Gen V STABmons

Status
Not open for further replies.

EV

Banned deucer.
I started a threatlist in the main thread.

Sawsbuck is the only one right now. I'll add to it later. Stuff like Speed Boost Tail Glow Yanmega, Guts Ursaring, Prankster Sableye.

Let's keep testing Sawsbuck. Harbinger of Peace may be right though.

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
Bear in mind though that if Sawsbuck runs Spore, a boosting move and two STAB moves, it will miss out on the coverage against Steel types, especially those that can hit back, like Heatran and Scizor.

The_Eevee_General I think a list of all moves by type, then bolding the ones that are more important would be more helpful now than creating a general threatlist. The threats are so expansive and the metagame so young we really wouldn't know what is coming yet.

I wonder if it might be worth dropping Spore for a coverage move on Sawsbuck and hoping they switch to their Spore absorber as you Belly Drum.

SpartanMalice

Also, if Sawsbuck is gonna be paired with a Steel Trapper, remember now both Magnezone and Magneton get Shift Gear, while the attack boost isn't very useful to both of them, the speed boost is. This means they can outspeed mons without Scarf, maybe they could get the boost in on a Steel type that can't hit back ? Like Skarmory. Or even Jirachi if it doesn't have fire punch and U-turn.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I feel as if this metagame is really going to revolve around rare, powerful boosting moves. Quiver Dance, Shell Smash, Dragon Dance, Shift Gear, and Belly Drum are what I'm looking at right now. Every single Bug, Normal, Steel, and Dragon-type are now going to be receiving a massively powerful setup move that turns them all into monsters in one or two turns, flat. Things like Garchomp and Kyurem-B get Dragon Dance now- seriously, imagine Dragon Dance Kyu-B. Bug-types all get Quiver Dance now- and as the OP stated, Yanmega is going to be a big threat. Steel-types get Shift Gear, which is awesome because it alleviates their offensive weaknesses in one shot- by doubling their usually low speed and increasing their usually moderate attack stat. Normal-types get the best of it all- Shell Smash and Belly Drum are two insanely good stat boosting moves, and with powerful STABs such as Return or Extremespeed, Normal-types that carry Fighting-type coverage will be able to obliterate most of the tier in a few seconds.

I really can't wait to test this out. Nice idea!

ElectivireRocks

Banned deucer.
I disagree with White Herb being the item of choice for Sawsbuck's Shell Smash set.
What do you need it for? If you're running into something that can take an ES and KO back you either Spore it or switch out and try to setup later. Horn Leech ensures that Sawsbuck will be around for a while.

Sawsbuck might be too powerful for this metagame. It has so few checks and and Sableye is the only counter. Sap Sipper is a lot easier to handle due to it's lower speed, but both are still extremely powerful. I think that Sawsbuck is just too hard to counter, and requires adding team members dedicated just to stopping Sawsbuck. This thing could be (and maybe should be) banned from this meta sooner or later. Let's just continue play testing and see.

What about Ferrothorn? With Gyro Ball, Sawsbuck can't 2HKO him and gets OHKO'd back after BD. Granted, keeping it safe against sun sweepers would be hard.

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
Note that Whimsicott gets access to Spore.

I'm also using Shift Gear Gear Grind Scizor. It works great. It doesn't matter whether you run Bug Bite or Attack Order for the secondary STAB, they both do the same.

Also: Kyurem Dancing Black

First there was Agiligross... NOW THERE IS SHIFTGROSS
Metagross @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash/Gear Grind
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Shift Gear
Atk 371-->556.5
Spe 239-->478

Cobalion might do the job better with drain punch, but I'm partial to Metagross.

^GearGross sounds more catchy.

Anyway, Shift Gear Ferrothorn. ShiftThorn? FerroGear? Shiferro? idk come up with something good.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Spore
- Bullet Punch
- Power Whip / Wood Hammer

I wanted to fit Meteor Mash or Gear Grind on this set, but priority, set-up, good STAB and the essential Spore make there no room. I guess Bullet Punch could be replaced with Gear Grind to break annoying Substitutes, I don't know. Basically, this has a simple mission: Spore or, if the opponent has a Sap Sipper/Magic Bouncer or their Pokemon has Substitute, Shift Gear. Shift Gear ~2 times then sweep with Power Whip/Wood Hammer, Bullet Punching things that can outspeed and OHKO. Seems good from a theorymonning POV.

Doom Desire doesn't really see any use on Jirachi due to its poor offensive typing and Jirachi's mediocre power, but on powerful special attackers like Magnezone and Heatran, in conjunction with their other STABs and careful timing, can provide a potent double attack that will likely KO all but the most bulky of mons.

EDIT: Also, not a terribly big threat, but Galvantula now gets Compoundeyes Zap Cannon for a 65% accurate, 120 BP STAB with a guaranteed paralysis. Along with Tail Glow / Quiver Dance.

EDIT2: Or how about Coil Toxicroak with DynamicPunch in the rain?

I disagree with White Herb being the item of choice for Sawsbuck's Shell Smash set.
What do you need it for? If you're running into something that can take an ES and KO back you either Spore it or switch out and try to setup later. Horn Leech ensures that Sawsbuck will be around for a while.
Shell Smash isn't what Sawsbuck usually runs. It's Spore + Belly Drum + Extremespeed combo is much deadlier. Shell Smash is obsolete because you're running Extremespeed for priority. However, I can see a possibility for Shell Smash paired with Sap Sipper, although Belly Drum with Chlorophyll is a lot deadlier in my opinion.

Anyway, Shift Gear Ferrothorn. ShiftThorn? FerroGear? Shiferro? idk come up with something good.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Spore
- Bullet Punch
- Power Whip / Wood Hammer
Shift gear is a waste on Ferrothorn's pathetically low speed. You'd be better off using the swords dance he already has with that bullet punch, or his already beastly gyroball.

Shift gear is a waste on Ferrothorn's pathetically low speed. You'd be better off using the swords dance he already has with that bullet punch, or his already beastly gyroball.
With 252 EVs, his Speed reaches 139. At +4 (2 Shift Gears), it reaches 556. Combine that with Bullet Punch, and Ferrothorn becomes a Speed demon. Well, not quite, but close.

And yeah, I typed the EVs wrong. Means to say 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd. Don't know why I did a bulky spread, but whatever.

And I realize it's usually outclassed by other sets, if not other Pokemon; however, it is always good for the surprise factor. Speedy Spores combined with an actual offensive presence (move over Whimsicott) is pretty nice.

Keldeo is definitely a big threat in this meta. STAB Water Spout in the rain WRECKS. Me and EeveeGeneral both did a play test, trying out random threats. We both decided not to use Sawsbuck, and I even made my team anti-Sawsbuck. I used a rain team to counter Chlorophyll Sawsbuck, and I decides I'd throw Keldeo on there to benefit from the rain. Result: It wrecked everything in sight. Here's a replay:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokecommunity-hackmons-39138

So, we have confirmed that Keldeo is indeed a huge threat, demolishing stuff with water spout in the rain. Scarf Keldeo can even outpace almost all unboosted pokemon, most scarfers, and several other threats, like a +2 Scizor or a Kyurem after a DD. Keldeo is very powerful, and is something to prepare for.

NOTE: Rain Teams are (obviously) a great counter to the soon-to-be dominant sun teams. Rain also has some big threats of it's own, like Keldeo, Hurricane Landorus, Thundrus-T, etc.

I'm pretty sure cobalion can take an extremespeed from sawsbuk.

Its not useless either shift gear makes it hit harder than terrakion with twice the speed after a single turn :)

Its also conveniently the fastest pokemon that can use shift gear, and its among the fastest pokemon that can use either shell smash or shift gear. Having a weakness to mach punch only (out of the priorities) also helps. Considering how offensive this meta will potentially get, it looks like it could legitimately be a sweeper.

EV

Banned deucer.
Its also conveniently the fastest pokemon that can use shift gear, and its among the fastest pokemon that can use either shell smash or shift gear. Having a weakness to mach punch only (out of the priorities) also helps. Considering how offensive this meta will potentially get, it looks like it could legitimately be a sweeper.
Cobalion looks nice, since it resists Sawsbuck's STABs and can set up with Shift Gear. Shell Smash would have to be passed to it, though, since it doesn't learn it.

-

Here's another battle between me and Harbinger.
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokecommunity-customgame-39171

The Espeon is actually Shell Smash/Stored Power/Judgment/Shadow Ball w/ Magic Bounce @ Fist Plate. We were seeing if the pre-evo STAB rule could be changed. Didn't get tested that battle, obvi.

Shell Smash+Stored Power Meloetta is actually doable, too.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
With all these boosters around, I had a weird idea for an anti-meta Pokemon.

Scarf FoulTar. I am dead serious.

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Dark Void
- Foul Play
- SuperPower
- Rock Slide / Switcheroo

It has fast fairly reliable sleep, can counter Sawsbuck by using its BD or SD Boost against it through Foul Play, or by using Superpower (survives ESpeed while SS cuts off its sunny weather), and it has Superpower for coverage. The last move can either turn it into a disruptive Pokemon or use flinchax with Rock Slide. EVs for HP/SpD vs. Atk can obviously be tweaked for whatever you need SuperPower to OHKO/2HKO and what you need Ttar ro be able to take with SS boosted SpD.

SpartanMalice

If an unboosted Ice Shard can do that much damage, I wonder if we'll even be seeing Icicle Crash on Kyurem... still, it's good to have both, like Mamoswine in OU.

About the pre-evo thing, I dunno... while it doesn't apply to all of them, some pre-evo STABs could be potentially OP. Like for instance, Choice Band/Belly Drum Extremespeed Azumarill ?

Shadow Taggers Wobbuffet & Gothitelle now get access to all Psychic-moves including Calm Mind, Cosmic Power, Stored Power & Rest. They can set up on a particular poke with Shadow Tag and Dark-Types' immunity can be overcome with Miracle Eye.

Shuckle gets reliable recovery with Heal Order now, making it a great user of Stealth Rock and disrupt Setup Sweepers with Encore. It can also utilise Toxic/Encore + Spider Web to annoy a lot of things.

Also: Scarfed/Banded Electivire with Vital Spririt can be a viable Spore absorber and then go ahead to cause mayhem with Bolt Strike (altho NFE vs Grass-types), on top of that it gets good coverage moves in Ice Punch, Earthquake, Cross Chop & Fire Punch as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)