Meloetta (BW2 Revamp)

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Meloetta needs an update so YEA

Just a skeleton for now, ill push this through QC and see who actually write the analysis cos nixhex has traumatised me for life.

Smokin

[Overview]

• Very Unpredictable
  • Nice movepool
  • Forme switch
  • Excellent bulk as well as aggressive Special Attack / Attack depending on your forme
  • One of the best offensive counters to Zam / Gengar
  • Struggles a bit with its low physical defence
  • Low Speed in Aria forme makes it hard to rip through offensive teams, while Pirouette needs to waste a moveslot to actually shift forme
  • SO CUTE OMG
  • PS! Mascot =]

[SET]
name: Calm Mind + 3 Attacks
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Psychic / Psyshock
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Shadow Ball
item: Leftovers / Life Orb
nature: Modest / Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Hits like a fucking truck when you get that Calm Mind boost off
  • Really nice coverage between Psychic / Focus Blast / Shadow Ball
  • Shadow Ball is for Lati@s and Celebi, which are super common
  • Focus Blast is "duh' for hitting steels as well as smoking Tyranitar.
  • Threatens balance (or "slower") teams quite well due to having fewer options at revenging it. Meloetta can be very difficult to wall due to its nice coverage

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• Thunder is nice with Rain support cos fuck yea 60% para chance. It hits the ghost types (ergo you would use if over Shadow Ball) however leaves you helpless against Celebi, Latios, and Latias.
  • Signal Beam is an excellent alternative for Shadow Ball, if you particularly despise Celebi, and quickly want to eliminate it before a potential Perish Song. You do miss out on Jellicent, as well as getting slightly less damage on Latios and Latias overall, and Shadow Ball's 40% chance of an SDef drop usually makes it a better option, but Signal Beam is still always there for the alternative.
  • Hyper Voice I guess as a nice STAB move option over Psychic. You get nice neutral coverage but miss out on the super-effective coverage that Psychic gets (ie hitting Keldeo is pretty neat).
  • Excels against slower teams so paralysis support would be very helpful. Including speedy mons such as Keldeo, Terrakion or Landorus-I can give you more punch against some of the offensive teams.
  • SR + Spikes support is always nice

[SET]
name: Specially Defensive
move 1: Perish Song
move 2: Psyshock
move 3: Thunder Wave
move 4: U-turn / Focus Blast
item: Leftovers
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

• its a bulky mofo
  • Good special wall
  • Perish Song lets it cockblock Reuniclus, and Jirachi, as well as other special sweepers
  • Your draw over Chansey, Celebi and Jirachi is a) Perish Song and b) hitting very hard with no investment. 128 base SpA just hurts
  • U-Turn is nice for avoiding Goth / Wobb / Dug after you Perish Song, which might try and trap you. it also gets the better matchup after you Perish Song, and you can try and dodge Tyranitar. If Tyranitar really is a concern tho, Focus Blast should deter it from casually switching in.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• Heal Bell, Light Screen, or heck, maybe Teeter Dance if you want to get crazy could be used, but Meloetta is pretty strapped for moveslots as it is, so both of them are lesser options.
  • Toxic is an ok choice over Thunder Wave if you really want to cripple a wall of something switching in
  • Its a win condition, pure and simple. You would use this set on defensive teams and use mons such as Skarmory / Landorus-T or something to take the physical hits Meloetta cannot. Wish support is also really useful to Meloetta, as it lacks recovery of its own, so a Jirachi could work ok.

[SET]
name: Relic Mixed
move 1: Relic Song
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: Shadow Ball / Thunder
move 4: Psychic / Hidden Power Ice
item: Life Orb / Expert Belt
nature: Naive
evs: 56 Atk / 252 SpA / 200 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

• Relic Song gives you a 20% chance at sleeping something but crucially allows you to switch into Pirouette forme, giving you excellent attack power, as well as speed, while losing your massive special bulk, and high special attack stat.
  • Close Combat is your main spamming move when in Pirouette forme, as it gains STAB while threatening Tyranitar when in Aria forme
  • Shadow Ball hits ghosts such as Gengar and Jellicent, which is crucial since ghost types can "forme block" Meloetta by being immune to Relic Song thus preventing it from switching
  • Last slot really depends what you want. Psychic offers you a STAB non switching move in Aria Forme to hit the many fighting types in the tier, while HP Ice nails Landorus-I, Landorus-T, as well as dragon types such as Garchomp and Dragonite
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• Thunder again, is an option over Shadow Ball, but it misses out on hitting Celebi (which would wall you otherwise). It is useful for paralysing the opponents team I guess, but you need rain support to really spam it. It does hit Skarmory tho, which could prove to be troublesome otherwise.
  • U-Turn is an excellent option. Due to Meloetta's high speed in Pirouette forme, you can Relic Song a switch, forme change, hopefully get a sleep out of it, and then U-Turn the switch, giving you a momentum advantage. It also hits Latias, Latios and Celebi very hard, the only downside is that it costs a moveslot (ie no Psychic / HP Ice) and thus places more emphasis on getting into Pirouette forme as quickly as possible.
  • Set plays differently than you might expect. Usually you abuse your Aria forme as much as possible, using Psychic and Shadow Ball to great effect, (potentially bluffing a CM set) weakening the opponents team. Late game, you Relic Song, giving you a large speed boost, and its then that you spam Close Combat, attempting to clean up and go for game.
  • Partners obviously include pokemon that set up Stealth Rock / Spikes which aid it in sweeping
  • Paralysis support is always welcome to cripple any scarfers that might try and shut you down when you are in Pirouette forme.
  • Physically defensive pokemon are rather nice since Aria Forme is rather vulnerable to physical attacks. Landorus-T is a good example of a mon that assists Meloetta in this regard, setting up Stealth Rock, and being a good check to most forms of Terrakion, until Meloetta can find the time to Relic Song and defeat all non scarf ones.
  • Meloetta sorta lacks perfect wallbreaking potential, since it needs to switch formes to hit hard from its other attacking stat. Powerful Mixed sweepers such as MixMence break down walls (and steel types which Meloetta dislikes) aiding you in your attempt at a late game sweep.
  • Despite you having access to Shadow Ball, Ghost mons will always be a bitch. CB Tyranitar is an ok option (despite the sand it brings) since it can trap and kill Latias, Latios, Celebi, Slowbro, and Jellicent which all deter you form spamming CC with Pirouette forme

[SET]
name: All Out Attacker
move 1: Psychic / Psyshock
move 2: Focus Blast
move 3: Signal Beam
move 4: Thunder / Hyper Voice
item: Life Orb
nature: Modest

[SET COMMENTS]

• Meloetta can forgo Calm Mind and run an all out attacking set, designed to get maximum coverage, while packing as much power as possible
  • Psychic and Psyshock decide whether you want to beat Blissey or not. Psyshock also comes with the downside of being weaker against more physically bulky pokemon.
  • Signal Beam is recommended to OHKO SDef Celebi after SR, which Shadow Ball cannot do. It also hits Latios, Latias and Starmie pretty hard
  • The choice between Thunder and Hyper Voice will often depend on if you picked Psychic or Psychock. If you went with Psychic, Thunder is heavily recommended to nail Jellicent and other ghost pokemon, as well as spreading that 60% paralysis chance. Thunder does require rain support form Politoed otherwise you are stuck with the weaker Thunderbolt, which also lacks the large paralysis chance that Thunder has. If you went with Psyshock, Hyper Voice is recommended to take out those physically bulky ground types, that Focus Blast doesn't handle. Gliscor and Hippowdon are the important ones, that otherwise threaten to be a pain, while Psyshock handles Specially Defensive Jellicent. The downside is that physically defensive Jellicent will win, and Sub Disable Gengar will also be a hassle if you run with Hyper Voice.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• Paralysis support again is welcome on Meloetta, so it can use its impressive coverage and attack power to great effect.
  • Meloetta will always be walled by something, depending on its move selections, so teammates for handling Jellicent, Gengar, Blissey Chansey, Hippowdon, and Gliscor are all welcome, as depending on what it uses, it will struggle against some of these. Politoed is the recommended support if you choose to go for Thunder, while Tyranitar is useful for trapping Jellicent and Gengar with Pursuit. powerful fighting types will defeat Blissey and Chansey, and Breloom gets a special mention for hitting Hippowdon and Jellicent with its Bullet Seed attack , as well as threatening Blissey and Chansey.
  • U-Turn (maybe over Signal Beam) and Hidden Power Ice (for ground types): U-Turn + HP Ice + SR has like a 50% shot at a OHKO - Not BAD
  • Hazard support is again, always welcome.

[Other Options]

• Sub CM
  • Choice Specs
  • Hone Claws / Work Up
  • Relic Song + 3 physical attacks

[Checks and Counters]

Not much directly counters Meloetta, but CM Latias and Sub Calm Mind Jirachi can try and give it a go. Specially Defensive Jirachi can ParaFlinch CM, while either Chansey / Blissey or certain physical walls can try and beat Calm Mind depending on whether Meloetta runs Psyshock or Psychic. Priority from Scizor can pick off Meloetta from low health, and in general fast, physical scarfers such as Salamence, and Terrakion threaten Meloetta due to its rather lacking physical defence. Ghost types can threaten to shut down Relic Song Mixed, as they block Relic Song and also discourage it from spamming CC.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Signal Beam is better than Shadow Ball in the CM + 3 Attacks set for modern reasons (honestly I don't see the point of Shadow Ball now because it was a DPP relic used to hit Rotom-A in DPP).

Also, Meloetta can still hit quite hard without the Calm Mind boosts, and given the massive amount of strong physical attackers ATM, there's better options than Calm Mind in that close. I'd just make that set something like "Three Attacks" or "Offensive" and list other options besides Calm Mind. Like say...Thunder Wave or Hidden Power?

But anyhow, point is, plenty of good options besides CM on an offensive set (both main slash and AC), and it should look like this if we're compromising on a CM slash:

[SET]
name: Calm Mind + 3 Attacks
move 1: Psychic / Psyshock
move 2: Focus Blast
move 3: Signal Beam
move 4: Hidden Power Fire / Thunder / Calm Mind
item: Leftovers / Life Orb
nature: Modest / Timid

List Perish Song, Thunder Wave, and U-Turn in the AC if applicable.

EDIT: Eh ginga you know what just mention Signal Beam since we already talked about it on IRC.

ginganinja

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
O.k couple of things (since im not moving this to copyeditting until AG and I have fully discussed this.

I will say, stright up, that if there is enough support from QC to add a 4 attacker, then I will add it, no worries, however I don't agree with merging it with CM, because quite personally, I prize Calm Mind too highly.

The reason why im keen with Calm Mind is that a) it boosts your SDef, making it harder for Scarf Keldeo to go for a revenge (or something like RP Landorus to EP or something, and b) it actually allows you to break through defensive teams. For instance, 4 attacker (IMO) still doesn't quite have the punch to break through those defensive teams and thats frustrating when you this mon is actually better vs defensive teams than offensive ones. I fully agree with you when you say that often Meloetta doesn't need to CM or doesn't have the time, and this is usually against offensive teams, that you are worse against. Dropping CM just seems to give you an extra coverage attack, so you can do slightly better against offensive teams (but still be mediocre) and do worse against defensive teams. Anyway, thats just why I didn't list Special Attacker, but I still am open to adding it if it has enough support (I don't claim to be the only / best Meloetta user by any stretch of the imagination).

HP Fire: This calc is potentially the reason I didn't list HP Fire: +1 252+ SpA Meloetta Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Scizor: 254-299 (74.05 - 87.17%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock. Sure, its not a OHKO, but Scizor can only switch into Meleotta once and once only. Besides, when it gets in, its Bullet Punching anyway so I don't like HP Fire as much.

Signal Beam: I'll mention it no worries (it 100% slipped my mind). I prefer Shadow Ball for the 40% SDef drop as well as higher damage against Lati@s and Jellicent at the cost of more damage to Celebi but thats up for debate. I will put it in AC for now, but can move it up to 2nd slash if you want.

I'm busy for the next week so I won't be doing 2 many updates (will still respond to any and all queries) and im not keen to actually write it up but will if there is no-one else.

I also want to see what happens with the current fan favs tourney as R2 is currently Meleotta. Would value any and all opinions from players in this tourney that used Meloetta I guess, to get perceptions and personal opinions.

TY in advance.

(Consider this still in QC mode till at least one week has passed)

tehy

Banned deucer.
So I hate to be 'this guy' but... SpD hippo takes Meloetta quite nicely, no?

Signal Beam can also Confuse, doubled chance makes it respectable

Edit: Also Sableye, no? Foul Play should do... respectable damage, I assume, and while I'm unsure about Standard Sable, SpD can probably wall the Cm version. Even if it can't, it's a good stop to the last two.

Doble Edit: Well, at least to the second two then. TBH I have rarely faced CM forms as most people who use meloetta use it for Relic Song, but the CM form is p.good in its own right

ginganinja

Calculations assuming Modest with Leftovers as the item.

+1 252+ SpA Meloetta Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Hippowdon: 234-276 (55.71 - 65.71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ SpA Meloetta Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Hippowdon: 207-244 (49.28 - 58.09%) -- 98.83% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Hippowdon does "ok" I guess, but losing to Psychic versions really suck, and even psyshock does between 40 - 47% is quite a lot for Hippowdon to take. You can even Shadow Ball if it tried to go for a Slack Off stall or something and aim for the 40% SDef drop. I wouldn't call it a really "solid" check.

Standard Sableye runs 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD Calm. Here is what it takes:

+1 252+ SpA Meloetta Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Sableye: 153-180 (50.32 - 59.21%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Thats a 2KO and on top of that, Sableye cannot Recover stall you, when you have a 40% chance at a Special Defenice drop. its basically gotta spam Recover and is then left in the coinflip scenario of either Recovering or Taunting (to prevent a CM). Its just so dicey im reluctant to admit it :/

Foul Play does 2KO but again, no priority Foul Play means Meloetta outspeeds and again puts the pressure on. Idk I think its a tricky one for Sableye.

EDIT

That reminds me, I should almost mention that Meloetta is immune to Shadow Ball. The amount of dumbass players that use Shadow Ball on Meloetta is redic (one guy went to all the trouble of proceeding to bring his Gengar INTO Meloetta AFTER he had Night Shaded it).

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
  • +1 252+ SpA Meloetta Signal Beam vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Celebi: 388-460 (96.03 - 113.86%) -- 81.25% chance to OHKO
  • +1 252+ SpA Meloetta Signal Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 246-290 (81.45 - 96.02%) -- 56.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock, while Shadow ball does 86.75 - 102.64% and thus has a 93.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • +1 252+ SpA Meloetta Signal Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Starmie: 306-360 (94.44 - 111.11%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • +1 252+ SpA Meloetta Psychic vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Jellicent: 229-271 (56.82 - 67.24%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • +1 252+ SpA Meloetta Psychic vs. 252 HP / 220+ SpD Jellicent: 171-202 (42.32 - 50%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
So after a boost the only Pokemon that Shadow Ball is relevant against is specially defensive Jellicent, which can still get 2HKOed at +2 while it can't do much back. On the other hand, Signal Beam lets Meloetta get past one of its best counters, Celebi, which is everywhere, and this is why Signal Beam should be slashed first. So slash Signal Beam before Shadow Ball!

Also, Thunder is better used over Focus Blast and with Dugtrio support to eliminate Tyranitar. The only Pokemon that walls Meloetta with Psychic + Thunder + Signal Beam except for the blobs is Ferrothorn, meaning that it gets quite good coverage, that sweet 60% chance to paralyze, and has perfect accuracy unlike Focus Miss.

ginganinja

Shadow Ball does more to Latias which you didn't calc (idk why, its one of the more common counters)

On the other hand, Signal Beam lets Meloetta get past one of its best counters, Celebi, which is everywhere
You know Shadow Ball also beats Celebi right? You won't OHKO, but you don't need to, when you CM on the switch, and beat it with Shadow Ball for an easy 2KO and you outspeed (iirc). Call me crazy, but I would much rather beat Jellicent (which can and will Toxic, ending your sweep), retain more power against any other Psychics, AND have that 40% drop vs mons that are neutral to Psychic such as Jirachi. For instance, I can shadow Ball a (SDEF) Jirachi switchin, and if I get the drop, I can have a good chance to try and KO with Focus Blast. Signal Beam doesn't have a hope. Shadow Ball is also a much better option if you go for Psyshock, since with Shadow Ball you can do more against those physical walls like Gliscor that can take a +1 Psyshock (and FB) but not a +1 Shadow Ball. Lastly, Shadow Ball gives you an out to that lame ass Sub Disable Gengar, which otherwise can attempt to Disable Psychic and stall you out / switch to something that walls your coverage moves). Oh yeah, and you risk losing to Sableye if you use Signal Beam, (Leftovers + Recover heals everything and often gains health) whereas with Shadow Ball you have that 40% SDef drop to give you the win. I can slash Signal Beam, but I am nowhere near convinced its worth first slash (in all my time testing Meloetta I never once encountered a situation where I wanted Signal beam more).

Can you just trust my judgement on this one please?

Also, Thunder is better used over Focus Blast and with Dugtrio support to eliminate Tyranitar. The only Pokemon that walls Meloetta with Psychic + Thunder + Signal Beam except for the blobs is Ferrothorn, meaning that it gets quite good coverage, that sweet 60% chance to paralyze, and has perfect accuracy unlike Focus Miss.
Perfect Accuracy if you are using rain*. Thats the big one, and with Toed, Dugtrio, and Meloetta already set in stone, you have 3 slots left, and a Ferrothorn that walls all of them.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Can you just trust my judgement on this one please?
Gladly ginga, i never said i won't, i just gave my input. If you believe that Shadow Ball is the best option then i trust you as you obvious have more experience with it than i do.

As for Thunder, of 'course it is only usable in rain, we already established this. I just mentioned that it is better to use Thunder over FB than Shadow Ball / Signal Beam, as without those Celebi hard walls you, and Celebi is a bigger pain than Ferrothorn for rain teams as it walls Keldeo and has reliable recovery. So if you want mention that when using Thunder (meaning that you are using Melo on a rain team) it is a good idea to use Dugtrio and put Thunder over Focus Blast, as long as you have teammates to take care of Ferrothorn.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Eh, if I were to use Thunder(bolt), it would be over Shadow Ball, not Focus Blast, and I would also run Psyshock with it. CM-boosted Psyshock should deal with opposing Psychic-types well.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to see 4 attacks included in some way. Psychic/Focus Blast/Signal Beam/Thunder covers nearly everything (SpD hippo and gastrodon stand out, but I don't think there's room for Grass Knot, and an SpD drop should be sufficient against hippo). Thunder is absolutely great with 60% para, and is half the point of the set. It offers little meaningful coverage, which is why I don't think it really belongs with CM, but it is the most spammable move meloetta has - I probably use it more than psychic.

Also, you probably think this sounds riciculous, but meloetta gets horribly walled by gliscor if you use Psyshock, and Shadow ball actually hits it a fair bit harder than everything else. That's the only occasion on which I might use it.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
Actually, add the 20% chance of Psychic to lower SpD (with Serence Grace taken into account) and even SpD Hippo is in big trouble if it tries to stall Meloetta out with sand and LO damage. Just for reference here is how much Modest LO Psychic does to SpD Careful Hippo:

252+ SpA Life Orb Meloetta Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 185-218 (44.04 - 51.9%) -- 15.63% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

and vs SpD Impish Hippo:

252+ SpA Life Orb Meloetta Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Hippowdon: 203-239 (48.33 - 56.9%) -- 92.58% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

So all in all, 4 attacks Meloetta seems as a great wallbreaker and Thunder is an excellent move to spam in rain, so it doesn't hurt to mention an all out attacking set with LO in the CM's AC right?

As for which move Thunder replaces on the CM set, it honestly depends on the teammates. As jc said, Psyshock + FB + Thunder is walled by Gliscor and Celebi, Psychic + FB + Thunder is walled by Chansey, Blissey, and Celebi, Psyshock + Shadow Ball + Thunder is walled by Tyranitar, Hippowdon and Ferrothorn, and Psychic + Shadow Ball + Thunder is walled by Tyranitar, Ferrothorn, Chansey, and Blissey. With Dugtrio support, Tyranitar, Chansey, and Blissey are taken care of, leaving only Ferrothorn as a counter for the Psychic + Shadow Ball + Thunder set, so if ginga wants it can mention this in the AC.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
200 Speed was originally used to outspeed Tornadus-T as Meloetta-P, but it's still applicable now to outspeed max Speed Adamant Landorus-T.

ginganinja

O.k bumping this.

As some of you might know, I am one of those few users that pretty much abuses Meloetta in OU, but due to time constrants and a bunch of other things, I am unable to actually write this up.

Can someone actually take this over as that would be swell. One condition however, and that is they should prolly be in contact with me or I guess shrang (either by smogon PM or IRC) since both of us have the knowledge and stuff in order to write this up, we just lack the time. I personally can give the writer insight and all that if its required but yea, we just need someone to write it up :/

Also I need to chat with u QC peeps at some stage since the order on meloetta is so fucking hard gdi and this analysis has changed a fair amount since we last talked.

I'm interested in taking this up. I was a big fan of purely physical Meloetta-P back in the PO days, but there's one thing I wanted to touch on before I tackle this: Mixed Relic's Speed EVs. Icecream brought up the wasted EVs (192 in Pirouette outspeeds 120s and still outspeed Adamant 252 Landorus-T), so is that change going to happen?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)