Pokémon Theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can this thread include Pokeology/the reasoning behind why certain species look the way they do? I'd love to talk about how a Pokemon's physique and type helps define the way it lives.
Yes please. Or at least its own thread. I need to figure out how the heck Hitmonlee survives without a mouth

The plate-looking thing on kangaskhan's face might not be a part of the skull. You take that away and the head is now the same shape.

Case Closed

Yay! I'll start off with Hitmonlee, because it's the most relevant. Hitmonlee is a lot of fun for being just under five feet, so it's already an ideal height to launch a good kick. Since the muscles in its legs are giant springs, it can double the length of its leg while attacking, and since it's legs make up 2/3 of its height excluding its feet, its legs can theoretically stretch to about 80 inches long. Its feet are especially hefty-looking, as it looks like each foot has three heels, or harder areas as the yellow spots to allow a powerful kick to come flying in from several directions without Hitmonlee suffering from too much recoil so he can deliver kicks with little break time. Because of the way his lower extremeties appear towork, Hitmonlee is very well adapted for its fighting style.
The lack of a mouth could be explained as Hitmonlee's ability to eternally fast and rely on its chi for strength, or something to that extent, though one of my favorite reasons is a comment from wikianswers
I never knew it yelled. If it does, it probably speaks from it's butt hole

Really though, Hitmonlee probably has no mouth as part of its artistic licensing, since Hitmonlee's look is based on a very particular body part. If you took the underside of your big toe, drew some eyes on it and glued some long springs to the sides and at the top of your foot's ball, you'd have a little Hitmonlee!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay, didn't see that one here yet so might as well post it:

Wynayt's and Wobbuffet's main body is the tail.
The blue part is a fake body like a punching bag. Hence the bulk and the movepool (Counter, Mirror coat)

:D
Now I can't stop picturing Wobbufett as one of those wacky-waving-inflatable-arm-flailing-tubemen you see outside stores with huge sales (thanks Family Guy for the name!)

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I can imagine Hitmonlee's skin being sort of a membrane, and might actually let air or fluids pass through it in certain places. Which means Hitmonlee would be eating by smearing food across its chest/stomach, and suck up the nutrients like a sponge.

This one sounds kinda stupid, but whatever:

All those who played RSE remember that Flannery emphasized that she was a new gym leader (and acted like it too). Team magma had apparently JUST started caused trouble throughout the area of Hoenn with Maxie as their leader.

Is it possible that Maxie was Lavaridge Town's previous Gym leader? He puts major emphasis on Mt. Chimney during his exploits, as well as having his team's base close to lavaridge Town. His most powerful pokemon is the Fire-type camerupt. He could have been "relieved of duty" after becoming involved in team Magma.

ok this is like THE dumbest theory ever but idc i'm posting it anyway

my friends and i were talking about what would happen if pokemon were in fact real, and we were discussing how unova is based off america. my friend joked that if pokemon was real zekrom and reshiram would represent liberalism and conservatism and that they'd be the mascots for the political parties here in america.

and then that got me thinking.

"truth" can be a reference to conservative thinking; keeping america's policies where they are as a FORM of truth (quote-unquote), and "ideals" could represent progressive liberal policies, or what liberals WANT america to be

i know this is probably a hairbrained theory, but considering unova IS based partly on the usa, it kinda makes sense to me idk

Maxie being Flannerys old man would be nice especially considering their hair, but if I recall wasn't it Team Aqua that really emphasized the Mt. Chimney scheme? Team Magma set up their base there but I only recall fighting Archie on the Mt since they wanted to stop the volcano. As far as pokemon being representative of policy, I think it's a fine idea. Only Ns plot was very radical in both games and therefore doesn't fit with the concept of being conservative, this could imply that black was the canon game, or it could also mean that they weren't meant to be taken that way

Maxie being Flannerys old man would be nice especially considering their hair, but if I recall wasn't it Team Aqua that really emphasized the Mt. Chimney scheme? Team Magma set up their base there but I only recall fighting Archie on the Mt since they wanted to stop the volcano. As far as pokemon being representative of policy, I think it's a fine idea. Only Ns plot was very radical in both games and therefore doesn't fit with the concept of being conservative, this could imply that black was the canon game, or it could also mean that they weren't meant to be taken that way
It depends on which game you played. If you played ruby, then the game porteays team magma as the villians and if you played saphire, it portrays team aqua as the villians. But if you played emerald, team magma tried to send a meteors energy into the volcano, built a base there, and it was there that they awakened groudon.

I have a theory that Reshiram and Blaziken are really guys...

Look at their giant, fluffy thing sticking out of their, erm, groins. And they both are or resemble a chicken.

I always considered the Nurse Joys...

Are they identical sisters? Or clones? I can't think of them as being clones, as that means there must be some sort of mother...

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

my friends and i were talking about what would happen if pokemon were in fact real, and we were discussing how unova is based off america. my friend joked that if pokemon was real zekrom and reshiram would represent liberalism and conservatism and that they'd be the mascots for the political parties here in america.

"truth" can be a reference to conservative thinking; keeping america's policies where they are as a FORM of truth (quote-unquote), and "ideals" could represent progressive liberal policies, or what liberals WANT america to be

i know this is probably a hairbrained theory, but considering unova IS based partly on the usa, it kinda makes sense to me idk
That is actually...a really interesting observation! A shame nobody else commented on it. I think that's a good one.

You ever wonder how regular animals could compete with pokemon for ecological niches? Or how come humans could survive in a world with superpower beings like pokemon?

The first one is easy to answer: there are no regular animals in the pokemon world

Yes I know we seen normal animals in the anime, but just like fruits and normal food has been retconed to poffins and berries, normal animals have been stricken from canon (see Lt Surge "the lightning amarican" it's now suddenly from Unova)

But more importantly, there's a pokemon whose existence makes it extremely unlikely that anything but other pokemon could have evolved:
Anorith
you see Anorith is an Anomalocaris, an animal so old that it's older than bones; internal skeletons woudn't develop for millions of years after Anomalocaris roamed the oceans much less fish, so yeah, in the pokemon world everything not a pokemon would have gone extinct way before the dinosaurs (which are also pokemon!) since they don't have supernatural abilities like pokemon have since that long ago

As for the second answer: humans can survive because of 2 reasons:

1-Humans themselves are pokemon
more specifficaly they are psychic type pokemon, consider how many humans we seen that have psychic powers, from gen I to gen V, plus the only pokemon we know that preys on humans (Chandelure if you don't know) is a ghost type which is super effective against psychics; the reason that most humans don't seems to use psychic moves it's because afters tens of thousands of years of using pokemon people have no need to use their powers anymore
There's also the alternate explanation that while humans are psychic types they don't learn psychic moves by level up so all their psychic moves (and probably aura abilities too) are egg moves

2-humans have an ability that make other pokemon obey them
Let's call this ability Tamer and it works like this:

Tamer: the wielder can order other pokemon around, fails if the target is a higher level that the user

this would explain why pokemon obey humans even if they abuse them and why higher level pokemon disobey their trainer even if they treat them kindly

Now, if you notice about

Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres

then you are gonna be suprised when you see this

Moltres, Zapdos, Articuno

You will see the word "Mozart".

Pretty cool huh?

You ever wonder how regular animals could compete with pokemon for ecological niches? Or how come humans could survive in a world with superpower beings like pokemon?

The first one is easy to answer: there are no regular animals in the pokemon world

Yes I know we seen normal animals in the anime, but just like fruits and normal food has been retconed to poffins and berries, normal animals have been stricken from canon (see Lt Surge "the lightning amarican" it's now suddenly from Unova)

But more importantly, there's a pokemon whose existence makes it extremely unlikely that anything but other pokemon could have evolved:
Anorith
you see Anorith is an Anomalocaris, an animal so old that it's older than bones; internal skeletons woudn't develop for millions of years after Anomalocaris roamed the oceans much less fish, so yeah, in the pokemon world everything not a pokemon would have gone extinct way before the dinosaurs (which are also pokemon!) since they don't have supernatural abilities like pokemon have since that long ago

As for the second answer: humans can survive because of 2 reasons:

more specifficaly they are psychic type pokemon, consider how many humans we seen that have psychic powers, from gen I to gen V, plus the only pokemon we know that preys on humans (Chandelure if you don't know) is a ghost type which is super effective against psychics; the reason that most humans don't seems to use psychic moves it's because afters tens of thousands of years of using pokemon people have no need to use their powers anymore
To futher expand on this theory, mabey this is why people are afraid of ghosts, bugs, and dark. Some primal instinct could make them afraid of these thing because when they had to fight with their powers, theses types were their weaknesses.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
There's also the alternate explanation that while humans are psychic types they don't learn psychic moves by level up so all their psychic moves (and probably aura abilities too) are egg moves
Sabrina says some stuff in FRLG and HGSS that supports this theory a bit.

"Psychic power isn't something that only a few people have. Everyone has psychic power. People just don't realize it.

This supports the idea that psychic powers are inherent in humans just as they are in Psychic-type Pokemon species.

"Your love for your Pokémon smashed my psychic abilities... The ability to love, I think, is some kind of psychic ability..."

People use their psychic powers passively, without realizing it is an ability, as Sabrina said. Although I'm not sure if she actually meant it literally or was just being poetic.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I wonder why Wailord is compatible with Skitty... Imagine in real life, trying to breed a whale with a cat?
I love that theory, simply because skitty is the one used all the time but diglett can breed too, who is smaller than skitty.

Also good luck getting something that lives in the ocean breeding with something that lives under the earth.

I wonder why Wailord is compatible with Skitty... Imagine in real life, trying to breed a whale with a cat?

Because whales are mammals.

Still wierd though, but thats the main reason Wailord is included in that egg-group.

Kingler's ability to breed with Archeops is much wierder.

Clever and inventive though not entirely plausible (but like all metaphors able to work). Liberalism and Conservatism have nothing to do with truth and idealism directly. Both 'isms' are in the ways idealistic and both full of their fair share of 'we speak the truth'.

Clearly though the nature of truth and idea, and the fact that you can only merge one with Kyurem, indicates that their is a competition between the two giant dragons. So with enough kerjiggering the metaphor can be modified to work.

Actually this makes me wonder what would happen if you merged Kyurem with BOTH of em. :D Theorize that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)