. It can burn/Sleep almost anything. The only thing with Sleep immunity that would be good is Primape, but Sableye is immune to Fighting and can just burn it.

Sadly, I've only got to battle once, but it was fun.

Yes, all those pokemon are interesting, but everyone is forgetting that speed boost Yanmega gets access to both Tail Glow and Aeroblast (or hurricane if you're running rain, I guess). That makes Yanmega an insanely strong LGS due to it's ability to set up both speed and get +3 SPA at the same time, and makes it similar to how Blaziken was in ou (not as good, though, cause Blaziken had better coverage with it's stabs.)

Yes, all those pokemon are interesting, but everyone is forgetting that speed boost Yanmega gets access to both Tail Glow and Aeroblast (or hurricane if you're running rain, I guess). That makes Yanmega an insanely strong LGS due to it's ability to set up both speed and get +3 SPA at the same time, and makes it similar to how Blaziken was in ou (not as good, though, cause Blaziken had better coverage with it's stabs.)
This will be the center of my next team... This sounds so awesome lol

I have some questions about the rules. Am I allowed to include a normal type knowing sketch (as in, for an example a Chansey knowing sketch/transform/tri-attack/techno blast)? Do Techno Blast and Judgement count as a normal type move, or is it whatever type the held item makes it (i.e., can a Volcarona know Techno Blast if it is holding Burn Drive? What about a Chansey using Judgement while holding a Fist Plate?)?

I have some questions about the rules. Am I allowed to include a normal type knowing sketch (as in, for an example a Chansey knowing sketch/transform/tri-attack/techno blast)? Do Techno Blast and Judgement count as a normal type move, or is it whatever type the held item makes it (i.e., can a Volcarona know Techno Blast if it is holding Burn Drive? What about a Chansey using Judgement while holding a Fist Plate?)?
Sketch cannot be used by anything but Smeargle. Technoblast/Judgement are normal type moves since that is the base type.

I mentioned Tail Glow Speed Boost Yanmega on page 2, not everyone forgets about it ;).

Something to consider:

Regigigas@White Herb
Lovely Kiss/Recover/Substitute
Shell Smash
ExtremeSpeed
Earthquake/Stone Edge/Fire Punch

With Shell Smash now Regigigas can finally utilise it's stats. One Shell Smash negates it's ability and makes it ready to rumble. I dedicate one moveslot to win one or more turns. Regigigas still has insane defenses it can switch into a lot of stuff. With lovely kiss it wins atleast one extra turn to get Slow Start out of it's way. Recover on the other hand works great with it's 110/110/110 defenses so it can stall out 5 turns easily vs mons that dont carry some Fighting STAB. Substitute is also an option, yet less original I guess.

It loses out on coverage against Flying Ghosts tho, one could go for Stone Edge or Fire Punch, depending on what your teams fear the most.

With Regigigas' good speed and defenses, one might actually drop the ESpeed and go for another coverage move.

It is still weak to phazing and status tho, but so are a lot of other offensive pokes. That is why I prefer lovely kiss, as most people will switch in their phazer/statuser into Regigigas. You can lovely kiss on the switch, although if your opponent carries a phazer I would go for the Shell Smash first and then take advantage of the negative priority to put the phazer to sleep. You could go Shell Smash ASAP if the opponent doesnt have a prankster/outspeeding status inducer and then again lovely kiss after the switch.

I could see Ninetales using choice in this meta, in order to run stuff like eruption or blue flare, as it is similar to Kyogre in this regard. Honestly, in this metagame, sun seems amazing.

Edit:
Also, has anyone considered serene grace sawsbuck? It can status with spore, and hit hard with headbutt, and probably do other things I haven't even considered.
Serene Grace is quite gimmicky on Sawsbuck, and should never be used because Sap Sipper and Chlorophyll are just too good to pass up.

Sawsbuck might be too powerful for this metagame. It has so few checks and and Sableye is the only counter. Sap Sipper is a lot easier to handle due to it's lower speed, but both are still extremely powerful. I think that Sawsbuck is just too hard to counter, and requires adding team members dedicated just to stopping Sawsbuck. This thing could be (and maybe should be) banned from this meta sooner or later. Let's just continue play testing and see.

SpartanMalice

Didn't know Sawsbuck gets Serene Grace. Still the best secondary-effect move it could get is Seed Flare, which is Special. And from Normal, Crush Claw and Headbutt, but it's outclassed by other Sawsbuck running it's more common abilities, which are better to abuse.

Other Serene Grace users however, now have a lot of moves they can abuse in addition to what they already have. Rachi with Luster Purge, Togekiss and Shaymin-S now having Hurricane in addition to Air Slash and Thunder Wave/Seed Flare respectively, making them even more scarier than before.

Ursaring @ Flame Orb/Silk Scarf
Guts/QuickFeet/Unnerve
252HP/252atk
ExtremeSpeed
Bellydrum
Crunch
Close Combat

Whimsicott
-Spore
-Encore
-Thunder Wave
-Destiny Bond

SpartanMalice

Whimsicott
-Spore
-Encore
-Thunder Wave
-Destiny Bond
How would Whimsicott be able to learn these ? It's not in its normal movepool, and neither of them are grass moves.

I think Sawsbuck might be too powerful for this metagame. It has so few checks and and Sableye is the only counter. Sap Sipper is a lot easier to handle due to it's lower speed, but both are still extremely powerful. I think that Sawsbuck is just too hard to counter, and requires adding team members dedicated just to stopping Sawsbuck. I think this thing could be (and maybe should be) banned from this meta.
Fair point, it even beats the only pokemon with a 100% accuracy OHKO move with Horn Leech. However seeing as this meta will likely be hyper-offensive, I doubt it. I do agree that Chlorophyll buck may be kinda OP if weather is active though. Normally, pokemon like Stoutland and Venusaur can be just barely outpaced by base 108 scarfs. However, outspeeding 190 speed will be tricky, outside of a stronger Extremespeed, you'd need a scarfer with base 125 if sun can't be kept off the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)