Blue Frog's Thread Spam

Hey there man. It's a real shame this thread isn't getting more posts, you've definitely got talent. I think the thing I admire most about your art is how you really bring out some lovely textures with those thick brush strokes and I really love how you brought out that Chatot, the branch is fantastic, you've captured the surface so beautifully in the small details like contrasting grains in the wood on the highlighted part near chatot's foot and the more sudden shading. Great stuff.

On a slightly more critical side as I think it's important that every post in smeargle's studio has something to help its artists, I think your perspectives could use a little work. This is more obvious in your older pieces but based on the Chatot piece, I would say that the head looks quite a lot like it would fit a silouette position judging by the way the little quaver tail on top is placed and how the head is shaded. This obviously doesn't fit with the way Chatot is actually facing so if I could make some constructive criticism, I would say just tidying up the perspectives would certainly help your art. Also, I'd like to challenge you be a little bolder with your shading, I really like the hazy feel you've given your pieces, but some bolder shading I think could help with perspectives and it would definitely be worth trying out for you. Something else you perhaps could be bolder with is poses and play around with large perspective contrasts. Exaggerating your vanishing point could make for some very interesting pieces.

With that said, I'd like to request a Heracross. Not only will this make a good opportunity to play around with the techniques I mentioned but it's also an awesome Pokemon, haha.

Keep up the good work :) Luvdisc'd

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
With that said, I'd like to request a Heracross. Not only will this make a good opportunity to play around with the techniques I mentioned but it's also an awesome Pokemon, haha.
Thanks so much for your feedback! I tried to follow your tips as much as possible for this:

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
forgot to post this fakedex update from a while ago

Name: Intellite™
Type: Electric/Steel
Base Stats: 50/50/35/120/35/150
Abilities: Download/Lightningrod

I put the ™ at the end of its name to make it like the Porygon family, so it is intentional. The next part of the region is a laboratory, which may or may not be the secret hideout of the evil crime syndicate, put in plain sight. It's manmade, and I guess the inventors just let them roam the lab or something cause there are wild Pokemon inside.

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
hey, i think i'm improving.

lol, nvm.

I couldn't really get it to look the way I wanted (it was supposed to have lineart.......) so I ended up going crazy with the style and got this.

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Five posts in a row doesn't even seem like that much anymore.

Name: Prototyke
Type: Steel
Base Stats: 40/60/60/60/60/40
Abilities: Analytic/Download/Light Metal
Evolves when traded with an Upgrade or Scrap Metal (<-new item)[/B]

Name: Metavant
Type: Steel
Base Stats: 45/140/120/140/45/45
Abilities: Analytic/Download/Light Metal

Name: Numatech
Type: Steel/Ghost
Base Stats: 45/45/140/120/140/45
Abilities: Cursed Body/Levitate/Shadow Tag

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
I drew this on a trackpad, so don't expect it to be good.

Before I found out that tablets were a thing, I thought everyone drew their digital art on the computer with a mouse. Thus, I was incredibly amazed and wondered how on earth it was possible. Then I realized that people used tablets, and was only slightly less impressed.

It's sad to admit, but I think my trackpad lineart is better than my tablet lineart.

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Well, using inductive reasoning, someone's bound to reply after my 8th post in a row.

or not.

Anyway, here's a Flaaffy:

and here it is without the background

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Well, using inductive reasoning, someone's bound to reply after my 8th post in a row.

or not.

Here's my entry for the MAC. It's a Normal Type Hydreigon. It doesn't look like a Hydreigon at first, but isn't that what retypes are for?

No?

Hey blue frog! I really like your flaafy as it is very detailed and I like the sun and sky. I think your line art is really improving and your shading is becoming more fluid.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Anyway, here's a Flaaffy:

Your method of using a large number of brush strokes to paint works well in this case, although you did make an effort to make it less blurry by using either light or dark strokes at the very edge of the Flaaffy's body parts. However, pretty much the whole image have rather stale colors, and I'd like to make a friendly reminder that the official art often have bleak colors so I'd advise against directly copying them and instead go for more intense versions of the same color (although I'm only assuming you did). I while you're getting better with lighting, placing the sun behind it also means that you need to make Flaaffy's front much darker, and it certainly won't cast a shadow on the grass behind it (and instead in front of it). And at that height, the sun gives the impression of setting, so more warmer colors like orange can be used to spread the sunset's warm rays.

Here's my entry for the MAC. It's a Normal Type Hydreigon. It doesn't look like a Hydreigon at first, but isn't that what retypes are for?
Sweet. And in two ways, no less! While I can see the inspiration taken from Sylveon, it makes for a strong contrast to Hydreigon's actual appearance and the puppets actually work well with its cuddly exterior.

Your lineart can use variety in thickness, since all of the strokes appears to be equally wide. Enabling pen pressure with your tablet should remedy this, and should work with any software you use for your art, since being able to affect the width on the strokes makes it seem more handdrawn and genuine. The shadows could be darker as well, since they're only gently visible here when a bright day such like that would make them much more visible.

Good to see that you're improving, however. Keep it up!

Hey dude :P (you know me)
From what it looks like and what you've said, your drawing style is somewhat unstructured and mostly colored in scans. While in this case that is certainly not a bad thing, as some of your later work (particularly that Heracross) is quite good, it may be beneficial to you to learn how to be more... Organized? ...with your digital art, i.e. take a course, read articles, etc. The one tool I recommend you learn how to use is the mixer brush in Photoshop. Your work already has a nice, soft, feel to it, and the use of the mixer brush, which, well, mixes colors, may strengthen that even more. However, don't let this comment ruin your work. Sometimes, the style of separate strokes is good enough by itself.

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Bummer! You are so cool. Thanks so much for the feedback. And hello, 33435 :P

Thanks for both of your feedbacks. I do struggle with bringing out shading, and with lighting (I don't know whats going on with the sun in the Flaaffy picture), so I will work on it.

Anyway, here's a doodle that shouldn't have taken me as long as it did, mostly because of lineart:

I tried cel shading. I should probably crop it or something, but I think the empty space contributes to the blank feel of the picture.

and the posting streak begins
Allow me to break it.
Anyways you are improving with your art but I would avoid using pure white/grey for highlighting and black for shading as they give you a more "harsher" look. What I do is "tint" the color of the base color you are using (i.e. light blue for a blue) for highlights and "shade" the color of the base you are using (like a darker blue for example).
For your Wobbuffet picture, it's a really cute subject but its tail doesn't reach that far (I don't think) for them to hug each other.

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Here are two more badly drawn poison/steel type fakemons. The second gym is poison, which I had thought was amazingly unique until Roxie came along.

Name: Chemican
Type: Poison/Steel
Base Stats: 58/17/92/73/140/8

Name: Canistaint
Type: Poison/Steel
Base Stats: 78/37/132/103/160/18

Abilities for both: Heatproof/Levitate/Stench

Chemican wins for weirdest speed stat ever.

oh, and speaking of fake pokemon, here's my WIP for CAP5's prevo:

bluehoundoom, I used your shading tips for this.

Andrew

beep boop
is a Top Artist Alumnus
the perspective is really cool on sigilyph. you have a really good way of making your art semi-realistic/3d, also as in the heracross you did a while back. keep it up! :)

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus

What is this thing? It's called the "Pseudo Grass" pokemon, but it doesn't even look like grass. Even some of my designs are better than this. Whatever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)